Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 The Avengers: Infinity War predictions 

Opening weekend?
Poll ended at Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:48 am
less than $150m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
$150m-175m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
$175m-200m 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
$200m-225m 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
$225m-250m 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
more than $250m 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

The Avengers: Infinity War predictions 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: The Avengers: Infinity War predictions (now opening 4/27
This is a stupid move. The OW will suffer. But the 2nd weekend will have a great drop.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:35 pm
Top Poster

This Might cause the opening weekend to fall short unless they get the ton of marketing material with may 4th pulled off advertisements.

Someone may be yanking everyone's chain with their twitter account, as no official press release has gone out.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Top Poster

Definately agree with moving Rampage up a week now, What if Fox F's with them by moving Deadpool up to the 4th weekend..... :whistle: :twisted:

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 pm
Forum General

Yeah this is a great move IMO. Not only because it will help legs, but also because no one will really have to worry about spoilers since most will be seeing it at the same time. Its not like its anything new either because Fast Five did this as well, but those first two weekends of May are definitely going to be weak, and Rampage is pretty much fucked now lol.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm
Defeats all expectations

So Disney made a last minute move to open IW day-and-date with other overseas markets. I think the reason behind it was that they believe the movie is not going to have very good audience reception.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:12 pm
Forum General

i.hope wrote:
So Disney made a last minute move to open IW day-and-date with other overseas markets. I think the reason behind it was that they believe the movie is not going to have very good audience reception.

Well going by that reasoning it sounds like they would have been better off releasing it the same day and date as the U.S. Even if they hadn't changed it people who have already seen it OS would have let everyone know what the quality of the movie was which could have be just as damaging if even more so than just waiting a week.

I honestly think its a move based on them wanting to avoid potentially huge spoilers getting out before everyone has had the chance to see it, but who knows you could right as well.

Last edited by Dil on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:36 pm
Speed Racer

April weekend record

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:44 pm
Extraordinary

This would've been a good time for Deadpool to move to May 11 but eh.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:06 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Who would have thought just 4-5 years ago that we'd soon see the top 3 biggest openers of all time released in December and April!!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:19 pm
Deshi Basara

They wanted the April record and to not beat their own May record, and maybe to see if they could pull off all time record in April. Smells mostly like ego. Eventually we'll have a different genre of Marvel/Disney/SW every month of the year.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:45 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Apart from making billions, Disney is just wanting to provide content for their streaming service. Hope that service flops to be honest.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:50 pm
Speed Racer

I still believe they moved it up one week because Robert Downey Jr. wanted to see it with his friends earlier...

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

They want to set the all time worldwide weekend record

Last edited by Rev on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:13 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Magnus wrote:
MadGez wrote:
Apart from making billions, Disney is just wanting to provide content for their streaming service. Hope that service flops to be honest.

really? I think it's actually fundamental that Disney OOTP is a big success. Netflix/Amazon/Hulu frankly make shit movies and can get away with it because there's no real competition in streaming for movies. Disney releasing quality content can push people to focus more on quality vs. quantity.

That would be a positive yes. Maybe I was a little harsh.

Though I think the quality of movies made for streaming will improve over time anyway as the studios focus more and more on event films and the mid size film becomes a streaming staple.

Disney don't see themselves as being in direct competition with Netflix and co. as they have a limited range of branded titles vs. Netflix insane volume. I guess it all depends if consumers want to pay for yet another streaming service. Time will tell.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:29 pm
Defeats all expectations

Magnus wrote:
MadGez wrote:

really? I think it's actually fundamental that Disney OOTP is a big success. Netflix/Amazon/Hulu frankly make shit movies and can get away with it because there's no real competition in streaming for movies. Disney releasing quality content can push people to focus more on quality vs. quantity.

Netflix/Amazon make non-IP movies, not necessarily shit movies. Some are very good movies.

Hulu don't make movies and is co-owned by Disney, Fox (soon under Disney), and Universal. It looks like Netflix will soon part way with Disney's Marvel, seeking other IP deals (Stupid to help Disney grow its brand.).

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:26 pm
Defeats all expectations

MadGez wrote:

Disney don't see themselves as being in direct competition with Netflix and co. as they have a limited range of branded titles vs. Netflix insane volume.

I don't think that's true. With its streaming service launching soon, Disney is going to pull a substantial part of its library (and Fox's too) from Netflix, granting its new streaming service exclusive access. It is in direct competition with Netflix and Amazon in streaming service.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:33 pm
Defeats all expectations

Magnus wrote:
99.9% of Netflix "original" movies are shit (I say original in quotes cause movies like Cloverfield Paradox won't really developed by them but just bought after the fact). I don't actually think I'm exaggerating with that number given the amount of movies they have and how much almost all of them are shit.

Streaming is here to stay and everyone should want more competition in the space for better quality, diverse of content, and better prices. I very much hope Disney is a success and others fall suit.

I can name a few Netflix movies that have earned great reviews: Beasts of No Nation, Okja, Gerald's Game, The Meyerowitz Stories and Mudbound. The main difference between Netflix/Amazon and Disney in movie production is Netflix/Amazon take on a more independent/ creative project-based approach and Disney brands only do IPs.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:54 pm
Begging Naked

It seemed weird to me that this was gonna open a week earlier overseas than in the U.S., considering that there are probably some major things happening that can/would get spoiled. I know the other Avengers movies did the same thing, but there's even more shit happening in this one, I'm sure.

Still, very surprised they went with it. I'm fascinated more than anything. At least this spreads out the mega-openers slightly.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

i.hope wrote:
MadGez wrote:

Disney don't see themselves as being in direct competition with Netflix and co. as they have a limited range of branded titles vs. Netflix insane volume.

I don't think that's true. With its streaming service launching soon, Disney is going to pull a substantial part of its library (and Fox's too) from Netflix, granting its new streaming service exclusive access. It is in direct competition with Netflix and Amazon in streaming service.

They don't see themselves as in direct competition even though they are to an extent. That's also their way of saying - keep Netflix but pay for our service for these awesome franchises. So in essence they are backing on quality (major brands) over quantity.

Keen to see what they can do with the SW TV series they are planning.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:28 pm
now we know

Yeah, competition between streaming services doesn't exist to the extent that competition exists between films shown theatrically. The buy-in is much less, and with binge watching being such a thing these days, viewers can have multiple services and view many more films than the traditional way.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

MadGez wrote:
i.hope wrote:
MadGez wrote:

They don't see themselves as in direct competition even though they are to an extent. That's also their way of saying - keep Netflix but pay for our service for these awesome franchises. So in essence they are backing on quality (major brands) over quantity.

Keen to see what they can do with the SW TV series they are planning.

Nah, Disney has the quantity too. Remember they have the whole film library from Marvel, Pixar, Touchstone, Fox, etc, and their TV divisions (Disney, FX, ESPN, etc). It will be much more than a Netflix with a giant advantage in TV/cable/theatrical content and distribution network. In economics term, it is a vertical integration.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:06 am
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
Yeah, competition between streaming services doesn't exist to the extent that competition exists between films shown theatrically. The buy-in is much less, and with binge watching being such a thing these days, viewers can have multiple services and view many more films than the traditional way.

What Disney is doing is to combine content and distribution with their existing network infrastructure. With the pending acquisition of Fox, I think their network is big enough to keep competition from using their content and distribution.

I don't think Netflix/Amazon can compete with that.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:16 am
Extraordinary

Jonathan wrote:
It seemed weird to me that this was gonna open a week earlier overseas than in the U.S.

Most Marvel movies opened a week earlier internationally to take advantage of Labor Day - which is May 1st all over the world except the U.S.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I'm assuming they just want to avoid spoilers when one of the Avengers dies

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

Magnus wrote:
99.9% of Netflix "original" movies are shit (I say original in quotes cause movies like Cloverfield Paradox won't really developed by them but just bought after the fact). I don't actually think I'm exaggerating with that number given the amount of movies they have and how much almost all of them are shit.

One day people will see their original TV shows have been just as flawed this whole time.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next