Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 2922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 117  Next
 China Box Office 
now we know

Post Re: China Box Office
Well, maybe he's right. I cannot see it listed anywhere for release, but China reporting is so inconsistent and so last-minute that it could well open next week and it would not surprise me.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

If it opens - what can we expect from China?

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:39 am
Profile WWW
now we know

If it opens next week (and that would be a very important condition), then it could make over $100m. If it opens after the blackout, in the mix with other imports, then I'd say just $60m. And if it opens on the same day as other big foreign films, then even less.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:42 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... an-1020258

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:44 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Transformers: The Last Knight fell out of the top ten with $228m, so we can safely say that that's its final total.

Despicable Me 3 is up to $132m.

Wolf Warriors 2 is released on 27th July, and it stars Frank Grillo. So while foreign movies are on blackout, there are still a few foreign faces on posters as they are starring in Chinese films. The blackout doesn't seem to be going as planned for the Chinese government. Wu Kong has grossed only $88m after ten days. Brotherhood of Blades has grossed $20m after four days. The first big foreign movie to be released will surely clean up because of the pent-up demand for foreign films (Cars 3 is for kids and Baby Driver won't be it, but Dunkirk on 1st September will surely make bank).

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Due to their being no other foreign films allowed in release, Despicable Me 3 is holding well. It has been in release for 20 days and is still making over $1m a day. Cume stands at $141m.

I am interested to see how Wolf Warriors 2 performs, but I suspect it will make next-to-nothing as it is just another actioner. But we'll see.

In release date news, Spider-Man: Homecoming has been give an 8th September date, and War for the Planet of the Apes has been given a 15th September date. These are good dates and both should be able to live together and make some good money. It is one big movie for three weeks in a row as Dunkirk opens on 1st September, but that's no different than the US. The only difference is that shelf-life in China is much shorter.

I'll be seeing Dunkirk and Spider-Man: Homecoming again.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Algren wrote:

In release date news, Spider-Man: Homecoming has been give an 8th September date, and War for the Planet of the Apes has been given a 15th September date. These are good dates and both should be able to live together and make some good money. It is one big movie for three weeks in a row as Dunkirk opens on 1st September, but that's no different than the US. The only difference is that shelf-life in China is much shorter.

I'll be seeing Dunkirk and Spider-Man: Homecoming again.

Looks like Dunkirk is screwed in China with the very popular Spidey coming out only a week later. Dunkirk probably won't do much more than $20-30m. But I guess that's better than getting $0 from China like TDK in 2008.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:01 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I do not believe Dunkirk is the type of film that Chinese people would love anyway. Even if it had a month to itself, I do not think it would make much. Outside of it being an IMAX film, there isn't much to excite Chinese audiences. It has no Chinese stars, is about a historical event that nobody knows about, it's not in 3D, it has no American stars, it's not exciting in the way that big films are usually exciting, there's no comedy, and there's not even really any money shots. I do not believe Nolan is a draw in China as he is elsewhere. The film is probably too ambitious and experimental for Chinese audiences to appreciate.

Its first week will tell all, so we will see. But I am betting that we will be able to see signs that even if Spider-Man: Homecoming were to be postponed, it would not make much difference to its total. The only thing Dunkirk has in its favour is being the first "major" foreign film released after the blackout, but even then I am not sure that will factor in since Baby Driver and Cars 3 before it and Spider-Man: Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes after it will more than make up for the blackout.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Under the right circumstance it wouldn't be very difficult for any film to make $100m in it's first weekend in China. Interstellar made $40m and that this would really be any precedent you can count on in China, the drought of foreign films is definitely going to play a role. So I think opening weekend it's going to do no worse than $50m and should be able to do $100m total. Spiderman: homecoming on the other hand should be more popular and see it finishing with a total between $150m and $200m.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:55 am
now we know

Interstellar opened on a Wednesday and made $42m thru Sunday. It was a five-day gross, not opening weekend gross. Interstellar also had to contend with no foreign films for its entire run, and still it only ended up with $120m. It is not a comparable title, in my opinion. I know you want it to be because it makes thing easy, but there are too many differences.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Algren wrote:
Interstellar opened on a Wednesday and made $42m thru Sunday. It was a five-day gross, not opening weekend gross. Interstellar also had to contend with no foreign films for its entire run, and still it only ended up with $120m. It is not a comparable title, in my opinion. I know you want it to be because it makes thing easy, but there are too many differences.

Tend to think sci-fi is definitely more attractive to Chinese audiences than a WW2 film with no Chinese or American characters.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:

Yeah, I feel my wording didn't exactly come out right there. I agree it's unlikely to have any influence on how Dunkirk will do.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:53 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Would be interesting to see now how Dunkirk does in China. People claim that Nolan is big everywhere but I don't think that's the case outside Inception which had some amazing concept that got people interested.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:34 am
Speed Racer

Only China can save Dunkrik right now and Inception was partially inspired by satoshi kon's anime film Paparika, but credit wasn't given :(

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:43 am
Extraordinary

I read that VALERIAN is opening August 25th...

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:33 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Where did you read that? I still do not see it on the schedule. It would not surprise me. Allowing three foreign films to open on the same day is a classic move by the Chinese authorities.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Ha! Just another actioner ... it is not! Wolf Warriors 2 is kicking ass in the battle of the action films. The Founding of an Army has made just $13m in two days against Wolf's $45m in the same time (and it made $31m on its second day). I am pleased that the one with the foreigner (Frank Grillo) is making bank and nobody is interested in the Chinese Mao propagandist shit.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:06 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
Where did you read that? I still do not see it on the schedule. It would not surprise me. Allowing three foreign films to open on the same day is a classic move by the Chinese authorities.
It was news in a German trade paper...

Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:11 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
and nobody is interested in the Chinese Mao propagandist shit.
I read over at BO forums that they're deleting bad reviews...

Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:12 am
Profile WWW
now we know

mark66 wrote:
Algren wrote:

Hmm. I am not saying otherwise, but I find it hard to believe that a German paper would know ahead of Chinese movie outlets. I cannot see Valerian on any schedule anywhere. Weird.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:52 am
Profile WWW
now we know

mark66 wrote:
Algren wrote:
and nobody is interested in the Chinese Mao propagandist shit.
I read over at BO forums that they're deleting bad reviews...

That's going to be a full time job! But seriously, ugh, this kind of thing just makes me sick to the stomach.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
mark66 wrote:
Algren wrote:

Hmm. I am not saying otherwise, but I find it hard to believe that a German paper would know ahead of Chinese movie outlets. I cannot see Valerian on any schedule anywhere. Weird.
DLH says it too: http://deadline.com/2017/07/valerian-ch ... 202137438/

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:32 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I guess China is just slow at reporting it then.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:55 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Fuck. A $45m Saturday puts Wolf Warriors 2 up to $91m after just three days. I saw it last night. It is perfect entertainment for Chinese people. Action, jokes, national pride, propaganda. It's all there, and it is not a boring period piece about Mao Zedong. It's actually interesting to see two movies that overlap released on the same day. It just proves that maybe when the Chinese do that with foreign movies, there is no agenda, they just have no idea what they're doing. Well, that's a theory anyway. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Good that nothing REALLY broke records and hopefully the government learns something from this poor scheduling.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 2922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 117  Next