Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565, 566 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Speed Racer

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Obliterating Record Books
Already 4 mil views. It seems nice especially if it can atract people who have not known, cared, read, watched this series.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:32 pm
Speed Racer

Just have a fast look at all Toho cinema in Kanto area.
At 7h30 am 26/10
There are 3-4 theaters with all the shows lower 50% tickets sold. For the rest bunch of theather, all the shows have at least 50% full, and round 30-35% shows have 80% full

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:46 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Today will be interesting. Last Monday was massive, but that could be attributed to possible opening weekend spillover. Tuesday-Friday then more or less behaved as they normally would relative to Monday, suggesting that while spillover may have been a beneficial factor, it's doing well regardless of any weekend spillover.

I wouldn't anticipate some crazy 10% weekday-to-week day holds or anything. What I'm personally looking for is 20-30% drops, which will be more than good enough to suggest the momentum is still there as it nears its third weekend.

Also, it's been announced that this upcoming Saturday will have another round of stage greetings broadcast nationwide during a specific showtime (likely 8/9am). It's normal for a big film to have a day of stage greetings occur during their opening weekend (like Demon Slayer had when it opened), but definitely not on its THIRD weekend.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I think this will end up with 45B in the end though I'm hoping for 50B but that might be a stretch.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:21 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Before today begins, the programmer for the usual locations said last night that due to more theaters resuming 100% capacity on the weekdays now, and chains (like Toho) having a mix of locations at 50% or 100% on the weekdays depending on how busy they are, that Monday's updates may be inaccurate until he reprograms the system to account for changes.

So if anything looks unusual, wait until later in the day and see how things look then.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Unless the program is somehow adding admissions (don't think that's possible the day of sales), this morning's start is... ridiculous. It's up 2% versus last Monday. No holiday or anything, just a regular ol' Monday in October (weakest month of the year, LOL). It broke the Monday record (including holidays) last week, just in case no one knew from the numbers updates.

I need to go back and look at last Monday's updates to see if it's a bug .

It's early, so let's see what this madness leads to later.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

This is so nuts I finally made an account over here to get in on the action directly. Been lurking around this thread for a few years (BOT user) — thanks for all the great work you do Corpse! I don’t know of as authoritative a source on the English speaking internet for any single market.

An observation that came up on BOT but I’m not sure I’ve seen here yet is that with $100M in 11 days (or maybe 10 if actuals are up a bit?) Japan has now overtaken South Korea and the United Kingdom for record speed to $100M.

I’m thinking we can pass $150M for the end of 3rd weekend, does that sound about right?

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:48 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

There is indeed a bug in the ticket sales today (% change compared to last Monday) as the programmer announced might happen last night. It's not really up over last Monday, not that that's bad! Keep expectations at least somewhat realistic, even if still high. The hourly updates also don't line up too well with last Monday (about 10 minutes off) to do manual comparisons, but it appears to be down somewhere around 25-30% after the morning showings. VERY good.

If it keeps a similar pace for the entire day, it'll be aiming for a second Monday between ¥475-500 million ($4.5-4.8 million) and might reach ¥11 billion in 11-days depending on where the weekend actuals land, which should be announced in the next few hours (they'll be released before stocks close in Japan, that's for sure).

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

WandaLegion wrote:
This is so nuts I finally made an account over here to get in on the action directly. Been lurking around this thread for a few years (BOT user) — thanks for all the great work you do Corpse! I don’t know of as authoritative a source on the English speaking internet for any single market.

An observation that came up on BOT but I’m not sure I’ve seen here yet is that with $100M in 11 days (or maybe 10 if actuals are up a bit?) Japan has now overtaken South Korea and the United Kingdom for record speed to $100M.

I’m thinking we can pass $150M for the end of 3rd weekend, does that sound about right?

Welcome to the forum. And thanks for the kind words. :thumbsup:

In regard to comparisons with South Korea and the United Kingdom, also keep in mind how backloaded and leggy a market Japan is compared to most. The average multiplier each year is typically around 7, and that's indeed just an average because many of the biggest films easy break 10 multipliers every year. And while both those markets can get films to certain milestones (such as $100 million) faster, but they're smaller markets overall.

That said, the fact that Japan has had a film reach $100 million BEFORE South Korea and the United Kingdom is just another achievement to add to this film's performance.

$150 million after next Sunday would require a gross around ¥15.7/15.8 billion. It's *possible*, but it'll be realistically aiming to hit ¥15 billion (~$140-145 million) even, I believe, after next Sunday (17 days), reaching the milestone in less than half the time it took the current record holder, Spirited Away (36 days)

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

At 12pm it is dropping around 30% comparing to last Monday.... need to improve a bit in the afternoon and evening show

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:11 pm
Speed Racer

Yeah, 150 is a bit ambitious. If we can add ~¥5B in the next 7 days, might be able to make a run at ¥20B in the same time as previous record ¥10B. That would be aesthetically neat, but for now seems like the smart bet is against by a day or two.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:13 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Danhjpn wrote:
At 12pm it is dropping around 30% comparing to last Monday.... need to improve a bit in the afternoon and evening show

It probably will a bit, but don't be disappointed with a ~30% Mon.-Mon. drop. It is going to begin to stabilize at least somewhat in the near future. It can't remain flat or experience 10% drops forever.

And it's still likely going to be the second biggest Monday ever, after itself last Monday. I will definitely need to check this claim, though, because a lot of big films like to open in mid-July just before the Umi no Hi (Ocean Day) holiday which lands on the third Monday of July. There aren't many candidates to check since Demon Slayer's numbers are so high, but I suspect one or two may be higher.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

WandaLegion wrote:
Yeah, 150 is a bit ambitious. If we can add ~¥5B in the next 7 days, might be able to make a run at ¥20B in the same time as previous record ¥10B. That would be aesthetically neat, but for now seems like the smart bet is against by a day or two.

Next Tuesday is a national holiday (Culture Day), which will be its first holiday to benefit from. Its numbers on the weekends are already so high, that improving on them is nigh impossible, but weekday holidays can sometimes approach the strength of a Saturday or Sunday, so it'll receive a big boost to its total on November 3rd.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Actuals:
10,754,232,550 yen
7,983,442 admissions

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:33 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Good thing I was conservative with the weekday estimates! Always nice to see a number nicely above estimates rather than below them.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'll wait for the weekend actuals (second weekend itself) before updating all the lists again, and will adjust last week's weekdays on the daily tracker and records lists to get as close to their actual figure as possible.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Second Weekend: ¥3,041,448,750 ($29.1 million) [-9%] / 2,272,836 admissions
10-Day Total: ¥10,754,232,550 ($102.4 million) / 7,983,442 admissions

All the charts will be incoming again in the next half hour or so. I doubt we'll get Saturday and Sunday breakdowns (pretty rare in the market, outside of big opening weekends sometimes), so I'll estimate them and update later if they're released.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

So it did increase over Corpse's estimates. #RecordsSlayerTrain

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:55 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Corpse wrote:
Second Weekend: ¥3,041,448,750 ($29.1 million) [-9%] / 2,272,836 admissions
10-Day Total: ¥10,754,232,550 ($102.4 million) / 7,983,442 admissions

All the charts will be incoming again in the next half hour or so. I doubt we'll get Saturday and Sunday breakdowns (pretty rare in the market, outside of big opening weekends sometimes), so I'll estimate them and update later if they're released.

Sub-10% drop :whaa: what's next increase over its second weekend and 3rd weekend above 3B? :excited:

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:58 pm
Speed Racer

Well with those actuals I will fully board the $150M 3rd wknd cume train and the ¥20B 25 day train.

It’s great to have a truly nuts performance somewhere in the world in this otherwise awful BO year,

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:07 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - Daily Performance Tracker

10/16 - Fri.: ¥1,268,724,700 ($12.0 million) / 910,507
10/17 - Sat.: ¥1,701,723,350 ($16.2 million) / 1,270,234
10/18 - Sun.: ¥1,652,669,400 ($15.7 million) / 1,239,752
10/19 - Mon.: ¥735,000,000 ($7.0 million) / 545,000
10/20 - Tues.: ¥545,000,000 ($5.1 million) / 395,000
10/21 - Wed.: ¥635,000,000 ($6.0 million) / 505,000
10/22 - Thur.: ¥470,000,000 ($4.5 million) / 340,000
10/23 - Fri.: ¥695,000,000 ($6.6 million) / 505,000
10/24 - Sat.: ¥1,500,944,600 ($14.3 million) / 1,115,182
10/25 - Sun.: ¥1,540,504,150 ($14.7 million) / 1,157,654

10-Day Cumulative Total: ¥10,754,232,550 ($102.4 million) / 7,983,442

Last week's weekdays (10/19-23) have been adjusted from their earlier estimates. To get these new numbers, I simply took the percentage share each day had at the usual's from the estimated cumulative total for 10/19-23 and applied that to the actual cumulative total for 10/19-23. So while they're still technically estimates, they're as close as they can possibly get.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:09 am
Profile WWW

Finally created my own account in here; been lurking in this thread for 4 years (this is the page where it lead me into when I searched for Zootopia's BO performance at Japan). Also thank you Corpse for providing the BO performances of movies that gets released in Japan!

Its kinda crazy that we're currently seeing a film that's continuing to break record after record of past BO performances at an outstanding pace. At this point, I think it will surpass Spirited Away's BO by a large margin, unless it suddenly decides to drop like crazy (which I think is unlikely but still there's a possibility).

Also what do you think is an ideal drop for Demon Slayer at it's 3rd weekend (Although the weekdays just started)? I think a drop between 20% - 30% would be great, amazing even, but since its still performing pretty crazy at this point, I would not be surprised if it managed to drop a sub-10% again at its 3rd weekend.

And I just saw your post regarding a stage greeting that will take place on Saturday, do you think that this will boost its weekend performance?

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:10 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Welcome to the forum! Two new members today. :)

I'll reply to your post here shortly, after I update all the lists.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Biggest Second Weekends
Biggest Second Weekends/Two Week Totals (2000-):

¥3.04 billion ($29.1 million), -09%, ¥10.75 billion ($102.4 million) - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (2020)
¥1.26 billion ($11.6 million), -35%, ¥4.19 billion ($38.5 million) - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
¥1.25 billion ($11.7 million), -16%, ¥4.75 billion ($44.5 million) - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
¥1.17 billion ($9.6 million), -21%, ¥4.39 billion ($36.2 million) - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
¥1.16 billion ($11.2 million), +25%, ¥3.87 billion ($37.6 million) - Your Name. (2016)
¥1.12 billion ($10.0 million), +05%, ¥3.65 billion ($32.7 million) - Beauty and the Beast (2017)
¥1.11 billion ($13.8 million), -08%, ¥3.61 billion ($44.4 million) - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
¥1.10 billion ($10.1 million), -02%, ¥3.58 billion ($33.0 million) - Aladdin (2019)
¥1.09 billion ($9.3 million), -50%, ¥4.68 billion ($39.7 million) - The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
¥1.08 billion ($9.0 million), -19%, ¥3.62 billion ($30.1 million) - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
¥1.04 billion ($10.8 million), -14%, ¥3.33 billion ($33.8 million) - Rookies (2009)
¥1.02 billion ($10.9 million), -22%, ¥3.54 billion ($37.7 million) - Alice in Wonderland (2010)
¥1.02 billion ($9.1 million), -20%, ¥3.60 billion ($31.7 million) - The Da Vinci Code (2006)
¥1.01 billion ($9.3 million), -15%, ¥3.99 billion ($36.8 million) - Weathering With You (2019)

¥886 million ($8.0 million), -39%, ¥3.59 billion ($32.3 million) - Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire (2019)
¥872 million ($8.6 million), +13%, ¥3.01 billion ($29.6 million) - Frozen (2014)
¥860 million ($8.0 million), -04%, ¥2.49 billion ($23.1 million) - Finding Nemo (2003)
¥855 million ($7.9 million), -38%, ¥3.99 billion ($36.9 million) - Toy Story 4 (2019)
¥820 million ($7.6 million), -37%, ¥3.23 billion ($30.0 million) - Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer (2018)
¥820 million ($7.1 million), -19%, ¥2.98 billion ($25.8 million) - Hero (2007)
¥814 million ($7.3 million), -62%, ¥4.07 billion ($36.1 million) - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)
¥811 million ($8.3 million), -16%, ¥2.85 billion ($29.2 million) - The Wind Rises (2013)
¥810 million ($7.5 million), -48%, ¥3.43 billion ($30.8 million) - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2004)
¥806 million ($7.6 million), -22%, ¥3.23 billion ($30.5 million) - Ponyo (2008)
¥757 million ($6.8 million), -38%, ¥3.56 billion ($31.6 million) - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
¥756 million ($7.1 million), -25%, ¥2.62 billion ($25.0 million) - Boys Over Flowers: Final (2008)
¥748 million ($6.8 million), -42%, ¥2.76 billion ($25.1 million) - Detective Conan: Crimson Love Letter (2017)
¥744 million ($6.6 million), -13%, ¥2.89 billion ($25.6 million) - Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)
¥740 million ($6.5 million), -29%, ¥2.62 billion ($23.2 million) - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)
¥728 million ($8.2 million), -26%, ¥2.37 billion ($27.3 million) - Toy Story 3 (2010)
¥726 million ($6.0 million), -42%, ¥3.84 billion ($31.8 million) - Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
¥708 million ($6.3 million), -27%, ¥2.35 billion ($21.8 million) - Umizaru: The Limit of Love (2006)
¥705 million ($6.1 million), -63%, ¥3.75 billion ($32.4 million) - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
¥704 million ($8.6 million), -48%, ¥2.86 billion ($34.7 million) - One Piece Film Z (2012)
¥704 million ($6.6 million), -17%, ¥1.71 billion ($16.0 million) - Doraemon: Nobita's Treasure Island (2018)
¥703 million ($7.2 million), -17%, ¥2.49 billion ($25.4 million) - Monsters University (2013)
¥701 million ($6.9 million), -09%, ¥3.27 billion ($32.1 million) - Stand By Me, Doraemon (2014)

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Aspiring Director

Corpse wrote:
Last week's weekdays (10/19-23) have been adjusted from their earlier estimates. To get these new numbers, I simply took the percentage share each day had at the usual's from the estimated cumulative total for 10/19-23 and applied that to the actual cumulative total for 10/19-23. So while they're still technically estimates, they're as close as they can possibly get.

Same basically applies for 10/24 and 10/25 since I doubt they'll be released as individual dailies. I just took the actual weekend gross/admissions and split that up based on the % share each day had at the usual's over the weekend to get an estimate.

The numbers seems to have been released
Sat:1,115,182 admission and 1,594,600,000 revenue
Sun:1,157,654 admission and 1,540,504,150 revenue

https://twitter.com/moviewalker_bce/sta ... 4696493056

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565, 566 ... 952  Next