Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557, 558 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Fastest to 5 Million Admissions
Fastest Films to 5 Million Admissions (31 Days or Less) [2000-]

7 - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (2020)
16 - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
16 - Spirited Away (2001)
17 - Yo-Kai Watch: It's the Secret of Birth, Nyan! (2014)
17 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
17 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
18 - Your Name. (2016)
19 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
20 - Beauty and the Beast (2017)
20 - Frozen (2014)
20 - Ponyo (2008)
21 - Alice in Wonderland (2010)
21 - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (2003)
21 - The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
22 - Frozen II (2019)
22 - Weathering With You (2019)
22 - Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire (2019)
22 - Code Blue (2018)
22 - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
24 - Toy Story 4 (2019)
24 - Aladdin (2019)
24 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
24 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
24 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
25 - The Da Vinci Code (2006)
26 - The Wind Rises (2013)
26 - Rookies (2009)
27 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
27 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2004)
28 - Arrietty (2010)
29 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)
30 - Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer (2018)
30 - One Piece Film Z (2012)
30 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (2011)

And Demon Slayer is at a technical "disadvantage" by opening in the off-season. Most uber-blockbusters tend to open within a couple weeks before a major holiday period, understandably, so most (but not all) of the films reached 5 million in the number of days above with some kind of boost (Spring Break, Golden Week, Summer Vacation, Obon Festival, New Year).

Of course, seeing as how big Demon Slayer's numbers are unprecedented already, it honestly couldn't have been posting much higher numbers even if its first week was a holiday week. And films that achieve social phenomenon status also don't really need holidays either since they basically create their own holiday boost by bringing in audiences that wouldn't otherwise be coming out outside of the weekend or holidays, and/or repeat viewers.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Obliterating Record Books
It's a bit hard to imagine it only dropping 20% after such a ridicolous weekend tbh, but we'll see.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:38 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - Record of Slayed Records List

-Highest Theater Count (403 = 365 + 38 IMAX)
-Highest Screen Count (TBA)
-Highest Nationwide Theater Seating Share (57.8%)
-Highest Showtime Count (22.4 avg. per theater)
-Highest Number of Seats (252.4 avg. per showing)
-Highest 2-Day Patrons Per Theater Avg. (6,228)
-Highest 3-Day Patrons Per Theater Avg. (8,488)
-Highest 2-Day PTA (¥8.32 million ($78,900))
-Highest 3-Day PTA (¥11.47 million ($108,700))

-First Japanese Film to Top the Global Weekend Box-Office (Week 42/52, 2020)
-Biggest IMAX Opening [¥238 million ($2.3 million); ¥6.26 million ($59,600) avg. per screen]

-Biggest 2-Day Opening Weekend (¥3,354,392,750 ($31.9 million))
-Biggest 3-Day Opening Weekend (¥4,623,117,450 ($43.9 million))
-Biggest 2-Day Opening Weekend Admissions (2,509,986)
-Biggest 3-Day Opening Weekend Admissions (3,420,493)

-Biggest Opening Day
-Biggest Single Day (Saturday)
-Biggest Second Single Day (Sunday)
-Biggest Third Single Day (Friday)

-Biggest Friday (¥1,268,724,700 ($12.0 million))
-Biggest Saturday (¥1,701,723,350 ($16.2 million))
-Biggest Sunday (¥1,652,669,400 ($15.7 million))
-Biggest Monday (¥670,000,000 ($6.4 million)) *est.*
-Biggest Tuesday (¥490,000,000 ($4.6 million)) *est.*
-Biggest Wednesday (¥570,000,000 ($5.4 million)) *est.*
-Biggest Thursday (¥420,000,000 ($4.0 million)) *est.*

-Biggest 1-Day Total (¥1,268,724,700 ($12.0 million))
-Biggest 2-Day Total (¥2,970,448,050 ($28.2 million))
-Biggest 3-Day Total (¥4,623,117,450 ($43.9 million))
-Biggest 4-Day Total (¥5,293,117,450 ($50.3 million)) *est.*
-Biggest 5-Day Total (¥5,783,117,450 ($54.9 million)) *est.*
-Biggest 6-Day Total (¥6,353,117,450 ($60.3 million)) *est.*
-Biggest 7-Day Total (¥6,773,117,450 ($64.3 million)) *est.*

-Fastest to ¥1 Billion (1-Day)
-Fastest to ¥2 Billion (2-Days)
-Fastest to ¥3 Billion (3-Days)
-Fastest to ¥4 Billion (3-Days)
-Fastest to ¥5 Billion (4-Days)
-Fastest to ¥6 Billion (6-Days)

-Fastest to 1 Million Admissions (2-Days)
-Fastest to 2 Million Admissions (2-Days)
-Fastest to 3 Million Admissions (3-Days)
-Fastest to 4 Million Admissions (5-Days)
-Fastest to 5 Million Admissions (7-Days)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:40 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

I hope it manages a sub 30% drop. That would already be amazing.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:50 pm
Speed Racer

So the target for tomorrow (Friday) is around Monday or Wednesday number?

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:12 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Correct. I expect the day to begin at a similar pace as Tues./Thurs., but the evening and night buisness on Friday will be much stonger and likely push it around Mon./Wed. levels. Preferably it'll beat both Monday and Wednesday, but that shouldn't be expected as it's not particularly common for Friday's to outperform them outside of opening day Friday's.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Would that be enough to deliver the second best Friday ever?

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I believe so, after its own opening day.

I'm going to do some research and try to confirm. Same for Saturday and Sunday since it could claim the second biggest grosses ever for those days this weekend as well, again, only after its own Saturday and Sunday last week.

Does anyone know if a film has done that bedore in the U.S. or other established markets?

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Is it possible to check to the presale for the weekend? XD

Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:08 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Presales for Saturday will be released (at ~50% of the market) as usual, but Friday presales have never been released aside from last Friday's Demon Slayer sales since they were so ridiculous. The Friday presales alone were enough to break the Friday record, and very likely high enough to have even claimed the second biggest Friday record... after itself.

And just looking at a few key theaters, I can already determine its Friday will certainly match or beat Monday/Wednesday.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Also, Saturday seating and showtimes have come out and it's nearly as high as last Saturday. Seating and showtimes are down a mere 5% versus last Saturday, and that's not accounting for 6 locations that weren't processed correctly, so... it's probably only down like 2 or 3%. Its second weekend release is high enough to claim the second widest release record by over 50% in showtimes... after itself last weekend.

I don't think we have anything to worry about in terms of it suddenly dropping off. It's going to have a monstrous second weekend as well. Many of the busy locations are already near or over 50% full for the entire day on Saturday 24 hours out.

17/21 showings at Toho Umeda on Sat are over 50% full (5/21 are 80% full).
11/22 showings at Toho Namba on Sat are over 50% full (3/22 are 80% full).
16/35 showings at Toho Shinjuku on Sat are over 50% full (12/35 are 80% full).

It's going to be a near repeat of last weekend, so expect that 20% second weekend drop (or better) right now unless the rural locations fell off a cliff or something.

We have indeed reached the point of after breaking every possible record so far (and that's not exaggerating), that its dailies from this point are going to come in second place all-time behind itself.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

I wonder how many consecutive weekends Demon Slayer can earn above ¥1 billion. I believe the current record is 3 weekends, with a few films narrowly missing the target on their 4th weekend.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:49 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Probably like 7 or 8. I wish I was kidding. LOL.

So... Aeon Cinemas has already crashed going into Friday. However, rather than just an error message coming up or it loading endlessly like many times last weekend, they have a system in place this weekend....

When you click on the theater you want to buy your ticket at, you're given a WAITING NUMBER. I just checked one location and I'm behind 49,945 people currently in line (it's 8am in Japan)... I'm trying to get a screen capture to share.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Here is the message translated (surprisingly well by Google, I might add).

Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Corpse wrote:
Probably like 7 or 8. I wish I was kidding. LOL.

So... Aeon Cinemas has already crashed going into Friday. However, rather than just an error message coming up or it loading endlessly like many times last weekend, they have a system in place this weekend....

When you click on the theater you want to buy your ticket at, you're given a WAITING NUMBER. I just checked one location and I'm behind 49,945 people currently in line (it's 8am in Japan)... I'm trying to get a screen capture to share.

My god. :whaa:

Also, the current record for most weekends at #1 is 22 by Titanic. Will Demon Slayer also take that record? Unless I'm missing another major film, it seems the only one guaranteed to knock it down is Detective Conan in April.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:26 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Despite Hollywood delaying their films, the release schedule in Japan this year, and into 2021, is still decently stacked with potential blockbusters, and most weekends have at least one notable wide release.

Major challengers in the next 3 months:

11/20 - Stand By Me, Doraemon 2
12/11 - New Interpretation Records of the Three Kingdoms
12/25 - Pokemon: Koko
01/08 - Gintama: The Final Movie
01/23 - Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time

These are the only films that could knock it out of #1 in the next three months.

-I think Demon Slayer will be too strong when Stand By Me, Doraemon 2 opens, and don't expect it'll lose its #1 spot to it at the moment. But there's the chance if Demon Slayer begins to slow down by this time since Stand By Me, Doraemon 2 should get around ¥600/700 million (maybe a little higher?) when it opens. 25% chance?

-New Interpretation Records of the Three Kingdoms is Toho's big live-action Winter film, and by a popular director, so it could take #1 with an expected opening around ¥500 million. It's hard to project this far out, so let's say 50/50 chance?

-Pokemon: Koko will also probably open around ¥500 million, but could do closer to ¥400 million since the movie franchise has declined some in recent years. Probably another 50/50 chance here.

-Gintama: The Final Movie might seem like an unlikely choice, but Gintama does have a dedicated base, and the two-live action films from the past few years were successful. I hate to keep saying 50/50 chance, but it's probably 50/50 again. Warner Bros. will definitely be pushing the hell out of the film too since they haven't been able to release any Hollywood features.

-And finally, if all of those fail, then the final (yes, another final) Evangelion should certainly do it. It's been delayed to death (8 years now), and the previous film received a very mixed reception, but this fanbase is among the most loyal there is and should at least deliver again on opening weekend. It should top ¥1 billion and take #1. 99% chance here.

So possibly 14-weeks at #1 for Demon Slayer, but if it gets bumped then or earlier, it could still reclaim #1 during its run too.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

If anyone is watching the usual locations, please be aware that Aeon Cinemas isn't being calculated due to their servers being down. Friday's numbers are going to appear a lot lower than they are right now with nothing being reported from them. The programmers typically add what missing ticket sales they can later in the day, but with Aeon's new waiting list system, I'm not sure how they're going to handle this at the moment. They'll provide an update at some point, probably around noon.

Aeon Cinemas account for 30% of the usual locations' theater count (so the usual locations is missing nearly a third of sales right now), and 25% nationwide.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Lol. I was just freaked out after seeing that low number from mimorin.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:05 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, it's way off. I'm trying not to check Aeon Cinemas because I don't want to contribute to the server overload, but there is still a large waiting list. I was 50,176 in line to buy a ticket last time I checked.

The usual locations is tracking 267 of its locations, and 81 of those are Aeon. So it's only tracking 186 theaters right now.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Corpse wrote:
Yeah, it's way off. I'm trying not to check Aeon Cinemas because I don't want to contribute to the server overload, but there is still a large waiting list. I was 50,176 in line to buy a ticket last time I checked.

The usual locations is tracking 267 of its locations, and 81 of those are Aeon. So it's only tracking 186 theaters right now.

But do you think if we add those 81 lotcations (30%) from Aeon, it will increase much?
Aeon theater chain is big and often busy, crowded in Japan?

Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:25 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Aeon Cinemas is the largest chain in terms of locations (81), and the second busiest (behind Toho Cinemas). It's hard to say really how much it'd increase by, but it's certainly impacting the morning sales. Their servers just really...suck. Demon Slayer is the first film to that's caused them to crash, but they still shouldn't be crashing, especially this badly where they are giving people waiting lines/times...

Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Numbers at the usual locations continue to be very...unusual. Not only is Demon Slayer too low for the day so far due to Aeon Cinemas crashing (and possibly miscalculations elsewhere too), but I also just noticed that when the program compares the current sales of the day versus the sales of the day on the previous day, it's all a mess there as well.

Yesterday, for the noon update, it had sold 54,673 admissions. Today, the program has it selling 73,693 at that time instead (which was where it was at almost 2PM), so... it's a mess.

And it's not just Demon Slayer, everything else is all wacky right now. All the films are down 50% or more compared to yesterday (not last Friday, but yesterday), which isn't possible.

So don't worry about it just being a Demon Slayer issue. Somehow it seems that yesterday is being updated as WAY too high, while today is WAY too low. I won't be up too much longer tonight, but don't take any numbers you see at the usual locations as accurate for the time being. Something has screwed with the programming that will need fixed.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The programmer has confirmed that almost no sales at Aeon Cinemas from open to 1PM were recorded... That's a lot of missing sales. In addition to Aeon, there was a hiccup regarding some other chains early this morning as well (probably crashing when Aeon's customers swamped them when they went down). They're going to work on trying to calculate and correct the figure later today if they can.

P.S. Aeon is STILL down. SMH. Their servers are really trash. Since LAST Monday (10/13), they've been down a total of 60-70 hours cumulatively.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Lmao, what is this, the 5th time they crashed since last week? I guess we can expect them to crash during the weekend as well, again.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:20 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, I edited that they've been down somewhere around 60-70 hours now since pre-sales first went live on 10/13. Their waiting line system to buy a ticket today has exceeded 50,000 people a few times, and I've seen it as low as 17,000 in line. So I'm going to presume their servers can't handle any more than that trying to access their ticket purchasing system at a time. I don't know a lot about servers or server strain, but not being able to handle these numbers seems... poor.

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557, 558 ... 952  Next