Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 549, 550, 551, 552, 553, 554, 555 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Star Trek XI

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Obliterating Record Books
I'm about halfway through the series now. It definitely gets better after the first episode (which I also thought was good but not quite enough to get me hooked).

Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:17 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Everyone who's watching the series now, please share what you think of episode 19 when you finish it. But don't spoil anything (or use spoiler tags at least). Just curious what new viewers think of it, considering how often it's cited.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Corpse wrote:
Some key factors to the franchise's success:

-The bond between Tanjiro and Nezuko is very crucial to its success. Japanese audiences are enamored by close family/sibling relationships, especially if they share an emotional/tragic story together.
-The Taisho period setting of the series, which takes place between 1912-1926, is cited as having perhaps a nostalgic or longing appeal to many. It's considered a peaceful and comforting period that was situated between two stressful and challenging periods for the country.
-The music has been incredibly popular. And popular soundtracks often allow a series to expand its reach to more casual audiences.
-Episode 19 was extraordinarily well-received, managing to become a trending topic on Twitter worldwide after airing, and was able expand its audience beyond just the late-night anime viewers or manga readers at the time. It's considered the spark event that got the series to where it is now, because before it aired, the series was relatively unknown.
Thanks! Makes sense.

The second was pretty dope. I like the odd couple dynamic with the main character and the demon. And the scene where they fight the demon and his head separately was very cool.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:46 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's consistently good/great with moments of true amazingness. And as mentioned, the movie that is breaking all records ever so far begins immediately following season one's conclusion and adapts the next arc in the story. And the arc following the movie really delivers, too, in the manga and will certainly make for a great start to season two of the anime whenever it's announced (presumably next year).

I think it also helps that this series isn't overly long, which can be a turn off for many, but long enough. The last volume (23) is releasing in December. If ufotable/Aniplex follow the same pace they're on, the anime should finish around 100 episodes, maybe a bit less depending on which arcs they decide to adapt into movies. (Because I know they'll do at least one, maybe two more now.)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Tue current is at 64% of Mon.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:41 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Very good. It really depends on the film, but Tuesday is regularly 30-35% or so down from Mondays.

First, it's probably going to set a Tuesday record. Maybe there's a film out there, say Spirited Away or Frozen that had a Tuesday fall on a holiday in their long runs that holds the record right now, but no one's seen an ordinary Tuesday this high. It's more than double Aladdin's first Tuesday, for example, and Aladdin had very good weekdays during its run.

And if it keeps this pace, its Tuesday will come very close, practically tying, the highest recorded Friday (which is an opening day...) of any film at the usual locations. If you exclude what Demon Slayer did itself this past Friday, that is, LOL. The NON-Demon Slayer Friday record at the usual locations is either 248,000 or 249,000 (Endgame or one of the recent Stars Wars), I'll need to check, and Demon Slayer's Tuesday is currently targeting exactly those numbers (248,500 to be exact, with a 64% drop from Monday).

Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Amazing that it can keep this pace. I wonder how big a jump will Wednesday see. With Toho moving to 100% capacity I can see it doing more on Wednesday in admissions.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:10 pm
The Dark Knight

Frozen's Golden Week Tuesday was a holiday (Shôwa Day), so if any Tuesday has the record, it's probably that one.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:14 pm
Angels & Demons

I read the manga first before watching the anime and discovered demon slayer as an accident. I was looking for a shoujo manga and thought I was reading one (I don't read summaries just the front cover) then Tanjiro's
Spoiler: show
family got killed chapter
1. I read the Mt. Natagumo arc but the Animation of ufotable blew me away. Never imagined it that way. Tanjiro's and Nezuko's bond resonates well with me as I have a younger sister also and we're very close. The soundtrack Tanjiro no Uta is perfection. When I heard it while Tanjiro and Nezuko was playing it tugged the heartstrings more." Even dead, your family is always with you- that kind of feeling." Aside from Episode 19 of KNY, Episode 17 will get you hooked also especially if you're a Zenitsu Stan

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Put a small bit of your post in white, chQta. It's an early occurrence, so anyone who's watched or read the series definitely know, but just in case someone hasn't and plan to because of this thread now, I wouldn't want them to read that, I don't think.

Speaking of Zenitsu, and without spoiling anything, are you guys (Flava'd, R136a1, and others) watching in subbed or dubbed? The English actors do a great job, no doubt, but Zenitsu's Japanese voice actor is something else.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

I'm watching it subbed. I find most dubbed animes pale in comparison to the original voice actors. And I agree about Zenitsu. Didn't think much of him at first but he very quickly grew on me.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 pm
Speed Racer

At 9pm, Tue is at 81% Mon

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:09 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yep, pretty crazy Tuesday. Not just how high it is (again, it's like an opening Saturday or Sunday performance) , but also its excellent drop from Monday. This Tuesday in general has been very strong.

I wonder if the massive crowds at the cinemas over the past four days (especially Friday-Sunday, but Monday was busy too) managed to push likely weekend moviegoer business for the holdovers into the weekdays. The Asadas! has the excuse of winning a major award on Sunday (forget what it was, sorry), which will give it a short-term boost, but everything has been quite strong so far over the weekdays.

Another consideration is that weekday business has been strong from the more COVID concerned moviegoers coming out (that skipped the weekend) since more theaters are at 50% capacity on the weekdays versus 100% on the weekends. To accommodate Demon Slayer though, Toho Cinemas is moving their busiest 12 locations back to 100% on the weekdays starting tomorrow.

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Cynosure wrote:
Frozen's Golden Week Tuesday was a holiday (Shôwa Day), so if any Tuesday has the record, it's probably that one.

I believe this probably holds the current record as well. Back then, the usual locations only accounted for ~43% of the market (maybe even ~33% when Frozen was out) versus the ~70% it does today, so it won't be an easy comparison.

What I'm doing though is taking the ticket sales from Toho Cinemas, 109 Cinemas, and Kinezo that Frozen sold that day and comparing those to Demon Slayer's ticket sales today from the same locations. Unless they'd be close, we should be able to determine which had the biggest Tuesday.

There's really nothing else, because the biggest openers often don't even reach 100,000 in ticket sales at the usual locations on their first Tuesdays (not that that's bad, it's normal), and Demon Slayer is looking at 280,000, so... clearly the Tuesday record's not going to be from a past big opener, but rather something like Frozen (maybe Your Name.) that had a Tuesday later in their runs that was boosted by a holiday.

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Where can I check the ranking for this movie soundtrack? Is it currently at the top spot?

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:25 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

The weekly rankings haven't been released yet, but the film's theme/ending credits song, "Homura" (Flame) by LiSA is still #1 on Oricon's Daily Single Sales Chart, and Billboard Japan released an article saying it'll debut at #1 on their Weekly Sales Chart next week. The anime's opening song, also by LiSA, and 16-months old now, is still #1 on Billboard's Anime Category.

Oricon (near the top right, Daily CD Single Rank): https://www.oricon.co.jp/
Billboard: http://www.billboard-japan.com/d_news/detail/93386/

Here is the movie's theme song, "Homura" (Flame):

Music Video:

First Take Version (Captions available):

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Corpse wrote:
The weekly rankings haven't been released yet, but the film's theme/ending credits song, "Homura" (Flame) by LiSA is still #1 on Oricon's Daily Single Sales Chart, and Billboard Japan released an article saying it'll debut at #1 on their Weekly Sales Chart next week. The anime's opening song, also by LiSA, and 16-months old now, is still #1 on Billboard's Anime Category.

Oricon (near the top right, Daily CD Single Rank): https://www.oricon.co.jp/
Billboard: http://www.billboard-japan.com/d_news/detail/93386/

Here is the movie's theme song, "Homura" (Flame):

Music Video:

First Take Version (Captions available):

Hmm....
So this movie really has that music factor for aphenomenal run like other movies like Frozen, Your Name,.... ??!!!!!

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:11 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I wouldn't say the movie exactly (but I haven't seen it or know if it has additional tracks), though Homura debuting at #1 on the sales charts next week, even if that might not seem overly impressive given how big this movie is, is still a big accomplishment. We'll have to see how it holds up on the charts in the weeks to come.

However, the anime's music, "Gurenge" by LiSA, which is going to be associated with the movie of course, is definitely up there in popularity with Your Name. and Frozen. The anime's opening song (which I'll share below) is only the third single in Japan's history to exceed 1 million downloads, and it's been streamed over 100 million times (Million and Platinum status, respectively) back in July. It also resurfaced in the Top 3 on Oricon's overall charts a few days ago, and it's 16-months old.

And the song "Kamado Tanjiro no Uta" (Tanjro Kamado's Song) that's featured in Episode 19 (yes, that episode again) is very popular as well. I believe this was an anime exclusive song of sorts (known as an insert song), and not a single, so it's hard to determine its success that way. But this song was enormous in the series' success after it played in Episode 19. I wouldn't recommend listening to this one until watching episode 19 of the anime though, unless you don't have an interest in it.

"Gurenge" (anime opening) by LiSA

"Kamado Tanjiro no Uta"

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

The "Kamando Uta" song is nice. Love it
Tomorrow Wednesday Toho cinema will lift the restriction and numbers of seat will back to 100%? Do you have data for the presale yet? Any prediction for tomorrow gross? Ty xD

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:55 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Corpse wrote:
Cynosure wrote:

I believe this probably holds the current record as well. Back then, the usual locations only accounted for ~43% of the market (maybe even ~33% when Frozen was out) versus the ~70% it does today, so it won't be an easy comparison.

What I'm doing though is taking the ticket sales from Toho Cinemas, 109 Cinemas, and Kinezo that Frozen sold that day and comparing those to Demon Slayer's ticket sales today from the same locations. Unless they'd be close, we should be able to determine which had the biggest Tuesday.

There's really nothing else, because the biggest openers often don't even reach 100,000 in ticket sales at the usual locations on their first Tuesdays (not that that's bad, it's normal), and Demon Slayer is looking at 280,000, so... clearly the Tuesday record's not going to be from a past big opener, but rather something like Frozen (maybe Your Name.) that had a Tuesday later in their runs that was boosted by a holiday.

Can likely confirm, but unofficially of course since there's no source, that Demon Slayer has likely taken the Tuesday record. Not 100% certain, but it's more likely than not.

As talked about, Frozen's Tuesday that landed on April 29th (Showa Day), the start of Golden Week in 2014 (and its biggest week during its crazy run), was the likely record-holder until today. Frozen grossed ¥771 million the weekend prior, and Tuesday was about 14% higher than that weekend's Sunday at the usuals. Assuming Frozen earned around ¥400 million on that Sunday (52% of the weekend gross), then that Tuesday came in around ¥450/460 million. I'll post Demon Slayer's daily performance tracker in a minute, but I'm estimating it grossed around ¥490 million (keeping it on the conservative side).

And if we would give Frozen's Sunday a 55% share that weekend, a little high but not unheard of, that would translate to a Tuesday around ¥480 million. This is why I say it's not 100% certain that Demon Slayer broke the Tuesday record, but it's likely it did so. But if it didn't, it still obliterating the non-holiday Tuesday record.

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - Daily Performance Tracker

10/16 - Fri.: ¥1,268,724,700 ($12.0 million) / 910,507
10/17 - Sat.: ¥1,701,723,350 ($16.2 million) / 1,270,234
10/18 - Sun.: ¥1,652,669,400 ($15.7 million) / 1,239,752
10/19 - Mon.: ¥670,000,000 ($6.4 million) / 510,000 *est.*
10/20 - Tues.: ¥490,000,000 ($4.6 million) / 370,000 *est.*

5-Day Cumulative Total: ¥5,783,117,450 ($54.9 million) / 4,300,493 *est.*

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Danhjpn wrote:
The "Kamando Uta" song is nice. Love it
Tomorrow Wednesday Toho cinema will lift the restriction and numbers of seat will back to 100%? Do you have data for the presale yet? Any prediction for tomorrow gross? Ty xD

At their busiest 12 locations, Toho Cinemas is resuming 100% capacity on the weekdays beginning tomorrow. These 12 locations in particular have literally sold out (or 90/95%) all their showings the past two days because of the 50% restriction.

Wednesdays tend to bounce back near Monday levels, with some exceptions since it's Ladies' Day (50% off tickets for females):

Family films often come in higher on on Wednesdays (mothers/babysitters and such taking their kids).
Any film appealing more toward a female demographic often come in higher on Wednesday.
Any film appealing more toward a male demographic doesn't see much, if any, boost. If it's a heavily male-skewing film, they can even drop sometimes versus Tuesday.

So, Demon Slayer does have a family and female skew to its audience, therefore it should see a nice bump over Tuesday and likely come in around, or higher than, Monday's numbers. So I'd expect ¥600-700 million ($6/7 million) / 500,000+ admissions for Wednesday. But we're still projecting an unprecedented release, so there's going to be room for abnormal behavior for awhile.

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
5-Day Cumulative Total: ¥5,783,117,450 ($54.9 million) / 4,300,493 *est.*

Biggest movie of 2020 (calendar)

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Thank you so much Corpse for the updates! I can't wait to see how Wednesday will fare!

Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:24 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - Record of Slayed Records List

-Highest Theater Count (403 = 365 + 38 IMAX)
-Highest Screen Count (TBA)
-Highest Nationwide Theater Seating Share (57.8%)
-Highest Showtime Count (22.4 avg. per theater)
-Highest Number of Seats (252.4 avg. per showing)
-Highest 2-Day Patrons Per Theater Avg. (6,228)
-Highest 3-Day Patrons Per Theater Avg. (8,488)
-Highest 2-Day PTA (¥8.32 million ($78,900))
-Highest 3-Day PTA (¥11.47 million ($108,700))

-Biggest IMAX Opening [¥238 million ($2.3 million); ¥6.26 million ($59,600) avg. per screen]

-Biggest 2-Day Opening Weekend (¥3,354,392,750 ($31.9 million))
-Biggest 3-Day Opening Weekend (¥4,623,117,450 ($43.9 million))
-Biggest 2-Day Opening Weekend Admissions (2,509,986)
-Biggest 3-Day Opening Weekend Admissions (3,420,493)

-Biggest Opening Day
-Biggest Single Day (Saturday)
-Biggest Second Single Day (Sunday)
-Biggest Third Single Day (Friday)

-Biggest Friday (¥1,268,724,700 ($12.0 million))
-Biggest Saturday (¥1,701,723,350 ($16.2 million))
-Biggest Sunday (¥1,652,669,400 ($15.7 million))
-Biggest Monday (¥670,000,000 ($6.4 million)) *est.*
-Biggest Tuesday (¥490,000,000 ($4.6 million)) *est.*

-Biggest 1-Day Total (¥1,268,724,700 ($12.0 million))
-Biggest 2-Day Total (¥2,970,448,050 ($28.2 million))
-Biggest 3-Day Total (¥4,623,117,450 ($43.9 million))
-Biggest 4-Day Total (¥5,293,117,450 ($50.3 million)) *est.*
-Biggest 5-Day Total (¥5,783,117,450 ($54.9 million)) *est.*

-Fastest to ¥1 Billion (1-Day)
-Fastest to ¥2 Billion (2-Days)
-Fastest to ¥3 Billion (3-Days)
-Fastest to ¥4 Billion (3-Days)
-Fastest to ¥5 Billion (4-Days)

-Fastest to 1 Million Admissions (2-Days)
-Fastest to 2 Million Admissions (2-Days)
-Fastest to 3 Million Admissions (3-Days)
-Fastest to 4 Million Admissions (5-Days)

Will continue to update, and likely add more records that come to light.

Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 549, 550, 551, 552, 553, 554, 555 ... 952  Next