Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Weekend Actuals; Charts Updated! (03/0
R136a1 wrote:
Did Frozen II end its run yet? What was its final total?

Frozen II is still playing and is still in 355 theaters (only off 20 or so from its debut). It has grossed ¥13.34 billion ($122.2 million) on 10.44 million admissions after 16-weeks in release.

But t is losing nearly all of its theaters on Thursday as was originally planned with the release of Onward. However, since Onward has since been postponed, I think there may still be a few locations keeping it.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
mark66 wrote:
Corpse wrote:
And quickly, thanks to everyone getting this thread above 2 million views earlier today!

Congratz!

I'm following your thread for many years now and I just looked at the years 2016, 17, 18 and 19 and I haven't found a weekend with the Top Ten grossing just 607m yen. So last weekend was the worst weekend in (at least) five years...

Maybe you have a better grip on your data and can find the last weekend as bad as weekend 10/20...

Thanks.

And I'll check. It should be pretty easy to check since I expect the only possible weekends would have come out of October, November, or possibly June. If it helps you, look up the weekend when The Little Prince (2015? 2016?) opened. I believe it was in November. I remember it being one of the lowest grossing #1 films and one of the weakest weekends on record.

EDIT: It was the second weekend of The Little Prince. The Top 10 only earned ¥464 million, the worst Top 10 since at least 2000.

About mid-way down the page:

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopi ... start=6875

So 10/20 was the worst weekend in 4 years and 3 months...

What about the next couple of weekends, will b.o. grow or get even worse?

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

This upcoming weekend will likely be weaker than last due to the delay of Onward and the continued effect of Doraemon: Nobita's New Dinosaur being postponed (Doraemon is the backbone of March every year), but March 21-22 should be a decent weekend with Not Quite Dead, Birds of Prey, and the latest Precure film opening.

And to end the month, March 28-29 will be decent since Fate/stay night - Heaven's Feel III - Spring Song is still opening, but the weekend did lose Sonic the Hedgehog since it's been postponed as well, and the ongoing effect of Doraemon and Onward being postponed will continue to be felt and keep this weekend from coming anywhere near its potential.

The last weekend of March, which is right in the middle of Spring Break, is often a very busy weekend that can see younger skewing films stay flat or increase, so having three event films delayed is unfortunate for the box-office. It was likely going to be one of the bigger weekends of 2020 (¥2-2.5 billion would have been my guess).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

Congrats Corpse. This thread alone is holding this forum. Your numbers are used at BOT as well. Thank you for keeping it updated every week.

I used to be shawman.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:43 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Has Soze recently joined the admin team of BOT? No poaching allowed dude. And I agree we depend on this thread A LOT but this forum has other threads which maybe you don't use.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:50 am
Quality is a great business plan

Nah. I am not in any admin/mod team. Just mentioned that all Corpse's posts in this thread are quoted at BOT. This thread is so big that its in the 1st page of Google search result for Japan Box office :-)

Plus what is there to poach :-) Many in this forum are also there are BOT. Chip is infact running the BOT derby game :-)

I used to be shawman.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:01 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Update regarding the Coronavirus:

The country has seen an increase in cases this past week (averaging around 40/50 a day), but it's just due to more people (many, many more) being tested, especially in Akita (55% of its population is over 65), Aichi and Osaka. Daily tests went from around 2,000 people a day in late-February to over 6,000 at the beginning of March, and daily testing has steadily grown since and have reached over 10,000 tests performed each day now.

So all in all, Japan is handling this quite well after the Diamond Princess mess and is about to fall out of the top 15 countries in terms of reported cases with "only" 690 to date.

This weekend's box-office is going to be very slow. The event films have been delayed, and the holdovers are mostly uninteresting and skew older, so not many are going to find reason to go out this weekend I feel. Remember, Japan has an aging population with around 35% being over 60, and it's about to pass the US in most centenarians (people over 100) with 72,000, so that'll have a noticeable impact as they stay home. It's difficult to do forecasts right now, so I'm going to refrain from doing them for another week or two.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:16 pm
Profile WWW

Hey corpse, I wanted to ask a question.

I have noticed that tv ratings of doraemon has fallen from average 7% to 4.5% in Kanto region due to change in time slots. Earlier it used to air on Friday 7:00 pm but from October 2019 it is aired on Saturday 5:00 pm.

Does this mean that this year's film will have poor box office run as compared to past couple of years?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:40 am
The Incredible Hulk

Anyone has One Piece worldwide gross stat? Because there's news said Stampede is over 10 billion yen and it sounds like this is the highest worldwide gross for the franchise.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:32 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Dark 123 wrote:
Hey corpse, I wanted to ask a question.

I have noticed that tv ratings of doraemon has fallen from average 7% to 4.5% in Kanto region due to change in time slots. Earlier it used to air on Friday 7:00 pm but from October 2019 it is aired on Saturday 5:00 pm.

Does this mean that this year's film will have poor box office run as compared to past couple of years?

I don't believe so. Doraemon is, as you may know, one of the most recognizable characters in Japan. It's an event to go see the new film every year, and the franchise has a very consistent box-office record. In general, TV ratings have decreased in recent years (not to the levels as most of the world, but still down), yet the films have increased at the box-office in recent years.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

pookpooi wrote:
Anyone has One Piece worldwide gross stat? Because there's news said Stampede is over 10 billion yen and it sounds like this is the highest worldwide gross for the franchise.

It very likely is the highest grossing One Piece film worldwide just due to being released in more markets, and in markets that have grown over time. Japanese films, especially anime films, have been receiving wider releases in key markets like China, France, and also in the U.S. due to Funimation entering the theatrical market themselves.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'm going away for a week beginning tomorrow, so I won't be posting any updates nor responding for a while.

But before I leave, the box-office this weekend was actually quite solid, at least in terms of holds. It's still a weak weekend in terms of admissions/revenue due to the postponements.

The Top 10 averaged drops around 20/25%, some at sub-20%. This is of course due to there being no big films/competition in release this month due to the delays (Doraemon, Onward, Sonic, and Precure now), and the majority of films that are in release are targeting adults (25-50-year-olds) which isn't a susceptible demographic from the coronavirus. Not to mention that Japan has handled the virus very well, so there isn't as much panic or stress compared to many other markets.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Corpse wrote:
Frozen II is still playing and is still in 355 theaters (only off 20 or so from its debut). It has grossed ¥13.34 billion ($122.2 million) on 10.44 million admissions after 16-weeks in release.

But it is losing nearly all of its theaters on Thursday as was originally planned with the release of Onward. However, since Onward has since been postponed, I think there may still be a few locations keeping it.

Any update on this? I don't see Frozen II in the Top 25 on Mimorin this weekend, so I assume it has ended its run now?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:47 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It ended its run last Thursday. Its final total is very likely the figure I posted above given it only had four weekdays left after that, and it was earning very little. If its total does get updated later this year, I imagine it'll only go up to ¥13.35 billion ($122.3 million) and 10.45 million admissions.

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Covid-19/Box-Office Update (03/18)
Coronavirus & Box-Office Update (03/18):

COVID-19: Japan is still handling the spread of the virus very well. Confirmed cases have dropped-off a bit, averaging 30/40 per day versus the 50/60 last week. And this is with testing continuing to see an increase as well, with tests now exceeding 13,000 on a daily basis. As of 03/18, there have been 919 confirmed cases (just 111 in Tokyo) with 29 deaths. Japan should fall outside the top 20 countries in terms of confirmed cases in a few days. It seems some schools are also expected to reopen in a couple weeks. Here's hoping the situation continues on this level, or better yet improves, as the warmer weeks/months draw closer.

In an odd twist, the Japanese already being a socially isolated people has helped produce a positive result! They've ingrained social distancing and hygienic practices into daily life for decades.

Box-Office: Not much has changed in the past week. And seeing how the box-office has collapsed on a global scale, Japan's is possibly the strongest in the world right now? I know it's above the U.S. and China on a daily basis, typically the only two countries ahead of it. The majority of films playing are still performing well, averaging around 30% week-to-week declines. Of course, with the event films postponed, the box-office is pretty weak, but not near record lows. All major theater chains remain open, though some restrictions remain in place. Some locations continue to restrict admission to children, and more recently, some locations have shortened their hours a bit by opening and closing an hour or two earlier/later.

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Covid-19/BO Update (03/18)
Will you have an update on last weekend's box office?

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Weekend Actuals (03/14-15)
Yep, forgot to post it yesterday!

(C)2020『Fukushima 50』製作委員会

Weekend Actuals (03/14-15)
01 (01) ¥107,919,250 ($1.0 million), -24%, ¥461,262,500 ($4.2 million), Fukushima 50 (Shochiku) WK2
02 (03) ¥x85,608,700 ($787,000), -17%, ¥4,269,975,560 ($39.1 million), Parasite (Bitter's End) WK10
03 (02) ¥x82,445,500 ($758,000), -21%, ¥391,121,300 ($3.6 million), Mask Ward (Warner Bros.) WK2
04 (06) ¥x53,888,000 ($495,000), +30%, ¥472,345,680 ($4.3 million), Midsommar (Phantom Film) WK4
05 (04) ¥x47,503,300 ($437,000), -19%, ¥973,165,300 ($9.1 million), Stolen Identity 2 (Toho) WK4
06 (---) ¥x36,788,200 ($338,000), 0, ¥100,190,900 ($0.9 million), Rise of the Nobles - Prince of Legend (Toho) NEW
07 (07) ¥x31,264,400 ($287,000), -17%, ¥1,220,767,100 ($11.3 million), Howling Village (Toei) WK6
08 (05) ¥x23,572,700 ($217,000), -45%, ¥278,554,100 ($2.5 million), Shirobako (Showgate) WK3
09 (09) ¥x19,348,050 ($178,000), -21%, ¥1,259,409,150 ($11.7 million), Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku (Toho) WK6
10 (08) ¥x18,841,800 ($173,000), -34%, ¥101,537,000 ($1.0 million), Judy (Gaga) WK2

This should be the low-point of COVID-19's impact on the box-office. Everything is holding very well now, so I imagine things will improve and get "back to normal" next month when some bigger films open. Other than Mulan (now opening May 22nd), none of the other big April films like Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet have been postponed.

This upcoming weekend has a couple notable films opening, not event films, but they did decently on Friday. Birds of Prey will open above ¥100 million, maybe ¥150 million, to prevent the weekend from having a sub-¥100 million #1 film. And Not Quite Dead may approach/exceed ¥100 million as well. And to finish off the month of March, Fate/stay night - Heaven's Feel III - Spring Song will likely do ¥300/400 million net week.

Last edited by Corpse on Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And since the box-office has collapsed just about everywhere else, I'll probably start posting daily estimates to keep things a little more interesting here. Friday's estimates will be up later this afternoon.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Is the Mulan release still happening now that it has been delayed everywhere else?

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:24 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

It was originally slated for April 10th, but moved back to May 22nd. All domestic sites still have it listed for the May 22nd date. Unless things suddenly worsen, it should open on that day. Japan never saw the uptick or explosion in cases like just about everywhere else. They're not out of the clear yet, but since we're nearing April, things are looking good.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Weekday Estimates (Fri., 03/20)
Friday Estimates (03/20):
¥x95,000,000 ($875,000), 0, ¥x95 million ($0.9 million), Birds of Prey (Warner Bros.) NEW
¥x55,000,000 ($505,000), 0, ¥x55 million ($0.5 million), Not Quite Dead (Shochiku) NEW
¥x35,000,000 ($320,000), 0, ¥x35 million ($0.3 million), Yayoi, March: 30 Years That I Loved You (Toho) NEW
¥x35,000,000 ($320,000), -05%, ¥610 million ($5.6 million), Fukushima 50 (Shochiku) Day 15
¥x30,000,000 ($275,000), -04%, ¥4.41 billion ($40.5 million), Parasite (Bitter's End) Day 71
¥x25,000,000 ($230,000), -25%, ¥540 million ($5.0 million), Mask Ward (Warner Bros.) Day 15
¥x15,000,000 ($140,000), 0, ¥x35 million ($0.1 million), Mishima Yukio vs Tokyo University (Gaga) NEW
¥x14,000,000 ($130,000), -25%, ¥1.06 billion ($9.8 million), Stolen Identity 2 (Toho) Day 29
¥x13,000,000 ($120,000), +01%, ¥555 million ($5.1 million), Midsommar (Toho) Day 29
¥x11,000,000 ($100,000), -70%, ¥165 million ($1.5 million), Rise of the Nobles (Toho) Day 08

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

... well at least Birds of Prey will pass 200m for sure! That seems decent.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:11 pm
Star Trek XI

With Onward released digitally today and next month on Disney Plus, I have to wonder if the theatrical release will still happen in Japan.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:21 pm
Angels & Demons

Did Hereditary (2018) release in Japan? I saw on Twitter that it is releasing in 4DX on March 27, do you think it will do well?

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:10 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

R136a1 wrote:
With Onward released digitally today and next month on Disney Plus, I have to wonder if the theatrical release will still happen in Japan.

Good question.

Disney Plus hasn't launched in Japan, and won't before late-2020 at the earliest (2021 is probably more likely though). A lot of Disney films/shows (Marvel and Star Wars included) can already be streamed on Docomo (telecom company in Japan), so I wonder if Plus will receive a launch. Or if Onward will be added on Docomo itself.

Streaming is growing in popularity, but it's still behind traditional rentals and TV broadcasts in Japan. Digital is also gaining in popularity, but it's not as big as other markets. Physical releases of everything, music, movies, books/manga, etc. remains the #1 choice, at least for the time being.

If it doesn't get a physical release in Japan before Summer, I'd bet on Disney giving it a theatrical release at some point.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523 ... 952  Next