Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 23794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Vernal Equinox Day Estimates

Platinum Data
[Weekend Survey Results]

Gender Breakdown:
-Females (94%)
-Males (6%)

Age Demographic:
-Age 16-19 (34.6%)
-Age 40-49 (17.4%)
-Age 20-29 (14.8%)

What was your main reason for seeing the film?
-Arashi's Kazuya Ninomiya (45.2%)
-Familiar with Higashino Keigo’s novel (13.1%)

I haven't seen a live-action film skew that young in awhile. The 16-19 group is usually quite low for films that weekend survey results are done for.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Um, the gender breakdown is insane, no? Even the Twilight films in the US have a bigger male share.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

It is very high, but not too uncommon.

Last December, Today, I Started Loving You was over 90%, and there was another film (Yellow Elephant I think) also over 90% this year. The second Gantz film, which also starred Kazuya Ninomiya, was at 75.2% despite being action/sci-fi. No percentage was given, but females made up the majority of Ted's opening weekend audience, too. And I know Les Miserables is insanely high (likely 90%+) as well given how much it makes on Wednesdays (Ladies Day) every week.

Females go to the movies a lot more than males in Japan (cinemas have an entire day dedicated to them), so it makes sense for many films. Especially for any film that stars a young pop star from a Johnny & Associates boy band (Arashi, Kat-Tun, NEWS, Kanjani8, etc) or romantic film. Boy bands are still insanely popular in Japan, thus a ton of domestic TV shows and movies feature their members.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I understand women make or break most films in Japan still that gender breakdown percentage is HUGE and it is still baffling for me to accept that it is THAT common in Japan. Males have no lives or what :P

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:58 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

There's a big gender gap in Japan.

According to statistics last year, over 80% of men are in the job market vs. just 60% (although a record high) of women. And of those women in the job market, 2/3 leave the workforce upon having children. Not because they don't want to work after having children, but because it's not really a viable option anymore.

So, basically you're not far off. Most men are too busy working to enjoy going to the movies while women have more free time.

The Japanese Government has been working to get more of it's women in the workforce to help boost it's stagnant economy. Some reports claim that if Japan can close it's gender gap, it could add nearly 9 million jobs and boost the country's GPD by 15-20%.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

While I do realize that women have more time and life could be hectic for men. There are countries with similar things like India where women stay at home and men still have time to see movies. Yes the gender break-up in India is also about 60%-70% for women to 40%-30% men that see movies still 90% is just WOW.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:37 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

90% is a lot, I know. LOL. You'll see it again sooner than later, though.

To further expand on why males don't go to the movies as often, the work environment also plays a factor (for men especially) and why so few ever take parental leave (like 2.5%) or vacation time, too.

In Japan, most companies have a lifetime employment system and base raises/promotions on time spent working for them vs. merit. If you leave your job in Japan and try to use the experience you got from that job to find a better one, you best think again. You'll be at the bottom of the ladder with the lowest pay and have to work your way up all over again.

This system also makes High School and College entrance exams EXTREMELY competitive in Japan. Students often solely study for them in Elementary and Junior High School and even attend Cram School at a young age. Just going to one of the most prestigious High Schools and Colleges will guarantee you a good job post-school. And failing to attend them can screw you for life.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

No wonder the suicide rate is so high.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:25 am
now we know

Corpse wrote:
90% is a lot, I know. LOL. You'll see it again sooner than later, though.

To further expand on why males don't go to the movies as often, the work environment also plays a factor (for men especially) and why so few ever take parental leave (like 2.5%) or vacation time, too.

In Japan, most companies have a lifetime employment system and base raises/promotions on time spent working for them vs. merit. If you leave your job in Japan and try to use the experience you got from that job to find a better one, you best think again. You'll be at the bottom of the ladder with the lowest pay and have to work your way up all over again.

This system also makes High School and College entrance exams EXTREMELY competitive in Japan. Students often solely study for them in Elementary and Junior High School and even attend Cram School at a young age. Just going to one of the most prestigious High Schools and Colleges will guarantee you a good job post-school. And failing to attend them can screw you for life.

I've never learned so much in so few paragraphs.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:37 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Jiffy wrote:

Indeed. I am so surprised they call it a democracy :disgust:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 am
now we know

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Jiffy wrote:

Indeed. I am so surprised they call it a democracy :disgust:

What? Do you even know what you're talking about most of the time?

Working practices have nothing to do with whether they're a democracy or not.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:40 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I generally don't understand what I speak but most of the times you too don't so what's your point ?

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:41 am
now we know

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I generally don't understand what I speak but most of the times you too don't so what's your point ?

:unsure:

I guess my point is that you should make more sense.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:39 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Well you shouldn't decipher anything because then you start thinking and making stupid posts....so please help us and be quiet :P

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:36 pm
now we know

Great comeback.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Weekend Forecast (3/23-24)

ImageImageImage

1 (1) Doraemon: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum (Toho) ¥295 million ($3.2 million) Week 3
2 (2) Platinum Data (Toho) ¥240 million ($2.6 million) Week 2
3 (-) Wreck-It-Ralph (Disney) ¥230 million ($2.5 million) NEW! [310 theaters]
4 (-) Aibou Series: X-Day (Toei) ¥200 million ($2.2 million) NEW! [199 theaters]

5 (4) Oz: The Great and Powerful (Disney) ¥135 million ($1.5 million) Week 3
6 (3) Pretty Cure All Stars: New Stage 2 (Toei) ¥130 million ($1.4 million) Week 2
7 (-) Jack the Giant Slayer (Warner Bros.) ¥120 million ($1.3 million) NEW! [314 theaters]
8 (-) Nobody's Perfect 3 (Toho) ¥60 million ($640,000) NEW! [197 theaters]

9 (5) 7 Days of Himawari & Her Puppies (Shochiku) ¥55 million ($585,000) Week 2
10 (-) My Friendship Diary (Showgate) ¥45 million ($480,000) NEW! [180 theaters]

So many openers will make for an interesting weekend before Spring Break officially begins.

Doraemon 33 is highly likely to remain on top for a third-consecutive week. Most cinemas are keeping it on their biggest screens. It'll take a breakout from Wreck-It-Ralph or Aibou Series: X-Day to beat it.

As for Ralph (Sugar Rush in Japan) and Aibou, both are easily outperforming the other openers and might make a run for the #2 spot this weekend if Platinum Data drops enough. The #2-#4 positions appear tight based on early ticket sales. If Aibou had a larger screen count, I'd say it would be a safe #2 this weekend with great early ticket sales.

Jack the Giant Slayer is going to disappoint or even bomb. Friday ticket sales were poor, and early Saturday ticket sales aren't any better. It'll require a lot of luck to manage a #5 debut this weekend, and I can't see it beating Oz or Pretty Cure.

I'm not going to totally rule out the Netherland's Miffy the Movie from debuting in the Top 10 either. It's playing at just 72 theaters, but Warner Mycal is being quite generous with it's screen size and count this weekend.

Projected Totals (¥1 billion+) after Sunday
-Doraemon 33: ¥1.7 billion ($19 million) after 3 weeks.
-Oz: The Great and Powerful: ¥1.2 billion ($14 million) after 3 weeks.
-Platinum Data: ¥1 billion ($11 million) after 2 weeks.

Outside the Top 10
-Les Miserables: ¥5.65 billion ($63.5 million) after 14 weeks.
-Ted: ¥4.1 billion ($45.5 billion) after 10 weeks.
-Die Hard 5: ¥2.0 billion ($22.5 million) after 6 weeks.
-Brain Man: ¥1.25 billion ($14.5 million) after 7 weeks.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Weekend Forecast (3/23-24)
Mid-day report:

Wreck-It-Ralph is doing very well at various locations, reaching at least 50% capacity for most showtimes. These are however average-size screens. I think it's doing well enough that tomorrow's estimates will have it at #2. If it continues this pace into the evening and night, where Doraemon is weakest, we may have a battle for #1 between the two.

Aibou Series: X-Day is also doing really well, but likewise, many of it's screens are average-size and it has a theater disadvantage to deal with, too, which will make it difficult to contend with Ralph and Doraemon.

Platinum Data is seeing some sharp declines compared to last weekend as expected and might fall to #4 behind Ralph and Aibou.

Jack the Giant Slayer still isn't doing anything notable and will definitely disappoint come tomorrow's estimates.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:18 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Saturday Estimates (3/23)

1 Wreck-It-Ralph (Disney) ¥186 millon ($2.0 million), 0, Day 1 [312 theaters]
2 Aibou Series: X-Day (Toei) ¥151 million ($1.6 million), 0, Day 1 [199 theaters]

3 Doraemon: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum (Toho) ¥122 million ($1.3 million), -43%, Day 15
4 Platinum Data (Toho) ¥103 million ($1.1 million), -54%, Day 8
5 Oz: The Great and Powerful (Disney) ¥51 million ($545,000), -46%, Day 16
6 Pretty Cure All Stars: New Stage 2 (Toei) ¥40 million ($425,000), -59%, Day 8
7 Jack the Giant Slayer (Warner Bros.) ¥38 million ($405,000), 0, Day 2 [312 theaters]
8 My Friendship Diary (Showgate) ¥23 million ($245,000), 0, Day 1 [179 theaters]

9 7 Days of Himawari & Her Puppies (Shochiku) ¥21 million ($225,000), -55%, Day 8
10 Les Miserables (Toho-Towa) ¥20 million ($210,000), +19%, Day 92

The drops for the holdovers are too big and should recover on Sunday.

Great start for Wreck-It-Ralph if it holds. Even if the estimate are high, it's going to debut on top unless Doraemon has a massive Sunday increase like last year. And with Spring Break, an opening weekend of ¥350 million (about $4 million) or so for Ralph will likely result in a ¥3 billion ($35 million+) gross.

Aibou Series: X-Day also had an excellent first day and might reach ¥300 million ($3.2 million) for the weekend on less than 200 screens. Toei should have tried to put it in a few more theaters. The fanbase is still clearly interested in the series even if the last main film decreased from the last.

I went low on Jack the Giant Slayer, but it's still doing worse than expectations and will only open to ¥75/80 million ($800-900,000).

Les Miserables increasing over last Saturday is odd. I don't see any locations where it gained more showtimes or anything, so I can't explain it since it's been having normal weekend drops recently. I guess a 14th-consecutive week in the Top 10 is within reach, though.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Top Opening Weekends [Disney/Pixar CGI]

¥977,332,877 (649,299) :: Toy Story 3 (2010)
¥898,000,000 (724,000) :: Finding Nemo (2004)
¥751,852,208 (604,355) :: The Incredibles (2005)
¥627,730,027 (440,804) :: Up (2010)
¥596,954,198 (481,203) :: Monsters Inc. (2002)
¥504,904,029 (408,168) :: Ratatouille (2007)
¥474,000,000 (380,000) :: Dinosaur (2000)
¥458,162,627 (336,537) :: Cars 2 (2011)
¥449,556,511 (359,932) :: Wall-E (2009)
¥381,233,250 (350,041) :: Cars (2006)
¥350-400,000,000 (250-300,000) :: Wreck-It-Ralph (2013), Projection.
¥365,000,000 (270,000) :: Toy Story 2 (2000)
¥312,229,058 (259,983) :: Chicken Little (2006)
¥254,331,405 (192,400) :: Bolt (2009)
¥147,806,784 (106,271) :: Brave (2012)
¥142,712,432 (115,090) :: Tangled (2011)*
¥110,455,027 (89,988) :: Meet the Robinsons (2008)

*Opened the week of the Tohoku Earthquake (60% of cinemas closed)

Ignoring the Pixar releases, Ralph will become Disney's second-biggest opening CGI film ever. There is little competition among Disney CG films, but still fairly impressive. I decided to exclude Dreamworks Animation since the majority of their films bomb.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Aibou Franchise (2002-)

[TV Series]
Aibou: Season 1 (13.1% avg / 16.3% premiere)
Aibou: Season 2 (12.7% avg / 17.0% premiere)
Aibou: Season 3 (13.2% avg / 14.6% ep12)
Aibou: Season 4 (14.7% avg / 17.7% ep17)
Aibou: Season 5 (16.1% avg / 18.6% finale)
Aibou: Season 6 (15.9% avg / 18.3% ep15)
Aibou: Season 7 (18.1% avg / 21.7% ep18)
Aibou: Season 8 (17.7% avg / 20.4% finale)
Aibou: Season 9 (20.4% avg / 23.7% ep16)
Aibou: Season 10 (16.6% avg / 20.5% finale)
Aibou: Season 11 (16.9% avg / 20.7% finale) Ended Wednesday

[Movies]
¥591,743,164 ($5.7 million) [300 scr] / ¥4.44 billion ($42 million) :: Aibou: The Movie (2008)
¥138,866,856 ($1.5 million) [193 scr] / ¥750 million ($8 million) :: Identification: The Case Book of Mamoru Yonezawa (2009)
¥273,807,433 ($3.3 million) [327 scr] / ¥3.13 billion ($39 million) :: Aibou: The Movie II (2011)
¥???,???,??? ($?.? million) [199 scr] / ¥?.?? billion ($?? million) :: Aibou Series: X-Day (2013)

Distributor Toei reported today that Aibou Series: X-Day was outpacing Aibou: The Movie II by an incredible 70% on Saturday mid-day (3pm).

I always take distributor reports with a grain of salt because they almost always overproject to build hype/buzz for their films (and not reporting for the entire day is strange), but it's very encouraging with estimates have it doing more than Aibou: The Movie II (¥300 millionish based on opening day estimates) in 2/3 of the theaters.

If that 70% figure is in anyway accurate for the weekend, then it's definitely in the running for the top spot this weekend, too. What looked like a regular pre-Spring Break weekend has turned into quite the exciting one.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Weekend Estimates (3/23-24)
Weekend Estimates (3/23-24)

1 (-) Wreck-It Ralph (Disney) ¥424 millon ($4.51 million), 0, NEW! [312 theaters]
2 (-) Aibou Series: X-Day (Toei) ¥285 million ($3.02 million), 0, NEW! [199 theaters]

3 (1) Doraemon: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum (Toho) ¥269 million ($2.86 million), -37%, Week 3
4 (2) Platinum Data (Toho) ¥226 million ($2.41 million), -44%, Week 2
5 (3) Pretty Cure All Stars: New Stage 2 (Toei) ¥116 million ($1.23 million), -41%, Week 2
6 (4) Oz: The Great and Powerful (Disney) ¥106 million ($1.13 million), -44%, Week 3
7 (-) Jack the Giant Slayer (Warner Bros.) ¥83 million ($890,000), 0, NEW! [312 theaters]
8 (-) My Friendship Diary (Showgate) ¥52 million ($555,000), 0, NEW! [179 theaters]
9 (5) 7 Days of Himawari & Her Puppies (Shochiku) ¥44 million ($470,000), -48%, Week 2
10 (-) Nobody's Perfect 3 (Toho) ¥33 million ($360,000), 0, NEW! [197 theaters]
11 (-) Kid's Police (Toho Video Division) ¥27 million ($285,000), 0, NEW! [151 theaters]
12 (6) Flight (Paramount) ¥22 million ($235,000), -66%, Week 4
13 (7) Ted (Toho-Towa) ¥19 million ($205,000), -65%, Week 10
14 (9) Cloud Atlas (Warner Bros.) ¥18 million ($195,000), -55%, Week 2
15 (8) A Good Day to Die Hard (Fox) ¥15 million ($165,000), -69%, Week 6

>Wreck-It Ralph opens quite close to past Pixar releases (almost 3x Brave's OW) and can be considered a breakout so far. It's probably going to reach ¥3 billion ($35 million), and with the strong reviews, AKB48 performing the theme song, and Spring Break, I wouldn't rule out a ¥3.5 billion+ ($40 million+) total.

Japan will become it's #1 overseas market, and if it's still earning anything in other markets, then it may hit $300 million OS/$500 million WW, too. Announce the sequel already.

>Aibou Series: X-Day bests the opening of Aibou: The Movie II despite playing on 60% of the screens of that film. If the estimate holds, it's looking at a ¥1.43 million ($15,200) pta for the 2-day. Toei really should have gone with a 250/300 count instead of 199.

>Doraemon: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum couldn't defend it's #1 spot in it's third week, but the weekend estimate is on par with last year's film so it's likely still out-tracking every other Doraemon film before it and should still be aiming for ¥4 billion ($45 million).

>Platinum Data sees a rough second weekend drop and it's future legs aren't looking too hot right now. It's probably barely going to reach ¥2 billion ($25 million). We'll see if Spring Break can help it out.

>Jack the Giant Slayer is yet another major disappointment for Warner Bros.

>Les Miserables isn't listed because the data collected from the usual locations has it increasing 35% over last weekend (that'd be enough so it ranks 9th for the weekend), but it's been noted that it's almost exclusively playing at the usual locations now having lost many screens/theaters elsewhere. This will make the weekend estimate very inaccurate, so I'm not bothering ranking it. My guess is that it'll rank just ahead of Flight for the weekend in it's 14th week.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Top Opening Weekends [Disney/Pixar CGI]

¥977,332,877 ($11.1 million) / 649,299 :: Toy Story 3 (2010)
¥898,000,000 ($8.4 million) / 724,000 :: Finding Nemo (2004)
¥751,852,208 ($7.3 million) / 604,355 :: The Incredibles (2005)
¥627,730,027 ($7.2 million) / 440,804 :: Up (2010)
¥596,954,198 ($4.4 million) / 481,203 :: Monsters Inc. (2002)
¥504,904,029 ($4.2 million) / 408,168 :: Ratatouille (2007)
¥474,000,000 ($4.3 million) / 380,000 :: Dinosaur (2000)
¥458,162,627 ($5.6 million) / 336,537 :: Cars 2 (2011)
¥449,556,511 ($4.8 million) / 359,932 :: Wall-E (2009)
¥424,000,000 ($4.5 million) / 292,000 :: Wreck-It Ralph (2013), Estimate.
¥381,233,250 ($3.4 million) / 350,041 :: Cars (2006)
¥365,000,000 ($3.0 million) / 270,000 :: Toy Story 2 (2000)
¥312,229,058 ($2.6 million) / 259,983 :: Chicken Little (2006)
¥254,331,405 ($2.8 million) / 192,400 :: Bolt (2009)
¥147,806,784 ($1.9 million) / 106,271 :: Brave (2012)
¥142,712,432 ($1.8 million) / 115,090 :: Tangled (2011)*
¥110,455,027 ($1.0 million) / 89,988 :: Meet the Robinsons (2008)

*Opened the week of the Tohoku Earthquake (60% of cinemas closed)

Very nice for Ralph.

After checking past 3D animated films (Cars 2, Brave), I think the estimate might be a tad high, though.. It was compared to Oz which got a ¥1,452 avg. ticket price opening weekend vs. the ¥1,376 avg. of Cars 2 and Brave. Opening above Cars and ¥400 million still looks pretty certain though with 290,000 or so admissions.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Weekend Estimates (03/16)
Weekend Cinema Chain Ranking (3/23-24)
TOHO [513] - WARNER MYCAL [496] - SUNSHINE [165] - SHIKOKU [116] - CINEPLEX [84]

1) 1st - 1st - 5th - 3rd - 1st :: Wreck-It Ralph (Disney) DEBUT!
2) 3rd - 2nd - 1st - 1st - 2nd :: Doraemon: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum (Toho) Week 3
3) 2nd - 4th - 4th - 2nd - 3rd :: Platinum Data (Toho) Week 2
4) 4th - n/a - 2nd - 5th - 4th :: Aibou Series: X-Day (Toei) DEBUT!
5) 7th - 3rd - 3rd - 4th - n/a :: Pretty Cure All Stars: New Stage 2 (Toei) Week 2
6) 5th - n/a - n/a - 8th - 5th :: Oz: The Great and Powerful (Disney) Week 3
7) 6th - 5th - n/a - 6th - n/a :: Jack the Giant Slayer (Warner Bros.) DEBUT!
8) 8th - n/a - n/a - 9th - n/a :: Nobody's Perfect 3 (Toho) DEBUT!
9) n/a - n/a - n/a - 7th - n/a :: 7 Days of Himawari & Her Puppies (Shochiku) Week 2
10) 10th - n/a - n/a - 10th - n/a :: Kid's Police (Toho Video Division) DEBUT!
11) 9th - n/a - n/a - n/a - n/a :: BOOWY 1224: The Movie (2013) (Toho Video Division) DEBUT!
[Rankings by Admissions]

Introducing Kadokawa Cineplex into the rankings this week. They're a smaller chain with 84 screens but most are located in urban areas like Saitama and Osaka, and the more complexes reporting the better. Cineplex will be releasing their Top 5 films for the weekend.

Now if only MOVIX (3rd largest chain behind Toho and Warner Mycal) would release their weekend ranking. If they would report (or even United Cinemas), we wouldn't be surprised when seeing a film make the bottom of the Top 10 without ranking at any of the reporting chains. Cloud Atlas did it last weekend (9th), and My Friendship Diary likely will in the morning.

Admissions between Ralph and Doraemon look pretty close. I can see them being within 25/30,000 of one another. Of course it won't be very close in gross (Doraemon's avg. ticket price barely cracks ¥1,000).

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Cinema Chain Rankings
Weekend Ranking (3/23-24)

1 (-) Wreck-It Ralph (Disney) DEBUT!
2 (1) Doraemon: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum (Toho) Week 3
3 (2) Platinum Data (Toho) Week 2
4 (-) Aibou Series: X-Day (Toei) DEBUT!
5 (3) Pretty Cure All Stars: New Stage 2 (Toei) Week 2
6 (4) Oz: The Great and Powerful (Disney) Week 3
7 (-) Jack the Giant Slayer (Warner Bros.) DEBUT!
8 (5) 7 Days of Himawari & Her Puppies (Shochiku) Week 2
9 (-) My Friendship Diary (Showgate) DEBUT!
10 (-) Nobody's Perfect 3 (Toho) DEBUT!

Estimates were way off this weekend.

Wreck-It Ralph debuted to ¥339,707,750 ($3.68 million) with 267,276 admissions on 421 screens. This number is a lot less than estimates, but still overall a solid opening. The avg. ticket price is also much lower than recent 3D films (including animated), so either 3D screens were limited (or share very low) and/or it skewed extremely young. It should end up with a total around ¥2.3-2.6 billion ($25-28 million).

Aibou Series: X-Day opened on 198 screens to ¥211,234,500 ($2.35 million) with 169,600 admissions. Again, quite a bit less than estimates. A likely total would be ¥1.2-1.4 billion ($13-16 million).

Doraemon: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum exceeded ¥2 billion ($22 million) with 1.8 million admissions after just 16 days. This number is far higher than any 16-day total for any previous film making ¥4 billion+ ($45 million+) very likely now. No Doraemon film has failed to get above a multiplier of 2 from it's 16-day total before (since at least 2004 anyway).

In other, big Doraemon news, the franchise exceeded 100 million admissions this weekend making it the most-attended movie franchise in history beating Godzilla. Big congrats to Doraemon!

Platinum Data exceeded ¥1 billion ($12 million) after 9 days in release.

No weekend figures were provided for the lower openers.

My Friendship Diary debuts in the Top 10 despite not ranking at any of the reporting chains as expected.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: 2013 Opening Weekends
2013 Opening Weekends
2-Day Weekend Gross / Admissions :: Film [Screen Count]

¥1.372 billion ($16.7 million) / 1,140,081 :: One Piece Film Z [300]
¥1 billion ↨
¥750 million ↨
¥667.3 million ($7.2 million) / 597,899 :: Doraemon: Nobita's Secret Gadget Museum [353]
¥500 million ↨
¥456.8 million ($5.5 million) / 357,976 :: Hunter X Hunter: The Phantom Rouge [257]
¥454.6 million ($5.4 million) / 398,754 :: 007: Skyfall [578]
¥402.4 million ($4.4 million) / 318,514 :: A Good Day to Die Hard [643]
¥400.5 million ($4.3 million) / 305,743 :: Platinum Data [310]
¥400 million ↨
¥339.7 million ($3.7 million) / 267,276 :: Wreck-It Ralph [416] DEBUT!
¥329.8 million ($3.7 million) / 219,536 :: Life of Pi [713]
¥326.2 million ($3.6 million) / 229,584 :: Ted [253]
¥317.9 million ($3.6 million) / 241,095 :: Strawberry Night [311]
¥300 million ↨
¥295.4 million ($3.4 million) / 229,295 :: Les Miserables [360]
¥281.6 million ($3.3 million) / 244,870 :: Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Wizard & Fourze [298]
¥269.9 million ($2.9 million) / 184,281 :: Oz: The Great and Powerful [582]
¥227.8 million ($2.7 million) / 187,422 :: Jack Reacher [321]
¥225.3 million ($2.7 million) / 188,378 :: Today, I Started Loving You [301]
¥220.5 million ($2.6 million) / 146,315 :: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [878]
¥211.2 million ($2.4 million) / 169,600 :: Aibou Series: X-Day [198] DEBUT!
¥209.6 million ($2.4 million) / 194,902 :: Tokyo Family [317]
¥206.4 million ($2.3 million) / 166,049 :: Brain Man [302]
¥206.3 million ($2.3 million) / 175,438 :: Humanoid Monster, Bem [331]
¥200 million ↨
¥196.6 million ($2.1 million) / 175,930 :: Pretty Cure All Stars: New Stage 2 [174]
¥173.5 million ($1.9 million) / 172,222 :: Inazuma Eleven GO: Ultimate Bonds [270]
¥156.3 million ($1.7 million) / 129,920 :: Flight [321]
¥137.1 million ($1.6 million) / 138,287 :: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs. Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger [175]
¥119.9 million ($1.4 million) / 92,646 :: Looper [201]
¥114.7 million ($1.3 million) / 94,122 :: Taken 2 [288]
¥111.8 million ($1.2 million) / 80,903 :: Frankenweenie [489]
¥100.8 million ($1.1 million) / 69,177 :: A Certain Magical Index [30]
¥100 million ↑

Good debuts for both Wreck-It Ralph and Aibou even if they came in much lower than early numbers suggested.

Now let's see how high Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods opens with this weekend.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 952  Next