Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 'Kranks' sneak preview results 
Sbil

Post 'Kranks' sneak preview results
From BOM:

Sony conducted over 900 sneak previews on Saturday for Christmas with the Kranks and reported 80% average capacity and many sell-outs. In exit polling, nearly all attendees rated the picture either "excellent" or "very good," while 55% of the audience was female, 51% was under 25, and 41% was families. The Chrismas comedy opens at over 3,000 theaters on Nov. 24.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1573&p=.htm

Sounds promising to me.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:24 pm
College Boy Z

Yup, it sounds like they did really well. However, I won't depend on the sneaks, only because of how misleading the Team America sneaks were recently, or even how the Shall We Dance?'s screenings at little to no attendance and still managed to be a nice hit.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:31 pm
Hot Fuss

Oooh... this one will be a very nice sized hit. Come on... its a no brainer! hehe. ;)

Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I think it is going to do fairly well this weekend. Depends on how word-of-mouth is though.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:54 pm
George A. Romero

tim allen needs to stop making christmas movies. he seems to have a new one every year. god that guy is annoying. i hope this one tanks but i'm sure it will make a crap-ton of money.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:16 am
Indiana Jones IV

I still don't know why they call this a "sneak" and not a "limited release just before it breaks wide," which is what it really is. :roll:

I guess it's sexier to go to a "sneak" because you feel all exclusive and special and stuff.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

Happy for it ! :D

Go Jamie Lee!

This is a $100M contender if you ask me.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:30 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

tim allen needs to stop making christmas movies. he seems to have a new one every year. god that guy is annoying. i hope this one tanks but i'm sure it will make a crap-ton of money.

Amen to that. Tim Allen is as annoying as Bob Sagot and I hope the movie bombs big time. Also the movie is getting reviews as bad as Surviving X-mas and I know what you people may say that critics and general audience taste are different but I don't buy how the sneak audience taste or so different from the critics where the article mentioned it got 80% approval from sneak audience :? . The trailers looks just terrible and hopefully the clout of other family movies will push the movie aside

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:37 pm
Hot Fuss

Terminator1997 wrote:

Amen to that. Tim Allen is as annoying as Bob Sagot and I hope the movie bombs big time. Also the movie is getting reviews as bad as Surviving X-mas and I know what you people may say that critics and general audience taste are different but I don't buy how the sneak audience taste or so different from the critics where the article mentioned it got 80% approval from sneak audience :? . The trailers looks just terrible and hopefully the clout of other family movies will push the movie aside

What do you mean, you don't get why people like it, but critics hate it? Everyone knows that happens for EVERY *FUNNY* comedy. Critics have their heads so far up their asses anyway. They don't know what is funny, or what people like. Thats why this one will do good. Because people LOVE Tim Allen, they love Christmas, and they love comedies.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

What do you mean, you don't get why people like it, but critics hate it? Everyone knows that happens for EVERY *FUNNY* comedy. Critics have their heads so far up their asses anyway. They don't know what is funny, or what people like. Thats why this one will do good. Because people LOVE Tim Allen, they love Christmas, and they love comedies.

I haven't seen many successful comedies get away with less than 20% in the rotten tomato reading. And contrary to popular beliefs, not every critic hates comedies. Look at how well Elf, Anchorman, Starsky and Hutch, and Dodgeball were received by critics, they all had fresh readings. Now compare that to drench like Whole 10 Yards or Taxi. Heck even White Chick is scoring better than the Kranks so far and it was really reviled by critics. I also happen to like White Chicks but the Kranks looks very formulatic and generic.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:30 pm
Hot Fuss

zach wrote:

...but the Kranks looks very formulatic and generic.

Ok, equally fair points with evidence.... but I must say... people love formulatic. Thats the point. They could remake the movie every year and it would make a load of money. I dunno. Its just one of those facts of life. big names, formulatic plot, blah blah, insta-hit. Look at Cheaper by the dozen, which was veeery generic and even unfunny imo.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: 'Kranks' sneak preview results
Quote:
Sony conducted over 900 sneak previews on Saturday for Christmas with the Kranks and reported 80% average capacity and many sell-outs.In exit polling, nearly all attendees rated the picture either "excellent" or "very good," while 55% of the audience was female, 51% was under 25, and 41% was families. The Chrismas comedy opens at over 3,000 theaters on Nov. 24.

Uhhh-Ohhh, sounds very promising! :)

Looks like Alexander won't get the #1 spot... :?

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:32 pm
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

zzzzz no one gonna listen to me, the sneak was horrible we sold it out yes but all 250 people in there came out complaining how it wasnt funny at all, everything was in the previews. It will do good Wed and Thurs and prob Fri but it will drop hard after that.

Does no one understand that when a studio releases its sneak preview info they are simply trying to hype it up so everyone will think its good ? Look at Team America as an example, most sneaks you never hear how they did until the movie opens wide

just my 2 cents...looks like I have a chance at the top 10 again if everyone is going crazy predictions with this...

oh and Alexander will not pass 20 mill for the 3 day either

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Animosity, I did take into account what you said, but I'm not going to let it influence my prediction. Your position on how this film will do seems more towards your opinion of the movie, which I think is blocking your good judgment. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, because it is a possibility. I just think that this movie appeals to a lot of people, and with the holiday season, it should be a big hit.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Indiana Jones IV

heh ive been a manager at a theatre for a long long time :P I admitt it will do huge Wed, Thurs and prob Friday, but thats a 5 day total and im predicting a 3 day and I just dont see that doing good.

Ive been around long enough I can usually tell by peoples reactions leaving how it will do in the long run. This weekend and Xmas weekend will be its only big numbers.

But hey game on :P Thats why they are predictions right ? Honestly I hope its a big hit cause ive always like Jamie Lee but I just dont think it will be. Prove me wrong Kranks 8)

Im still only going 18 mill for the 3 day...5 day will prob be around 28

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

heh ive been a manager at a theatre for a long long time :P I admitt it will do huge Wed, Thurs and prob Friday, but thats a 5 day total and im predicting a 3 day and I just dont see that doing good.

Ive been around long enough I can usually tell by peoples reactions leaving how it will do in the long run. This weekend and Xmas weekend will be its only big numbers.

But hey game on :P Thats why they are predictions right ? Honestly I hope its a big hit cause ive always like Jamie Lee but I just dont think it will be. Prove me wrong Kranks 8)

Im still only going 18 mill for the 3 day...5 day will prob be around 28

I agree with your assessment. I hope this movie bombs big time and the studios will stop making these bad biennial 90 minute extended episodes of Home Improvement.

And this one looks really awful.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Post Re: 'Kranks' sneak preview results
Libs wrote:
From BOM:

Sony conducted over 900 sneak previews on Saturday for Christmas with the Kranks and reported 80% average capacity and many sell-outs. In exit polling, nearly all attendees rated the picture either "excellent" or "very good," while 55% of the audience was female, 51% was under 25, and 41% was families. The Chrismas comedy opens at over 3,000 theaters on Nov. 24.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1573&p=.htm

Sounds promising to me.

Should be intersting who wins out. The sneak previewers who liked the movie as above vs the critics who hated the movie per the RT rating.

Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]