Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Sony's Sorry Year in 2005 
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Sony's Sorry Year in 2005
I wasn't sure whether this should be Box Office or Cinemania...but I picked here, obviously.

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-e ... -top-right

Some interesting tidbits about Sony's ups and downs over the last 12 months.

I was especially struck by the troubles meeting FUN WITH DICK & JANE:

Quote:
Light romantic comedies are not supposed to be expensive, grueling endeavors, but the filming of "Fun With Dick and Jane" was anything but fun for Sony Pictures.

Months over schedule and millions over budget, the remake of the 1977 caper comedy had a revolving door of top-dollar screenwriters constantly reworking its script. A year after the Jim Carrey movie began filming, director Dean Parisot had to go back behind the cameras, reshooting some 30 pages of new dialogue. The movie missed its planned summer release and will now come out in December.

As I said in an earlier thread, the word is that the movie is toxic. While later in the article we are assured that FWD&J "has proved very popular in audience previews," that's what they ALWAYS say. Smells awfully fishy.

Bombs away, Dick and Jane.

The box office may still be ok. A shitty movie with Jim Carrey doesn't necessarily equal bad box office (Bruce Almighty, anyone?). So maybe it'll be a hit anyway.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:20 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Every time I go to the movies and the D&J trailer is on, people are honestly jumping out of their chair in laughter. But like Fockers proved last year, comedies no loved by critics are usually crowd pleasers.

Yes, this year has been a bad year in comparison for Sony. But 2006 looks so much better. Too bad they have to release BASIC INSTINCT 2.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:15 pm
You must have big rats

This has been a bad bad year for Sony. They won't be making many big-budgeted action flicks anytime soon.

Isn't it incredible that their #2 movie of the year is still Are we there yet? Now who would have guessed that this movie would make more than Stealth and xXx: State of the Union combined?

Hitch made quite a sum and basically single-handidly somewhat saved the rest of the year for Sony.

The Fog disappointed, but it did make its budget back and with foreign grosses it will be a hit.

Stealth and xXx2 are really big bombs, but the moderate successes of Bewitched, Guess Who and The Legend of Zorro combined with Hitch will make up for that. The Legend of Zorro will make an okay $50-55 million in the States, but the worldwide gross will be north of $160 million and might approach $200 million.

Fun with Dick and Jane
will be a hit, even if it is not good. Jim Carrey in a comedy and a funny trailer guarantee at least a $100 million gross. It won't outdo Hitch, though.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

It's really too bad, especially since they started off well with Are We There Yet?, Boogeyman, Hitch, and Guess Who (we'll not mention Man of the House ;) )....next year looks promising though.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]