Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 WoKJ Predictions. 
King Albert!

Post WoKJ Predictions.
My weekend article.

1. Wallace and Gromit - 18.7m
2. In Her Shoes - 13.1m
3. Two For the Money - 11.5m
4. Flightplan - 10.1m (-32%)
5. Gospel - 6.1m
6. Corpse Bride - 5.6m (-44%)
7. History of Violence - 5.4m (-33%)
8. Serenity - 4.4m (-56%)
9. Greatest Game Ever Played - 4.0m (+8%)
10. Into the Blue - 3.5m (-50%)
11. Just Like Heaven - 3.0m (-51%)
12. Waiting - 2.1m

Top Twelve Cume - 87.5m

It has been five weeks without an article, what a perfect time to open five movies. Well is it? Five movies open, all demographically different, to capitalize on Columbus day weekend.

Wallace and Gromit will look for that no good Were Rabbit in 3645 locations. Dreamworks has had luck opening their animated kid-pics on the first weekend of October. In 1998, Antz opened with a then October record of $17.2 million. Then Shark Tale opened it's fins last year with a near record opening weekend of $47.6 million. Wallace and Gromit will not likely set any records, but it should post a solid opening weekend gross. Even though Wallace and Gromit are popular in the U.K., they are not very well known in the states. The trailer doesn't do much to attract strong buzz (even though it looks good), but the reviews have been excellent, and it will give kids something to see. Besides, it has no other true kid-pic to compete with. Look for a sturdy $5,000 per screen average, giving this spoof an $18.7 million opening cume, followed by small declines throughout the month of October since it has no direct competition until some crazy chicken falls from the sky, but that won't be till November.

Also over the weekend, Cameron Diaz will be In Her Shoes at 2808 retirement homes. During the last two weekends, the sneaks have performed strongly, and will try to spread the word of mouth going into the weekend. But the one drawback to it's potential, beside the fact that alot of people have already seen it, is that it lacks in male appeal. Aside from Diaz, it has nothing to attract the male demographic. But the female portion should be strong. Then again, female driven movies hardly ever get per screen averages above $5,000. This one should be just below that mark, which will give this dramedy a solid $13.1 million start.

Al Pacino will be Two for the Money at 2388 bars this weekend. Pacino still knows how to draw in audiences, mostly old that is. The premise looks intriguing, and the trailer looks solid, so this should be able to get some attention from young males. Then again, the trailer focuses more on the drama element than the comedy element, which is very tricky for dramedies. The reviews have not been favorable, which will deter alot of older folk. But the true story element will attract the older people, costar Matthew McConaughey will attract some females, and the premise will attract the target demo, young males. But the lack of huge buzz will prevent this from getting a $5,000 per screen average, but the good concept will make it come close, which will give this sports betting movie an $11.5 million beginning.

Also over the weekend, the Gospel will sing it way in 969 churches. This movie will get alot of support from Urban and Religious audiences. Though the theater count it very narrow, it is being released primarily in Urban and religious towns. Though the subject matter will not attract general audience. The per screen average should be in the $6,000 since it should appeal strictly with the religious urban crowd. This will give this drama an inspirational $6.1 million opening song, I mean weekend cume.

A crazy group of teen will be Waiting tables at 1652 restaurants. This movies is strictly getting dumped by the studio, with no promotion, no buzz, and no star power. The reviews have been horrid, and the trailers looks unfunny (who can blame them, the R-rating limits what can be seen in trailers, especially for a movie filled with grossed out gags). Theaters are even playing the movie in their smallest auditoriums, not a good sign. And with the target audience being young males, Baseball playoffs and Football will not help at all. The R-rating also limits the number of teen audiences. The per screen average should be embarrassingly low for the comedy pic, giving this turkey a meager $2.1 million.

As for holdovers, Flightplan and Corpse Bride should experience better hold than last weekend thanks to inflated Sunday grosses, though Bride will get hit a bit by Wallace and Gromit. History of Violence will hold on to it's adult audience with it's good word of mouth. Serenity will nosedive thanks to it's Saturday drop and limited appeal outside fanbase. Into the Blue won't fare much better thanks to lukewarm reaction. Just Like Heaven receives stiff competition and a big theater drop. And the Greatest Game Ever Played should have it's per screen average drop in the 30% range, giving this a small increase thanks to the dramatic increase in theaters.

All in all, it should be another quiet weekend, with the openers shaking up the charts once again. It may not top the $97.3 million that last year top twelve cume collected, but the box office should rebound in a couple of weeks, with promising titles opening towards the end of October.

Read and discuss.

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I agree with your predictions more than with most others I have seen so far.

I just have to disagree on The Corpse Bride and agree with Brandon on that one. I predicted $6.9 milion as well. Columbus Day should help it a whole lot. Also disagree on Waiting ($4.2 million is my prediction).

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
King Albert!

I agree with your predictions more than with most others I have seen so far.

I just have to disagree on The Corpse Bride and agree with Brandon on that one. I predicted $6.9 milion as well. Columbus Day should help it a whole lot. Also disagree on Waiting ($4.2 million is my prediction).

I took Columbus Day as the helping point, but Wallace and Gromit should hit it directly.

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Post Re: WoKJ Predictions.
Scott V. wrote:
My weekend article.

1. Wallace and Gromit - 18.7m
2. In Her Shoes - 13.1m
3. Two For the Money - 11.5m
4. Flightplan - 10.1m (-32%)
5. Gospel - 6.1m
6. Corpse Bride - 5.6m (-44%)
7. History of Violence - 5.4m (-33%)
8. Serenity - 4.4m (-56%)
9. Greatest Game Ever Played - 4.0m (+8%)
10. Into the Blue - 3.5m (-50%)
11. Just Like Heaven - 3.0m (-51%)
12. Waiting - 2.1m

about right for W&G
$4m too high for InHerShoes
$2m too high for TFTM
right on for Gospel & Waiting.

;)

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]