Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 23796 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 940, 941, 942, 943, 944, 945, 946 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (07/28-30); Charts Updati
Rouk' wrote:
I had forgotten how long it took Slam Dunk to reach 5B

What an incredible run it had after that, crazy

Yeah, it's going to more than triple its 23 day (4 week total since it opened on a Sat) total. It's up to x2.963 its 4-week total after its 35th weekend, and should exceed x3 this week. :zonks:

Films doubling their 4-week total is pretty rare, but there's a fair list of films that have done it. I counted 15 films that did this on the biggest fourth weekend chart which is 41 films long and includes most of the leggiest films ever (so 36% of those films did it). So... guess it's more "uncommon" than "rare."

The only films, excluding small/limited releases, that I see that have managed to triple their 4-week totals are Bohemian Rhapsody (x4.063), Frozen (x3.307) and Spirited Away (x3.109). Your Name. came close (x2.934). So in terms of longevity, The First Slam Dunk is up there with them in this statistic as just the fourth film (on record!) to triple its 4-week total.

(I might create this list, as well as for other weekends in the future.)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Is there a reason in Japan moviegoing seems to peak at 2pm/1400 hours? And in the US it peaks at 7pm/1900 hours?

Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:28 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

1-3pm is usually busy since it's that crossover time period of seniors and families (who favor going to the 8am-noon showings) and teens and adults (who favor going to the 7pm-10pm showings), so the 1-3pm showings are getting some of pretty much every demographic.

8-9pm is also usually busy because tickets are discounted after 8pm at many locations, so the showings in this hour are typically packed unless it's a particularly young or senior skewing movie (these typically die after 7pm).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

I wonder why are Crayon Shin-chan and Elemental so soft this Saturday, They're not improving from early Friday results.

I mean I know the day's not over, but I'm still curious. Maybe it has to do with the younger demographic targeted?

Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:51 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Saturday was a little odd. My guess is that since we're firmly in the middle of summer vacation now, Crayon Shin-chan and Elemental were basically flat since weekdays and weekends become blurred for young-skewing films. This usually doesn't happen until closer to (and of course during) Obon Festival though, so it feels about a week early.

Another possibility, but it'd be pretty unlikely I think, is that Tokyo was 38C/100F yesterday. I could see that being a reason for some families and seniors to stay home and wait for another day to come out. Tokyo (and Japan) gets hot in the summer, of course, but 38C/100F is still a lot and pretty rare. The box office is only negatively impacted by the weather under extreme circumstances in/around Tokyo, so would this be "extreme?" Not sure. If Sunday is way up across the board, then this reason could have truth behind it.

Kingdom III will easily win its second weekend at #1 now.

2nd-6th place looks like a real toss up as they're all too close to rank right now. I'd say How Do You Live? and MI7 will be #5/6 while the three openers, Crayon Shin-chan, Elemental, and Transformers, fight for #2-4, but they managed to beat/match all three of them on Saturday. The openers came in higher on Friday so they still have the advantage to rank #2-4, but we need to see what happens on Sunday.

It's still a good weekend overall, just a case of everything doing "okay/good" and not "great."

#1: Kingdom III (WK2) - ¥550/600 million
#2-6: Crayon Shin-chan (New), Elemental (New), Transformers (New), How Do You Live? (WK4), and MI7 (WK3) all possibly between ¥325-375 million, give or take.

Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Yeah the morning was rough for Elemental and Crayon Shin-chan but they recovered in the afternoon and evening. Wonder why.

Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:26 pm
Child Actor

So during today's OP newest episode it was announced Film Red would return to movie theaters... I mean it was what like a year or less since it was shown?

Stupid Toei should just make a movie of what's currently running in the anime. In some countries like France and Spain they didn't allow companies to put today's episode on cinemas and instead they re-run Film Red lol... Whatever.

EDIT:
So after checking Film Red got like
008. ¥19.71 billion ($143.8 million) - One Piece Film Red (2022)

So I am guessing Toei's aim is for the film to get to 20b in total?? But maybe they want the film to beat Harry Potter at #6, which I think if they give out certain freebies or something could happen? Any predictions?

Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:06 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Do you know when it's being re-released?

This week/next week (for Obon Festival) would be the ideal time since the anime is now entering probably its biggest moment since 2010 (Paramount War) or 2011 (first episode post time skip). It actually feels like an even bigger moment, but that might be due to social media being much more prominent.

A ton of marketing and hype has gone into today's episode (1,071). It's trending worldwide.

Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Child Actor

According to the official account it will be friday October 20th and it will be for a whole month.
https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/stat ... 6239688707

I think it's an OK date, it will probably coincide with the current arcs warp-up, which was running while Film Red was running a year ago (So basiclly the manga chapters that ran while Red was on cinemas a year ago will be animated during Red' re-run).

This is kind of "important" because
Spoiler: show
Shanks appears again on a couple of these chapters/episodes, though as usual with him for a very brief period of time. I rememebr people joking back then that Oda had brought Shanks out of nowhere in the manga to hype film RED lol

And also a month and a half after the live action.

So yeah, I think it's good, idk how good in terms of what other stuff will be showing in Japan at the time, but I think Toei just wants the film to get to the 20billion club. At most 21 billion? But I don't really know, if they add some new stuff to the movie, which... Would they? I think it would be gross after they already sold BDs worldwide lol. But with freebies I think maybe they could get to 21b.

Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:55 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It says it'll be a 4K version of the film that returns to theaters. And the first 50,000 advance tickets that are sold (presales beginning next week, the beginning of Obon Festival) will receive a limited edition movie card and sticker, so those will go immediately.

I'm sure they chose this exact date (Oct. 20th) for a reason. Probably due to that being around the time the current arc (in its 4th year!) begins to wrap up as you mentioned. Seeing it in 4K will probably bring a decent amount of fans out to support the re-release, but I suspect they'll include a giveaway as well (99.9% something related to what just debuted in the anime I bet) that will be the real driving force behind people coming back again to see it.

As for its potential... it's hard to say. It'll be enough to take it over ¥20 billion at least though, and probably over Princess Mononoke and Harry Potter 1 as well since they're both just above the mark, so going from #8 all-time to #6 is practically locked. Could add over ¥1 billion to its current total. That's about what the Detective Conan compilation films have earned, which could be somewhat comparable to this.

Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Looks like all 6 big movies this weekend, but especially Crayon Shin-chan and Elemental. are having a big Sunday. Maybe there is something to what you said, Corpse.

Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:16 am
The Incredible Hulk

Corpse wrote:
It says it'll be a 4K version of the film that returns to theaters. And the first 50,000 advance tickets that are sold (presales beginning next week, the beginning of Obon Festival) will receive a limited edition movie card and sticker, so those will go immediately.

I'm sure they chose this exact date (Oct. 20th) for a reason. Probably due to that being around the time the current arc (in its 4th year!) begins to wrap up as you mentioned. Seeing it in 4K will probably bring a decent amount of fans out to support the re-release, but I suspect they'll include a giveaway as well (99.9% something related to what just debuted in the anime I bet) that will be the real driving force behind people coming back again to see it.

As for its potential... it's hard to say. It'll be enough to take it over ¥20 billion at least though, and probably over Princess Mononoke and Harry Potter 1 as well since they're both just above the mark, so going from #8 all-time to #6 is practically locked. Could add over ¥1 billion to its current total. That's about what the Detective Conan compilation films have earned, which could be somewhat comparable to this.

Are there precedents to this?
Other movies returning in theatres 1 year or so after the first run ended.

And if there was any, how did they perform?

Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:25 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

There probably is, but none come to mind meaning they didn't earn very much upon re-release.

In general, re-releases don't do much in Japan. They're usually given limited releases, and just don't do big numbers. A lot of films actually *do* get re-released in Japan, some films very often in fact, but they're very limited and for a short period (like a week or two) and their grosses are very small and not reported.

However, 2020 changed this up a bit and saw a number of high-profile re-releases to help theaters out. Theaters reopened in Japan in mid-June 2020, but a lot of films had been delayed due to COVID, so we got several re-releases that summer that were given the wide theatrical treatment.

I *think* Titanic is the only film to gross over ¥1 billion in its 2023 re-release this year with ¥1.09 billion. The 3D re-release in 2012(?) also did well, earning, if I recall, ¥850 million. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke came close in 2020 re-releases with ¥880 million each, and I believe they're tied second behind Titanic in re-release earnings.

Everything else is pretty distant, but notables I know are Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (¥710 million) in 2020 (part of that COVID re-release boom) and Avatar (¥300 million) last year. Can't say with 100% certainty, but I think this is it in terms of significant re-release earnings.

One Piece Film Red will probably join them because Toei is pushing its re-release, I see. The 50,000 giveaway to those who are first to buy an advance ticket beginning on August 11th (assume those will sellout immediately), and with the anime reaching one of its biggest moments ever (people said episode 1,071 crashed streaming services for a bit yesterday, and I saw it trending worldwide), Toei is clearly capitalizing on it by doing this Film Red re-release for October. I don't want to make predictions without knowing more about it, but ¥1 billion (or at least close) wouldn't be too shocking I don't think if they did a giveaway. One Piece has a big fanbase; I imagine a a fair amount of them will return.

Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

So a fourth My Hero Academia movie is coming:
https://twitter.com/heroaca_anime/statu ... XI78Q&s=19

Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:21 am
The Dark Knight

$2.3M Elemental (Disney International)

Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:22 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'll go with...

Aug. 04-06:
1. ¥575-600m ($4.0-4.2m) - Kingdom III: Flame of Destiny (WK2)
2. ¥375-400m ($2.6-2.8m) - Crayon Shin-chan: Super-Powered Climactic Battle - Soaring Hand-Rolled Sushi (NEW)
3. ¥350-375m ($2.5-2.6m) - How Do You Live? (WK4)
4. ¥350-375m ($2.5-2.6m) - Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 (WK3)
5. ¥325-350m ($2.3-2.5m) - Elemental (NEW)
6. ¥325-350m ($2.3-2.5m) - Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (NEW)

SOOOO... lol. (Ranking based on my predicted ranking.)

Super close between #3-6 (even #2-6, but especially #3-6). Kingdom III took #1 of course, and I believe Crayon Shin-chan took #2 unless its avg. ticket price comes in low (it usually does, but the 3D should boost it). The rest... super close. Transformers is only in the running for the top 5 because, I assume, it'll have a high avg. ticket price, but if it doesn't (due to having to share/split the premiums), then it'll be #6 for sure (100% it's #6 in admissions at least.)

Depending on the actuals, this could be the closest battle consisting of films in the Top 5/6 ever. #2-6 could only be separated by like ¥25/50m ($0.2/0.3m or so)... or less.

Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Titanic

Original - ¥16B Rental // ¥26.2B Gross
2012 Re-release - ¥479.79M
2023 4K Re-mastered - ¥1,089,708,980 / 617,632 admits -

And that explains ¥27.77B Total at Official Site.

Final Weekdays of 2023 release of 14-Days Limited Run was so insane that - Mon (¥80M), Tue (¥90M), Wed (¥100M) &Thu (¥220M)

Several cinema requested to extend the run by another two weeks but Fox/Disney refused - resulting in cancellation of shows at UC/AEON next day. Currently, Right of Studio in deciding end screening date has been abolished and Cinema can continue to play film until there is public demand. Historically, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Greatest Showman, Midnight Swan and even now Top Gun Maverick continue to play at some TC.

Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:03 pm
The Dark Knight

Avatar (2022 Re-release) - ¥315.41M

Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:04 pm
Speed Racer

Hmm not sure what to think of the WOM of Elemental. I see it gets good user reviews, maybe not outstanding though. I see lots of fawning Japanese comments on youtube but also some critical ones. Like the movie is too ugly and not cute/pretty enough for the Japanese audience.

Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:26 pm
Hold the door!

How did Elemental do???

Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:16 pm
Speed Racer

zwackerm wrote:
How did Elemental do???

It had a pretty decent/good opening weekend.

And now that numbers are rolling in I think it's going to have a wonderful Monday hold. It made $2.3 million over the weekend in Japan by the way

Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:33 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, it's a good-enough opening. A little better than I would have predicted. Could have been worse, could have been better. But ultimately... gonna continue Disney's 4-year disappointment streak as it shouldn't come near Pixar's average gross, let alone get Disney their first blockbuster since 2019.

¥2 billion (~$14 million) is about the "expected" finish an opening like this at this time of year will produce. Strong legs can get it up to ¥2.5 billion (~$17/18 million). And very strong legs, and likely best-case-scenario, it goes for ¥3 billion (~$21 million).

It will need to do as much as it can over the next 3-4 weeks though because when September begins, young-skewing films collapse. Can't afford any slip-ups during August. August is the strongest month of the year, especially for younger-skewing films, so the beginning of the month is a great time to open, but also need to be prepared for the September crash.

Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Top Gun Maverick is now 13.73 billion yen, not 13.72, really don't know how long it's gonna be in cinema, at this point MI7 might end its run before Maverick does. Regarding the cinema that keeps playing Maverick, I think it's not about money any more, it's about a cinematic statement that the cinema owner loves Maverick too much and want people to see it as many as possible.

Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:50 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Corpse wrote:
I'll go with...

Aug. 04-06:
1. ¥575-600m ($4.0-4.2m) - Kingdom III: Flame of Destiny (WK2)
2. ¥375-400m ($2.6-2.8m) - Crayon Shin-chan: Super-Powered Climactic Battle - Soaring Hand-Rolled Sushi (NEW)
3. ¥350-375m ($2.5-2.6m) - How Do You Live? (WK4)
4. ¥350-375m ($2.5-2.6m) - Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 (WK3)
5. ¥325-350m ($2.3-2.5m) - Elemental (NEW)
6. ¥325-350m ($2.3-2.5m) - Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (NEW)

Numbers so far:

¥595m ($4.2m) / 398,000 admits - Kingdom III: Flame of Destiny (WK2)
¥401m ($2.8m) / 322,000 admits - Crayon Shin-chan: Super-Powered Climactic Battle - Soaring Hand-Rolled Sushi (NEW)
¥353.2m ($2.5m) / 224,473 admits - Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (NEW)
¥336.9m ($2.4m) / 254,932 admits - Elemental (NEW)

Admissions were: Kingdom > Crayon > Elemental > How Do You Live? > MI7 > Transformers.

So, HDYL and MI7 are likely to come in right around ¥350m or so too since they're both somewhere between 224,473-254,932 admissions each.

Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Biggest August Opening Weekends
Biggest August Opening Weekends (1998-):

01. ¥2.254 billion ($16.7 million) / 1,579,552 - One Piece Film Red (2022)
______
02. ¥930.0 million ($9.2 million) / 688,079 - Your Name. (2016)
03. ¥845.1 million ($6.8 million) / 544,759 - Jurassic World (2015)
04. ¥832.5 million ($7.7 million) / 622,931 - Hancock (2008)
05. ¥806.0 million ($7.6 million) / 598,000 - One Piece: Stampede (2019)
06. ¥805.0 million ($6.7 million) / 608,000 - Jurassic Park III (2001)
07. ¥767.2 million ($7.5 million) / 554,991 - Stand By Me, Doraemon (2014)
08. ¥766.3 million ($7.1 million) / 596,640 - The Mummy 3: The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008)
09. ¥728.7 million ($6.8 million) / 497,000 - The Lion King (2019)

______
10. ¥644.5 million ($5.7 million) / 455,000 - The Suspect: Muroi Shinji (2005)
11. ¥639.2 million ($5.7 million) / 450,315 - Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)
12. ¥631.4 million ($5.3 million) / 477,030 - Transformers (2007)
13. ¥625.6 million ($5.8 million) / 465,934 - 20th Century Boys - Chapter 1: Beginning of the End (2008)
14. ¥603.5 million ($4.9 million) / 466,953 - Attack on Titan - Part 1 (2015)
15. ¥592.2 million ($5.8 million) / 433,346 - Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno (2014)
16. ¥573.5 million ($4.6 million) / 427,281 - Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)
17. ¥546.0 million ($4.4 million) / 449,055 - Minions (2015)
18. ¥545.9 million ($4.5 million) / 410,089 - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
19. ¥528.2 million ($4.8 million) / 385,058 - Gintama 2 (2018)
20. ¥504.0 million ($4.7 million) / 331,000 - Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019)
21. ¥500.9 million ($6.4 million) / 326,109 - The Avengers (2012)

______
22. ¥498.6 million ($4.1 million) / 362,000 - Ocean's Thirteen (2007)
23. ¥485.3 million ($4.7 million) / 302,992 - Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)
24. ¥477.5 million ($5.0 million) / 399,779 - Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker (2009)
25. ¥474.9 million ($4.5 million) / 274,017 - Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel III - Spring Song (2020)
26. ¥467.4 million ($4.6 million) / 370,046 - The Secret Life of Pets (2016)
27. ¥448.5 million ($4.1 million) / 298,898 - Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
28. ¥422.1 million ($3.8 million) / 331,697 - Incredibles 2 (2018)
29. ¥415.8 million ($3.8 million) / 317,807 - Killing for the Prosecutors (2018)
30. ¥413.2 million ($3.9 million) / 334,000 - Doraemon: Nobita's New Dinosaur (2020)
31. ¥409.6 million ($3.3 million) / 305,396 - Boruto: Naruto the Movie (2015)
32. ¥401.0 million ($2.8 million) / 322,000 - Crayon Shin-chan: Super-Powered Climactic Battle - Soaring Hand-Rolled Sushi (2023)*

2-Day (Past-2022)
*3-Day (2023-Present)

Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23796 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 940, 941, 942, 943, 944, 945, 946 ... 952  Next