Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Kinda Being Singles in 2019 (#1!) 
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (50-41)
My lucifer is lonely

36. All The Good Girls Go To Hell - Billie Eilish

Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:47 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (50-41)
40. Mannequin Pussy are my annual choice with a swear word in their band title (last year was Fucked Up) though this is not intentionally for comedy. It’s a good ole garage rock song about calling your ex up after a few too many drinks and then drinking more to forget you did that. Actually it’s the third song on the list about that very subject, I wonder if I’m suppressing something or if girls were just really horny for something familiar this year? This is also one of those songs where I thought I was the only one who cared, but have been pleasantly surprised to see it pop up on various lists including both RollingStone and Pitchfork.

39. I linked the live version of Lo/Hi almost entirely because Kimmel put “Marvel meets The Irishman” is the description of the video. Doesn’t make any sense, but it did make me laugh. Anyways, Black Keys set out with a pretty firm goal this year - Let’s Rock! And rock they did. With Auerbach using his more experimental ideas in his production for other artists, the Black Keys were freed up to just sing, play guitar and hit the drums. It wasn’t their best album, but it was a lot of fun, and this song displays that well.

38. 7 Rings, as an ode to wealth, could have been very annoying. Even three years ago, I don’t think Ari, the girl who spits on donuts, could have gotten away this song. Yet in 2019, she has an entirely different image of someone who has gone through some shit (whirlwind romances, death of an ex, terrorists targeting your concerts, etc..) When you combine that with the 10 extremely personal songs that come before it, 7 Rings seems as much as a way of coping as it is a boast. Whether you got $100 or $100M, everyone feels a little better after buying some shit they don’t need.

37. The Shelters made an album where they seemingly captured every single bit of the mid 2000s alternative rock magic. This particular song reminds me most of a band like We Are Scientists, but the album covers a wide range, and the point is that this era of rock is awesome and not often enough appreciated. And even thought the verses and videos would suggest this is comparing a relationship to the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I still see it as a love song toward that era.

36. Didn’t realize this song had a video before the process started, and had a different song in its place here. Billie’s album is full of worthy picks, though unlike some other pop stars, she actually made videos for all her best songs. Including this (very appropriately) weird one. Anyways, I think this one actually has the best lyrics one the album. Not only her instantly iconic line my lucifer is lonely, but shit like “standing there, killing time, can’t commit to anything but crime Peter’s on vacation An open invitation” just hits for me.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:48 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (40-36)
Update #4 coming soon.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:41 pm
The Kramer

Starry starry night this is how I want to live

35. Turn the Light by Karen O & Dangermouse

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:48 pm
The Kramer

And now the city's a puzzle that I can't solve

34. Hardly To Blame by Sheer Mag

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:59 pm
The Kramer

The internet is acting up so this is gonna have to be a short update. Will finish it later after I reboot/call and complain.

35. Karen O (from Yeah Yeah Yeahs) and DangerMouse (from everything) teamed up this year for some high quality results. This one, my favorite on the album, is very spacey but also has vibes of a western. Basically it’s what The Mandalorian would fuck to. It’s especially nice to have Karen back though, as she has been out of the game for a while, only doing little one off solo singles a few years ago. It’s been new ages since we’ve had any new Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I guess it’s easier to just occasionally reunite for some festival shows and then go back to your own lives.

34. Our first former #1 turns up. Sheer Mag’s sophomore album wasn’t quite as mind blowing as their debut from 2017 (my #1 album that year too), which featured a lot more funky sounds. Even without their previous grooviness, they can still make some good rock songs though. Lead by Hardly To Blame, a reflective break up song, they went in more of a 70s jailhouse rock direction. Thin Lizzy is their biggest influence so I suppose that makes sense.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:04 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (40-34)
Internet should be good to continue. Though my cat sitting on my keyboard might complicate matters....

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:10 am
The Kramer

We used to have dreams getting out the flats, bus rides to the studio just to make tracks

33. 101 FM by Little Simz

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:18 am
The Kramer

People really know you push your buttons like typewrite

32. Follow God by Kanye West

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:23 am
The Kramer

But every time a problem ends another one begins

31. Harmony Hall by Vampire Weekend

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:27 am
The Kramer

Do you wanna start a cult with me? I'm not vibrating like I ought to be

30. MANTRA by Bring Me The Horizon

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:35 am
The Kramer

I've been running away again, chasing after all the battles I could never win

29. Low by Wage War

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:42 am
The Kramer

We're a little bit messed up on the order now but I assume it will get right by the end. Otherwise I'll have to find a few more hits for 0, -1, -2 and so on!

33. Hip-hop finally turns up on the list thanks to this girl from London of all people. Wasn’t a great year for the genre, but that doesn’t take away from the impresiveness of Little Simz scoring the best rap album of the year. 101 FM kicks off her album by taking it back to her early days, when she could only dream of one day having my favorite hip-hop album of 2019 (since that is what young artists think of). My only issue is that during the hook she talks about playing Crash Bandicoot on the PS2 but those are like the worst ones! I guess the rhyming is more important than pointing out how the series cratered once Naughty Dog left to do Jak & Daxter.

32. 2019 Kanye West will probably be most remembered for either the crazy political things he continues to say or making a song about Chick Fil A. It probably won’t be for him going all in on his faith. I think we were all a little worried about Kanye making a gospel, but it turned out decently all things considered. Follow God is hard banger, coming in at under two minutes but just going for it the entire way through. And apparently when he dedicates an album to the lord, he actually sticks to his deadlines!

31. Vampire Weekend came back from their six year hiatus with a rallying cry for peace. And it’s such a big anthem with such positive vibes that you can forgive them for reusing some old lyrics from 2013. The wicked snakes inside a place you thought was dignified could unfortunately apply to just about anything right now. They can only do what they do best though, and hopefully someone really angry heard this song and chilled the fuck out because of it.

30. Bring Me The Horizon are certainly not a new artist, but they kind of served that role for me this year. When I was a youngling, this was a screamo-core through and through and I could not stand them. About five years ago or so they drastically changed their sound, going more towards alternative, away from the screaming and letting Oliver Sykes shine on with his voice. I had no idea until this little piece came into my life, an arena rock anthem that will surely be played at sporting events and movie trailers to get people hyped up for years to come. More importantly, it showed you should always give people second chances cause they just might surprise you!

29. And speaking of bands that I might not have given another chance otherwise… You probably listen to this song and think Oh it’s not so much different than all the other metalcore bands who have hard singing during the verses and then clean it up for the chorus. But few can do it so seamlessly. This riff and this hook should not mix like reeses. The clean singer even gets a few songs of his own on the album, such as “Me Against Myself” which might be the best pop-punk song of the year (but does not have a video to make it onto the list.) I don’t think anybody would have expected that after what these guys have done in the past, or even the first 50-60 seconds of this song.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:43 am
The Kramer

The 2-day recap for people who don't feel like scrolling through all the videos (this might be the source of my internet issues lol.)

29. Low - Wage War
30. Mantra - Bring Me The Horizon
31. Harmony Hall - Vampire Weekend
32. Follow God - Kanye West
33. 101 FM - Little Simz
34. Hardly To Blame - Sheer Mag
35. Turn the Light - Karen O & DangerMouse
36. All The Good Girls Go To Hell - Billie Eilish
37. You’re Different - The Shelters
38. 7 Rings - Ariana Grande
39. Lo/Hi - The Black Keys
40. Drunk II - Mannaquin Pussy
41. I’ll Be Back Someday - Tegan & Sara
42. Radio - Rammstein
43. Speechless - Naomi Scott
44. Crowbar - Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes
45. Never Really Over - Katy Perry
46. Gone - Charli XCX & Christine and the Queens
47. Pa Pa Ya - Babymetal
48. Faraway Look - Yola
49. Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
50. Hard Place - HER

So it's really not too much different in terms of known v unknown artists than normal, so I might have restricted myself to videos for no reason. Still, we press on, and maybe, just maybe things will get a bit more familiar tomorrow and beyond?

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:45 am
Devil's Advocate

I like Never Really Over

I have a feeling Raising Hell won’t make it

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:32 am
100% That Bitch

I swear to God if you don't rank goddess Kesha.
I lien your list so far, while your music style is something I'd go as far as call hipster ish you have good ear for the pop gems!

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:17 am
The Kramer

I usually don't rank singles for albums that are coming out the following year. I usually just listen to them once or twice and wait for the full record. Kesha will probably make the 2020 list though, if the album is anywhere near as good as Rainbow that is. Kinda like how Carly Rae missed out last year with Party For One, but will … do better in future updates. :P

Another update coming .. now!

Oh and as always, thanks for the interest and the comments. :D

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:45 pm
The Kramer

You know I never meant to cut you off, Got phantom feelings I can never solve

28. Ghost by Au/Ra X Alan Walker

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:54 pm
The Kramer

Until every last lyric's left covered in red

27. Taste of Regret by Of Mice & Men

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:00 pm
The Kramer

Pick yourself up on off the kitchen floor What you waitin for?

26. GIRL by Maren Morris

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:09 pm
The Kramer

Another quickie update since I have to get ready for work but it's fine since balance was required at some point anyways.

28. A great song that promotes a film is pretty common in the industry. Sometimes it’s part of the movie, sometimes it is part of the trailer. What you don’t see very often is a great original song designed to promote a video game. Putting together an album to support it just seems like an odd move. Well Hideo Kojima is an odd guy, so he actually went all out on the soundtrack to his odd game, Death Stranding. And in a way, this song, along with the others from Chvrches, Bring Me The Horizon, Khalid, etc… did a better job at selling me the game then any of the real advertising did. It just sets a mood for a world that I want to be a part of. This song would probably be huge if it was sung by Halsey, but a)she already has a song called Ghost and b) now we all know how great the dynamic duo of Au/Ra and Alan Walker can be.

27. Several years ago, a metalcore band called Attack Attack splintered off into a pair of bands called Beartooth and Of Mice & Men. Anyone who pays attention to my lists know how fond I am of Beartooth, but I was always meh on the other side. Give me some monsters instead of mice anyday, fuck that rabbit killer Lenny. Yet on this album, I dunno, it just worked out. The songs don’t feel like they’re trying to hard. And I just look the lines of this track. I totally agree that the taste of blood is better than the taste of regret. Regret sticks with you.

26. Marren Morris’ debut album is one of my favorite things ever produced by the country genre. Her new one .. not so much. Let’s not worry about that though, because at least it had one winner on it. Girl is such a huge anthem meant to be sung by an entire stadium full of people. And even though it’s obviously meant to be a female-empowerment track, I think anyone can relate as long as you’ve had a friend who has been down before and in need of some pick-me-up advice. Ironically, despite singing about girls all year round, Marren is currently pregnant with a little boy.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:10 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (40-26)
Well yesterday was a big fail in terms of updating this, but the good news is I'm back now and ready to rumble!

Oh shit there's a new Tenet trailer?

#DistractedAgain

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:28 pm
The Kramer

Did a full 180, crazy, thinking bout the way I was

25. Don't Start Now by Dua Lipa

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:36 pm
The Kramer

Let me be the light upon the lake

24. Give A Little by Maggie Rogers

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:46 pm
The Kramer

So join me in this bed that I'm in Push up on me and sweat darling

23. South of the Border by Ed Sheeran, Camila Cabello and Cardi B

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next