Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Zwackerm's Tacky Favorite Songs List 
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Zwackerm's Tacky Favorite Songs List
"Can't Hold Us" is better than I remember. Definitely wouldn't be an all-timer for me, but nice contemporary pick.

"Big Girls Don't Cry (Personal)" is fine, not a bad song, but not noteworthy either I feel.

"Don't Go Breaking My Heart" seems quite the classic tube, just doesn't do it for me.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:13 am
Hold the door!

"When your legs don't work like they used to before and I can't sweep you off of your feet..."

33. Ed Sheeran “Thinking Out Loud” (2014)

This is probably Ed Sheeran's most overplayed song (until Shape of You came around, that is), but even despite that, the song remains romantic and magical. At one point I was convinced that this was going to be the first dance song at my wedding, until I overheard a bunch of other people planning the same song. But, really, this is the perfect first dance song, and really every one of Ed's songs could be a first dance wedding song (other than Shape of You, of course). I again can't hit the high notes in this one, but it doesn't stop me from trying. I'd love to sing this to a girl someday.

"I'm thinking out loud, maybe we found love right where we are."

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

Nice to see the Macklemore songs make top 50, the Heist is one of my favorite rap albums

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:08 pm
Hold the door!

"Put in them hours, I'ma make it harder. I'm sending pic after picture, I'ma get you fired"

32. Fifth Harmony feat. Ty Dolla Sign “Work (From Home)” (2016)

This was the most fun song to come out of last year. it's incredibly crass and not very subtle at all, but that's its appeal. Though I was a little shocked when I heard it at a Christian dance last year. Fifth Harmony all have beautiful voices, and the refrain sounds simple at first, but then builds with each time they sing it. They tried to repeat this success with this year's "Down" and failed miserably. Odds are, the group will never capture this lightning in a bottle again.

"Let my body do the work, work, work, work. Work, work, work. We can work from home, oh, oh, oh-oh"

Last edited by zwackerm on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:21 pm
Hold the door!

"Hello, it's me. I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet to go over everything."

31. Adele “Hello” (2015)

25 was a comedown from 21 in terms of hits, but this was the one song from the album that managed to be not only as good as that album, but better. The song took the world by storm, and is now so iconic, it changed the way we greeted each other for a few months. It's a truly great, sweeping ballad, and the emotion and power that Adele sings with is unparalleled. While Adele has been better before, this song gave us hope that she isn't done moving us yet.

"Hello from the other side. I must have called a thousand times. "

Last edited by zwackerm on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:26 pm
Hold the door!

"You look like a movie. You sound like a song. My God, this reminds me of when we were young"

30. Adele “When We Were Young” (2016)

While Hello was the only hit on par with her 21 songs, Hello was not the nest song on 25. That title belongs to When We Were Young. When We Were Young deserved to top the chart like all of her biggest hits, but for some reason (potentially lack of a music video, but that didn't stop Set Fire to the Rain), it did not. But I think this song despite having a few cliche lyrics about comparing her lover to songs and movies, is the most felt of all her songs. Even though Adele is technically still young, it really illustrates how fast time can fly and how even in your late 20's, you can have changed a whole lot.

"Let me photograph you in this light in case it is the last time that we night be exactly like we were before we realized..."

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:36 pm
Hold the door!

"Look at this stuff. Isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?"

29. The Little Mermaid “Part of Your World” (1989)

When I was little, The Little Mermaid was my favorite Disney movie, and it was mainly due to the fact that I was in love with Ariel and I wanted to marry her. But also this song, which I have known the words to as long as I can remember. I literally cannot remember a time where I did not know every lyric, that's how long I've been listening to nd loving this song. It just has the most gorgeous, inventive melody, so much that the tune is integrated into the score throughout the movie and is heard again at the end of the movie. It's a great character development song, and the viewer feels so hard for Ariel, even if what she wants is not necessarily the best and really is probably just due to hormones. I cannot believe that this song was almost excised (thanks again, Jeffrey Katzenberg)because kiddies were restless during it. While he did get his way with Aladdin, Ashman won out here and the result is a film that is infinitely better due to the inclusion of this absolute masterpiece.

"Betcha on land they understand, bet they don't reprimand their daughters. Bright young women sick of swimmin' ready to stand!"

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:38 pm
Hold the door!

29. The Little Mermaid "Part of Your World"
30. Adele "When We Were Young"
31. Adele "Hello"
32. Fifth Harmony feat. Ty Dolla Sign "Work (From Home)"
33. Ed Sheeran "Thinking Out Loud"
34. P!nk "So What"
35. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton "Can't Hold Us"
36. Fergie "Big Girls Don't Cry (Personal)"
37. Elton John and Kiki Dee "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"
38. Miley Cyrus “Wrecking Ball”
39. Kesha “Praying”
40. Lady Gaga “Poker Face”
41. Lorde “Team”
42. Meghan Trainor “Me Too”
43. Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj “Side to Side”
44. Ruth B “Lost Boy”
45. Eminem feat. Rihanna “Love the Way You Lie”
46. Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars “Uptown Funk”
47. Hozier “Take Me to Church”
48. Hamilton “The Room Where it Happens”
49. Lady Gaga “Bad Romance”
50. Adele “Someone Like You”

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm
Indiana Jones IV

zwackerm wrote:
While Hello was the only hit on par with her 21 songs, Hello was not the nest song on 25.

I don't even think "Hello" is the second best song on the album, I'd rate "All I Ask" above it as well.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:02 pm
Hold the door!

"Pictures of last night ended up online. I'm screwed! Oh well."

28. Katy Perry “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” (2011)

Here's a more controversial pick. I know a lot of people find Katy Perry bland, or annoying, or just plain don't like her, I'm going to admit that I fucking LOVE her. Her singles at least; I can't say I've listened to all the songs off of her albums. But I just really applaud how for at least One of the Boys and Teenage Dream, she managed to keep all of her songs catchy, upbeat and distinctive from one another. Last Friday Night doesn't sound much like E.T., Firework, Teenage Dream or California Gurls. It's a bit of its own monster, and sounds sort of like a much better Kesha song than Kesha would have ever been given to sing. It's damn catchy, and funny, I love the video, and the lyrics are among her better ones considering that's Katy's main weakness. The only part I could do without is the T.G.I.F. chant. But it's really just an enjoyable bubble gum pop tune that takes me back to middle school.

"Last Friday night, We went streaking in the park, Skinny dipping in the dark"

Last edited by zwackerm on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:33 pm
Hold the door!

"So if you care to find me, look to the western sky! As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!"

27. Wicked “Defying Gravity” (2003)

This song rocks! It's among my very favorite showtunes, and it's by far the best song in Wicked. Every section of the song just builds so perfectly on the last that by the end section you're out of breath. I've criticized Menzel's voice before, but at least on the official recording of this song, she KILLS it, and it probably remains her best performance. The stagecraft that accompanies the song is good too, but it's unnecessary. Sure its cool to see Elphaba hanging with her broom atop a stage covered in smoke, but none of that is really needed. This is the essential audition song, and it's really fun to belt out in the shower. As well as being a good song to sing when you're pissed off and need a pick me up. Just kicks all the ass.

"And nobody in all of Oz, no wizard that there is or was, is ever gonna bring me down!"

Last edited by zwackerm on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:43 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I prefer your honorable mentions to the actual list so far. In particular, like the Lorde choices, Mirrors (JT) and A Thousand Miles.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:45 pm
Hold the door!

"Right now, she's probably up singing some White-trash version of Shania karaoke."

26. Carrie Underwood “Before He Cheats” (2006)

Never met a person who didn't think this song was amazing. Even the people who hate country (like myself) know this song is just a showstopper. This song essentially functions as a revenge fantasy, and a very vivid and satisfying one at that. You don't even really need to key his car, carve his seats and smash his lights and tires, singing this song will get you feeling like you already have. This song cements Carrie Underwood as American Idol's most iconic contestant. Even though she's been one of the biggest names in country music for over 10 years now, this is her crossover hit she needed to truly be big.

"Oh, and he don't know... That I dug my key into the side Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive,"

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 pm
Keeping it Light

zwackerm wrote:
30. Adele "When We Were Young"

Great song, deservingly placed higher than "Hello" (which at #31 seems way too high to me, but anyway).

I guess, roughly 1 in every 7 songs I think, oh yeah, that was a great song that got lost in my recollections.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:34 pm
Indiana Jones IV

zwackerm wrote:
"Pictures of last night ended up online. I'm screwed! Oh well."

28. Katy Perry “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” (2011)

Here's a more controversial pick. I know a lot of people find Katy Perry bland, or annoying, or just plain don't like her, I'm going to admit that I fucking LOVE her.

I'm actually pretty okay with Katy Perry, and enjoy most of her debut album especially. Plenty of good pop tunes on there, and she got a bit darker/off the beaten path with the song content there. This song though? Eh, not so much.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:04 am
Keeping it Light

zwackerm wrote:
Fifth Harmony all have beautiful voices

So, who's the hottest according to you?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:14 am
now we know

I did not know them two minutes ago. The hottest is the one that left the group. Camila Cabello

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I think they're overrated in every way, but I'd have to say Cabello too, and just because she's saved by her attractive cheekbones.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:30 pm
Hold the door!

Cabello's not in the group anymore and she's flopping as a solo artist.

Agreed, she's the hottest.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:44 pm
Hold the door!

Sorry for the long wait! Been very busy the last couple days

"And he's long gone when he's next to me. And I realize the blame is on me"

25. Taylor Swift “I Knew You Were Trouble” (2012)

I liked Taylor Swift prior to this song, and REALLY liked her in songs like Love Story and You Belong With Me. Though her acoustic guitar country inspired music began to grow old. This song is Swift's first real experiment with pop music, and it's really very interesting and distinctive sounding. I remember the first time I heard this song, I had no idea it was Taylor and I was in utter shock when I found out it was her. It sounds dark and the chorus even to this day is instantly recognizable, and foreshadows what was to come with 1989.

"'Cause I knew you were trouble when you walked in. So shame on me now."

Last edited by zwackerm on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:20 am
Hold the door!

"Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed? Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need."

24. Bonnie Tyler “Holding Out for a Hero” (1984)

Yeah, any older songs on here are mainly because they were featured in my favorite childhood films or TV shows. This song I actually thought was from Shrek 2 until I found out that it was just a cover. But what a cover! I actually don't really like the original Bonnie Tyler version, but Saunders' version from the movie is just electric and is played over the most exciting finale in just about any modern animated film in my opinion. I don't want to judge the song based solely on the movie scene, and I won't. The song is (well I'm running out of adjectives with which to describe songs) energetic? And fun? Don't know how I'm going to write 23 more blurbs.

"'I'm holding out for a hero. I'm holding out for a hero till the end of the night."

Last edited by zwackerm on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 am
Hold the door!

"When I was six years old I broke my leg. I was running from my brother and his friends."

23. Ed Sheeran “Castle on the Hill” (2017)

This is my favorite song of the year so far, and it kills me that the Adele over Beyonce thing from last year is going to push Grammy voters to vote for Kendrick Lamar instead of Ed Sheeran because Ed Sheeran is amazing and rap is a disgrace to music that should be ineligible for charts or music awards. But anyway, this song is just sweeping and epic, and I really can imagine having the first dance at my wedding to this song. It tells a story and paints a picture. It makes you feel like all the best songs do. While there is one more Ed Sheeran song I do like better than this one, this song truly shows off exactly what Ed Sheeran is capale of and what he is best known for.

"'And I miss the way you make me feel. It's real. We watched the sun set over the castle on the hill."

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:34 am
Hold the door!

"Oh isn't this amazing? It's my favorite part because you'll see! Here's where she meets Prince Charming but she won't discover that it's him till chapter 3!"

22. Beauty and the Beast “Belle” (1991)

Be Our Guest and Beauty and the Beast are more iconic, but I do believe that Belle is the best song in Beauty and the Beast. I am a really big fan of Broadway and musical theater, and of the songs in Beauty and the Beast, Belle is the most traditional Broadway number. Including the reprise, which follows immediately after the original song, th song runs over five minutes, and introduces several important characters and plot lines that will be important throughout the rest of the film. I think it's just as catchy as "Be Our Guest" with a little more melodic complexity. The original song is great, but the reprise which serves as Belle's "I Want" song, is what really drives the number home. The segment where she runs up the hill and sings about adventure in the great wide somewhere is probably the most chill inducing moment in all of Disney's animated films. I really just love this song so much.

"'I want adventure in the great wide somewhere! I want it more than I can tell! "

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am
Hold the door!

"If I were a boy, even just for a day, I'd roll outta bed in the morning and throw on what I wanted and go."

21. Beyonce “If I Were a Boy” (2008)

The lyrics for this song are pretty sexist, but the song is such a powerful ballad that I don't even care. I don't really care about lyrics at all if the tune is good. And this is one of Beyonce's very best songs. I'm not a fan of her Lemonade album because it lack the catchy hooks and singableness that her older songs like this do. I'm sure that this song is incredibly relatable to girls who wish that they could see what it was like to be a man. While i believe she gets manhood completely wrong, it still makes for a great song.

"If I were a boy, I think I could understand how it feels to love a girl. I swear I’d be a better man."

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:47 am
Keeping it Light

zwackerm wrote:
24. Bonnie Tyler “Holding Out for a Hero” (1984)

Great choice, although I'd definitely much prefer the Bonnie Tyler version, which I got to know through Footloose.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next