Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Zwackerm's Tacky Favorite Songs List 
The Kramer

Post Re: Zwackerm's Tacky Favorite Songs List
Taylor and Carrie <3

I like Katy but would have several songs above LFN. Teenage Dream is her best song by far.

Castle on the Hill already? Well it is a good song.

I also support Shrek 2 :thumbsup:

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:12 pm
Hold the door!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I like Katy but would have several songs above LFN. Teenage Dream is her best song by far.

Spoiler: show
There are 4 more Katy songs in the top 20...

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:47 pm
Hold the door!

"But there's a side to you that I never knew, never knew, all the things you'd say, they were never true, never true."

20. Adele “Set Fire to the Rain” (2011)

I don't think this song is as well remembered as "Rolling in the Deep" or "Someone Like You", but it should be because it's Adele's biggest most epic sounding song. The build of the verses to the chorus here is unparalleled. And the lyrics while a bit cliched (set fire to the rain) are an emotionally affecting recollection of her being scorned by a past lover and her not taking it sitting down.

"But I set fire to the rain, watched it pour as I touched your face,"[/quote]

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:18 pm
Hold the door!

20. Adele "Set Fire to the Rain"
21. Beyonce "If I Were a Boy"
22. Beauty and the Beast "Belle"
23. Ed Sheeran "Castle On the Hill"
24. Bonnie Tyler "Holding Out for a Hero"
25. Taylor Swift "I Knew You Were Trouble"
26. Carrie Underwood "Before He Cheats"
27. Wicked "Defying Gravity"
28. Katy Perry "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
29. The Little Mermaid "Part of Your World"
30. Adele "When We Were Young"
31. Adele "Hello"
32. Fifth Harmony feat. Ty Dolla Sign "Work (From Home)"
33. Ed Sheeran "Thinking Out Loud"
34. P!nk "So What"
35. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton "Can't Hold Us"
36. Fergie "Big Girls Don't Cry (Personal)"
37. Elton John and Kiki Dee "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"
38. Miley Cyrus “Wrecking Ball”
39. Kesha “Praying”
40. Lady Gaga “Poker Face”
41. Lorde “Team”
42. Meghan Trainor “Me Too”
43. Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj “Side to Side”
44. Ruth B “Lost Boy”
45. Eminem feat. Rihanna “Love the Way You Lie”
46. Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars “Uptown Funk”
47. Hozier “Take Me to Church”
48. Hamilton “The Room Where it Happens”
49. Lady Gaga “Bad Romance”
50. Adele “Someone Like You"

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:20 pm
Hold the door!

"I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath, scared to rock the boat and make a mess."

19. Katy Perry “Roar” (2013)

Quite possibly Katy Perry's most divisive song, with about half of people finding it enjoyable and the other half finding it a piece of cliche ridden trash, I'm obviously in the first camp. I don't care that the lyrics are poor. This is a damn FUN empowering song. The video is probably Katy's best as well. This is probably her most fun to sing along to, especially the roa-oa-oa-oa-oa-oa-or parts. It's literally THE perfect example of a pop song by every definition. So yeah, hate it or love it, I love it.

"I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter. Dancing through the fire."

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:12 pm
Hold the door!

"You're from a whole 'nother world. A different dimension"

18. Katy Perry feat. Kanye West “E.T.” (2011)

This was at one point my favorite Katy Perry song. It wasn't as overplayed as some of her other songs, but a couple of her other (overplayed) songs I've judged to be superior since then. But this is certainly the most interesting, least common song out of her Teenage Dream singles. The beat and rhythm really do give it a, well, extraterrestrial feel. The use of autotune is artful and on par with the very best use of it in modern pop music. It's a shame that Perry sort of gradually played it safer after the release of this song until we eventually got to today's bland ass album Witness. While not her best song, E.T. is her most unusual.

"Boy, you're an alien. Your touch, so foreign. It's supernatural. Extraterrestrial."

Last edited by zwackerm on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:20 pm
Indiana Jones IV

zwackerm wrote:
"But there's a side to you that I never knew, never knew, all the things you'd say, they were never true, never true."

20. Adele “Set Fire to the Rain” (2011)

I don't think this song is as well remembered as "Rolling in the Deep" or "Someone Like You", but it should be because it's Adele's biggest most epic sounding song. The build of the verses to the chorus here is unparalleled. And the lyrics while a bit cliched (set fire to the rain) are an emotionally affecting recollection of her being scorned by a past lover and her not taking it sitting down.

"But I set fire to the rain, watched it pour as I touched your face,"
[/quote]

My third favourite Adele song. I feel like the performance from Royal Albert Hall doesn't do the song justice though; she was far from her vocal best at the time. The album version is where she really soars, especially towards the end of the song.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 pm
Indiana Jones IV

stuffp wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
24. Bonnie Tyler “Holding Out for a Hero” (1984)

Great choice, although I'd definitely much prefer the Bonnie Tyler version, which I got to know through Footloose.

I got to know the song during Saints Row 3, where it (and several other songs) are used to great effect. I didn't end up mentioning it as an honourable mention for my list, but it was close to making it.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 pm
Hold the door!

"There's a fire starting in my heart, reaching a fever pitch, and it's bringing me out the dark"

17. Adele “Rolling in the Deep” (2010)

This is indisputably Adele's best song, IMO. It's one of her more upbeat ones, but unlike "Send My Love" it manages to also be meaningful and soulful (and not annoying) at all. This is the song that made me fall in love with Adele as an artist and I've followed her closely ever since. It's just really fun to sing, and actually this is the first song I sang that led me to truly go out for choir and musicals and stuff like that. And it's a jam.

"We could have had it all, rolling in the deep. You had my heart inside of your hand and you played it to, the beat."

Last edited by zwackerm on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 am
Hold the door!

"I only wanna die alive, Never by the hands of a broken heart"

16. Ariana Grande feat. Zedd “Break Free” (2014)

Ariana Grande REALLY burst onto the scene in 2014 with the release of her second album "My Everything". She could really do no wrong and every song she released was amazing. This is one of her very best. It's a very dancey club friendly number featuring some very nice EDM by producer Zedd. It' not particularly deep but it's got a very infectious beat and sound to it, and it's probably Grande's most upbeat and enjoyable (if not best) song to date.

"This is the part when I break free. 'Cause I can't resist it no more"

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:25 am
Hold the door!

"Now you've been talking in your sleep. Oh, oh. Things you never say to me. Oh, oh. Tell me that you've had enough of our love, our love."

15. P!nk feat. Nate Ruess “Just Give Me A Reason” (2013)

I like P!nk's upbeat songs like So What and Blow Me, but she's released a lot of great ballads as well, and this one with f.u.n.'s Nate Ruess is her best song overall. It came out just as I was finishing my freshman year of high school, and my choir director was obsessed with this song, loving Nate's voice and telling us that P!nk had been in his choir. It's just a nice song without much production that show's off the two singers' voices perfectly.

"Just give me a reason, just a little bit's enough. Just a second - we're not broken, just bent.
And we can learn to love again."

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:33 am
Hold the door!

"And you'll never hear the wolf cry to the blue corn moon for whether we are white or copper skinned."

14. Pocahontas “Colors of the Wind” (1995)

Many cite Pocahontas as Disney's first disappointment of their Renaissance era, both financially and critically, and as the film that broke their hot streak that started with The Little Mermaid and ended with The Lion King. Even if you consider that to be true, it certainly isn't due to this song, which is the finest work that Alan Menken has ever done for Disney, and rightfully won him his fourth Oscar. Everything, from the melody, to the lyrics, to the animation, to the power of Judy Kuhn's voice, converges to create an otherworldly musical experience. The song cleverly compares and contrasts John Smith and Pocahontas, as she introduces him to the thrill of being one with nature, and urges him to learn from the Native Americans rather than leveling the forests and proceeding to do things his own way. Through metaphors such as painting with the wind, the voices of the mountain, and questions like how high does the sycamore grow, there is an urgency added to the song; how can John Smith settle Virginia without learning these things? The melody is masterfully intertwined throughout the film, particularly at the end of the film with the score piece "Farewell". As I said in my post about "If I Never Knew You" "Farewell" is the most beautiful piece of score Menken ever wrote and makes the ending of "Pocahontas" the best of the Renaissance and possibly the best in Disney's canon. While it may not have been an across the board success for the Mouse House, Pocahontas contains one of the best scores in Disney's canon, and this is its crowning achievement.

"You can own the earth and still, all you'll own is earth until you can paint with all the colors of the wind. "

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:40 am
Hold the door!

"It's like I've been awakened! Every rule I had you breakin'. It's the risk that I'm taking. I ain't never gonna shut you out!"

13. Beyonce “Halo” (2008)

Dang, Beyonce used to be so good! Now she's alright, but nothing since I Am...Sasha Fierce has measured up, especially not to this song, which truly ranks among her best. This song really does have everything you want in a ballad, and Beyonce's vocals are perfect. And the lyrics are very good and poetic and paint a picture. Good stuff.

"Everywhere I'm looking now, I'm surrounded by your embrace. Baby, I can see your halo. You know you're my saving grace"

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:52 am
Hold the door!

13. Beyonce "Halo"
14. Pocahontas "Colors of the Wind"
15. P!nk feat. Nate Ruess "Just Give Me a Reason"
16. Ariana Grande feat. Zedd "Break Free"
17. Adele "Rolling in the Deep"
18. Katy Perry feat. Kanye West "E.T."
19. Katy Perry "Roar"
20. Adele "Set Fire to the Rain"
21. Beyonce "If I Were a Boy"
22. Beauty and the Beast "Belle"
23. Ed Sheeran "Castle On the Hill"
24. Bonnie Tyler "Holding Out for a Hero"
25. Taylor Swift "I Knew You Were Trouble"
26. Carrie Underwood "Before He Cheats"
27. Wicked "Defying Gravity"
28. Katy Perry "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
29. The Little Mermaid "Part of Your World"
30. Adele "When We Were Young"
31. Adele "Hello"
32. Fifth Harmony feat. Ty Dolla Sign "Work (From Home)"
33. Ed Sheeran "Thinking Out Loud"
34. P!nk "So What"
35. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton "Can't Hold Us"
36. Fergie "Big Girls Don't Cry (Personal)"
37. Elton John and Kiki Dee "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"
38. Miley Cyrus “Wrecking Ball”
39. Kesha “Praying”
40. Lady Gaga “Poker Face”
41. Lorde “Team”
42. Meghan Trainor “Me Too”
43. Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj “Side to Side”
44. Ruth B “Lost Boy”
45. Eminem feat. Rihanna “Love the Way You Lie”
46. Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars “Uptown Funk”
47. Hozier “Take Me to Church”
48. Hamilton “The Room Where it Happens”
49. Lady Gaga “Bad Romance”
50. Adele “Someone Like You"[/quote]

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:55 am
Hold the door!

"Do you ever feel like a plastic bag, drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?"

12. Katy Perry “Firework” (2010)

Cheeseball lyrics aside, there is a reason that Firework has become Katy Perry's most iconic song and is still referenced so often in media 7 years later. It's a damn good song. Katy would try to make self empowerment anthems again, like Roar and Part of Me, but none of them would catch on quite like this one. The build to the chorus, like many other songs on this list is exhilarating, and Katy's belty, untrained sounding voice actually really fits this song. While she does have one song that ranks higher on this list, I'd call this her technical best song.

"Baby you're a firework. Come on show 'em what your worth!"

Last edited by zwackerm on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:42 pm
Hold the door!

"And the walls kept tumbling down in this city that we love. Great clouds rolling over the hills bringing darkness from above."

11. Bastille "Pompeii" (2013)

This isn't the type of song that typically ends up among my favorites, but alas it is. Bastille's only hit to date, this song describes the eruption of Mount Vesuvius as it destroys the ancient Greek city of Pompeii, but not explicitly. If the song was not titled Pompeii, odds are that it would not be clear that's what the song is about. But that's part of the beauty of it. The lyrics can also be interpreted as what it takes to rebuild after anything massively devastating. And it has a nice chant for a refrain; I'd love to hear an a Capella rendition of this song.

"And if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?"

Last edited by zwackerm on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 pm
Hold the door!

"We keep this love in a photograph. We made this memory for ourselves."

10. Ed Sheeran "Photograph" (2015)

The most recent song in my top 10, if I had to pick a song for my wedding, this would be it. This song makes me BAWL. It's so beautiful and meaningful, and I love the video that looks back on Ed's life. It really makes me look back on my own life with sentimental sweetness as well. I'd already liked "Thinking Out Loud", but this is the song that truly made me fall in love with Ed Sheeran as an artist. I eagerly await more songs like this from him.

"So you can keep me inside the pocket of your ripped jeans holdin' me closer 'til our eyes meet"

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:52 pm
Hold the door!

"Let's get down to business to defeat the huns! Did they send me daughters when I asked for sons?"

9. Mulan "I'll Make a Man Out Of You" (1998)

Oh, god. Here we are at number 9. While it may not be the most famous or popular Disney song, I do wholeheartedly believe it is the best damn song Disney has ever written. The songs in Mulan are fine for the most part, but when this one starts, holy shit hits the fan. This is the ultimate workout song, it's the only workout song you need. It's just so motivational builds absolutely perfectly. The most iconic part (many people think this song is called "Be a Man" because of it) is the refrain where Shang assimilates the soldiers to forces of nature like the river, a typhoon, a fire and the dark side of the moon with the soldiers chanting "Be a man!" in between. This part just hits my soul deeply for some reason, it's just so fucking kick ass. Like I want to go kill some huns after listening to it. The lyrics are funny too (boy was I a fool in school for cutting gym!). As I'm writing this final post, I've listened to it three times in a row and now I'm on my fourth listen. I could probably sit here and press the replay button for the rest of the night. I think if the rest of Mulan was the quality of this song, it could have not just grossed as much as Aladdin and the Lion King, but won Best Picture at the Oscars. I mean, the link to the song is above, and if you don't listen to it right now, you are doing yourself a disservice. Really, this may be one of my favorite songs across all genres, it's just so damn fantastic.

"Be a man! We must be swift as a coursing river! Be a man! With all the force of a great typhoon! Be a man! With all the strength of a raging fire! Mysterious as the dark side of the moon!"

Last edited by zwackerm on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:55 pm
Hold the door!

"And I need you now tonight. And I need you more than ever. Cause as long as you hold me tight we'll be holding on forever."

8. Bonnie Tyler "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (1983)

Yeah, I really only like old songs when they're heavily featured in other media that I like, and they're improved upon. While most of Glee's covers do not quite do the original justice, this cover blows the original away. The song has many parts and is very long and epic sounding, and Lea Michele's voice injects extra energy into the song that Tyler's original version lacks. This is a really great one for karaoke, and this song is really empowering for when I'm sad. It's really big and dramatic sounding and I love it.

"Once upon a time I was falling in love, but now I'm only falling apart. Nothing I can do; a total eclipse of the heart."[/quote]

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:02 pm
Devil's Advocate

I never liked Hello but enjoy the other Adele picks. Before He Cheats, I Need a Hero, Total Eclipse of the Heart and a lot of others on here are awesome

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:26 pm
Hold the door!

"And I am telling you I'm not going. 'Cause you're the best man I'll ever know. No, no there's no way I'll ever go."

7. Dreamgirls "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" (1982)

Far and away the best song in Dreamgirls and among the most iconic showtunes of all time, "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" is always a knockout, no matter how many times I hear it. Whether Jennifer Holliday or Hudson, it's among the most rousing numbers one can watch. You really feel for Effie as you watch her be replaced not only by Deena as lead vocalist because of her weight and white friendlier sound, but get kicked out of the group altogether and replaced, and the fact that she's carrying Curtis' child makes it all the more heartbreaking. Both ladies manage to make the big song sound powerful without ever sounding like they're screaming. Impressive.

"I'm stayin', I'm stayin'. And you, and you, and you, you're gonna love me."

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:47 am
Hold the door!

"Hey baby, even though I hate ya, I wanna love ya. (I want you) And even though I can't forgive ya, I really want to (I want you)."

6. Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea "Problem" (2014)

Ariana Grande's best song still to date, nothing she has released since has managed to capture the same energy and freshness that "Problem" managed when it was released a few years ago. Still her highest charting single (Ariana must be the biggest modern artist to have never hit number 1!) the song combines really quick verses with a soaring chorus that really sounds like its "in the clouds". And I don't hate Iggy Azalea's part in this unlike most people. I miss when pop music was this fun and energetic.

"Head in the clouds, got no weight on my shoulders. I should be wiser and realize that I've got one less problem without you."

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:54 am
The Kramer

Eh on Problem. Probably like the 9th best song on My Everything. Total Eclipse of the Heart starts off kinda corny, but everybody gets into when that hook drops.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am
Hold the door!

"Make me your Aphrodite. Make me your one and only. Don't make me your enemy."

5. Katy Perry feat. Juicy J "Dark Horse" (2013)

Katy Perry has dived off a cliff since this song in terms of quality. It's a little similar to E.T. when you listen to the verses, but then it has a really strong chorus that really gets you going. The lyrics aren't bad for Katy, even if they don't have much meaning, and reference Greek myth despite the fact the video is Egypt themed. this is one song I never, ever get tired of, and I don't think I ever will.

"So you wanna play with magic? Boy you should know what you're falling for. Baby do you dare to do this? Cuz I'm coming at you like a dark horse."

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:43 pm
Hold the door!

"When the sun shine, we shine together, told you I'll be here forever. Said I'll always be your friend. Took an oath, I'mma stick it out to the end"

6. Rihanna feat. Jay-Z "Umbrella" (2007)

Rihanna is still decent, but nothing she's released in the last 10 years has come close to the irresistability of this song's incredibly iconic hook. Years later, people still ask each other if they can stand under each others umbrella ella ella hey. Rihanna sound sultry and sexy and the song is just mad catchy, and deserves its spot as one of my top 5 songs of all time.

"You can stand under my umbrella, ella, ella, hey , hey, hey, under my umbrella, ella, ella, hey, hey, hey,hey "[/quote]

Last edited by zwackerm on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next