Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Zwackerm's Tacky Favorite Songs List 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Zwackerm's Tacky Favorite Songs List
And now it begins!

"I heard that you're settled down, that you found a girl and you're married now."

50. Adele "Someone Like You" (2011)

This song was SO crazy popular when I was in eighth grade. I probably would have ranked it much higher back then. Even though it's not like my FAVORITE song anymore, I still love it. It's really the song to sing when you are missing an old lover (not that I have any of those of course). The verses build up to the soaring chorus (that I was very disappointed she didn't hit the high note when I watched her live special). So yeah. Adele really can do no wrong and this is a highlight from one of my very favorite albums of all time.

"Never mind, I'll find someone like you. I wish nothing but the best for you"

Last edited by zwackerm on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:45 am
Hold the door!

"Rah rah ah-ah-ah! Ro mah ro-mah-mah! Gaga oh-la-la! Want your bad romance"

49. Lady Gaga "Bad Romance" (2009)

I love Lady Gaga. I don't think she's released a truly BAD song. You can say that she took a bit of a dive after her splashy debut, but even Joanne and Artpop have their highlights. Of course, Bad Romance is from her initial prime, and it's one of her very best and most iconic songs. The most memorable parts of the song are "oh" and nonsense syllables like "ra ra ah ah ah", which just tells you how great the anthemic melody is. When you listen to this song, you will want a bad romance as well. This is the song that truly cemented Lady Gaga as one of the greats of the 2000's.

"I want your love and I want your revenge. You and me could write a bad romance"

Last edited by zwackerm on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:54 am
Hold the door!

"Two Virginians and an immigrant walk into a room diametrically opposed, foes. They emerge with a compromise, having opened doors that were previously closed, bros." Aaron Burr

48. Hamilton "The Room Where It Happens" (2015)

I'm not a fan of rap or hip hop, so I was surprised to find just how much I loved the music from Hamilton when the cast recording was released. While I've still not seen the show, I've probably listened to the songs about 50 times each. Each one is enjoyable and unique in its own way, but "The Room Where It Happens" is the best song in the show. The song chronicles the Compromise of 1790, and discusses Burr's desire for power and to be in the center of the proceedings as history is being made. The song is mad catchy, and while I cannot belt the high notes, it has not stopped me from trying. The song melds hip hop and a more traditional Broadway showstopper flawlessly. And Leslie Odom's performance both vocally and in terms of acting, are totally deserving of that Tony win.

"I wanna be in the room where it happens, the room where it happens, I wanna be in the room where it happens, the room where it happens." Aaron Burr

Last edited by zwackerm on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 am
Indiana Jones IV

Adele and Lady Gaga. :thumbsup:

Enjoying the lyrical quotes too, nice touch.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:18 am
Devil's Advocate

Someone Like You is great and my favorite Adele. I was never on board with the people who said Bad Romance is Gaga's best compared to the earlier Fame era but it's good. Will listen to the Hamilton later

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:00 pm
Hold the door!

"My church offers no absolutes. She tells me "worship in the bedroom" The only heaven I'll be sent to is when I'm alone with you"

47. Hozier "Take Me to Church" (2013)

This is going to sound like an odd pick for a devout Christian like myself, but this song could literally just be "Fuck you God!" and I'd still think it was great. Though Hozier hasn't really had any hits since, this anti Catholic anthem is incredibly powerful and enough to make even the most fervent of believers question the church's view on homosexuality. While the metaphor is quite confusing at first, it really is quite the thought provoking song as to whether you should follow your faith in God or you should follow your current desires of the flesh.

"I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife"

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:14 pm
Hold the door!

"This hit, that ice cold, Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold."

46. Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars "Uptown Funk" (2014)

There's not really much to say about this song. It's pretty much just a fun dance song, and it succeeds at what it tries to do tremendously. This song has some of the best production of any mainstream single the last few years. The whole thing just feels big, and if you can resist getting up and dancing, you're stronger than me. It's not the most meaningful song on this list, but it deserves its spot.

"Cause Uptown funk gon’ give it to you! Saturday night and we in the spot! Don’t believe me, just watch (come on)!"

Last edited by zwackerm on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Hmmm, this could end up being my favourite of the lists. :funny:

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:02 pm
Hold the door!

"You ever love somebody so much you can barely breathe when you're with 'em?
You meet, and neither one of you even know what hit 'em!"

45. Eminem feat. Rihanna "Love the Way You Lie" (2010)

This is the latest addition to the list. I'd heard this song before, never really appreciating it until I heard it come up on Spotify just before I finished the list, and I really liked the lyrics. Being hurt and wanting to cry, but feeling unable to due to pride or a desire to appear dignified, is incredibly relatable. Eminem's part isn't as much my cup of tea, but his lyrics are good as well. The way he describes their abusive relationship is both horrifying and affecting. This song is really good when you need a good cry.

"Just gonna stand there and hear me cry, well, that's all right because I love the way you lie."

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:13 pm
Hold the door!

"Then one night, as I closed my eyes, I saw a shadow flying high. He came to me with the sweetest smile, told me he wanted to talk for awhile"

44. Ruth B "Lost Boy" (2010)

I've heard that some people don't like this song, and I guess it's a little sappy and the lyrics are entirely about Peter Pan for some reason. But that's the reason I love it so much. Peter Pan has had a long and troubled history on the big screen, with even the most beloved version (Disney's 1953 film) admittedly having problems. Each interpretation is never able to mesh the mysticism of Neverland successfully with the message of why kids must grow up. This song does though. Listening to it you truly feel as if you are being whisked away to the land that the song discusses. It's incredibly cheesy and saccharine, but it just gives me the feels and I can't say it doesn't accomplish everything it sets out to.

"I am a lost boy from Neverland, usually hanging out with Peter Pan"

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:21 pm
Hold the door!

"These friends keep talkin' way too much, say I should give you up. Can't hear them, no, cause I..."

43. Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj "Side to Side" (2016)

Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman album was a very good album, even if its hits weren't quite as successful as those from My Everything. This is my favorite song from the album. The drop is really good, and Ariana's voice is great as always. Nicki's part at the end is good too. This song doesn't really have much meaning other than "I'm sore after sex!", and it doesn't really need it. It's just a jam.

"I've been here all night, I've been here all day. And boy, got me walkin' side to side"

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:29 pm
Hold the door!

"I thank God every day that I woke up feelin' this way."

42. Meghan Trainor "Me Too" (2016)

I've never understood the hate for Meghan Trainor. I don't believe her lyrics are "anti-feminist" or anything. I think she just tries to write happy upbeat songs to empower women that unfortunately have the opposite effect with some. Many have claimed that the song Me Too is one of her worst, with her lyrics being conceited and bragging about how great she is. That's a load of bullshit. Obviously she wants every woman to put themselves in her shoes when they sing this song and feel this way about themselves. But of course, since All About That Bass pissed off some feminists, people will find some way to compalin about all of her songs. Doesn't change the fact that her songs, especially this one, are enjoyable and catchy as hell, and shouldn't be offending anyone but morons.

"If I was you, I'd wanna be me, too, I'd wanna be me, too"

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:38 pm
Hold the door!

"Look upon Your Greatness and she'll send the call out, send the call out."

41. Lorde "Team" (2013)

Of Lorde's two big hits (sadly low number considering how much she rocks), Team is my favorite more than Royals. It's an odd song that manages to sound both dark and uplifting at the same time. It speaks of friendship and her loyalty to her homeland of New Zealand, and it's really just a beautiful transporting song. The music video is pretty darn cool too with its Eastern influences.

"We live in cities you'll never see onscreen. Not very pretty, but we sure know how to run things"[/quote]

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:49 pm
The Kramer

The amount of videos on page 1 makes my phone wanna kill itself so can't comment too much on em.

Page 2 is off to a good start though. "Bad Romance" is Gagas best song. "Team" might be Lorde's, though at the moment I'd go "Tennis Court". "Someone Like You" also great though obviously Adele's best is Rolling. Love seeing Eminem on here too.

Yuck on Uptown Funk and Nicki Minaj though. :P

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:31 pm
now we know

For me these song choices just mean that you're not yet ready to do a top anything. :P

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Love the Way You Lie - Good, one of Rihanna's best features and I'm a fan of that Eminem album

Lost Boy - Heard it around but never knew who sung it, solid song.

Side to Side - Probably catchiest Ariana Grande song

Me Too - Solid pop song with a non typical chorus structure that works unlike some people's attempt (*cough* Taylor)

Team - one of Lorde's better songs

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:41 pm
Hold the door!

"I wanna hold 'em like they do in Texas, please"

40. Lady Gaga "Poker Face" (2008)

Lady Gaga did unfortunately peak early with this song. Apparently it's about bisexuality and Gaga pretending to enjoy sex with a man while she secretly desires a woman. Regardless of that, it's really just a fun bop of a song, and the p-p-p poker face refrain is insanely catchy. The rest of the song is good too, and I also enjoy the slower version they did on Glee.

"Can't read my, can't read my, no he can't read my poker face"

Last edited by zwackerm on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:07 pm
Hold the door!

"Cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell, I had to learn how to fight for myself."

39. Kesha "Praying" (2017)

This song came pretty much out of nowhere this year to be one of the year's best. Kesha was an almost forgotten artist, with her highly successful Animal not really standing the test of time, and her Warrior album just about flopping. After a several year long legal battle with her producer, she returned to bring us this, most likely the best song she's ever had. Her voice is surprisingly strong after the auto tune riddled tracks that made her famous, and the lyrics very well communicate how she feels about the long, hard endeavor she went through. Invoking religious imagery also helps to make the song feel powerful. Really just an epic song and I hope it catches more wind on the charts.

"I hope you find your peace, falling on your knees praying."

Last edited by zwackerm on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:14 pm
Hold the door!

"I can’t live a lie, running for my life, I will always want you."

38. Miley Cyrus "Wrecking Ball" (2013)

By far Miley's best song. Video controversy aside, this is an incredibly strong and powerful ballad performed wonderfully by Cyrus. Incredibly singable, and made all the more memorable by the controversy that accompanied its release, for the most part, it made people truly accept Miley as the devil may care artist it was clear she was longing to be after "We Can't Stop" and "Can't Be Tamed". Hannah Montana be damned.

"I came in like a wrecking ball, I never hit so hard in love"

Last edited by zwackerm on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:19 pm
Hold the door!

38. Miley Cyrus “Wrecking Ball”
39. Kesha “Praying”
40. Lady Gaga “Poker Face”
41. Lorde “Team”
42. Meghan Trainor “Me Too”
43. Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj “Side to Side”
44. Ruth B “Lost Boy”
45. Eminem feat. Rihanna “Love the Way You Lie”
46. Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars “Uptown Funk”
47. Hozier “Take Me to Church”
48. Hamilton “The Room Where it Happens”
49. Lady Gaga “Bad Romance”
50. Adele “Someone Like You”

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:23 pm
Hold the door!

"Ooh ooh, nobody knows it. Right from the start, I gave you my heart"

37. Elton John and Kiki Dee "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" (1976)

The first of a few older songs on my list, this song was first introduced to me by the film Ella Enchanted. I really like how upbeat and happy this song is. It's a perfect duet and incredibly catchy. You never feel for a second that either is going to break the other's heart, even if they "get restless". Maybe it's just the power of this song. But yeah.

"So don't go breaking my heart! I won't go breaking your heart."

Last edited by zwackerm on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:19 pm
Hold the door!

"It's personal. Myself and I... we've got some straightenin' out to do."

36. Fergie "Big Girls Don't Cry (Personal)" (2007)

I'm a big fan of the Black Eyed Peas and Fergie, and I really enjoy her rap stuff. But this is her only song that managed to rank on this list. The verses and the refrain don't really match, and that really helps to illustrate just how conflicted she is about divorcing the man in the song. The refrain is incredibly memorable, I remembered it from my youth but did not know the title or the artist until a while ago. And Fergie shows her true powerful voice on this song away from the trashy (but usually enjoyable rap she does on songs like Fergalicious and My Humps. It's a shame that we'll probably never have another hit like this from her again considering her new album appears to be essentially DOA.

"It's time to be a big girl now. And big girls don't cry,"

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

I really enjoy Don't Go Breaking My Heart. Wrecking Ball and Big Girls Don't Cry are both good pop ballads. I wish Fergie was still relevant

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:48 am
Hold the door!

"Can we go back? This is the moment. Tonight is the night, we'll fight 'til it's over"

35. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton "Can't Hold Us" (2013)

Rap isn't one of my favorite genres, but Macklemore's two big hits are incredibly enjoyable due to their inclusion of incredibly catchy melodic sections. While I enjoy Thrift Shop, Can't Hold Us just gets me going. The rap sections are good as well, even if I generally am thinking "let's get to the chorus!" during them. So yeah, this is just a really good dance party song without much meaning, but it's incredibly effective and I love it.

"So we put our hands up, like the ceiling can't hold us"

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:55 am
Hold the door!

"Na na na na na na na, I wanna start a fight!"

34. P!nk "So What" (2008)

This is P!nk's best "fun" song (though there is a ballad of hers I like better). This was her first number 1 hit, and it's easy to see why. This is probably the catchiest song so far on this list, and its lyrics are so easy to pick up, you can sing along by the second time she sings the refrain. It's about her divorcing her husband, but it's an upbeat song that really can make you feel good when you're otherwise feeling down. Love this one.

"So, so what? I'm still a rock star! I got my rock moves, and I don't need you!"[/quote]

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next