Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 the lesser evil has Fifty Favourite Songs too! 
now we know

Post Re: the lesser evil has Fifty Favourite Songs too!
Always found her a little manly and weird. I mean, she could give me a blowy any time, but there's no guarantee of becoming erect. ;)

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:51 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Heart makes great power ballads. Love Alone.

Hozier is a doozer for me. Florence has great voice and her first album showed real promise with some great songs on it, but with every new album she just disappoints me more and more. Shake It Off is rather forgettable and uses the usual Florence formula for the song.

I always preferred Janet to Michael. Michael is a bit vanilla and too safe compared to what she did with her music in the 80's and 90's. And I don't like Earth Song that much. Hopefully he shows up again because that's really not great track to represent him.

I agree on My Immortal album version being much better than whatever they tried to do with the single one to make the song more mainstream/radio friendly.

I never got into Amy much and I don't think I ever will. Was she a good singer? Yes. Great one? No. Did she have good album(s)? Maybe. I always felt like the hype around her was much bigger than what she actually produced.

I'm actually surprised to see Kelly popping up on a few lists. I like Kelly a lot so I'm glad to see her.

Sorry but putting BEP in front of Madonna (and Vogue at that) is just wrong. There's just no excuse for this. BEP need to go into oblivion as soon as possible. One of the worst popular groups in recent music history.

Kacey who?

I'm still waiting for Muse to deliver that great album they have in themselves. I know it's there. I will always stan for Absolution, but I need that master thing they were quite close to achieving a few times. Uprising is a good pick!

I recently played The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill and forgot how great of an album it is. I actually kind of like the fact she made a R&B masterpiece, grabbed all them awards and basically retired. From what I've heard she has actually been a hot mess ever since, so maybe it's better she doesn't make new music.

Also I'm not a big fan of Mariah, but I'm grateful she covered Without You just for the Ken Lee thing. That one is hilarious.

I've already voiced my opinion on Pure Shores. But surprises me (and pleases also) to see it again.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

the lesser evil wrote:
Algren wrote:
Nelly Furtado, lol. Is she still alive?

According to the internet, yes. She even released an album this year.

And it actually wasn't a bad album at all.

the lesser evil wrote:
11. "Say it Right" by Nelly Furtado

Nelly Furtado. :wub2: I sort of lost track of what she's been doing since Loose, but still remember the songs from that album (and several from Woah, Nelly! and Folklore) very fondly. "Say It Right" is my personal favourite of hers, though. It's just so... smooth and catchy.

My personal favorite would be Try. Say It Right is also really good.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:58 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

_axiom wrote:
I always preferred Janet to Michael. Michael is a bit vanilla and too safe compared to what she did with her music in the 80's and 90's. And I don't like Earth Song that much. Hopefully he shows up again because that's really not great track to represent him.

Excuse you, it's an amazing track to represent him. :P Janet was on the list initially, with the (IMO) highly underrated "If", but like so many other songs I love it didn't make it in the end. This was Michael's only entry in my list. There COULD have been more, like I said before everything but like, the top 10 (or even just the top 5) is SO close together that I could just toss them in a barrel, give it a good shake and then pick them out at random and still get a list I'd be mostly satisfied with.

_axiom wrote:
I never got into Amy much and I don't think I ever will. Was she a good singer? Yes. Great one? No. Did she have good album(s)? Maybe. I always felt like the hype around her was much bigger than what she actually produced.

I actually don't think she was as good as she was made out to be, but then I feel that way about a lot of singers who get all of the praise. I LOVE Adele but even I don't think she's as good as you'd think she is from her sales and awards.

_axiom wrote:
Sorry but putting BEP in front of Madonna (and Vogue at that) is just wrong. There's just no excuse for this. BEP need to go into oblivion as soon as possible. One of the worst popular groups in recent music history.

But... so damn catchy.

_axiom wrote:
Kacey who?

Musgraves, creator of some excellent country songs.

_axiom wrote:
I recently played The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill and forgot how great of an album it is. I actually kind of like the fact she made a R&B masterpiece, grabbed all them awards and basically retired. From what I've heard she has actually been a hot mess ever since, so maybe it's better she doesn't make new music.

You might be right. She's apparently not that great at showing up for her own concerts, but that doesn't necessarily mean she wouldn't be able to create another great album. I'd like to see her give it a shot, at least.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:04 am
The Wall

the lesser evil wrote:
Janet was on the list initially, with the (IMO) highly underrated "If", but like so many other songs I love it didn't make it in the end.

I'll put If at #16 then. Good pick!

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:13 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I feel like I'm powering through this too quickly, but whatever here's another.

10. "Confide in Me" by Kylie Minogue

Kylie's got so many damn good dance songs, but it's this one (which isn't very dance-y at all) that I consider to be her finest moment. The intro with the piano and violin that lasts for fifty seconds before the main hook kicks in could last four minutes and I'd still be there for all of it, and when the main hook kicks in I'm just... chills. I know it sounds dumb, but this song just hits me in all the right places. Kylie's lilting voice is really just the cherry on top of it all, but what a damn fine cherry it is too.

Can't go mentioning Kylie without some honourable Kylie mentions.

In Your Eyes - my favourite track off of Fever

Can't Get You Out Of My Head - which, upon listening, I fittingly cannot get out of my head.

Red Blooded Woman - Easily the best song on Body Language

Slow - honestly just here for the hot men in swimwear.

Spinning Around - The song that kicked off what I'd call Kylie's golden age, a decade of dance pop excellence.

Also including this so people can look at Kylie's bum in hotpants.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:24 am
The Wall

Confide In Me is IMHO one of the finest moments in pop music. So yes, Kylie's finest moment also. Brilliant pick for TOP 10. Hopefully you don't follow it badly like another certain song on the list. :funny:

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:32 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

And Hurts made a good cover of the song. Unfortunately that's the last good thing they did after that promising debut album. Theo's voice really suits the song.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:37 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

9. "Boom Boom Pow" by the Black Eyed-- no, not really. :P

9. "Zombie" by the Cranberries

What's in your heeeeeead, in your heeeeeead? It's this song, and it stays there for quite some time whenever I hear it. To me this is an iconic song from the mid 90s, with both the music and Dolores' vocals really striking a chord with me-e-e-oh.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:44 am
Indiana Jones IV

_axiom wrote:
And Hurts made a good cover of the song. Unfortunately that's the last good thing they did after that promising debut album. Theo's voice really suits the song.

That's a pretty cool version of the song. I mean, the production misses what makes the original so good, and the vocal approach is very different from what Kylie did (and not as good) but it's not a bad cover. Better to make something your own than simply parrot what someone else did.

Kylie's own version from the Abbey Road Sessions is a pretty good twist on the original too, though I do miss the strings.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:50 am
The Wall

the lesser evil wrote:
That's a pretty cool version of the song. I mean, the production misses what makes the original so good, and the vocal approach is very different from what Kylie did (and not as good) but it's not a bad cover. Better to make something your own than simply parrot what someone else did.

Well in the context of the type of band they are (were) and the sound they had with Happiness back then it definitely makes sense why they made CIM sound like what they did. Even Kylie loved their version and sang with them once during a show :)

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:07 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Nice to see Heart and Evanescence.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

8. "Makin' Me Look Good Again" by Drake White

The second country song on my list, though it feels a lot more bluesy than country. Drake White is an artist I only discovered this year, but damn do I ever love his music. I had about half his debut album up for consideration, but this one's my favourite of his by a mile. The powerful, bluesy vocal full of gravel and grit really works wonders for me.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:08 pm
Indiana Jones IV

7. "Trick Me" by Kelis

Kelis is probably best known for "Milkshake", but this song is so much better than that one. Like Kelis herself, it's grossly underrated; between the infectious beat and Kelis' husky vocal, it's such an excellent pop/RnB song. Even if the milkshake is what brings all the boys to the yard, this is why they'd stay.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:21 pm
Indiana Jones IV

6. "To The Moon and Back" by Savage Garden

This song could just be the first minute or so and I'd still put it high on my list. The moment the guitar kicks in for realsies just gets me everytime. It was one of the band's lesser hits, but to me that just shows people are objectively wrong. >.> I like some of their other songs alright, but this one stands far above it. It's a near perfect pop/rock blend to me, and my second favourite song of the 90s.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:33 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's my favorite Savage Garden song as well.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

5. "Better Off Alone" by DJ Jurgen

This was such a huge song for me in '99, and has remained so ever since. It's a timeless tune, an absolute classic that I'll never ever grow tired of. I could just loop this for an hour and enjoy every minute of it. It would have been my favourite trance song ever, except there was another one that came out a year later that I enjoyed even more. Still, second best isn't too shabby in this case.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:28 am
Indiana Jones IV

4. "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele

Confession time: I think "Someone Like You" is greatly overrated. It's a good song, but I feel the song itself doesn't measure up to Adele's performance of it at the BRIT awards. This, though? I feel like it doesn't generally get enough credit from people for how good of a song it is, both when it comes to Adele's vocal performance and its production. The bass strum that it kicks off with and the breakdown in the middle are especially good, and the backup singers add such a greatly enjoyable dynamic with Adele's powerhouse vocals. Another one of those songs I can just hit repeat on and enjoy it for a good while.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:37 am
now we know

"Confide In Me" is a great song. Sounds like a fucking Bond song! Didn't realise it was Kylie. Thought I heard that tune before/after by someone else.

"In Your Eyes" is a fantastic dance tune. As was most of Kylie's releases after/including "Spinning Around".

Savage Garden are (or were :( ) excellent. Their first album obviously had all classics, but their second also had some greats. "To the Moon and Back" is one of the best, but there are so many on that first album.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:43 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Adele was good. "Rolling in the Deep", another one from that album, and her Spectre song are the only ones I know of hers, and I like them.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:44 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Haha, "Better Off Alone". What a tune. Reminds me of other such tacky pop dance tunes like Benny Benassi's "Satisfaction". Fun songs.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:46 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Yeah, "Zombie" is an awesome song. Great pick. I find a lot of people would pick "Dreams" as their favourite Cranberries song. Glad you didn't. Though both of them are awesome. Actually, I would be one of those that picks "Dreams".

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:51 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
"Confide In Me" is a great song. Sounds like a fucking Bond song! Didn't realise it was Kylie. Thought I heard that tune before/after by someone else.

It DOES sound like a Bond theme, doesn't it? I believe it was a pretty decent hit for Kylie; over here it stalled at like, 38 and so no one but the coworker I subject to my music choices seems to know it. "Spinning Around" started her best era, but "Confide In Me" laid the groundwork, it was the first song of hers to really veer from the straight up pop tunes she'd done before.

Algren wrote:
"In Your Eyes" is a fantastic dance tune. As was most of Kylie's releases after/including "Spinning Around".

Yeah, I would have included more songs from that period, but I didn't want to go completely nuts with the videos. :funny:

Algren wrote:
Savage Garden are (or were :( ) excellent. Their first album obviously had all classics, but their second also had some greats. "To the Moon and Back" is one of the best, but there are so many on that first album.

I really enjoyed this one off of their second album too:

The lead singer has been releasing music ever since the band broke up, but I haven't given any of it a listen. I'm pretty sure the other guy played too big of a part in what made me enjoy their music, so I'd just end up disappointed.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:03 am
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
Adele was good. "Rolling in the Deep", another one from that album, and her Spectre song are the only ones I know of hers, and I like them.

I'm guessing it's either one of these?

Though I'd be surprised if you didn't know these as well:

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:07 am
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
Haha, "Better Off Alone". What a tune. Reminds me of other such tacky pop dance tunes like Benny Benassi's "Satisfaction". Fun songs.

Tacky. :whaa: I get what you mean though... used to be that there was a lot more "throwaway" stuff like this. Just a random DJ who appeared out of nowhere, had a big hit and then disappeared again. DJ Jurgen aside, I'd probably stall when asked to name a second song by most of the dance acts from that time, and that's fine.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next