Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 the lesser evil has Fifty Favourite Songs too! 
Keeping it Light

Post Re: the lesser evil has Fifty Favourite Songs too!
I actually liked the Spice Girls music reasonably well when it came out, but more so afterwards and still now. And the Backstreet Boys at the same time. But not a fan of neither, I can appreciate their tunes still now anyway.
And the debate about the hottest spice girl, I preferred Mel B. by lack of better.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:03 am
The Wall

Algren wrote:
Actually Kylie had a great streak from "Spinning Around" for about 5-6 years. Some great dancey hits, then Madonna copied and produced gold with Confessions on a Dancefloor.

I wouldn't agree on Madonna lifting Kylie for COAD, but Impossible Princess is most definitely an obvious early blueprint for the Ray of Light/Music albums Madonna did.

the lesser evil wrote:
I love me some Kylie. Light Years, Fever and Body Language are some pretty great albums with some outstanding songs.

I prefer Fever the most out of that bunch. Both Light Years and Body Language are not that good outside of the singles. But X and Aphrodite are FULL of great electro dance pop songs. X is a bit badly (over)produced but Aphrodite is actually a good pop album as a body of work. Her last album was pure shit though. Don't know what happened there. Not a single good song on it.

My favorite Kylie song would probably be Confide In Me.

If you're interested check out a couple of her tours also. She's not the best vocalist but she sings live each and every note and doesn't fake anything. And she always puts a great show on stage. And her tours are fairly well filmed too.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I might have to go on a Kylie Spotify binge soon.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:34 am
now we know

_axiom wrote:
I wouldn't agree

Well there's a surprise.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

stuffp wrote:
I actually liked the Spice Girls music reasonably well when it came out, but more so afterwards and still now. And the Backstreet Boys at the same time. But not a fan of neither, I can appreciate their tunes still now anyway.
And the debate about the hottest spice girl, I preferred Mel B. by lack of better.

Your #2 was All Saints, I am not surprised that you liked the Spice Girls music well enough too. ;)

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:56 am
The Wall

Algren wrote:
_axiom wrote:
I wouldn't agree

Well there's a surprise.

There's no real point in arguing with you, but considering your limited range in Top 50 songs and what you posts as ""new" discoveries" it doesn't surprise me you would make a superficial connection like that. The reasons for being and influences on COADF are easily found online, so if you're ever interested to find out more it won't be hard to find.

Madonna did "borrow" from Kylie quite a few times in their respective careers (not necessarily music wise, but tour staging/performances and some image steals) but COADF wasn't one of those times.

Spoiler: show

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I was going to do five a day after getting to the top 30, but clearly I'm not patient enough.

25. "Alone" by Heart

Love me some power ballads, and Heart churned them out with the best of them. This one's my personal favourite of theirs (though I also really love "Barracuda"), helped at least a little bit by Carrie Underwood's killer version of it during her season of Idol.

As an aside, the video preview sort of makes them look like angry drag queens and it's been cracking me up.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 pm
Indiana Jones IV

24. "Take Me To Church" by Hozier

According to my iPod this is my favourite song of all time considering how often it's been played, but that's just because it's been on several playlists. Still, I REALLY enjoy this song. The vocal and arrangement just bring the sort of drama that I can appreciate. For me it's one of the best songs in recent years and (unless I'm just plain old mistaken) the second most recent one on my list.

The video though... leaves me feeling uncomfortable.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 pm
Indiana Jones IV

23. "Shake it Out" by Florence + The Machine

Florence Welch sure knows how to deliver a vocal. It's no wonder her (I mean, I guess technically it's a band but let's be real here, Florence is basically it) first album was called "Lungs". It's this song from her second album that I like best though, between Florence's powerhouse performance and a production to match.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:22 pm
Indiana Jones IV

22. "Earth Song" by Michael Jackson

I don't feel like I have to elaborate much here. :P Slow buildup, epic finish. My favourite Michael Jackson song by a good distance, though I considered several of his songs for this list, most notably the (in my opinion) vastly underrated "Give In To Me".

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:24 pm
Indiana Jones IV

21. "My Immortal" by Evanescence

Spare me your drums and guitars, single version, it's the album version that's just strings and a piano that I enjoy the most. I guess it's maybe sort of morbid but I feel like this would make for an excellent funeral song. >.> My mum had hers selected long before she died, so hey I might as well. People had BETTER be crying, but I guess I won't know unless I fake my own death and have a rehearsal funeral.

ANYWAY.

That's just the top 20 left!

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:33 pm
now we know

_axiom wrote:
Algren wrote:
_axiom wrote:
I wouldn't agree

Well there's a surprise.

There's no real point in arguing with you

Yeah, anyone can be an intellectual while they check wikipedia for every fact. Never in your life have you ever not known something. That doesn't mean you're a genius. It just means you're a fake intellectual that checks wikipedia before every single post. That's why there's no point coercing with you, because there is no value in talking to smart asses that hide behind the Internet.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

the lesser evil wrote:
22. "Earth Song" by Michael Jackson

Fantastic song. One of Michael's best.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Damn straight it is.

20. "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse

Still feels like such a waste of talent that Winehouse died as young as she did. Another artist for whom there were several songs in contention, but in the end only my favourite of hers made it.

Special shout out to Valerie tho:

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:03 am
Indiana Jones IV

19. "Because of You" by Kelly Clarkson

The original American Idol and one of pop music's finest voices on what I feel is her best song. It's not the catchy pop smash that "Since U Been Gone" was, but it does a LOT more to put that amazing voice of hers front and central.

If I were to include anything she did on Idol though...

Kelly is a treasure.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:11 am
Indiana Jones IV

This is apparently where ballads live.

18. "Without You" by Mariah Carey

This was one of the main slow dance songs when I was a teenager, and my fondness of this song is closely tied to that. You know, that and my great appreciation for big voiced divas that this list really doesn't reflect too well (I'd do a diva top 50 but-- :funny: ). Like stuffp on "Pure Shores", I remember dancing with a pretty girl to this song. Plot twist: I turned out gay. Still, this song comes with very fond memories.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:20 am
Indiana Jones IV

17. "Vogue" by Madonna

There's SO many good Madonna songs, I'm almost embarrassed to say how many were on my initial list that didn't end up making it. This one's always been my favourite of hers though, such a good tune. This is what Lady Gaga wanted to be and never quite managed.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:39 am
Indiana Jones IV

16. "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas

The lyrics on this are SO bad. I've been listening to this song regularly while working on/posting my top 50 and Jesus, so terrible. The song is so fucking catchy though, and GUARANTEED to get a party going. It's as high as it is on my list almost completely because of fond memories spent mostly drunk jumping around and singing along to this song at a wherever with my friends. Bar/home/tent/club, really pick any of those and I've been there, this song came on and got the entire place on their feet.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:43 am
Indiana Jones IV

15. "Follow Your Arrow" by Kacey Musgraves

Plot twist: I really enjoy me some country music. My initial sprawling list of songs had several classics on it, but in the end only two newer songs ended up making it (so spoiler alert, there's another one coming later). I love Kacey Musgraves and how very not traditionally country her lyrics are while the instrumentation very much is. She's got a kind of sass and cleverness to her lyrics that remind me of Dolly Parton, whose songs I also typically enjoy very much ("Here You Come Again" was on the top 50 for the longest time before slipping off).

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:00 am
Indiana Jones IV

14. "Uprising" by Muse

Dat bass line. The single/radio version cuts too much of the song, so no me gusta. Muse has a lot of songs I enjoy when I hear them, then immediately forget the title of again not long after I heard it. Like, right now the only song of theirs that immediately comes to mind aside from this one is "Madness". This might be a problem on my end though. :P "Uprising" is a different story though, the instrumentation alone makes it instantly memorable for me, and Bellamy's vocals only add to that.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:10 am
Indiana Jones IV

13. "Ex-Factor" by Lauryn Hill

It's been 19 fucking years since your last album, Lauryn. Please get your shit together and start putting out songs like this again. I mean, everyone should just do what they want, but it feels like such a freaking waste of talent.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:14 am
Indiana Jones IV

12. "Pure Shores" by All Saints

This was originally at #31 on my list, but when I started doing the little write-up for it while listening to the song I got REALLY passionate about everything from the vocals to how much I love William Orbit's production, so I had to put it higher. And that's without dancing with the prettiest girl in school to this song. It's just such a good song that keeps it smooth and steady for the verses, then amps it up over the chorus and just goes for it near the end.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:22 am
Indiana Jones IV

11. "Say it Right" by Nelly Furtado

Nelly Furtado. :wub2: I sort of lost track of what she's been doing since Loose, but still remember the songs from that album (and several from Woah, Nelly! and Folklore) very fondly. "Say It Right" is my personal favourite of hers, though. It's just so... smooth and catchy.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 am
now we know

Nelly Furtado, lol. Is she still alive?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:42 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
Nelly Furtado, lol. Is she still alive?

According to the internet, yes. She even released an album this year.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next