Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 the lesser evil has Fifty Favourite Songs too! 
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: the lesser evil has Fifty Favourite Songs too!
_axiom wrote:
the lesser evil wrote:
Guess I'll just sneak in another entry every so often at work. >.>

35. "Push The Button" by the Sugababes

This group was a hot mess, switching members almost as often as you'd switch underpants. The first two incarnations turned out some damn fine pop songs though, and several of them made my original list. "Hole in the Head" was in the top 50 originally but got pushed out as more and more "Oh yeah, that one" songs crept in front of it. This one though? This one definitely needed to be here though. It's got such a damn catchy beat and melody, making for a damn near perfect pop song. I wish these ladies could get their heads out of their asses and reconcile, but that's probably not going to happen.

Yes Sugababes really have great tunes. One of the best showcases of pop brilliance is taking the music fromTubeway Army's Are Friends Electric? and pairing it with the lyrics from Adina Howard's Freak Like Me. That's one epic pop song.

I actually liked them up until the very last incarnation (the one with Jade Ewen). Catfights and Spotlight was a nice listen. Very retro album and very uncharacteristic for them which explains why it (undeservedly IMHO) flopped. Lyrics from Every Heart Broken are crazy funny (https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/sugabab ... roken.html) and there are other nice songs on the album.

But the original lineup did get together for a new band MKS and they released one song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQh-TTeUWs) which I think is awesome (it might be too heavy on the drum beat machine for you though :P but their vocals are slaying) and for some reason the album never happened. The demo tracks from the sessions did leak at the beginning of this year I think and there are some really awesome songs in there. Rumor is that Keisha wanted to wait for the Sugababes name rights to revert back to her. Apparently they did, but there's still no new info about this. I would love to see the original lineup back together.

Also check out Siobhan's solo albums. Her second album Ghosts is one of the most underrated albums in pop history. Amazing electropop album. If it was released by Britney or Rihanna back in 2007 it would be heralded as pop masterpiece and would probably sell a shitload. Unfortunately the album ended up being pretty obscure even in her native UK market.

I appreciate the incredible insight you have into these British girl groups, _axium. :funny: I'll definitely check out MKS. I don't dislike the third incarnation, it was just tough to follow up the second one with Mutya/Keisha/Heidi and their streak of over a dozen good to great pop songs.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:37 am
Indiana Jones IV

Another one while I finish pushing sandwiches into my face...

34. "In and Out of Love" by Armin van Buuren featuring Sharon den Adel

Original Mix:

Radio version:

Shack, this one has lyrics!

Trance music by the always excellent Armin van Buuren, Sharon den Adel's vocals... this was a no-brainer for my list early on. Even with Armin having such a vast catalogue of great songs, this one stands out to me. Give me some solid vocals and a great melody and I'm in.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:38 am
Indiana Jones IV

33. "Hometown Glory" by Adele

I love, love, love Adele. I could probably make an Adele Top 50 and between her three albums and standalone James Bond theme she doesn't even have enough songs for one. That's how much I enjoy her. To me she's the best thing to come out of the UK in the last ten year, ever since she got rid of Amy Winehouse (what, you don't know she didn't). She's got one of the best voices in music, and doesn't rely on production over talent like so many modern singers (hi, Taylor). This song was her first, and one of her best. The 'Do da di di da da da da do do do do oh oh oh yaaaaaa yaa aye' part (thanks, AZ Lyrics) is one of the favourite things she's done for me. Love when she goes "Words? Nah" and then just does whatever. You be you, Adele.

Also, boo@not being able to find a proper album version of this on the Youtubes. The way it builds up in that version is one of my favourite things about it. I wish they hadn't cut it down for a single release; 4:31 really isn't all that lengthy.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:43 am
Indiana Jones IV

32. "This Time" by John Legend

I didn't want to include any shitty lyric videos, but that's all I could really find for this. In my head it had been a proper release, and it seems like it was just... not. Anyhoo! I love me some John Legend, there's something about his smooth, instantly recognisable voice that just hits a sweet spot. It hits it the hardest with this smooth ballad, but honestly just about any John Legend song is an instant winner for me unless he decided to just plunk at the piano without singing.

I also enjoy how sassy his wife is on Twitter.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:19 am
Indiana Jones IV

31. "Children" by Robert Miles

Shack warning: this song does not contain any lyrics.

A true EDM classic by someone I'd consider a true pioneer in the field of trance. This, like "Fable" after it, is a timeless piece of music that I'll never grow tired of. Was super bummed to hear he'd passed away earlier this year, even though he hadn't composed any music for a while.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 am
now we know

Yeah, Robert Miles is a legend of the genre. Great pick.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

30. "Who Do You Think You Are" by the Spice Girls

I was SO into the Spice Girls back in the day, which was sort of awkward because I was a teenage boy and that... wasn't really what you did. But then I didn't really care much. I even went to see the Spice World movie with a friend of mine, just two teenage guys in an auditorium full of girls. :funny: My favourite's from the "Spice" album though, not "Spice World". "Who Do You Think You Are" is just such a ball of pop energy, I love it.

It ended up the only Spice Girls song on my list, but this was on it for the longest time as well before falling off:

As was this:

In the end I guess it was the mood I was in when I made the final version of the list that influenced my decision? Even numbers 50 through probably 10 on this list could be completely turned upside down if I went through them again.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:25 am
now we know

People like to cringe at the Spice Girls, but they made some fine songs. "2 Become 1" is a nice song as are some others. Not really a fan of "Wannabe" and those types. I was also a Spice Girls fan back in the 90s. Loads of boys were. Nothing to be ashamed of. I collected these postcards they had out and would fantasize about Posh Spice. To me as a child she was just the most perfect female ever. Then as I got older I still liked her actually, but it became clear she was the one with the least amount of talent - her solo "career" was not really even a career. I liked her Dane Bowers collaboration, "Out of Your Mind", but it was one of those songs that really did not require much singing talent, if I recall.

Geri left the group first and I remember liking her first couple, "Lift Me Up" and "Look at Me". Baby Spice, hmm, she had a solo career but I don't recall it well. I believe one song was good. Mel C was the most talented. "Northern Star" was a good album with many good songs including the great "Never Be the Same Again" and "I Turn to You". Loved that album but didn't bother with her afterwards. Weird.

Anyway, yeah, just rambling. :funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:34 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Ramble away, you're preaching to the choir here. Posh Spice was my favourite too, because she just had this... idk, refinement and class to her? She didn't quite have the talent of the others, but I do think she's maybe a bit underrated. She's just got a more restricted/limited range than the others, which is why I think she works well in a group like this. Gotta have those lower ranges to fill out the harmonies.

I actually considered Mel C for this list, both of the songs you mentioned as well as "Northern Star" and "If That Were Me" were pretty great. "I Turn To You" was my favourite of hers, because of the trance influences that the Hex Hector version used for the single had.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:49 am
now we know

I know what I'm going to be listening to tonight!! ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:16 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I didn't do any at the start, but I figured I'd pepper in some honourable mentions as the list progresses.

Honourable Mentions - Dance/Trance Edition
I love me some dance/trance music. There's more to come on the list, but here's a couple that almost made it, but didn't in the end.

And one that doesn't quite fit in with the above, but still...

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:49 am
Indiana Jones IV

29. "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga

A couple of years ago this list would have been riddled with Gaga songs, most likely. Both her "Fame" album and "Fame Monster" EP contain some delicious dance-pop songs. I'm still fond of that Gaga, even though she went on to massively disappoint me from "Born This Way" onward. "Bad Romance" still stands as one of the finest dance/pop records of all time for me. I attended a concert of hers when The Monster Ball Tour came to Holland, and she was pretty fantastic. Great production and excellent live vocals. "Bad Romance" was a definite highlight of the show, which helps it rank higher than it likely would have had I never gone and seen her live.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 am
Indiana Jones IV

28. "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers

Bobby Hatfield can sang. It all comes so freaking effortlessly and sounds so good. This song has been a favourite of mine since its 1991 reissue coinciding with its inclusion in "Ghost". I don't care much about ghost pottery or whatever, but this song is a classic. I usually put a lot of stock in vocal prowess when it comes to songs I enjoy, and I can't immediately think of any male vocalist that could give Hatfield a run for his money.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 am
Indiana Jones IV

#27 will probably have to wait a while, because apparently I need to be a fucking wizard to find a proper version of it.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:22 am
Indiana Jones IV

27. "Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z featuring Alicia Keys

Youtube and Jay-Z can suck it. The image is a link for those who want to listen to the song. :P I'm generally not all that big on rap music, but this is one of the exceptions to the rule. It's just a great song start to finish, from the melody, Jay-Z's lyrics paying homage to his home town, to Alicia's soaring chorus. The latter's vocals have typically grated me since her sophomore album, but in this case they very much work for me.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:59 am
now we know

Reeling off the trance classics with Chicane and Darude. Good stuff. I used to own Faithless Greatest Hits and I liked it but they never produced any really stellar tracks. All very good, but just none were top 50 worthy. Everyone that likes Trance gets into it with acts like Faithless. Good memories of me blasting it on my Hi-Fi in the summer and nobody on my estate caring one iota...then I moved and tried the same thing and everyone complained! #HelloHeadphones

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:05 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

26. "Cryin'" by Aerosmith

1993 is a well represented year on my list, not in the least because of how much MTV I watched back then. This song's inclusion is pretty much entirely driven by that, it was on ALL THE TIME and wormed its way into my head to become my favourite song by Aerosmith. As much as I love the song though, it has nothing on the accompanying video. That shit is iconic.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:19 am
now we know

Aerosmith? Jesus, give me a break.

Anyway, back to Mel C. I'd go:

1. "I Turn to You"
2. "Never Be the Same Again"
3. "Northern Star"

Not listened to any of her future albums. Like a few more from Northern Star, but don't recall them too well to rank them.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
Aerosmith? Jesus, give me a break.

Anyway, back to Mel C. I'd go:

1. "I Turn to You"
2. "Never Be the Same Again"
3. "Northern Star"

Not listened to any of her future albums. Like a few more from Northern Star, but don't recall them too well to rank them.

I feel like you're going to dislike the second half of my list a lot more than the first half. :funny:

The only song I know off any of her other albums is "Here It Comes Again", I don't think it's up there with her Northern Star stuff.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:47 am
now we know

None of the YouTube Mel C videos you post are available in the US.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:03 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Found it. Yeah, it's a decent song and I remember it from way back when too. Loving revisiting these songs with you. Next we'll be onto Kylie Minogue and "Spinning Around". ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Boo@the US.

Maybe this one will work since it's not her Vevo:

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:05 am
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
Found it. Yeah, it's a decent song and I remember it from way back when too. Loving revisiting these songs with you. Next we'll be onto Kylie Minogue and "Spinning Around". ;)

Not to give anything away, but we will probably get there. :P

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:06 am
now we know

Actually Kylie had a great streak from "Spinning Around" for about 5-6 years. Some great dancey hits, then Madonna copied and produced gold with Confessions on a Dancefloor.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I love me some Kylie. Light Years, Fever and Body Language are some pretty great albums with some outstanding songs.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next