Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 the lesser evil has Fifty Favourite Songs too! 
Indiana Jones IV

Post the lesser evil has Fifty Favourite Songs too!

Disclaimer: if you're not into pop music, you won't be into my picks. It's almost exclusively pop for me. My interest in music bloomed in my early teens when I became interested in weekly music charts (a precursor to my interest in box office) and as a result Top 40 music was what I was exposed to most. I'll listen to and enjoy practically ANYTHING, but it's mostly the big pop songs that stuck with me.

The first 10 will be up momentarily!

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:42 am
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: the lesser evil has Fifty Favourite Songs too!
50. “Fading Like a Flower” by Roxette

I'm frankly surprised that Roxette hasn't shown up on anyone's list. They're pretty much the pinnacle for late 80s/early 90s pop/rock. "It Must Have Been Love" and "Listen To Your Heart" are two excellent songs too (and there's several others), but "Fading Like a Flower" has always been my favourite.

49. “Tribal Dance” by 2 Unlimited

This song is what triggered both my interest in music charts and got me to buy my first ever CD (No Limits). It wasn't as big as "No Limit" which came before it, but I always liked this one better. And I might have turned out gay, but I was super into Anita's boobs during this and later video's.

48. “Running Up That Hill” by Within Temptation

Take a song I love already (<3 Kate Bush), add some symphonic rock elements by what's probably my favourite Dutch band and you end up with a record I'll happily screech along with.

47. “Barber's Adagio for Strings” by William Orbit

Just a couple of minutes of solid trance based on a well known composition. Several DJ's have taken a shot at this one, William Orbit's version is just the one I remember best. I'll happily sing along with this despite the lack of lyrics. I'm great at mouth symphonics.

46. “Feel” by Robbie Williams

Robbie Williams is my favourite male pop singer, and this is my favourite song of his. That's it. That's the blurb. :P

45. “All That She Wants” by Ace of Base

Along with 2 Unlimited, Ace of Base was my jam in the early to mid 90s. This, to me, is their most memorable song since it was a staple at many a dance back in the day. Looking back at it now it was hilarious, because it lacked the heavier/faster beats of Eurodance but was too quick to be a ballad. Imagine a bunch of twelve year olds trying to dance to that.

44. “Fuck You” by Lily Allen

This song makes me happy. Partially because its upbeat melody, but mostly because cheerily going "Fuck you" in an office setting pleases me. >.> I love it mostly as a big, fat middle finger towards George W. Bush though, and feel like it's only a few minor lyrical changes away from being perfect for Trump too.

43. “I'm Outta Love” by Anastacia

I THOUGHT SHE WAS BLACK. Such a trip to hear a song on the radio a whole bunch of times without seeing a video and realizing that they are, in fact, very much white. Anastacia was one of my favourites around the change of the millennium, then she sort of disappeared only to come back with basically a new face and boring songs. Such a shame.

42. “Clocks” by Coldplay

Confession: I severely dislike several Coldplay songs. "Fix You" makes me want to vomit, and I can't quite put my finger on it but I'm not a fan of Chris Martin either. Mostly of his face. He's just like vanilla that has taken on human shape. "Clocks", though? I love it. The main driving force here is what I always mistook for "Oooohh, ahhh" (which is actually "You are") and loudly mimicking that while in the car with one of my best friends. There's a couple of other Coldplay songs I like too ("Viva La Vida" and "Paradise" come to mind) but this is my favourite of the lot.

41. “Bootie Call” by All Saints

Girl group pop perfection, that's what All Saints is. They consistently made pop music that was significantly less bland than their contemporaries, had much more interesting vocal blends that weren't limited to "This person sings the verse, then they all sing the chorus together" and some damn good songs to boot. Or bootie.

...call.

I'll show myself out.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 am
Keeping it Light

Great list so far. Love the remarks with each song as well.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:14 am
The Wall

the lesser evil wrote:
Girl group pop perfection, that's what All Saints is. They consistently made pop music that was significantly less bland than their contemporaries, had much more interesting vocal blends that weren't limited to "This person sings the verse, then they all sing the chorus together" and some damn good songs to boot. Or bootie.

Yes they are yet to deliver a bad album (though Studio 1 was nearly there - it had some great cuts but going for reggae, electro R&B didn't really prove to be a thing that works for them). Last year's Red Flag was one of the better albums of the year for me. The sound might be a bit "older pop" without many current pop sounds thrown in, but the material was really solid with some excellent melodies. They haven't lost their knack for pop.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I haven't actually checked out their work post-reunion much, beyond three of their songs just now. They're... not as good as they used to be? It sounds a bit more processed/heavy on production and too fond of the drum machine. It's not bad, but I wouldn't rank it up there with their material from "All Saints" or "Saints & Sinners".

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:49 pm
The Wall

I don't know which three songs you listened to but if you find them drum heavy, then don't even try to listen to Studio 1. :funny:

I don't agree it's heavy on production. It's a very stripped album IMHO. It's a great listen on nice speakers (or really good headphones) - every instrument is very clear, voices are perfectly positioned, there's no clutter like in much of today's music.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

_axiom wrote:
I don't know which three songs you listened to but if you find them drum heavy, then don't even try to listen to Studio 1. :funny:

I don't agree it's heavy on production. It's a very stripped album IMHO. It's a great listen on nice speakers (or really good headphones) - every instrument is very clear, voices are perfectly positioned, there's no clutter like in much of today's music.

"One Strike", "This is a War" and "One Woman Man" are the ones I listened to. They seem busier than their early work was, especially the percussion. Not going to judge the songs after one listen though. Sometimes it takes a bit to warm up to stuff.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:01 pm
Devil's Advocate

#50 - fine enough 80s pop song, I like Listen to Your Heart the most from them

#49 - Sounds like a combination of a sports pump up song and Marky Mark

#48 - not for me

#47 - As was the case with Algren's list I have a hard time with lyrics-less songs

#46 - I hadn't listened to this for a while and reminded of what a good song it is, even better than Angel on stuffp's list, my favorite of the group

#45 - Decent 80s song but I the Sign is my favorite AOB

#44 - Good song, I like Lily so I'm glad to see her on the list

#43 - A song I'd heard a lot without knowing who sang it, ok pop song, I might be too straight for it

#42 - I enjoy the piano riff but mid level Coldplay single for me

#41 - Can't get into either this song or the one stuffp posted

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:17 pm
Indiana Jones IV

So obsessed with the 80s, Shack. Both "Fading Like a Flower" (1991) and "All That She Wants" (1993) are 90s songs. ;)

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Within Temptation is one of my favorite bands, even though their recent albums haven't been much to my liking.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Great list so far. Did not listen to them yet but know most by name.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Fucking right about Orbit's "Adagio". Great version. Though Tiesto's is also great.

Great inclusion with "Feel". Sublime song.

"All That She Wants" was also a favourite of mine in the 90s. Still listen to it nowadays too!

And "Clocks", yes! Brilliant. Though not liking Coldplay is sacrilegious! I had a laugh at not liking Martin because of his face though. :funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Corpse wrote:
Within Temptation is one of my favorite bands, even though their recent albums haven't been much to my liking.

It feels like they're edging more towards the rock part instead of the symphonic part? I miss the choirs and symphonic instrumentation in their last two albums. Still think "Faster" is a great song, just not that great of a Within Temptation song. Sharon's forever a beast though.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 am
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
Fucking right about Orbit's "Adagio". Great version. Though Tiesto's is also great.

Tïesto's version is indeed great, and the one that I came across first when looking up a video for "Adagio". William Orbit's is the one that I remember the best though, he actually had a top 10 hit here in Holland with his version. Tïesto's going to be the bridesmaid again a lot later on this list too.

Algren wrote:
Great inclusion with "Feel". Sublime song.

Right? I'm actually thinking I put it too low after giving it a few more listens... and I also realize he's not the only male pop singer on my list. I guess "favourite song by favourite pop singer" doesn't mean it'll rank higher than favourite songs by non-favourite male pop singers. >.>

Algren wrote:
"All That She Wants" was also a favourite of mine in the 90s. Still listen to it nowadays too!

They were a highlight of the early/mid 90's. Sweden's produced so much quality pop for such a small population of people. This is why they win Eurovision so often, they're just really good at pop.

Algren wrote:
And "Clocks", yes! Brilliant. Though not liking Coldplay is sacrilegious! I had a laugh at not liking Martin because of his face though. :funny:

Maybe it's just "Fix You" that fills me with all-encompassing rage? I don't know. :P "The Scientist" is another slow jam by Coldplay and I like that just fine. It's just... I can't think of Coldplay without thinking of "Fix You" and it's bad.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 am
now we know

Damn! All these years I've thought Ace of Base were Australian. Well I never...

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Yeah, "Feel" is far too low. :P

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
Damn! All these years I've thought Ace of Base were Australian. Well I never...

Consider yourself educated. :funny:

Algren wrote:
Yeah, "Feel" is far too low. :P

It wasn't even on yours, so shhh. Maybe you should do a pop list too, yours had far too little of it considering how much you seem to like the pop entries on other lists. :P

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:50 am
Indiana Jones IV

Planned to do another ten, but they're expecting me to do work so it's just going to be five for now.

40. "America" by Razorlight

Razorlight's one of those "Was interested for one album, then never again" artists for me, for some reason. There were actually several of their songs on my initial list ("In the Morning" and "Before I Fall to Pieces") but in the end this is the only one that made it. The song sort of feels like it's written from the perspective of a guy who does fuck-all and just watches shit America does. I can relate.

39. "Traffic" by Tiësto

I love a good trance piece, and this is one of my favourites. It helps that it hit #1 here in Holland, because I am a top 40 slut and charting well always helps raising my awareness. Sorry Shack, no lyrics in this one either.

38. "Weak" by Skunk Anansie

One of the best rock bands from the 90s that I don't feel get enough credit for how good they were. Skin is a vocal beast. She also sort of scares me. And speaking of women who don't have hair...

37. "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinéad O'Conner

This song captivated me when it reigned the charts in 1990. It was one of those "I sing along with it even though I don't grasp the lyrics that well" songs. Like, I thought she sang about a wizard's blouse ('bloes', the Dutch for blouse sounds the same as blues) and I still can't hear it differently.

36. "Open Sesame" by Leila K

I loved this song back when I was a kid. Between this, 2 Unlimited and Ace of Base, 1993 was a very good year for teenage me. Looking back now, I listen to the lyrics and have no idea what's going on, but honestly just like back then it doesn't really matter to me. I'm hooked as soon as the beat kicks in.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:53 am
now we know

the lesser evil wrote:
It wasn't even on yours, so shhh. Maybe you should do a pop list too, yours had far too little of it considering how much you seem to like the pop entries on other lists. :P

It was in my HMs. :P

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
the lesser evil wrote:

That's basically a list of things not on your list, the point stands. ;)

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 am
Indiana Jones IV

Guess I'll just sneak in another entry every so often at work. >.>

35. "Push The Button" by the Sugababes

This group was a hot mess, switching members almost as often as you'd switch underpants. The first two incarnations turned out some damn fine pop songs though, and several of them made my original list. "Hole in the Head" was in the top 50 originally but got pushed out as more and more "Oh yeah, that one" songs crept in front of it. This one though? This one definitely needed to be here though. It's got such a damn catchy beat and melody, making for a damn near perfect pop song. I wish these ladies could get their heads out of their asses and reconcile, but that's probably not going to happen.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 am
now we know

the lesser evil wrote:
Algren wrote:
the lesser evil wrote:

Does it matter? You know I like it...is the point. And it should be higher on your list, because "Feel" is one of the best pop songs ever.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:46 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:
the lesser evil wrote:
Algren wrote:
the lesser evil wrote:

Does it matter? You know I like it...is the point. And it should be higher on your list, because "Feel" is one of the best pop songs ever.

To be fair I think all of these are one of the best pop songs ever. :funny: Ordering the list aside from the number one was a challenge.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:50 am
now we know

Take away the electronica and rock from my list and "Feel" shoots to the Top 5. :thumbsup:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

the lesser evil wrote:
Guess I'll just sneak in another entry every so often at work. >.>

35. "Push The Button" by the Sugababes

This group was a hot mess, switching members almost as often as you'd switch underpants. The first two incarnations turned out some damn fine pop songs though, and several of them made my original list. "Hole in the Head" was in the top 50 originally but got pushed out as more and more "Oh yeah, that one" songs crept in front of it. This one though? This one definitely needed to be here though. It's got such a damn catchy beat and melody, making for a damn near perfect pop song. I wish these ladies could get their heads out of their asses and reconcile, but that's probably not going to happen.

Yes Sugababes really have great tunes. One of the best showcases of pop brilliance is taking the music fromTubeway Army's Are Friends Electric? and pairing it with the lyrics from Adina Howard's Freak Like Me. That's one epic pop song.

I actually liked them up until the very last incarnation (the one with Jade Ewen). Catfights and Spotlight was a nice listen. Very retro album and very uncharacteristic for them which explains why it (undeservedly IMHO) flopped. Lyrics from Every Heart Broken are crazy funny (https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/sugabab ... roken.html) and there are other nice songs on the album.

But the original lineup did get together for a new band MKS and they released one song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQh-TTeUWs) which I think is awesome (it might be too heavy on the drum beat machine for you though :P but their vocals are slaying) and for some reason the album never happened. The demo tracks from the sessions did leak at the beginning of this year I think and there are some really awesome songs in there. Rumor is that Keisha wanted to wait for the Sugababes name rights to revert back to her. Apparently they did, but there's still no new info about this. I would love to see the original lineup back together.

Also check out Siobhan's solo albums. Her second album Ghosts is one of the most underrated albums in pop history. Amazing electropop album. If it was released by Britney or Rihanna back in 2007 it would be heralded as pop masterpiece and would probably sell a shitload. Unfortunately the album ended up being pretty obscure even in her native UK market.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next