Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Favourite Franz Ferdinand Song 

"Darts of Pleasure" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"Take Me Out" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"The Dark of the Matinée" 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
"Michael" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"This Fire" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"Do You Want To" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"Walk Away" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"The Fallen" 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
"Eleanor Put Your Boots On" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"Right Action" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"Love Illumination" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"Evil Eye" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"Bullet" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"Fresh Strawberries" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
"Stand on the Horizon" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

now we know

Post Favourite Franz Ferdinand Song

There is no thread about Franz Ferdinand. No album review thread, no best song thread, just nothing. I had to change that.

My favourites are:

1. "Auf Achse"
2. "Take Me Out"
3. "The Dark of the Matinée"

Their debut album Franz Ferdinand is perfect. Their follow-up, You Could Have It So Much Better, is pretty dire. Such a letdown. Their third album, Tonight, I've never listened to, but I don't feel like including it as a proper album (I'll listen to it one day). Their fourth album, Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action, is back up near the level of their first. Brilliant.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Favourite Franz Ferdinand Song
1. "The Dark of the Matinee"
2. "Ulysses"
3. "Darts of Pleasure"
4. "Michael"
5. "Outsiders"

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:59 am
Hold the door!

Who the hell is Franz Ferdinand?

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:25 pm
Pure Phase

They must not teach context clues at the Polygamist Academy for the Education of Wayward Boys in Christ or else you could determine Franz Ferdinand is a band from the picture alone. Not even any Googling required.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

I only know Take Me Out

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:42 pm
Keeping it Light

I know Franz Ferdinand, but I never listened to tthem deliberately and couldn't recall any song.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:37 pm
Hold the door!

David wrote:
They must not teach context clues at the Polygamist Academy for the Education of Wayward Boys in Christ or else you could determine Franz Ferdinand is a band from the picture alone. Not even any Googling required.

Well no shit!

I just meant I've never heard of him.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:09 am
now we know

Him? This isn't the history forum!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:37 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Calling the second album dire, yet the first one perfect is hilarious. Their debut is great, but their follow-up was equally good if not better. They released it just a year after the debut and there wasn't even a slight departure in the sound, but it's a more polished version of it. They returned with bigger hooks and "You Could Have It So Much Better" actually feels like the album they wanted to make with their debut as it only perfected the formula.

"Tonight: Franz Ferdinand" was a good album. It doesn't compare to the first two though. Arriving 4 years after YCHISMB they did try to change the sound a bit, nothing drastic, but you can still hear it clearly. If they cut 2-3 songs it might've been a much stronger album as it does have some really good tunes ("Ulysses" is just as good as a foot stomper like "Take Me Out" from the debut or "Do You Want To" from YCHISMB, and "No You Girls" could've easily been a song from any of the previous two albums). The thing that threw most people off the third album back then was that weird release of "Lucid Dreams" as a single / promo single. It wasn't a good representation of the album, let alone Franz Ferdinand as the song sounded like any other rock band back then. It flat out bombed and kind of killed the whole era. Even more baffling is how they completely changed the song for the album and added the weird acid-techno-dance 3 minute ending to it. That version of the song was much better though and I'm glad they included it on the album. This is one of the best examples how a bad first single can kill the whole era. People are fickle, these days especially, and they can abandon the artist in a blink of an eye.

"Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action" was an OK album, but this is the first time they seemed like they really weren't inspired at all and just wanted to do the Franz Ferdinand sound. I listened to it a couple of times, but every time it only made me want to listen to any of their previous albums, not replay it. It just didn't really bring anything new to the table this time.

"FFS" album was much better release and more fun than RTRWRA. "Johnny Delusional" is a typical FF song and Kapranos delivers it with so much joy. I wish that project had more success than it did. Hopefully their collaboration with Sparks will give them a kick to make the next FF album a bit more interesting and add something new.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:33 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I'm really not very familiar with them, but "The Dark of the Matinée" is one of my favourite songs period.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:06 am
Extraordinary

Excellent band.

I liked the album they did with Sparks a few years ago, too (another excellent band)

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]