Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 The Flava'd Fifty: Greatest Songs 
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty: Greatest Songs
"Money" is a great, stylish, catchy song, but classic-rock radio has murdered it a bit, similar to "Stairway to Heaven."

A Pink Floyd song, "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun," was one of the very last few songs I cut from my list to reach a total of 50.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:12 am
The Kramer

Algren wrote:
(only because I had never heard a Tool song until 30th August 2017).
I was actually a little surprised they didn't feature on your list and now I know why. :funny:

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:23 am
now we know

David wrote:
"Money"

"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"

I am excited to listen to both later. :yes:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I struggle with most songs that have "money" in the title, just not a subject I connect to

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:56 am
The Kramer

I was gonna go to bed, but the vicoden I got from the dentist are keeping me awake. So lets sail onwards to the beautiful unknown.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:05 am
The Kramer

"Face away and pretend that I'm not, but I'll be here 'cause you're all that I've got"

6. "Faint" by Linkin Park

I'd like to say there's no post death bump here, but with the wound still fresh its hard to say whether my emotions are clouded. I can say for sure that it was my #1 song of 2003 and has been one of the most important songs in my life since. I can also say that I always pop huge for those violens and sing along. I can also say that while Linkin Park's signature is the dualing vocals of Mike and Chester, this song complements them excellently by having the violins and guitars duel to match their singers. I can also definitely say I get chills when that flips and Chester does the 2nd to last chorus with just the violins. And as luck would have it, my favorite Park track is one that isn't super depressing in hindsight. Unless you interpret the lyrics as being sung to a good friend, or anyone who will listen, rather than just a girl. The raw energy present is just so awesome though and so easy to get swept into. Faint is a powerhouse that doesn't even need 3 minutes to tear the house down. So yeah, this is a top ten track whether or not Chester is among the living. It's just a damn shame that I'll never be able to hear it live again.

"I can't feel the way I did before, don't turn your back on me, I won't be ignored!"

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:24 am
The Kramer

That is definitely it for the night. The plan is to do 5-2 tomorrow and #1 on Thursday. Can't believe we are almost at the end! What a fun time it has been.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:26 am
Devil's Advocate

I love that video, good pick

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:50 am
The Kramer

V time baby!

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 am
The Kramer

"And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me"

5. "Let It Be" by The Beatles

For some reason all the youtube videos have this semi-live version of the something, which doesn't pop quite as much as the album version. Oh well, like seriously who hasn't heard this song before? Even if by accident everyone has heard the good version. Anyways, on the song, which just has amazing and beautiful lyrics. We start with Paul (the greatest Beatle) and his piano and a very intimate first two verses. Then the drums kick in for a verse and the rest of the band joins in for the first chorus. We even get a killer solo from George before Paul finishes us off with the final verse and chorus. They could have just stuck with the piano and been fine, but this brilliant composition is what makes Let It Be so special. Though it was released afterwards, most (if not all) of this album was recorded before Abbey Road, and is considered to be the final straw for the band. As I mentioned before though, even though they were at each others throats they were so damn talented at this point that they couldn't help but make amazing songs. Let It Be starts so intimately, making you feel like Paul and yourself are the only people in the world who really "get it." By the end of the song we can come together and sing the chorus as one, with each individual voice being a necessary piece of the puzzle. This song even survived one of the corniest videos I've seen at work, with a bunch of older celebrities singing a line at a time. That kind of thing can ruin an average song, but Let It Be is no average song. It is eternal.

"And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me"

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:46 am
Devil's Advocate

It is my favorite Beatles song as well

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:05 pm
Pure Phase

"Let It Be" isn't quite my favorite Beatles tune, but it would place in the top five. Incredibly poignant song.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:36 pm
The Kramer

Now I aint trying to be rude but baby girl Im feeling you if you feeling the #4 best song.

Its not Ignition but I wanted to mention it somewhere. :P

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:21 pm
The Kramer

"For a hill men will kill, why? They do not know"

4. "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Metallica

Loving For Whom The Bell Tolls has a major drawback. I hear the bell sounds at work, get really excited, and then fucking "Hells Bells" comes on. Now Hells Bells on its own is a quality song, but its turned into the biggest tease in musical history. So when the bell rings and its followed by that opening riff made of straight fire, I pop harder than for any other song on here. It has a pretty good case for #1, but on this version of the song list it is #4 (explanations on that will come). But enough speculation of what could have been. Lets focus on what makes Bells the #1 all time most badass charts. Well its the best song on the all time best album ("Ride The Lightning" , "Fade To Black" , "Trapped Under Ice" and "Creeping Death" back it up.) Its an instant pump you upper and perfect for working out. It tells a sad but powerful tale of men dying in battle, for seemingly pointless reasons (think Paths Of Glory.) It has a hook that must be shouted at every opportunity. And gosh Kirk Hammond is just such an excellent guitar player. He brings the perfect balance of power, speed, rhythm and melody. The lyrics only take up about a third of the song, but he sells the story as well as James Hetfield does. I want to see Metallica live so badly, and part of that is because I wanna lose myself in this song. Just me and the jamming, and the pit, though I'd actually just stay on the outside for this one. The Bells are enough.

"Time marches on"

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:52 pm
The Kramer

Going through Ride The Lightning (I always listen to the rest of the album during the write up)made me regret spoiling a potential albums list. I should've done another Flava'd 50 just to highlight how awesome it is. Maybe in a few years when everyone forgets what I've written.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:55 pm
The Kramer

We are down to 3. And that trilogy of awesome will begin ... after this conmercial break.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:11 am
The Kramer

"Here I go its my shot, feet fail me not, this may be the only opportunity that I got"

3. "Lose Yourself" by Eminem

Peak Shady! So I have three defining moments for this song. After slaying the music world with The Eminem Show, Em completed his all-timer year with a crossover the likes of Mayweather v McGregor, the semi-autobiographical movie 8 Mile. I was already sold on it being a huge fan, but I think the rest of the world got on board when they first dropped this track in the trailer. I was hyped and when the full song was finally released, we all sat in marvel. The best movie song ever instantaneously, and maybe the best Eminem song ever? Yes, but we couldn't have known that at the time. That trailer with this song opened the movie to 50 million in 2002. Think of all the movies that failed to hit $50m total this summer. It was insanity over on the box office mojo forums (RIP.) Next came 92.3 Xtreme Radio's top 92 songs of 2002 New Years Eve countdown. Eminem was so huge in 2002 that even the rock stations had to start playing him. I wasn't expecting much from Lose Yourself since it was so recent, but I was expecting "Without Me" to chart very high seeing as how it did so well on the daily countdown in the summer. Well it landed at #33 and you can imagine 2002 Flava'ds disappointment. I love "Creatures (For Awhile)" by 311 but how could that beat every Eminem song. Well it is a rock station after all, but then, to the shock of the world (of Cleveland rock fans) Lose Yourself clocked in at #2!! You can be sure that I fist pumped in the air. "Aerials" by System of a Down was #1 and that song is great too, so I won't wear the grudge like a crown. Lastly came the Oscars, which Em refused to perform on cause they didn't want him to swear or something. I was hoping, though not optimistic, but that hope was rewarded with a freakin win! Now its 2017, 8 Mile is mostly forgotten, Xtreme Radio is long gone and the oscars haven't produced such a deseving winner since (well maybe ROTK for BP.) Lose Yourself lives on though. It is such a powerful song, both sonically and lyrically. The beat is hard and Eminem flows at the speed of light. And while the song is mostly describing the last scene of the movie, its deep enough to apply to anybody who is looking for that one life changing. Eminem is trying his best to prepare us for that crucial moment, but its up to us to not let it slip.

"No more games, Ima change what you call rage, tear this motherfuckin roof off like two dogs caged"

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:40 am
The Kramer

I'm pretty tired so will probably just do 2 and 1 tomorrow. The top two!! It will be glorious.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:42 am
now we know

"Lose Yourself" was a decent track back in 2003. But then it got way overplayed, and it got annoying. I'll give it another listen later to see my present thoughts.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:16 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Well my last prediction was mostly a miss, but I'm gonna say for the top 2 Baba O'Riley and Enter Sandman

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:36 am
Keeping it Light

Shack wrote:
I struggle with most songs that have "money" in the title, just not a subject I connect to

The best "money" song I can think of
Spoiler: show

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:37 am
Devil's Advocate

Good call

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:38 am
now we know

"Lose Yourself" is still a good song but I think a remix would be better (I am sure it exists). What happened to Eminem the Movie Star?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:48 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Eminem was supposed to do a boxing movie after, but his drug problem messed it up I believe. And for whatever reason he passed on the lead role in Elysium, which eventually went to Bald Matt Damon.

The silver medal winner is coming up. 2nd place may not cut it for the divas, but its gonna have to be enough. And its not Lily so we should be fine.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:31 pm
The Kramer

stuffp wrote:
Shack wrote:

The best "money" song I can think of
Spoiler: show
Great song! I've always wanted money for nothing and chicks for free.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next