Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 The Flava'd Fifty: Greatest Songs 
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty: Greatest Songs
I'm tempted to do one of these as well eventually, but I'm always terrible at picking favourites. Plus, my taste in music tends to be pretty shit, but at least I'd make zwackerm's look better in comparison.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:34 pm
The Kramer

"Every nights a different story, it's a thirty car pile-up with you"

2. "Dance Yourself Clean" by LCD Soundsystem

Everyone's reaction to hearing this song for the first time: Well this is kinda cool, kinda catchy and maybe with time WHAAAAAA ... :shout: :cheer: The slow part at the beginning starting with the drums and adding more and more goes on for about 3 of the 9 minutes. Not long enough to overstay its welcome, but just long enough to lure you into thinking that's all there is to Dance Yourself Clean. Then that beat drops out of nowhere and it become one of the all time greatest. I do hope some of you have not heard the song so you can give me that type of reaction. Even though this album came out at the tail end of my time living it New York, its becoming the defining theme for both that year and the entire city(the best city) for me. And that remained even after they skipped this song when I saw them at Terminal 5 (cmon Jimmy!) Still a great show though. This epic dance punk opening track has also become the messiah for my modern music taste, as I was dangerously close to becoming a "rock only" type of guy after hearing everyone else in my dorm spam every pop and hip-hop song ever to death. To this day it holds high importance to me and everyone I've spread it to. My cousin used this as his "Introducing the new bride and groom" song at his wedding last summer and it was totally awesome. They walked in like total bosses while I grooved out. And this song fits so perfectly for then, now and forever. I've always interpreted it as being about the fear of missing out on the biggest moments of your life, and how that fear can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you're so worried about divorice the you'll miss out on the marriage altogether. Its not exactly carpe diem, its dance yourself clean. A phrase that means get it all out as you may not get another chance. If we wait until the weekend we will miss the very best things to do. And you can wait around, arguing with mean friends, or you can just do it. Whatever It is.

"Don't you want me to wake up?"

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

Never heard it, it's pretty awesome so far and I like the slow part too

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:59 pm
The Wall

For a list I can't seem to say it's my cup of tea Dance Yrself Clean is such a surprising and brilliant pick.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Enough waiting, let the end begin!!

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:16 pm
Pure Phase

It is not quite my favorite LCD Soundsystem song (which would be "Losing My Edge" or "All My Friends"), but definitely a terrific choice.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:32 pm
The Kramer

"Trapped in myself, body holding my cell"

1. "One" by Metallica

I've mentioned many of my musical influences over the course of this thread, but there is one I have delierately held off on until now; Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock. It has scored several spots on here and every song that did not place would be a close call. Most importantly, it gave me this powerhouse of a song. Not only that, but it swung my opinion of Metallica entirely. Let's flashback to the late 90s, early 2000s when I was first really getting into music, choosing favorites and least favorites. The first Metallica song I heard was "I Dissapear" and that song is kinda whack. Then Metallica declared war on Napster. Now I was still buying albums back then, but I was a tweenager and I didn't have a lot of money. So when Napster came around I thought it was just about the greatest thing ever. No longer would I have to wager $15 and my faith that one good song would equate to a whole good album. And here are these geezers trying to take it away from me so they can be slightly richer than the obscene wealth they already have. Screw those guys! Not to mention that St. Anger album being kinda dull, though "Frantic" was good, it just wasn't enough to swing my opinion. I was initially upset that they even had a song on GH3, hopefully I'd be able to beat it once and never have to deal with it again. Oh ho ho I was wrong, it was the hardest song in the game. The solo was pretty much impossible on its own and you'd need to hold on to your starpower for over 5 minutes before it even came. Time and time again I tried and time and time again I failed. Yet something good was happening along with my failures, an appreciation for how good this song is. Every time I played I enjoyed it a bit more and that would lead to the Great Metallica Binge of 2008. My ipod and itunes played nothing but Metallica for about a month, forgetting all about I Disappear and the war on napster. And I believe it was the day I finally conquered One that it became my all time favorite song.

Here we are nearly ten years later and nothing has changed. As amazing as every other song on The Flava'd Fifty is, they never stood a chance. Let's start with the guitars obviously. This song is known for its absolutely epic guitar solo, and it is the best ever strummed, but there is so much more. Like the two solos in the first half of the song which are in direct contrast to the main one, beautiful in the face of horror. We also have two of the best guitar riffs ever made, which also contrast. The harmonoius one that carries the beginning, trying to give our war hero some peace in his final moments. The more iconic machine gun riff swiftly swipes the peace aside though. The war has taken literally everything from this man except his pulse, but he still can't escape the guns. The power of this section leads into the legendary solo, a tidal wave of force that will never let you rest again. It is overwhelmingly concussive, but Metallica isn't ready to let go of us yet. Back come the guns and the cannons of rock launch another massive solo at us. By the end there is nowhere left to run. The sonic firestorm has engulfed our ears.

Metallica have never been anything but literal in their song writing. So this song is about a veteran who lost all his limbs and ability to consciously coexist among the living. The machines are all that's keeping him alive and that may be the worst curse of all. So I've never been in war, or imprisoned or seriously injured. Yet I think we can all still relate to the song. The prison he is in may not be entirely of his own doing, but when is it ever? War may be thrust upon you but you still have to pick up the gun. And whether or not there are honorable intentions, actions have consequences. One is a tragic tale highlighting this, but it can still be a light to guide us into a better life. One where we do not have to be trapped in our own prisons. One where our lives are our own and not reliant on machines (literally or figuratively.) One where our biggest concern is where to rank a song. One where we can share that freedom with others, rather than pushing them away for fear they will take the little we have. And that my friends is why One is the One.

"Hold my breath as I wish for death, oh god please help me!"

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 am
The Kramer

What a rush!! I hope you all had as good of a time as I did. Will probably be some honorable mention type of list at some point, though I already mentioned quite a few of them in the write ups or responses.

Thanks for tuning in!!! :D

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:07 am
Pure Phase

Awesome. It was great fun following along as you revealed your list, and I love many of your inclusions. :)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:08 am
now we know

Fitting final song.

Cannot wait to hear that LCD Soundsystem song. Surprisingly, I've never really got into LCD.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

"Dance Yourself Clean" by LCD Soundsystem

never heard of it before, but awesome song!

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:48 am
now we know

"Dance Yourself Clean" is ok, but not the song I thought it would be from the reactions in this thread. "The One" is ok (first Metallica song I heard was also "I Disappear" - we got into music at the same time it seems).

Overall I wish I could be as positive as David, but it has been a difficult Top 50 to endure. I do not believe any song has really hit it off with me.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I could never really get into Metallica, I probably would prefer their sellout period

Thanks for the list and for starting this project Flav'd!

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:48 am
Keeping it Light

"One" doesn't do it for me. I guess I know and like "Nothing Else Matters", well come to think of it, that's a great song. But otherwise I've never been into them.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:16 pm
Keeping it Light

I have some trouble relating to the top 10, #2 is definitely the best of the bunch for me, for all the others there aren't any that really stand out.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 pm
The Kramer

No more videos, but a few extra close calls that I did not mention in any of my write ups.

"The Scientist" by Coldplay
"Barracuda" and "Magic Man" by Heart
"Adam's Song" by blink 182
"Wolf Like Me" by TV On The Radio
"Fight Test" by The Flaming Lips
"Downfall" by TrustCompany
"Wake The Dead" by Comeback Kid
"Through The Fire And Flames" by Dragonforce
"Zero" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
"The House That Heaven Built" by Japandroids
"Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears
"Freak On A Leash" by Korn
"Changes" by 2Pac
"Still Tippin" by Mike Jones, Paul Wall and Slim Thug
"Kickstart My Heart" by Motley Crew
"Say It Aint So" by Weezer
"Indestructible" by Robyn
"Whatever You Like" by TI
"Slther" by Velvet Revolver
"Gimme Shelter" and "Paint It Black" by The Rolling Stones

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:25 pm
The Kramer

And the full list for people who don't wanna go through the whole thread.

50. Toxicity - System of A Down
49. Badfish - Sublime
48. ATLiens - Outkast
47. Tell Me Baby - Red Hot Chili Peppers
46. Forgot About Dre - Dr. Dre and Eminem
45. Talk - Against The Current
44. Help I'm Alive - Metric
43. Best of You - Foo Fighters
42. All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
41. Warrior Man - Dr. Dog
40. State of Grace - Taylor Swift
39. Real Mothaphuckkin G's - Eazy-E, Dresta and B.G. Knocc Out
38. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode
37. One Big Holiday - My Morning Jacket
36. Never Again - Kelly Clarkson
35. Wish - Nine Inch Nails
34. Wish You Were Here - Incubus
33. Uprising - Muse
32. Young Blood - The Naked and Famous
31. Wonderwall - Oasis
30. Thriller - Fall Out Boy
29. London Calling - The Clash
28. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
27. Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.
26. Bulls On Parade - Rage Against The Machine
25. Anarchy In The U.K. - Sex Pistols
24. Starlight - Muse
23. Rebellion - Arcade Fire
22. Something - The Beatles
21. The Downfall Of Us All - A Day To Remember
20. Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
19. Come As You Are - Nirvana
18. The Sound Of Settling - Death Cab For Cutie
17. Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin
16. Heartless - Kanye West
15. Sure Shot - Beastie Boys
14. When You Were Young - The Killers
13. Without Me - Eminem
12. Paranoid Android - Radiohead
11. Sparks Fly - Taylor Swift
10. No One Sleeps When I'm Awake - The Sounds
9. Closer - Nine Inch Nails
8. The Grudge - Tool
7. Money - Pink Floyd
6. Faint - Linkin Park
5. Let It Be - The Beatles
4. For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica
3. Lose Yourself - Eminem
2. Dance Yourself Clean - LCD Soundsystem
1. One - Metallica

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:27 pm
Keeping it Light

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
No more videos, but a few extra close calls that I did not mention in any of my write ups.

"Freak On A Leash" by Korn

Don't know most of those other songs well, but "Freak On A Leash" is so great, it completely dropped of the radar for me, but I was very much into this song when it came out.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:36 pm
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

Algren wrote:
1. Flav'd
2. Algren
3. zwackerm
4. Shack
5. BJ
6. stuffp
7. David

I compiled a list as well, changed it 8 or 9 times. :funny:

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:42 pm
Hold the door!

Yeah I haven't been working on my list. I' started it and lost steam after realizing just how much music I like (I narrowed it down to year end billboard hot 100 hits, and even that's exhausting).

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:53 pm
now we know

Looking forward to a CowboyFromHell list, though isn't he the hard rock dude?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:00 am
Profile WWW

Algren wrote:
Looking forward to a CowboyFromHell list, though isn't he the hard rock dude?

Yeah, hard rock and metal.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am
now we know

Yeah. Thought so. Might not be so great then, but I still look forward to it. Might surprise, and I do like rock music and metal.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:15 am
Profile WWW

Nice list Flava'd, really like seeing ADTR included. :cool:

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:04 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Nice selection. Tell Me Baby is probably my favorite RHCP song, too, interestingly.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next