Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 The Flava'd Fifty: Greatest Songs 
The Kramer

Post The Flava'd Fifty: Greatest Songs
While musing over how best to update my top movies list, I thought it a good idea to make Best Of lists of my other favorite forms of entertainment as well. At first I was gonna start with video games and came up with a pretty solid list rather quickly. But unfortunately that forum is deaded than dead. Thus the music list was born. At first it was gonna be the 100 greatest, but that felt a little too inclusive. With most of my favorite artists getting two or three songs a piece it would have become repetitive very quickly. So here we have The Flava'd Fifty: Songs Edition.

I didn't purposely make it one song per artist, but it kind of worked out that way with only a handful of exceptions. I also didn't want to just list my favorite songs from my favorite artists. I wanted it to be the songs I popped most for when hearing them on the radio or other musical distribution device I had no control over (arena loudspeakers at my work most specifically). Which songs can I not helped but sing along too? Which beats make my head bob and feet tap? I'm not just looking for nostalgia, but music that I have connected with even more throughout the years. Cause as we all know, music is often like heroin, never quite the same as the first taste.

So I narrowed it down to these fifty, with fewer than ten really hard to keep off close calls ready to ruin the entire thing if I wait any longer. I'll save those until the end to maintain the mystery. This may take awhile, or maybe it won't take long at all. I'm giving every song its own post, but I'd like to do atleast 2-3 a day and finish this in 2-3 weeks. If you don't like my style you can make your own thread. :P

And so it begins...

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty: Greatest Songs
"How do you own disorder?"

50. "Toxicity" by System of a Down

-System of a Down are a band who are best known for both their very hard songs and very soft songs. The Sugars and Spiders of their discography. A common theme of this list is how I like bands with multiple sounds, and the songs I love most are the ones that perfectly blend those sounds together. "Toxicity" is a great example of this, the title track of their greatest album most fittingly. The almost angelic opening riff set the tone, the hard riff that follows is a bit jarring on first listen, but by the end of the song both are in harmony. I think the story of the song is about our modern technological age corrupting what came before it, causing toxicity in our cities? System was known for often colorfully describing their political views in the onslaught of their guitars and drums. Yet I bring the word harmony, as Serj always knew how to perfectly complement his music with his voice and lyrics. And that is why "Toxicity" made it on here in the face of very harsh competition in the 50-60 range.

"Eating seeds as a pasttime activity, the toxicity of our city"

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:25 pm
Keeping it Light

Nice thread :thumbsup:

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:32 pm
Hold the door!

I would have to qualify my list since i only listen to pop.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 pm
The Kramer

A few more notes that I forgot in the opening post:

I've never made an All-Time songs list before.

I made the playlist using only Apple Music, so its possible I might have left some things off. But if I hadn't added it to my library in 2+ years how great can the song really be?

Even though it will hurt the presentation, I'll start putting videos in spoiler tags if the pages get too slow.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:41 pm
The Kramer

stuffp wrote:
Nice thread :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :D

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:41 pm
The Kramer

zwackerm wrote:
I would have to qualify my list since i only listen to pop.
Hey pop is music too. It has some representation here as well. :yes:

#49 coming up soonish.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:43 pm
Hold the door!

My list would probably have hardly any songs from before the late 90's. Not that I haven't listened to lots of classic songs from the 50's on, but I don't connect with much of it as much as I connect with stuff since my birth.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:47 pm
The Kramer

"Won't somebody get me off of this reef?"

49. "Badfish" by Sublime

I've never been a big fan of ska music. Not sure why its always annoyed me, but the fact that it does remains. And for the longest time, Sublime got caught up in this anti-ska sentiment. It really wasn't until I heard this song, from a cover band named after the song no less, that the tides started to shift towards me being pro-Sublime. And then in college they were probably the most played artist of me and my circle of friends. Since then, even though summertime is when the living is easy, spring has been the season to bust out Sublime. They complement the season so well, perhaps in part because of my own journey from cold to warm. "Badfish" is just a beautiful song though, telling the story of two souls making the best of a rotten world. Still, together they got no quarrels with god and no time to get old.

"When you grab a hold of me, tell me that I'll never be set free"

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:19 pm
Devil's Advocate

Cool! Interested to see the rest of the list

I probably would have too many of the same artists high...

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:08 pm
now we know

Yes, this is very interesting. Never seen a Top ## songs list before. "Toxicity" is a good track. I love System of a Down, but it would never feature in my Top 100, let alone Top 50. I will give them a listen when I have time (and when more are posted).

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

"If you like fish n gritz and all that pimp shit"

48. "ATLiens" by Outkast

For the longest of times, I would have had "BOB" in this spot. Its an onslaught of a million elephants both in beat and speed of rhymes. Yet recently I find that the hook of this song pops in my head almost daily. And yes I do like fish n gritz and all that pimp shit. It's also a much more relaxing song with a super smooth 90s beat produced by Outkast themselves. Despite being outcasts and aliens, the guys don't seem too angry as they explain why they're awesome enough to overcome those things. And they were right, only Outkast got in the way of Outkast taking over the music world.

"Cause I'm cooler than a polar bear's toenails"

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 am
The Kramer

And thanks for the interest from the interested! I hope it is entertaining for all.

I will try to do one more tonight but I might just fall asleep.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 am
The Kramer

"Come and get it, lost within the city limits"

47. "Tell Me Baby" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Initially hidden right in the middle of the ridiculously long Stadium Arcadium album (it eventually became a single) , "Tell Me Baby" stands tall atop the Chilis discography. This is mostly because it fuses everything I love about them. While John Frusciante is one of the all time great guitar players, theIr funky bass heavy songs are just as good and, in my opinion, the band is equal with or without. Yet how often did we get a funky Flea song with Frusciante shredding a solo at the end of it? "Can't Stop" is the only other I can think of and TMB is basically a better version of CS. Add in the irrestible hook and you have the recipe for one of the greatest songs ever. And lets not forget perhaps the funniest censored line ever, "life can be a little sweet, but life can be a little kitty".

"You're so lovely, are you lonely?"

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:09 am
The Kramer

Algren wrote:
Yes, this is very interesting. Never seen a Top ## songs list before. "Toxicity" is a good track. I love System of a Down, but it would never feature in my Top 100, let alone Top 50. I will give them a listen when I have time (and when more are posted).
Out of curiosity, what would your top System song be?

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:09 am
now we know

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Algren wrote:

"Streamline". It never fails to send frissons up the back of my neck. But it is not easy to choose a favourite.

"Chop Suey!" also comes to mind as one of my favourites probably because that was the song that got me into them in the first place. I love "Deer Dance", "Aerials", and "Forest" from Toxicity. "Know" is a sensational song, as are "Suggestions" and "Spiders". Pretty much all of Steal This Album! is sensational. Other than "Streamline", I love "Innervision", "Nüguns", "I-E-A-I-A-I-O", "Pictures", "Highway Song", and "Ego Brain". Fantastic.

I am often drawn to long tracks and final tracks from albums (not just with SOAD), so "Lost in Hollywood" is also a favourite of mine. It just happens to be at the end, but I feel its placement adds something to its impact. Also "Lonely Day", while not the final track or even particularly long, it's near the end and has that final song feel to it.

I cannot recall how many times I have listened to System of a Down, Toxicity, Steal This Album!, and Mezmerize. Your post has me revisiting them, so thank you.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I hope to God that you include more Chili Pepper songs in the remaining 46 because while I love "Tell Me Baby", it is not anywhere near their best work.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Algren wrote:
I hope to God that you include more Chili Pepper songs in the remaining 46 because while I love "Tell Me Baby", it is not anywhere near their best work.
Nobody has ever gotten my love for "Tell Me Baby", even the Chilis as they haven't played it either of the times I saw them. Back in 2006, the net thought me crazy for even listing it above "Dani California" and "Snow". :funny:

#46 up soon.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 pm
now we know

I don't know I could forget "Soil" from my System of a Down favourite tracks. Try playing that loud at home in the day time. :funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Algren wrote:
Nobody has ever gotten my love for "Tell Me Baby", even the Chilis as they haven't played it either of the times I saw them. Back in 2006, the net thought me crazy for even listing it above "Dani California" and "Snow". :funny:

#46 up soon.

It's better than "Dani California", but I wouldn't put it ahead of "Snow (Hey Oh)". None of these are the best songs from Jupiter or Mars, though. Well if you;re asking, "Turn It Again". ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

"So what do you say to somebody you hate?"

46. "Forgot About Dre" by Dr. Dre and Eminem

This is most definitely not a chill and relaxing hip-hop. It is all about anger and what that anger can bring to the hip hop game. And indeed most of the best rappers in history have had a chip on their shoulder that success just couldn't shake off. For Dre its all about the haters, people who doubt who he is and what he's done. He has a good reason for this as we will find out a bit later on (spoiler alert!). I would have told Dre to let it go, but then we might not have gotten this excellent Chronic 2001 album. And this song is just as much to brag about discovering Eminem, proving to the haters once and for all that his legacy is eternal. Eminem's chip was his skin color, but at this point he is still fully in his sociopathic Slim Shady alter ego. Em threatens to choke someone to death with bubble gum in one hilarious and disturbing line. He also has a mission to prove that he isn't just gonna be known for "My Name Is", and his next album would tell us just how insecure he was about that. But like Dre, if he had let those grudges go after getting paid, the world would have missed out. So whatever it takes to keep the fire I will support. The motherfuckers act like they forgot about Flava? Well fuck them!

"I'm still loco enough to choke you to death with a Charleston Chew"

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:57 pm
The Kramer

Algren wrote:
Algren wrote:

"Streamline". It never fails to send frissons up the back of my neck. But it is not easy to choose a favourite.

"Chop Suey!" also comes to mind as one of my favourites probably because that was the song that got me into them in the first place. I love "Deer Dance", "Aerials", and "Forest" from Toxicity. "Know" is a sensational song, as are "Suggestions" and "Spiders". Pretty much all of Steal This Album! is sensational. Other than "Streamline", I love "Innervision", "Nüguns", "I-E-A-I-A-I-O", "Pictures", "Highway Song", and "Ego Brain". Fantastic.

I am often drawn to long tracks and final tracks from albums (not just with SOAD), so "Lost in Hollywood" is also a favourite of mine. It just happens to be at the end, but I feel its placement adds something to its impact. Also "Lonely Day", while not the final track or even particularly long, it's near the end and has that final song feel to it.

I cannot recall how many times I have listened to System of a Down, Toxicity, Steal This Album!, and Mezmerize. Your post has me revisiting them, so thank you.
Good choices. People usually forget that Steal This Album even exists, but it stands tall with the rest and might even be better than Mesmerize/Hypnotize.

#45 coming soon

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm
The Kramer

"All you do is talk talk talk and walk the same way"

45. "Talk" by Against The Current

Against The Current is my most recent love of the music world and it should say alot that they are already penetrate this list. They absolutely dominated both my album and song of the year lists of 2016 with their official debut album, something I declared to be alt-pop perfection, but I'm going back to their Gravity EP for their best song, "Talk". Against the Current, like many of my favorite artists, make every one of their songs sound different. So while, on paper, "Talk" may come across as any ole pop-punk song, in the context of their discography it is quite special. Aside from that, "Talk" just gets me pumped up like few others. While debating whether it deserved to be on here I got so into the bridge that I must have scared my neighbors. "All you do is talk, all you do is Talk TAlk TALk TALK!" It certainly scared all the people around me at their show. Note; being the only adult male at their show was uncomfortable but ever so worth it.

"We both know that I know you better"

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 pm
Killing With Kindness

First time I've heard "Against The Current", they rock, most impressive.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

BJ wrote:
First time I've heard "Against The Current", they rock, most impressive.
:thumbsup: Indeed.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next