Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 The Flava'd Fifty: Greatest Songs 
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty: Greatest Songs
Derail away. The fewer videos on a page the better. :P

One more for the night? Ah why not? For the Watch.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 am
The Kramer

"Words like violence break the silence"

38. "Enjoy The Silence" by Depeche Mode

Well that sure is a weird video. I had never seen it before. Anyways, I came to discover Depeche Mode through one of KROQs Almost Acoustic Christmas show. Even though I did not visit Los Angeles until last year, that station was inluential for me with these Webcasts. Everyone does them now, but they were a big deal back then and if Depeche were headlining then they must be damn good. And yes they were! I connected with the whole Violator album, but this song in particular has stuck with me through the years. Depeche Mode made a living off their hauntingly deep vocals that mesmerized you alongside their synth rock. Yet "Enjoy The Silence" has such beautiful lyrics and sounds that it breaks you away from their Orwelian-world and your own. I imagine myself on a cliff, just outside of a cave, right after it has stopped raining and just enjoying the relief of it all.

"Vows are spoken to be broken"

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 am
The Kramer

Also ya'll are free to use this thread after mine is done but I think itd be more fun for everybody to have their own. Your list, your call though. :P

I'd like to get two in before I go to work today so lets do this!!

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:28 pm
The Kramer

"Waking up feeling good and limber"

37. "One Big Holiday" by My Morning Jacket

This one does have an official video, but they shortened the song by a minute for whatever reason. Though the the lyric video also works since Jon Jone's lyrics are pretty hard to make out. Not that the dozen or lines in this song are necassary for enjoyment. For the longest however I would have had "Evil Urges" (my introduction to the band) or maybe even "Run Thru" as my favorite MMJ songs. The live show changed all that though. It was such a rockin good time and it cemented Holiday as not only the best Jacket song, but one of the all time greatest. One Big Holiday is a kind of tribute to "Freebird", but unlike Freebird it doesn't fuck around for 5 minutes and just gets us right to the good stuff (all the love to Freebird too though, it was my high school class song.)

"If we houler loud and make our way, we'd all live one big holiday"

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 pm
Killing With Kindness

excellent, two of my favorite songs back to back

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I might have spent too much time eclipse watching, so now I'm blind and short on time. Really cool though and I think I can work #36 in here before leaving.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:55 pm
The Kramer

"Give me that Sunday school answer, repent yourself away"

36. "Never Again" by Kelly Clarkson

Kelly won American Idol and that was a big deal at the time, but it wasn't till a few years later that her smash hit Breakaway album made her the superstar she is today. Kelly's response to all this fame and success was ... to get really pissed off? Her ghost is trying to kill someone in the video! Unexpected, but in my opinion it lead to the best work she has ever done. Never Again takes these feelings and unleashes them back upon us even stronger, like Kevin Bacon in X-Men: First Class. It can be both a song to get hyped with or a song to feel shitty about the world with. Kelly would go back to Max Martin type albums (which are good too) after poor album sales and a cancelled tour, but I'll always most fondly remember her December.

"Bet it sucks to see my face everywhere"

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 pm
Hold the door!

I've never heard of any of these songs.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:40 pm
Killing With Kindness

zwackerm wrote:

might try expanding your music listening catalogue, lots of great songs in every genre.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

This list started off better and has gotten into songs/artists I've not heard of - though I do plan to go through this thread and listen to them all soon.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Fantastic thread. Kudos for starting this!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:57 am
The Kramer

zwackerm wrote:
Well its definitely been favoring recent artists so far so maybe you'll find something to like in there. Definitely check out Against The Current atleast.

#35 in a few minutes

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:00 am
Pure Phase

zwackerm doesn't know what a depeche mode is, but it sounds kinky to him.

I have compiled a list, so put me in the queue. Or I'll get restless and start another thread and unveil my list when I want because I am an asshole. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:05 am
The Kramer

"I'm the one without a soul, I'm the one with this big fucking hole"

35. "Wish" by Nine Inch Nails

Here is another song that I heard performed by another band for the first time. Twas during Linkin Park's encore for their Meteora tour and I just had to look it up when I got home. Two years later, still in high school, I was asked to give my all time favorite song and named Wish as the one. This song and the whole Broken album even are pretty much vessels for teenage angst. This is also the most mosh pit-worthy NIN song there is. But I think what connects us to Wish then and now is the absolutely awesome call and response with Trent's vocals and the guitars. I dare you to not get hyped up while listening.

"Wish for something real in this world full of you"

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:19 am
Pure Phase

Cool choice.

I would argue "Last" is the most mosh-worthy NIN song, though.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:23 am
Pure Phase

Flava'd, I admire how you are writing a paragraph or two for every song, succinctly explaining your appreciation and/or how and when you discovered the song. Writing on the subject of music is tough, I find.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:27 am
now we know

David wrote:
I'll get restless and start another thread and unveil my list when I want

DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE, DAVID. Wait your turn. :chicken:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:30 am
Profile WWW
now we know

1. Flav'd
2. Algren
3. zwackerm
4. Shack
5. BJ
6. stuffp
7. David

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:31 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

"I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless"

34. "Wish You Were Here" by Incubus

This song is just bursting with imagery and a perfect harmony to complement it. Brandon is one of my favorite and he really brings you onto the beach with him, just far away to have your own experience. And while this song is obviously the death of a goodnfriend and the lifelong grief that comes with it, Wish You Were Here is also bursting with hope. Hope for the future, if I can be happy in this moment I can be happy in another. There's a great moment in the video, as the final chorus starts with Brandon on the ground singing by himself, he rises right as the rest of the band comes back into the song. So even while Incubus are as far down as you can get, they still take us with them back to outer space.

"I'm counting UFOs, I signal them with my lighter"

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:11 am
Pure Phase

I am a casual Incubus listener at the most, but this is my favorite song of theirs.

At live shows, I believe they briefly segue into a cover of the Pink Floyd song of the same name. Or at least have on a few occasions.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:34 am
The Kramer

David wrote:
I am a casual Incubus listener at the most, but this is my favorite song of theirs.

At live shows, I believe they briefly segue into a cover of the Pink Floyd song of the same name. Or at least have on a few occasions.
Yeah they played about a minute of it (the opening riff and chorus) at the end when I saw them last month.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 pm
The Kramer

"If you could flick the switch and open your third eye"

33. "Uprising" by Muse

I guess Muse also decided to cut out a minute for their official. Pretty lame since the beginning of this song is so damn good. Oh well I won't hold it against them. Anyways, I'm not the type of guy who is ready to take the streets in a Guy Fawkes mask to "take the power back". Quite a few of my favorite artists had songs like this in the early/mid 2000s, strongly protesting our intolerable president and regime (lol foresight). But by the time of Uprising, Barack Obama is president and everything was supposed to be good now. In Muse's world its not so simple though, and maybe they are right about the party of our leader being meaningless. Lets not forget that aliens invaded the world on their previous album and our leaders didn't do a damn thing about it. So yeah, in the context of us having to bow to our alien, corrupted human and maybe even robotic overlords, revolution starts to seem more appealing. Uprising, while also being the best international fight song since "Seven Nation Army" is also about not becoming complacent. We have to be ready for the worst and this song should help keep people on their toes, on both sides of the ideological equator.

"And we will be victorious"

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:28 pm
The Kramer

David wrote:
Flava'd, I admire how you are writing a paragraph or two for every song, succinctly explaining your appreciation and/or how and when you discovered the song. Writing on the subject of music is tough, I find.
Music usually helps my stream of conscious writing styles anyways, so the two go hand in hand. And while with movie reviews I often worry about hitting the same points as everyone else, I can usually share a personal experience with music.

I should have time for one more before work.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:43 pm
The Kramer

"We're only young and naive still, we require certain skills"

32. "Young Blood" by The Naked And Famous

My introduction this tune came from it being sampled in MGKs song "Half Naked Almost Famous". Despite MGK being a fellow Clevelander, I frickin hate that song to this day (and many others by him though "Wild Boyz" is still kinda dope). So when I was reintroduced to Young Blood a few years later, through a live performance on last.fm, a strange deja vu occured, but one that was buried by how great the song is. Perhaps it is Alisa's great voice or the addictive hook that elevates this above so many other similar tracks produced these days. But I think its the power hidden beneath the synth that does it for me. Its hard to tell on iphone speakers, but it really comes out when listening on headphones and I can and will jam.

"The bittersweet betwen my teeth"

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:58 pm
now we know

Kudos on the Muse inclusion. You can draw whatever reference/comparison you want, but for me it is not about Trump or Obama or actually anything American whatsoever. But I guess that's the beauty of music.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next