Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-1) 
The Kramer

Post More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-1)
Previous decade winners:

90s: #1 Cream - Wu-Tang Clan
#2 Forty Six and Two - Tool
#3 Hurt - Nine Inch Nails
#4 New York State Of Mind - Nas
#5 Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis

80s: #1 Creeping Death - Metallica
#2 Lullaby - The Cure
#3 Paradise City - Guns N Roses
#4 How Will I Know - Whitney Houston
#5 Where Is My Mind - Pixies

And now it's time for the 70s to take their turn at it. What a time to be alive. While the country was arguably in decline following the mammoth highs of the 40s (defeating the Nazis), 50s (becoming a superpower) and 60s (putting a Man on the Moon), the 70s are best known for things like losing the Vietnam War and Watergate. I'm sure the rest of the world wasn't doing so hot either.

However, the entertainment industry was taking off. Many people would agree that the 70s are the best decade for rock music. Many would say that it isn't even close. You all know I love modern music and find stuff that no one else has heard of, but when it comes to popular rock it is hard to argue against the 70s. The 60s obviously started the rock revolution, but it peaked in the first half of the decade and then evolved in the second half into subgenres like alternative, punk, metal and disco. Yes, I'm counting disco. It's cringe to watch videos of disco people's hair and dance moves, but dammit if the songs don't still hold up. Hip-hop did not exist quite yet, but the very end of the decade started to popularize the rap style of singing.

The movies is where the business really changed. I've often been scolded for saying that movies didn't become good until Jaws. Sure, there was plenty of good stuff before that (Kubrick would kick me in the nuts and then refilm it 100 more times to prove that), but I feel like Jaws just changed the idea of what a movie could be and obviously the audiences felt the same way. Box office grosses exploded after and those trends have carried on to this day.

This isn't a movie list though. It's a celebration of the decade's best music. So let's get on with it! As per usual, all songs that have been featured on previous Flava'd Fiftys are disqualified. However, with alot of the bands on here, I actually have a new favorite from what I listed in my greatest of all time edition six years ago. The #1 song, which is a no-doubt-about-it that for some reason was not on that list, has catapulted over the highest ranked song (Let It Be) to truly become the best song of the 1970s.

(Some, but not all) Close calls coming up soon.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon May 08, 2023 2:36 am, edited 27 times in total.

Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:47 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate
I haven't finalized the fifty yet, so there will be more close calls than this, but here are a bunch of songs I like that will not be making the list. And by a bunch I mean so many that I'm not gonna even be able to write blurbs for them.

Disco Star Wars - Meco
Lola - The Kinks
Hooked On A Feeling - Blue Suede
I Want You Back - The Jackson 5
Ladies Night - Kool and the Gang
Black Magic Woman - Santana
Mississippi Queen - Mountain
Knockin On Heavens Door - Bob Dylan (though I like the GnR version more)
Dream On - Aerosmith
I Will Survive - Frank the Dog from Men in Black
No More Mr Nice Guy - Alice Cooper
Slow Ride - Foghat
Just What I Needed - The Cars
Old Time Rock n Roll - Bob Seger
Love Rollercoaster - Ohio Players
Do It Again - Steely Dan
Shaft - Isaac Hayes
Its So Easy - Linda Ronstadt
Jumping Someone Elses Train - The Cure
One Step Beyond - Madness
Overkill - Motorhead
Cruel to be kind - Nick Lowe (though I like the Sloan version more)
Black betty - Ram Jam
Funk 49 - James Gang
Love Train - The O'Jays
Imagine - John Lennon

Next up: More close calls!

Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:40 pm
The Kramer

More close calls, we'll call these The Hardest Cuts:

Hair of the Dog - Nazareth (aka Now Youre Messing With A Son Of A Bitch)
Rock With You - Michael Jackson (Thriller and Bad are way better than Off The Wall but this song is still dope)
Bang A Gong (Get It On) - Trex (Mambo Sun is good too)
Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy (they also do the boys are back in town)
Cherry Bomb - The Runaways (mmm Dakota and Kristen)

Also; people I've "discovered" (aka I knew the songs but didn't know who sang them) while listening to 70s playlists and will check out more later on:

The Stranglers
The Damned
Urban Verbs
Television

I still have four more songs to cut, but I'll hold those in reserve for now just in case I messed up and one of the top 50 songs came out earlier or later than I thought. I'll also post any close calls I forgot about later on after the list is done.

The real list will begin ... either later today or tomorrow.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:24 pm
Devil's Advocate

Hooked on a Feeling didn't make it? GOTG can make a comeback with Mr Blue Sky and Brandy though.

Linda Ronstadt was so hot. I had no idea until googling her after the Last Of Us episode.

Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:18 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
Hooked on a Feeling didn't make it? GOTG can make a comeback with Mr Blue Sky and Brandy though.

Linda Ronstadt was so hot. I had no idea until googling her after the Last Of Us episode.
MBS not my favorite ELO song. :P

I'll start this now, but just for a couple!

Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:43 pm
The Kramer

I've had my share of sand kicked in my face, but I've come through

50. We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions by Queen

-We kick things off with a twofer! I'll admit, if this had been made ten or more years ago than Queen would have been a bit higher up, probably with their megahit Bohemian Rhapsody. I've soured on them a bit since the movie came out. Call it overexposure. Yet it would be crazy to leave them off the countdown entirely right? Of course it would be, thus we're left with this combo. It really should be one song though. I can't imagine one without the other. A fight song, motivating yourself through whatever adversity you're facing and then the rewarding elation that comes from victory. There's no better feeling.

Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:49 pm
The Kramer

White on white translucent black capes back on the rack

49. Bela Legosi's Dead by Bauhaus

-I didn't know about Bauhaus when I did my 80s countdown or they would have made that too. Probably with Double Dare. Bela Legosi's is probably their most known song though so I'm glad it found a place here. And I'm glad I knew about it before seeing The Hunger so I could be like "hey I know those guys" to no one in particular. Bauhaus are credited for helping to create the goth movement that took over in the 80s. And what could be more goth than the death of the undead? Very haunting and creepy song. It should be part of any Halloween playlist.

Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:55 pm
The Kramer

You shoulda heard me just around midnight

48. Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones

-This song has been cancelled so it is a bit hard to talk about, but whatever, I still like it. I guess I have a thing for songs that sound happy go lucky on the outside but are really dark and disturbing. I mean, these sort of people probably were in that kind of mood while doing ... the thing. Besides, even though Stones get a ton of accolades for their 70s work, most especially the Exile On Main Street Album, almost all of my favorites are from the 60s.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:00 am
The Kramer

A few heavy hitters already off the board! That's gonna be it for now cause I'm hungry. The pace will be swift though as I'd like to finish on Thursday.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:03 am
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-48)
Rather than my usual sets of 3-6 songs which takes me about 30 minutes to do each time, I'm just gonna posts songs intermittenly through the day. We shall see if that makes things go faster or slower.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:16 pm
The Kramer

The change will do you good, I always knew it would

47. Damaged Goods by Gang of Four

-I originally had this in close calls, with the reasoning being; I just found out about these guys not that long ago and thought it was too soon for them to appear here. Well, fuck that, cause I changed my mind. Damaged Goods (and every GoF I've heard so for) is way too cool of a song to leave out here. You can just hear the entire 2000s alt-rock scene being created in these three and a half minutes. And this came out in 1979! So I guess I wasn't the only one late to the party here haha.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:21 pm
The Kramer

Uh huh, uh huh

46. That's The Way (I Like It) by KC and The Sunshine Band

-About ten years ago, KC and the Sunshine Band played what was then known as the Moondog Coronation Ball. I said to myself (and others) 'who the fuck is KC and the Sunshine Band?' Then they started to play, starting out with Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your booty. Hey I know that song. And that's how the entire set went. These folks are responsible for like every funkpop hit in the middle of the decade. Hell, even this album also has I wanna put on, my my my my my boogie shoes and Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight. All those would have been fine choices for this list, ranked above Thats The Why on Apple's most played list. And thats fair, this song just has the same eight words repeated over and over again. But damn is it fun. And I believe every great disco/funk song should have a killer opening that just puts people in the right mood right away.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:28 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-46)
In and around the lake, mountains come out of the sky and they stand there

45. Roundabout by Yes

-Plenty of other prog-rock bands popped up in the 70s, a few being seen as more significant than others. I feel like Yes is there for the music deep-divers, you don't really hear them in movies anymore but some remember. And since this song came out in 1971, it has a case to make that it really influenced the likes of Pink Floyd and Rush, not to mention the likes of Tool (especially Schism) who would come later on. The song itself is about smoking weed on a road trip, which I can relate to. Though we don't have any of these roundabouts in America. We'll drive several miles in the wrong direction to turn another way thank you very much.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:20 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-46)
In between what I find is pleasing and I'm feeling fine

44. Heart Of Glass by Blondie

-I've always really liked this song whenever I hear it in movies or at an arena or whever. I never knew it was performed by Blondie until just recently though! Had always assumed they were known for Call Me and only Call Me. Did you know they also made One Way Or Another, the song Piper sings on the bar in Coyote Ugly? Crazy. Well, anyway, this is another song that makes in on here not only for its own merits, but for the way it influenced the people who would become my favorite bands later on. Without it, there's probably no Metric, no The Sounds, no Halsey, etc... While there's definitely some disco in here, it's the stem of the alt-pop new wave movement. I guess it was originally more of a chill disco song, but it was rearranged into the bop it became. Just like Call Me Maybe. So we can add another favorite artists to the influenced list. I wonder if list-makers in 50 years will be doing the same thing with her. "I had no idea she did Cut to the Feeling!"

Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:30 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-44)
Like a fool I fell in love you, it turned my world upside down

43. Layla by Derek and the Dominos

-D and the D are one of Eric Clapton's many bands. I think I prefer Cream overall, but this is probably the best song he ever wrote. It's probably best known for the piano-driven instrumental in the second half of the song, which was expertly used by Mr. Scorsese in the 'everybody got whacked' scene in Goodfellas. Don't lie and say that fucking ice truck does not pop up in your mind every time this song comes on. I like the first half better though. The guitar riff is just aces. And apparently there's a ton of history in this song too. The members of the band formed after helping George Harrison make his first solo album ... oh and this whole song is about Eric coveting George Harrison's wife. Wild times. It worked though. George and Layla (or whatever her real name is) got divorced a few years after this and Eric swooped in to become husband #2. Good for you bro.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:01 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-44)
Love isn't always on time

42. Hold The Line by Toto

-Toto are another band where I had gone most of my life assuming they only made one song (its gonna take alot to tear me away from youuuuuu.) And honestly, I don't even like Africa that much. Played out to the max thanks to being covered so many times. So I wasn't too excited to see them open for Journey until someone told me 'Actually they do have more than one song.' Insert the surprised Pikachu meme! And not only that, one of their songs was one that I actually really liked, just never knew who sang it. It's so much different than Africa, but I think that just goes to show how volatile pop music was at this time, as only four years could produce an entirely different scene.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-42)
Both the fast and slow parts of Layla are great

Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:51 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-42)
You get a shiver in the dark, its raining in the park, but meantime south of the river, you stop, and you hold everything

41. Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits

-I always thought of Dire Straits as an 80s band, one defined by the bombastic sounds of Money for Nothing, but it turns their best song was released in the late 70s! And it totally fits the vibe. Sultans of Swing is one of the coolest song titles ever and the song itself lives up to it. Just a cool song with cool guitar riffs and solos. It makes me feel like a dude who walks into a bar just as the sun is setting, puts his sunglasses onto his shirt color and struts right to the bar where they say 'its on the house.' It's a traditional rock song on the surface but inside its dying to be something else. Which was a big theme when it came to the later half of the decade.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:16 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-41)
Got an urge, got a surge, and its out of control

40. Uncontrollable Urge by Devo

-Also known as yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. Devo are mostly known for their comedic lyrics, like with their biggest hit Whip It (which made the 80s list too.) But their music was huge for the burgeoning alternative rock game. They don't get enough credit as influencers. It really gets you going too. I probably mentioned it before, but the Devo set at RiotFest 2021 was one of my all time favorites. We got the circle pit going for Whip It but by the time Uncontrollable Urge came on near the end it had gone from an ironic pit to a real one. These guys hold the spirit of punk inside their goofy space suits.

Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:27 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-40)
My motto's always been when its right its right, why wait until the middle of the cold dark night?

39. Afternoon Delight by Starlight Vocal Band

-This is a song about having sex in the daytime. Which honestly does kinda make sense. At night you're all grimy from whatever else you did during the day. Things don't smell as fresh as they might during the daytime, shortly after a shower. Anyway, I first discovered this song the same way all Millenials did - through Anchorman. And then again shortly after with Arrested Development. The AD joke was pretty funny, but the Anchorman scene is just iconic. I love lamp.

edit - It was also on the Starsky and Hutch soundtrack. Did Judd Apatow just hear this song for the first time around then or something?

Mon May 01, 2023 1:41 am
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-39)
I was gonna post one more yesterday but fell asleep. We're still on a good pace though and should finish on Thursday as originally intended. Will start back up again soon with song #38!

Mon May 01, 2023 2:08 pm
The Kramer

Hit top speed, but I'm still movin much too slow, I feel so good, I'm so alive, I hear my song playin on the radio

38. Detroit Rock City by Kiss

-i'd say that every kid has the same experience when discovering Kiss for the first time. You see their makeup, their outfits, their pyrotechnic stage show, the rumors that their name is an acronym for Knights In Satan's Service. Then you hear 'Rock N Roll All Nite' and are like ... really? Is this it? This pop song about partying? Maybe it was pretty extreme back in the day, but by today's standards Kiss are relatively tame lol. Not trying to hate on RNRAN btw, I like that song alot and it was part of Guitar Hero 3 which I've mentioned was very important in my musical upbringing. I just think Detroit Rock City hits a bit harder from a more refined band. And I've liked how musicians from Detroit are so damn proud of their city despite its reputation among the rest of the country. This song is almost a victory lap for the band. Now they get to choose to spend their time in Detroit rather than just be stuck there because its where their parents lived.

Mon May 01, 2023 2:24 pm
The Kramer

Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird

37. Surrender by Cheap Trick

-For some reason I always thought this song was a lot darker than it actually is. Like it starts with the parents giving advice and ends with the parents strung out on heroin or something. They just seem a little weird after all. But nope, its much more relatable than all that. It's just about a kid who thinks his parents are squares until one day he realizes that they have more in common than they originally thought. Basically, the classic rock phase of any growing music fan will bring them closer to their parents than they were before. That wasn't so true back then, as classic rock can't be classic if its happening right now, but it has helped make this song timeless.

Mon May 01, 2023 2:41 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-37)
Good picks in Sultans and Surrender

Mon May 01, 2023 2:47 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-37)
It don't make no difference to me, baby, everybody's had to fight to be free

36. Refugee by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

-Fun fact: Tom Petty is the only one who ranked on all three of the 70s, 80s and 90s lists! The Cure were the only other ones who had a shot, but they got stuck in the close calls this time around (though Lullaby placing at #2 on the 80s list is much higher than any of the Petty songs.) Petty has an awesome when it comes to this song "People are saying that we're the future of rock n roll. I don't wanna be the future. I wanna be the present." Now that's a 70s attitude if I've ever heard one! Grunge music and emo weren't quite born yet, but the hopeless future attitude was there before being swiftly swept away in the 80s and returning again in the 90s.

Mon May 01, 2023 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next