Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mumford & Sons: yay or nay? 

Yay or nay?
Yay 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
Nay 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
Who cares, eh? 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Mumford & Sons: yay or nay? 
Forum General

Post Re: Mumford & Sons: yay or nay?
Way nay.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:34 am
New Server, Same X

A little pro and con on the new songs.

Pro: I like these two songs. I don't think they are the best work of the band, but as far as the drastic change in sound, it's hardly the worst thing in the world.

Con: If this is how they sounded from the start, I never would have noticed them in a million years. Because it's Mumford and Sons, I enjoy these two songs. But without the sound of Babel and Sigh No More, I would likely hear the songs but would never have cared to find out about the band.

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:53 pm
now we know

I prefer their old sound. Now they just sound like all the boring pop-rock bands out there; the ones that I have no interest in whatsoever.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:14 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:18 pm
now we know

Felipuo-a!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
Felipuo-a!

(chuckle)

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:20 pm
New Server, Same X

Having now listened to all of Wilder Mind, I can say it's not a lackluster effort at all, but I definitely miss the old sounds. At least half of the tracks are standouts, particularly on the second half. And I'm not one who's against an artist changing their sound. One of their biggest influences is surely Bruce Springsteen, who's made a career out of rarely doing more than two albums in a row that sound similar, but he has conquered any genre of music that he's tackled.

On the reverse of that, Sigh No More is a solid effort, but the heart and soul of that sound is fully realized with Babel. Perhaps Wilder Mind is just a valiant effort that will lead to a stellar 4th album.

With one full listen so far, I can say that, like Taylor Swift, they have abandoned the sound that got them here. And, like Taylor Swift, it is a very good album with some great tracks. Unlike Taylor Swift, they aren't going to have a lot of goodwill from diehard fans who aren't open to a new sound. They're leaving behind fans of the folk-tinged first two CDs but it's not strong enough to attract non-fans. And now they compete with the likes of Coldplay and Kings of Leon for the genre, whereas before, they pretty much stood atop their field.

Anyway, long story short, I do like it a lot. May end up loving it. But I miss the old Sons.

Sun May 10, 2015 10:42 am
New Server, Same X

So I've been listening to many of the tracks quite a bit since buying it last week. Aside from The Wolf (which suffers from being forgettable and an awful choice for a single) and Snake Eyes (probably my least favorite of the three albums), there's way too much that's really, really good to disregard the whole thing as an unwelcome diversion into electric guitars and the like. Some of the songs are vintage Mumford and Sons, especially Tompkins Square Park, Cold Arms, Broad-Shouldered Beasts.

I may have turned my opinion around a bit, from a passive OK to hesitant enthusiasm. Their sound is there. It's just buried underneath some new toys.

Tue May 19, 2015 3:46 pm
Top Poster

gave it a couple listens but it's not grabbing me, need them to return to banjos

Sat May 30, 2015 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Any Mumford fans listen to Delta?

I'm not the whole way through it, but they sure didn't see any criticisms of Wilder Mind and go back to their "roots". If anything, they've moved further away. I don't hate the album. But it makes me appreciate Wilder Mind more.

Something I said in this thread still rings true: if I heard Wilder Mind or Delta first, I never would have started listening to Mumford & Sons.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2