Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Hedge funds vs Retail traders (Gamestop, AMC, etc) 
Top Poster

Post Re: Hedge funds vs Retail traders (Gamestop, AMC, etc)
I commend Trump’s market manipulation to make overall stock market perform great, I am against manipulation to make the market perform worse as is happening now, and each different sector is just making it worse like gang warfare.

Shorters intentionally trying to make struggling businesses fail is bad. Short squeeze causing the rest of market to fall (since institutions have to sell other stocks en masse) is also bad, particularly as it is starting to look like China has a part in causing this chaos for US with propping up AMC and also Reddit’s continual involvement. Andthen Robinhood and other institutions halting purchases just for retail traders is even worse, destroying confidence in the whole system and likely resulting in major crash later on.

The media and internet censorship against hydroxychloroquine+zync and non-reporting of retracted false studies against them until after the election has been the greatest travesty. It’s not a miracle 100% cure against Covid just like the vaccines aren’t, but just like Vitamin D if you had it in your system early on, you are less likely to develop as severe symptoms.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/0 ... rosecuted/

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

:wacko:

Your response is totally unrelated to my post about Trump awarding a $765 million government loan to a financially distressed company with no experience in drug manufacturing and the unusual movement in the stock price before and around the announcement.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:28 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

China, again?

Anyway... I honestly see this chaos being potentially healthy. It may be creating problems right now, and they may escalate for awhile. But as long as no major players are found to be behind this (simply resulting in some fines, penalties or what have you), and it's just regular folk banding together to take on Wall Street, then once the hearings, trials, and investigations play out, it's going to cause (hopefully) a dramatic change in how the market works from being a manipulative one to a more "free" one.

Robinhood was playing the manipulation game all day. After allowing their customers to trade on the targeted stocks again at open this morning, every few hours (typically when the prices would start to climb) they'd further limit the number of shares people could buy. It ended with only "allowing" people to buy 1 (ONE) share of GME after only allowing just 5 to begin with at open, 10 I think for AME, 50 (it was limited to 750 at open) of NAKD, etc..

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

No wrongdoing found, and loan got cancelled anyway, also looks like they're also a target of short sellers:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan ... stock-pop/

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Double post.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:45 pm
The Kramer

How is stock shorting even legal? You’re selling shit that you don’t actually have. If that isn’t some billionaire bullshit then I don’t know what is.

I started use Chase today, which is nice since they can immediately confirm I have the money and didn’t halt anything yesterday, but they don’t have a sexy app like Robinhood. I think I’ll use RH for browsing but never gonna put another dollar into after what they pulled yesterday. Just have to wait for what I own to hit a year so I don’t get hit with that capital gains.

Overall was down 1000+ today (mostly on Tesla) but I’ll happily take those losses if it means the hedges are losing billions.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:46 pm
Devil's Advocate

I don't really have a problem with any of the actions of the redditors, Wall Street or Robin Hood. The redditors were doing it legally, Wall Street knew the risk of heavily shorted companies like Gamestop and AMC when they invested and if they don't have enough breathing room to wait this out that's their problem. The price for RobinHood should be that they just messed up their brand, a lot of people are going to use their competitors instead. The negative consequences would be if the government picks sides which is probably what they're going to do.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:53 pm
Top Poster

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
How is stock shorting even legal? You’re selling shit that you don’t actually have. If that isn’t some billionaire bullshit then I don’t know what is.

I started use Chase today, which is nice since they can immediately confirm I have the money and didn’t halt anything yesterday, but they don’t have a sexy app like Robinhood. I think I’ll use RH for browsing but never gonna put another dollar into after what they pulled yesterday. Just have to wait for what I own to hit a year so I don’t get hit with that capital gains.

Overall was down 1000+ today (mostly on Tesla) but I’ll happily take those losses if it means the hedges are losing billions.

I think you can transfer everything or partial from Robinhood to Chase without needing to do any selling/capital gains, though there is a $75 transfer charge from RH which I’m not sure if Chase would help you pay off (like some other brokers, which I just scheduled the transfer to from RH today
). I think there is a high chance Robinhood goes out of business, and I’m not too sure how it works with SIPC if you’ll get your stocks or specific day cash value back and how delayed it would be, or if SIPC will even still be around.

I’d rather TSLA be up instead and market be stable, and it kind of frightens me to realize TSLA growing so much so ridiculously fast was also heavily contributed by this same short squeeze (when they were formerly the most shorted stock), maybe moreso than other business factors.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Shack wrote:
I don't really have a problem with any of the actions of the redditors, Wall Street or Robin Hood. The redditors were doing it legally, Wall Street knew the risk of heavily shorted companies like Gamestop and AMC when they invested and if they don't have enough breathing room to wait this out that's their problem. The price for RobinHood should be that they just messed up their brand, a lot of people are going to use their competitors instead. The negative consequences would be if the government picks sides which is probably what they're going to do.

Free and fair trade vs free and fair election.

Wall Street shorting more than 100% of GameStop = tabulation of ballots that were illegally included
Retailer traders disrupting Wall Street = January 6 protestors disrupting Washington
Robin Hood preventing purchases = big tech censorship

Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Corpse wrote:
China, again?

Anyway... I honestly see this chaos being potentially healthy. It may be creating problems right now, and they may escalate for awhile. But as long as no major players are found to be behind this (simply resulting in some fines, penalties or what have you), and it's just regular folk banding together to take on Wall Street, then once the hearings, trials, and investigations play out, it's going to cause (hopefully) a dramatic change in how the market works from being a manipulative one to a more "free" one.

Robinhood was playing the manipulation game all day. After allowing their customers to trade on the targeted stocks again at open this morning, every few hours (typically when the prices would start to climb) they'd further limit the number of shares people could buy. It ended with only "allowing" people to buy 1 (ONE) share of GME after only allowing just 5 to begin with at open, 10 I think for AME, 50 (it was limited to 750 at open) of NAKD, etc..

Robinhood is clearly in the wrong here restricting stock purchases for no plausible reasons.

As far as this goes, I am afraid the little guy will get hurt at the end of this buying frenzy. Professional day traders at investment firms are usually the ones who benefit the most. They sell when the price is about to peak. Retail traders are usually the last ones out and some take heavy losses.

Also, I am curious about the structural elements of the stock market. Has it ever occurred to anyone that the stock market, as it exists now, was built on rules and regulations and insurance policies as its foundational blocks which the government and institutional actors together draft and guarantee in maintaining market stability? This hierarchy is a feature, not a bug of the capitalist system. It is this creation and nurture of stability that induces public confidence and entices a large population to participate in the market.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:45 pm
Keeping it Light

Alex Y. wrote:
Free and fair trade vs free and fair election.

Wall Street shorting more than 100% of GameStop = tabulation of ballots that were illegally included
Retailer traders disrupting Wall Street = January 6 protestors disrupting Washington
Robin Hood preventing purchases = big tech censorship

To some extent the motions are similar, but the big difference is that retail traders' actions are legal and jan 6 protestors insurrection on the capitol was illegal.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:46 pm
Defeats all expectations

I guess it lets people bet against a stock by driving down the price (sell first, buy later) without boosting it up first (buy first, sell later). Makes price manipulation easier.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:13 pm
Top Poster

Corpse wrote:
China, again?

The Democrats’ response to election fraud is to propose legislation to legalize cheating methods in all states such as allowing ballot harvesting and forbidding states from checking voters for matching citizen IDs to vote.

So I’m thinking any new proposed government legislation will make it less “free” for retail traders, such as legalizing some of these Robinhood and broker manipulations against retail traders, while the hedge funds/elitists/swamp continue to get priority access and play by different rules.

Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:35 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Alex Y. wrote:

I think you can transfer everything or partial from Robinhood to Chase without needing to do any selling/capital gains, though there is a $75 transfer charge from RH which I’m not sure if Chase would help you pay off (like some other brokers, which I just scheduled the transfer to from RH today
). I think there is a high chance Robinhood goes out of business, and I’m not too sure how it works with SIPC if you’ll get your stocks or specific day cash value back and how delayed it would be, or if SIPC will even still be around.

I’d rather TSLA be up instead and market be stable, and it kind of frightens me to realize TSLA growing so much so ridiculously fast was also heavily contributed by this same short squeeze (when they were formerly the most shorted stock), maybe moreso than other business factors.
Hmm not a bad idea. I’ll call Chase on Monday to see what they can do.

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:32 pm
The Kramer

Alex Y. wrote:

Hmm not a bad idea. I’ll call Chase on Monday to see what they can do.

Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:12 pm
Romosexual!

HOLD THE LINE YOU TARDS!!! DONT SELL!!! BUY AND HOLD! BUY AND HOLD!!!

Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:46 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Monday will be very important for the long-term of this.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Anyone want to make sense of what’s going on with silver?

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:58 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

BUY! BUY! BUY! AMC & GME! AND HOLD YOU FREAKING TARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex Y. wrote:
Anyone want to make sense of what’s going on with silver?

Reddit lol just like GameSpot

Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:09 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'm all for them boosting silver. Not going to put any money into myself, but the husband has collected all manners of silver his entire life, from coins to dish trays that somehow end up in thrift stores somewhat often.

I don't even know how many silver quarters he has. It must be in the hundreds for certain though since a surprising number of people don't know that quarters dated 1964 or earlier are silver and pay with them, so he's exchanged them out at his jobs over the years. And he still goes to the bank to buy rolls of quarters at the bank(s) to find more silver ones (we've even gotten full rolls of silver quarters in the past), and he just switches them out with regular quarters and deposits those back.

One silver quarter is now valued at $5.23 due to this spike (~$29 for five or an ounce).

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Corpse wrote:
I'm all for them boosting silver. Not going to put any money into myself, but the husband has collected all manners of silver his entire life, from coins to dish trays that somehow end up in thrift stores somewhat often.

I don't even know how many silver quarters he has. It must be in the hundreds for certain though since a surprising number of people don't know that quarters dated 1964 or earlier are silver and pay with them, so he's exchanged them out at his jobs over the years. And he still goes to the bank to buy rolls of quarters at the bank(s) to find more silver ones (we've even gotten full rolls of silver quarters in the past), and he just switches them out with regular quarters and deposits those back.

One silver quarter is now valued at $5.23 due to this spike (~$29 for five or an ounce).

SMART MAN! :thumbsup: I hope it makes y'all ALL THE MONEY!

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:18 pm
Top Poster

Seems like this weekend all of a sudden all these anti-silver discussion too. I can’t tell anymore if buying silver is hurting or helping these institutions.

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

WSB says the silver surge is fake and to focus on gamestop. I think everyone is looking for the next GME forgetting that we were supposed to hold until 1,000.

But hey, as noted above, I’m certainly not the one to critique people for selling too early.

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:49 pm
Romosexual!

I had 100+ shares of GME that I sold back in September for $7.70 ... Not sure I’ll ever forgive myself for that.

:tears: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccckkk! :tears:

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:41 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next