Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:21 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Minneapolis Burning 
Top Poster

Post Re: Minneapolis Burning
Any commentary about Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone in Seattle and the mayor's approval for it? Is this going to start happening in other US cities as their model for how society will operate after disbanding the police? Are Democrats here really for this new system, or are too afraid to speak out due to cancel culture?

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

This is incredibly accurate

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:24 pm
Devil's Advocate

Alex Y. wrote:
Any commentary about Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone in Seattle and the mayor's approval for it? Is this going to start happening in other US cities as their model for how society will operate after disbanding the police? Are Democrats here really for this new system, or are too afraid to speak out due to cancel culture?

It took like 2 days before a warlord replaced the police

My favorite clip

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:34 pm
Devil's Advocate

One of my problems with the defund the police idea - some cases like Travyon and Arbery’s were because of citizens playing “neighbourhood cop”

So even if people have backed off enough to say all “defunding the police” means is relatively small steps like stop responding to calls like “Someone is looking into houses suspiciously" and “There’s been a string of burglars recently and someone just went into that construction house” - how does that help stop situations like Zimmerman or Gregory McMichael? It hurts it if anything. It leads to people who decide to be neighbourhood cop themselves, but far sloppier due to less training/gear, less people checking them, less opportunity for their racism to be spotted in earlier cases, etc. If you ask neighbourhoods to police themselves to an extent, it doesn’t work if all you did was replace racist white cops with racist white citizens trying be cops.

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

Another shooting in Atlanta that led the police chief to resign, but the officer's defense looks pretty solid as the victim was aiming a taser at him. Even though a taser isn't deadly, the officer's life is in danger if he gets incapacitated by a taser since they could take the gun and finish him off.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:14 am
The Kramer

I just wish the other cop could have also gone for his taser. I get that the deceased made his own bed here, but a call about a guy sleeping in his car shouldn't have been able to escalate like that.

The other side is treating Biden's "shoot em in the leg" comment like it is some damning criticism of every police officer in America. What is wrong with training officers to use non lethal force, especially in situations like this?

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:43 pm
Keeping it Light

I think it's always hard to pass judgement without knowing all the facts, twitter mania however encourages people to just throw out opinions without knowing anything.

Anyway, after having seen the body cam footage, the victim was clearly resisting arrest and just for that fact alone he may not have deserved to die, but anyone saying he did not increase the risk of putting himself in a lethally dangerous position is just nonsensical. The police officer's behavior should be reviewed and possibly penalized, but based on the body came footage at least there seems to be no reason imo for the public to get involved or linking his death to any type of racism issues.

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
the deceased made his own bed here, but a call about a guy sleeping in his car shouldn't have been able to escalate like that.

I think the first part of your sentence is the whole point, it's not about a guy sleeping in his car, it's about a guy DUI, resisting arrest and brandishing a weapon...and that makes it just very hard for me to sympathize with him.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:52 am
The Kramer

He 100% deserves to be in jail right now. Alive. I think training to use non lethal force has to be the #1 objective here. Guns that don’t kill is gonna be a huge market.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:33 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Nerf Guns. FTW!!

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:18 am
Keeping it Light

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
He 100% deserves to be in jail right now. Alive. I think training to use non lethal force has to be the #1 objective here. Guns that don’t kill is gonna be a huge market.

That's why they carry the taser guns...but what if the perp takes the non lethal gun from you. But I agree that they should aim for the legs with a lethal weapon in a scenario as this.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:18 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

The killing of Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta over the weekend was ruled a homicide this morning.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Magnus wrote:
also, your leap in conclusion that if he used his taser his next move would be to grab a gun and kill the cop is just irrational.

It doesn't really matter if Brooks was more likely to run away than grab the gun. It's not the police officer's job to play russian roulette. I am sure there has been police officers who've died because they got tased and someone took their gun and either shot them or physically pummelled them.

A normal person wouldn't grab the police officer's gun, but a normal person wouldn't punch police and shoot a taser at them instead of getting arrested for a DUI either. Brooks already proved he was willing to be violent towards the police (whether it's cause he's an idiot or filled with rage for the police), so his chances of grabbing the gun or committing some other act of physical violence are much higher than if it was a level headed person.

If you want to survive go to jail when you get caught for DUI instead of punching them, taking their taser and trying to shoot them with it. It's pretty simple.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:23 pm
Devil's Advocate

Magnus wrote:
you're justifying murder again because someone doesn't fit your irrational idealism of what a law-abiding citizen should do in a situation. someone not fitting such description doesn't open justification for lethal and excessive force. it's not the officers job or obligation to shoot a man in the back multiple times.

So being a law abiding citizen is getting a DUI, punching police officers, stealing their taser and shooting it at them?

The officer was at risk of physical harm if he let a man who had just been punching him incapacitate him with a taser. Even if you disregard the chance of Brooks doing something after hitting him with the taser, tasers are dangerous, if you get tased in the face you could lose an eye for example. Therefore he had the right to defend himself. Also there were multiple police officers and witnesses at the scene so all of them would be in danger if Brooks got access to his gun.

Also it looks like Brooks was on parole for beating his kids. That's why he didn't want to get arrested. I have no sympathy for a POS like this getting himself killed by aiming a weapon at cops.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:59 pm
Devil's Advocate

Magnus wrote:
he doesn't have the right to shoot him in the back multiple times.

you're literally thinking that any deviation to being a perfect citizen opens up the authority and justification of excessive and lethal force.

i'm not even sure if i should call you foolish because it seems the main problem is your genuine lack of care of humanity. which is even far worse than being a fool.

To be blunt, this case is so easy that it's a good test case for people who are so far down the anti-police rabbit hole that they can no longer envision a scenario where a police shooting a black man is justified. Radical Leftism or Intersectional Critical Race Theory or whatever is increasingly becoming like a religion or a cult.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:46 pm
Devil's Advocate

Magnus wrote:
yes, a case which is basically universally (and officially) being labeled as a homicide is indeed a good test case to determine who has basic human decency and who doesn't.

Homicide literally just means one person killing another. It doesn't mean murder.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

Well you may have deleted your posts, but I saw it. I was wondering when someone would call me racist for daring to give black people and white people the exact same opportunity to be innocent/guilty, instead of assuming the white person must be guilty because he's white.

What's really racist:

The #1 seller in America being a book called "White Fragility" that says white people are born wrong and that people should apologize to black people just cause they're white. That White Fragility, White Privilege and Toxic Whiteness are not considered racist terms, but if I used the phrase Toxic Asianness or Toxic Blackness or Black Fragility, it would come off as INCREDIBLY racist. I think saying an entire race is toxic is racist no matter what the race is, but that's just me.

People who are burning down a Wendy's because a child beater many times out of felon only out of jail cause of COVID, aimed a weapon at a police officer's face and got shot. Refusing to put any blame on him for the sole reason that he is black, so they must defend him.

Giving a Pulitzer Prizers to writers who do things like falsely claim that the American Revolution was fought to preserve slavery so the British couldn't get rid of it, mainly because if a black person writes about race, you have to agree with it.

America is at a scary place when it comes to embracing racism full on, but it's not because of people like me. It's people in your group. I'm sorry that you and Chippy have been indoctrinated by the cult of Woke or whatever, that you're willing to go to bat for the right for child abusers who shoot tasers at cops faces to not get shot for the sole reason that they're black.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

Looks like Magnus deleted his account. That's a shame, and I apologize to the forum for driving away multiple posters this week, but when people in cult-like groups cut themselves off from those who challenge it, it's not the latter's group's fault. I understand why people would be upset about my take on the Floyd case since watching the video was such an emotional experience for people, but everyone I've said about the Brooks shooting has been reasonable in my opinion, and the only person who would be so dramatically upset by it would be someone who's not in a reasonable state of mind. If you can't disagree withs someone without calling them racist, attacking their humanity and then deleting 60k posts, it's your fault. I posted about the Brooks case originally because I was naive enough to think that even the staunchest supporters of these protests would be able to see that this shooting was justified. My mistake.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:29 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Anyone who does anything other than condemn a man being shot in the back while brandishing a non-lethal weapon needs to seriously reevaluate themselves. That's messed up, yo. This situation should never have escalated like that, the victim should never have been able to get their hand on the taser (which is just incompetence on the cop's part), and even when he did, he should not have been shot to death.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:51 pm
Devil's Advocate

the lesser evil wrote:
Anyone who does anything other than condemn a man being shot in the back while brandishing a non-lethal weapon needs to seriously reevaluate themselves. That's messed up, yo. This situation should never have escalated like that, the victim should never have been able to get their hand on the taser (which is just incompetence on the cop's part), and even when he did, he should not have been shot to death.

So the cop is supposed to risk losing his eyesight by letting himself get hit in the face with a taser?

Is he supposed to put the other officer and witnesses at risk by allowing Brooks access to his gun?

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

What the hell? Why would Magnus delete his account for this? So sad to see him go :(

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:42 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This thread has been a bit out of control. As much as I love having different opinions this seems to be a sensitive subject for many so I am going to lock this thread and any threads of this type. Thank you all for contributing.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:04 pm
The Kramer

RIP Magnus. One of our very best.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:04 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9