Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What’s your fear level? (poll) 

What’s your fear level?
1 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
4 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
5 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
6 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
7 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
8 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
10 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18

What’s your fear level? (poll) 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: What’s your fear level? (poll)
Also, typically with riots, is they subside because people go back to work, etc etc...

But 40 mil have filed for unemployment. So...

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:23 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Damn this is turning into a mess. It could turn into a double mess where riots spread more cases on top of deaths you see from riots. Also these riots give a means for starving people to come out and loot, and the rest to just come out of their houses.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:48 pm
Top Poster

fearful that the worst is yet to come

* so far the riot violence hasn't been that bad, but could easily blow up soon like the 1992 LA Riots having 63 deaths and 2383 injuries just in LA. Let's say a business owner shoots and kills a young looter of a different ethnicity (it looks to me a huge portion of looters are under 18), there could be racial violence similar to 1992 LA riots between African Americans and Korean Americans, but on a nationwide scale.

* it's been many months since we heard about mass shootings, but what if the past few months of isolation and social distancing have further worsened the mental heath of potentially disturbed individuals who have had a lot of free time to plan the worst?

* Purge craziness on July 4. A lot of gun shootings that day, covered up by fireworks. Especially fear a shift to violent residential attacks, if police are too busy gathering in commercial or public areas.

* World War 3, with foreign forces publicly denying but secretly funding/manipulating radicalized groups within US to inflict damage within the country.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

It’s like the 1960s in terms of unrest.

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Well, looked like things were going somewhat back to "normal" for a week or two. So much for that slight progress in combating this...

It just seems like small communities, cities, states, the country as a whole, are going to have to suck it up and put stricter policies, restrictions and measures in place (and actually follow them...) for a longer period of time to manage this virus. Attempting to reopen and get things back to normal so soon after a good week or two isn't a sustainable plan.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

There’s been a lot of focus on case numbers, but death numbers have dropped. By 7 day running average in daily deaths and cases

June 24th: 620 deaths, 32,404 cases
May 24th: 1190 deaths, 23,160 cases
Apr 24th: 2214 deaths, 30,139 cases

I see it being less deadly as a positive as the finish line for this may just be it becoming another flu rather than being eradicated. Maybe not now, but if it got down to 300-400 deaths and 30,000 cases the mortality rate would be similar to influenza I believe.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:31 am
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
Well, looked like things were going somewhat back to "normal" for a week or two. So much for that slight progress in combating this...

It just seems like small communities, cities, states, the country as a whole, are going to have to suck it up and put stricter policies, restrictions and measures in place (and actually follow them...) for a longer period of time to manage this virus. Attempting to reopen and get things back to normal so soon after a good week or two isn't a sustainable plan.

It’s also not sustainable to lockdown for years, which is how long it would take in the US to contain the virus entirely.

Locking down until a vaccine is also unsustainable, while there likely will be one in the next few months, vaccines are never guaranteed to be developed. If there Never was a vaccine, what would we do? Lockdown forever?

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:46 am
Keeping it Light

A 2 week everything shut, full lockdown should achieve a lot and as long as there are still inevitably be new cases coming up keep wearing masks, this would help so much.
Yes, it would flattening the economy completely for 2 weeks and there's the burden of wearing a masks at every public contact, but I think this actually would battle the virus effectively.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:16 am
On autopilot for the summer

Shack wrote:
There’s been a lot of focus on case numbers, but death numbers have dropped. By 7 day running average in daily deaths and cases

June 24th: 620 deaths, 32,404 cases
May 24th: 1190 deaths, 23,160 cases
Apr 24th: 2214 deaths, 30,139 cases

I see it being less deadly as a positive as the finish line for this may just be it becoming another flu rather than being eradicated. Maybe not now, but if it got down to 300-400 deaths and 30,000 cases the mortality rate would be similar to influenza I believe.

More cases among the younger population means less deaths for that demographic, but that leads to higher spreads among the more vulnerable, makes tracing much harder, Also, the cases only really started to rise from the 18th. Deaths won't start to increase until July. In the warmer climates symptoms aren't showing from 8-14 days, then deaths another 7-14 days after that.

Also, it's really bad watching people that have survived the virus go back to work, a lot are being treated like lepers so that doesn't help their already high depression levels, and honestly I haven't seen many of them try more than a day back a week because the physical strain with the added restrictions of masks on their already weakened breathing capacity. Add in the people who treated the virus like it was nothing, found out they had it, got other people sick, and caused their deaths. That is very hard thing to deal with at any age. The longterm effects of this is going to be unthinkable down the road. I've lost 3 family members during this, and another is unfortunately has been given the "only matter of time" diagnosis. Thankfully none from the virus, but the other harsh cruelty is not being able to be near them during their darkest moments. The phrase "everyone dies alone" has never had stronger meaning.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2