Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 So... what's your current situation in all this? 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: So... what's your current situation in all this?
Americans just aren't a "follow the guidelines" type of people. Never were. Never are. Never will be.

We're largely self-centered, and are quick to rebuke anything that may "threaten" our freedom, our choice, or anything that may simply inconvenience our lives, regardless of the consequences. "Let us live our lives how we want!" is the rallying cry. Potential death of oneself or loved ones is a better alternative to sacrificing anything because "you won't oppress me/"it's my choice to risk my life or the lives of others!"

I'm not downplaying COVID-19, but just imagine when a more severe pandemic occurs in the years to come. COVID-19 is like the pretest to see how the country can handle such a situation, and we've been failing spectacularly.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

My office (I work in a software company) has told us that we will be "encouraged" to start going back to the office a few times a week. I'm ready to encourage them to go fuck themselves. So many other companies are offering permanent work from home and I've been doing my job just fine since the pandemic started from my living room. I hate inflexible, out of touch boomers and gen xers. Of course no one under 30 wants to go back.

Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am also in a software company though my company directly deals with tourism sector so we've been badly hit. There was 80% staff reduction last month (I got lucky). We don't plan to return to work anytime soon (for now at the very least till January 2021). The teams under me have been very productive working from home. I've actually asked my seniors to consider permanent WFH for my teams. I hope it works out, it's not only efficient it's beneficial for the company as they don't need to rent a dedicated office space. I do miss interacting with people face to face but it's a small trade off for the time benefits we get from WFH.

Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:28 pm
Hold the door!

Barrabás wrote:
My office (I work in a software company) has told us that we will be "encouraged" to start going back to the office a few times a week. I'm ready to encourage them to go fuck themselves. So many other companies are offering permanent work from home and I've been doing my job just fine since the pandemic started from my living room. I hate inflexible, out of touch boomers and gen xers. Of course no one under 30 wants to go back.

Well I can understand not wanting to go back when there’s a pandemic I can’t imagine why people wouldn’t want to go back once it’s over. My job is back in person on Monday and I can’t be more excited! Working from home is boring and lonely.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:00 am
Grill

My work said that we aren't going back to the office until at least the beginning of next year.

I'll take it!

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:50 am
Extraordinary

I miss co-workers but saving on gas, no one watching me 24/7 and getting work done on my own time is pretty sweet so... I guess!

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:38 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I’ve worked as an essential worker since April. It’s been rewarding and long hours, but I couldn’t take staying at home waiting for my productions to come back . I’ve implemented all types of protocols for shoots, and picked up editing gigs, and helped a lot of people with zoom lessons and safety measures. Socially i don’t do anything though, I see my family once a week, and go for walks but that’s about it. Finally have a little more steady shoots coming up, but sticking with the new job for the time being.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:34 pm
Hold the door!

Life’s pretty much back to normal. Everything is open with precautions and I can see all my friends. I try to attend outdoor socially distanced social events but I have been tempted into a few risky indoor maskless gatherings. :whistle:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:46 pm
Extraordinary

Welp. We're reaching a new high in the US... yikes. But some good news about the vaccine today, so if that sticks we can be looking at a potential good summer.... here's hoping.

Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:19 pm
Romosexual!

My mood is better now that we know there will be ADULTS dealing with this pandemic soon.

Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Rev wrote:
My mood is better now that we know there will be ADULTS dealing with this pandemic soon.

Doesn't Biden have sexual assault allegations and a corruption scandal swirling around him? And didn't Kamala Harris basically have sex for a career (Willie Brown)? Both Democrats and Republicans are repugnant. If I was American I would vote independent every time.

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:11 pm
Romosexual!

Barrabás wrote:
Rev wrote:

Doesn't Biden have sexual assault allegations and a corruption scandal swirling around him? And didn't Kamala Harris basically have sex for a career (Willie Brown)? Both Democrats and Republicans are repugnant. If I was American I would vote independent every time.

We’re glad you’re not an American.

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:18 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I don't get how someone's sexual encounters (or misadventures for that matter) makes them unfit for handling a pandemic.

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:17 pm
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I don't get how someone's sexual encounters (or misadventures for that matter) makes them unfit for handling a pandemic.

Tell that to the “but he grabbed them by the pussy consensually” people

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Rev wrote:
Barrabás wrote:
Rev wrote:

We’re glad you’re not an American.

Perhaps I will be! Biden is about to make it very easy for me to become a citizen if I wanted to in the future.

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:53 pm

Jack Sparrow wrote:

The point is that they are both corrupt career politicians who are only in it for the power and will do and say anything to keep that power. Not exactly the type of people you want in charge of the lives of millions. Although I suppose they are marginally better than a guy who is a lifelong crooked businessman who is not only in it for the power but also for his planet-sized ego. What a sad election, choosing between two sets of vultures. America needs to nuke the swamp and create new parties entirely.

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:56 pm
Devil's Advocate

Barrabás wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

The point is that they are both corrupt career politicians who are only in it for the power and will do and say anything to keep that power. Not exactly the type of people you want in charge of the lives of millions. Although I suppose they are marginally better than a guy who is a lifelong crooked businessman who is not only in it for the power but also for his planet-sized ego. What a sad election, choosing between two sets of vultures. America needs to nuke the swamp and create new parties entirely.

That's exactly what Trump is doing.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:21 am
Keeping it Light

Trump is somewhat transforming the Republican swamp, I wouldn't call it much more than that.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:40 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Barrabás wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

The point was handling COVID and we know for a fact that Trump didn't handle it well and that Biden is/has been trying to do the right thing. Name a politician who is not corrupt, they all have their baggage.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:33 am
Devil's Advocate

stuffp wrote:
Trump is somewhat transforming the Republican swamp, I wouldn't call it much more than that.

Well he's only 4 years in of 8

Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:58 am
The Kramer

Well if he takes these four might as well take four after that too.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:28 am
The Kramer

I cut my own hair for the first time ever today and it sucked. It was very difficult. Mirrors and sharp scissors are a dangerous combination, and I’m probably lucky to still have all nine fingers.

Wait...

Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:08 am
Indiana Jones IV

I'm just letting my hair run rampant. As long as I'm not going anywhere, I have no need to be presentable either.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:21 pm
Devil's Advocate

Barbershops have been open a while where I live but I decided to just let it keep growing, easily the longest it's been. Learning how to do a ponytail has done wonders in terms of not being bothered by it.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:00 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I got lucky over the Summer when I moved outside a 2-hour radius of my job to be able to transition to a different position that I've been able to do at home. There's definitely concern that sales this holiday season are going to be significantly below forecasts though due to increased strain from COVID (from more people, understandably, saving again versus spending), so we'll see what happens next Spring. I'm expecting large-scale closures, which will very likely impact the area I work in.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next