Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 WOKJ Funding!!! 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post WOKJ Funding!!!
We have been talking about saving KJ in various forum threads and a lot of people came forward to fund this site. So I would like to know how much so that we have an idea on the base with which we can start reforming the site. It would also be a good idea for the owners to know these details.

This also shows that people are serious about the change talk that has been going around. Money is and always has been a very personal thing and I have seen people shy to disclose their contributions. Thus the idea is to keep secrecy around numbers and there is no problem if you don't like to fund the site or the contribution is as small as $1 USD. I also don't mind if you don't like to share this secret with me, then another suggestion is to form groups with people you feel comfortable sharing that number and just give me a number (for example: Algren sends me a PM that Algren, stuffp, Mike and David will contribute $10 USD per month)

So send me a PM with how much money you can fund per month or annually and I will keep the total updated in this thread. If you feel like sharing the information with everyone feel free to post here and I will just update the main total.

I would prefer if people can make an annual donation so that we don't wait on monthly contributions. We are talking in terms of USD here since the site is most likely being paid in that currency.

So the current total is
$50 USD per month or $600 USD annually.

Last edited by Jack Sparrow on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:03 am
Keeping it Light

Post Re: WOKJ Funding!!!
For reference
http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77430&hilit=Funding

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 am
Extraordinary

$5 USD per month or $60 USD annually.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:17 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I knew that thread but it was sometime back so I thought of starting it again.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 am
Keeping it Light

Alright, well if the site depended on donations to keep it going as is, you can count me in for $60/ year.
I'd double that if it would to certain improvements.

Btw. I didn't see the Naomi Osaka server issue for a while, I sense that we have switched back/ to another one again.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

stuffp wrote:
Alright, well if the site depended on donations to keep it going as is, you can count me in for $60/ year.
I'd double that if it would to certain improvements.

Btw. I didn't see the Naomi Osaka server issue for a while, I sense that we have switched back/ to another one again.

I've never seen that issue but heard of it a few times now. What is the Naomi Osaka server issue? I hope it's not related to her US open win against tantrum-throwing-racket-breaking Serena

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:36 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Also thanks for the responses guys. We're upto $480 per year already. Let's get it past $1000 per year.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:38 am
Keeping it Light

The "Japanese" server issue was a redirect from the website to a this website doesn't exist page, it usually happened during certain hours when visiting with a US ip.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:16 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

stuffp wrote:
The "Japanese" server issue was a redirect from the website to a this website doesn't exist page, it usually happened during certain hours when visiting with a US ip.

Ah I c. Think I wasn't posting here in that period.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:15 am
---------

Yep I'd be down for at least $5 a month.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 pm
We had our time together

You can count me in as well. $5 = :thumbsup:

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:56 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

What is the money going towards?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Good question. The idea is to get funding realization first and then come up with a plan. Though if you ask me mostly reforms to the main site first. Second keeping the site alive as well incase the current owners decide it costs them too much.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:46 am
now we know

Just an FYI, Eagle said before that the dedicated server KJ was on cost $840, so that should probably be the target. Half of that was made with ad revenue and the rest he used to get by hosting other people's sites on the same server. But that was before. Now, with no ad revenue and hosting just KJ, I think it will most likely all need to come from donations. So $840..

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:14 am
Profile WWW

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Good question. The idea is to get funding realization first and then come up with a plan. Though if you ask me mostly reforms to the main site first. Second keeping the site alive as well incase the current owners decide it costs them too much.

What are those costs? I just don't think it's a good idea to have people throwing money around before you have a set idea

Has anyone been in touch with Lecter?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:00 am
Keeping it Light

I don't think anyone is actually spending yet, but sure we're throwing numbers around, and those are numbers that could be used in favor of KJ. It seems for most regular members a +-$60 yearly fee to have this forum around, is worth it. What we can actually do with this info so far, im also not sure.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:01 am

Is it worth it? That's my biggest point. I'd say it'd be much easier to buy the website platform and start fresh. And make KJ simply a record database.

Because all of a sudden we will have 5k and nothing to show for it, except for Sparrow's pockets. Do you really want me or you to spend 600$ a year to have Algren and Zwackwerm fight?

Biggest steps. If there is going to be new ownership, who will do it?
Complete financial breakdown from the current owners. (Find out if its worth it)
Finding a new or overhauling the current website (which will suck)
Building stronger membership following (There are social media and advertising ways to make it work)
Stronger Content (I would have someone completely copy BOM, and WOBX, Variety and create a complete database so they don't have to click away) If we want to be the end all be all box office site, then look into those platforms.

As said, PM if anyone is interested. I feel like the interest has already been lost.

So far the only number came up was 900 a month just to maintain the site currently as is.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:01 pm
Devil's Advocate

The first thing that needs to happen is excel or MadGez needs to become the owner. Trying to reboot WOKJ while waiting for the involvement of its current owner that went out for a pack of smokes and never returned will take it nowhere.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:41 am

Well you can't become the owner without talking with the current one. We're talking a lot of hypotheticals without even knowing if the current owners are interested in even selling the site. Best case scenario is that what we are saying is realized in half a year. Worst case a new site is created in 8-10 months. And that is spending a lot of money to make it happen. I'm not sure if Excel of Madgez have enough website development knowledge/ free time to speed the process along. to under 4 months.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:52 pm
Devil's Advocate

It's pretty simple. If Dr Lecter cares about the forum he should give it up because he's proven to be incredibly ineffective in the role, even as an absentee owner there's a way to do it he has just not. He should know the best thing for the forum is to let someone else take over, it's not as if doing nothing preserves anything since this place could go belly up from post attrition in a year or two anyways. Excel running the forum into the ground is no bigger risk than death by natural causes. If he doesn't care about the forum he should also give it up because what's the point especially at a financial cost?

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:05 am
Devil's Advocate

Thegun wrote:
Well you can't become the owner without talking with the current one. We're talking a lot of hypotheticals without even knowing if the current owners are interested in even selling the site. Best case scenario is that what we are saying is realized in half a year. Worst case a new site is created in 8-10 months. And that is spending a lot of money to make it happen. I'm not sure if Excel of Madgez have enough website development knowledge/ free time to speed the process along. to under 4 months.

I'm willing to run the main site. My plan is to use Wordpress which would make it a simple blog format to update. I would be editor which is a field I'm interested in anyways. It wouldn't be as complicated as what Eagle was doing. WOKJ isn't going to become The Ringer.com, the writing talent just isn't here. But even something that's at least updated like boxofficeguru site is an improvement over the current articles

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:18 am
now we know

I hope Thegun becomes owner. There's a precedent for becoming owner and vanishing.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:41 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Why not ambition to become The Ringer actually, but we need writers, and while many can, few are doing it now, because the demand/ readership also just seems not there, so it's to doubt if it will. But I'd love for KJ to have a mainsite with articles, in some way I relish the time when Zwackerm was reviewing star wars in that fashion too.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:04 am
now we know

There are only two members capable of writing articles. One of them is David. He's gone the way of Riggs. The other is Gamaur. Sorry, but the rest of us are message board posters for a reason.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
There are only two members capable of writing articles. One of them is David. He's gone the way of Riggs. The other is Gamaur. Sorry, but the rest of us are message board posters for a reason.

As an English major I resent this statement!

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next