Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Operation Turn Around: Saving KJ 
Superfreak

Post Operation Turn Around: Saving KJ
KJ isn't beyond saving. There are good people here.

I love this place and despite age and life changes, I've learned boat loads and greatly enjoyed sharing film experiences with others. I, for one, will not watch it die the slow, painful death that started many years ago. I am willing to put my (considerable) energy and finances behind building this site into what it should have always been: the definite place for box office analysis, education, and discussion on the web. Others need to GTFO, they can't touch this. :cool:

It pains me to think that Theory stole the forum thunder when Mojo folded years ago. It pains me, to this day, to think of the missed opportunity capture the digital box office reader market when Subers left Mojo back in 2015. When I think of all the incredible box office calls from this site - to as recent as PublicEnemy's Crazy Rich asians call- this site could have so much credibility on the web.

Need to Know:
A. How much is needed to main the site?
B. How much is needed to grow the site?
C. What are we currently at, and what is the short fall relative to A & B?

It is well past time to reach our potential.

1) Reach out to old members and get them to return in some capacity, even limited. Perhaps we can pay them for slight presence on forums and more importantly, material for the main page.

2) Cherry pick the premier BOT posters and bring them here, have them bring other posters with them. May need to give them time on the front page

3) Recruit a name from other entity to join. What is Ray Subers doing nowadays? The guy from BoxOfficeGuru? Xaiyun has follows as does ChipMunky. How do some of those random sites get their access to info? How do we get this? bribes?

4) Get some authentic, intelligent material on box office, present it well
-Long range forecast with a scientific process
-Week to week analysis
-Throwback Thursday articles recalling epic runs of the past, using citations from KJ's threads at the time of course
-Get the premiere personality to contribute, put personal spin on it, connect
-Note that we MUST make and publish some gutsy, well reasoned, industry trumping predictions to garner attention and hopefully acclaim.

5) Market
-Need to preset this on any formats. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

6) CONSISTENCY
-Need material through next Avengers. Execute a 7-8 month plan of content distribution and legitimate marketing and reevaluate position at that point.

Btw I like this

twitter account twitter.com/KJBoxOffice

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:03 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Operation Turn Around: Saving KJ
I forgot Box Office Guru. I see it is still kicking with the exact same format. Bit of a nostalgia rush.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:32 am
100% That Bitch

I'm in with you, 10 years full of memories

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:52 pm
Devil's Advocate

I mentioned this before but for the mainsite reboot an option would be just going with wordpress. It doesn't have to be that complicated.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:24 pm
now we know

David wrote:
I forgot Box Office Guru. I see it is still kicking with the exact same format. Bit of a nostalgia rush.

If you liked that, check out this: http://www.leesmovieinfo.net/

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Let's just be real. Dr Lecter should not be the owner anymore. I can't imagine what motivates him to keep owning a forum that he has a toxic relationship with and costs money. The KJ owner can be busy in real life but at the very least have to be someone people can communicate with and who can delegate responsibility to admins or people working on main site.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:14 am
now we know

Lecter is safeguarding it because he doesn't want it to fall into the wrong hands. I can't think why. Then there's the power of being the owner that he just relishes. He's not going to give that up. It took him 10 years to finally get his grubby mitts on it. ;)

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

AHEM

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:20 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I don't think anyone here is looking to make this a profitable site, but this should have a larger user base. Even if we increased to 50-100 regular users, that would be fantastic.

Also, the sign up feature has been working for about 2 months now since I took over the email replies. Sure, it's a dumb system, but it works.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:29 am
now we know

Chippy wrote:
Sure, it's a dumb system, but it works.

This mentality is one of the factors why KJ isn't getting new members. KJ is stuck in the past. Nobody wants to join an outdated forum, and I don't blame them.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Gamaur wrote:
KJ hasn't been a business venture for over a decade. There's nothing wrong with how things are. It's never going to be profitable while maintaining member loyalty - if you guys keep pushing this bullshit, this very special pocket of the internet, will be gone for good.

We're not asking for it to be profitable, but being a website that loses hundreds of dollars a year + having an owner that doesn't post here in anymore/is basically in hate with us is not a cocktail we want. Dr Lecter has no reason to pay a lot of money for a website that doesn't add to his life anymore, and I don't think he has been, it sounds to me like it was mostly Magnus and he was paying like $90 a month. According to Eagle when he left he was paying $91 a month but the site makes enough that the loss ended up being about $42 a month, which is still roughly $500 a year Magnus was seemingly on the hook for if he largely covered it. Whether it affected his decision or not Magnus is gone, so Chippy found a cheap server I think, and that's how we got the Chinese error page. Hence the financial aspect has already affected WOKJ.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 pm
now we know

Chippy found a new server? :rofl:

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

If anyone is interested in executing the plan, I will fund.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:37 pm
The Kramer

Can we at least take the 6 year old articles off the home page and replace it with a link to the forum? It’s embarassing.

We only need like 25-50 more active posters to make KJ Great Again. I don’t wanna be Box office Theory. Our servers couldn’t handle the emojis.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:01 am
Devil's Advocate

It would definitely be a good idea. I wonder how many posters have come here from twitter, said "What is WOKJ?" and clicked on the link to the homepage, and then saw the old articles and immediately lowered their interest of staying here. In my opinion the twitter account has been a success bringing people to WOKJ, for example a mundane tweet like this produced 10 link clicks

The problem is that people are not interested in posting on KJ when they see the forum. With low traffic it may be hard to get out of the death spiral. They visit the Water Cooler and the only ongoing thread is 2018 deaths. They list Cinemania and nothing is going on really. They visit box office forum and it's still not active enough for them to care. Over a 2 month span the amount of people who've found KJ and decided not to post is probably very bad. Hell for all we know 1 or 2 people find the site with google every day. So something is going wrong. Nonetheless a mainsite making it look like a credible site instead of a random film discussion board with 50 posts a day may help

Excel wrote:
If anyone is interested in executing the plan, I will fund.

I think a donation system would be pretty successful if someone got it rolling

I am willing to take charge rebuilding the mainsite, the first thing that has to happen is Dr Lecter needs to gives someone admin control of the forum. It is long overdue for someone to have the power to update the forum descriptions, etc.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:34 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

None of us have control over the system.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:05 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Algren wrote:

No. I have not been involved in any site decision making. I have offered to help in any way I can. Which is why I still run the Derby and am in charge of ensuring the email registration works.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:07 am
Devil's Advocate

Chippy wrote:
Algren wrote:

No. I have not been involved in any site decision making. I have offered to help in any way I can. Which is why I still run the Derby and am in charge of ensuring the email registration works.

Didn't you post this? I figured you were the one controlling which server we're on

Quote:
Without that Magnus money, we can't afford a decent server. The site is actually running off of my computer.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:15 am
now we know

Don't be so gullible, Shack. That was another case of Chippy's fruitless personality finding its way into a discussion that it needn't be in. He also tries to paint a picture that he's more important than he is. Believe me when I say: Chippy has no experience, no knowledge, no prospects, and no money, which is why he can only do things that every other person can do, such as check emails and "manage" the Derby. He's a Twitter bottom-feeder. So when he says he does anything that sounds remotely like it would need an iota of intelligence, you can chalk it up as a lie or failed humour.

And this is bang on:

Gamaur wrote:
Sorry fellas, but this looks like a classic case of newbies to the management world getting over excited about having control over a business and wanting to change it.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
I think a donation system would be pretty successful if someone got it rolling

I'd rather own it.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:02 am
Superfreak

Gamaur wrote:
To add:

If people want to make this place better, the best thing anyone can do, is put some effort and diplomacy into their posting. There's a wide open space in the Cinemania section for anyone who wants to use some creativity and get some discussion going. The framework is perfectly fine.

Point being, there's not much use complaining or desiring, if you aren't doing everything in your power already. A lot of us are just older and busier now and don't have the same kind of obsessive interest - but if a person's able to put this much energy into 'Saving KJ', I'm sure they'd be able to make more of a contribution to the improvement they're looking for than they realise.

Being passionate about movies and sharing that passion is far and away the best thing for this place.

Fair and understood. Right now, however, things are very u and the air and risky. Not only because the owner is very hands off (understatement) but lack of funding is a reality.

I would absolutely like to make this site profitable, and think it can be, though that doesn't mean running it like THEORY. It means taking some of our best voices, giving them a platform to share their opinions, and then pushing them around the internet for others to see. This will hopefully build interest in our page and bring us the traffic/posters/discussion that we are missing.

The path is very clear.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:09 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Shack wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Algren wrote:

Didn't you post this? I figured you were the one controlling which server we're on

Quote:
Without that Magnus money, we can't afford a decent server. The site is actually running off of my computer.

That was a joke.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:59 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Algren wrote:
Don't be so gullible, Shack. That was another case of Chippy's fruitless personality finding its way into a discussion that it needn't be in. He also tries to paint a picture that he's more important than he is. Believe me when I say: Chippy has no experience, no knowledge, no prospects, and no money, which is why he can only do things that every other person can do, such as check emails and "manage" the Derby. He's a Twitter bottom-feeder. So when he says he does anything that sounds remotely like it would need an iota of intelligence, you can chalk it up as a lie or failed humour.

And this is bang on:

Gamaur wrote:
Sorry fellas, but this looks like a classic case of newbies to the management world getting over excited about having control over a business and wanting to change it.

And this is why people left the site.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:59 am
now we know

Because someone tells the truth? Hardly.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I left the site for good because Argos was always picking on me (with his beak).

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next