Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Boycotts 
Defeats all expectations

Post Boycotts
Sarah Huckabee Sanders, current WH press secretary, was asked to leave a restaurant in Virginia. Here is the restaurant owner's explanation for why she refused service to the Trump official:

Quote:

Stephanie Wilkinson was at home Friday evening — nearly 200 miles from the White House — when the choice presented itself.

Her phone rang about 8 p.m. It was the chef at the Red Hen, the tiny farm-to-table restaurant that she co-owned just off Main Street in this small city in the western part of the state.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders had just walked in and sat down, the chef informed her.

"He said the staff is a little concerned. What should we do?" Wilkinson told the Washington Post. "I said I'd be down to see if it's true."

It seemed unlikely to her that President Trump's press secretary should be dining at a 26-seat restaurant in rural Virginia. But then, it was unlikely that her entire staff would have misidentified Sanders, who had arrived last to a table of eight booked under her husband's name.

As she made the short drive to the Red Hen, Wilkinson knew only this:

She knew Lexington, population 7,000, had voted overwhelmingly against Trump in a county that voted overwhelmingly for him. She knew the community was deeply divided over such issues as Confederate flags. She knew, she said, that her restaurant and its half-dozen servers and cooks had managed to stay in business for 10 years by keeping politics off the menu.

And she knew — she believed — that Sanders worked in the service of an "inhumane and unethical" administration, that she publicly defended the president's cruelest policies, and that that could not stand.

"I'm not a huge fan of confrontation," Wilkinson said. "I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals."

When she walked into the restaurant, Wilkinson saw that there had been no mistake. The Red Hen is no bigger than some apartments, and the group table was impossible to miss: Sanders in a black dress, her husband, three or four men and women of roughly similar ages, and an older couple.

"They had cheese boards in front of them," Wilkinson said. Like any other family. The kitchen was already preparing the party's main course. Wilkinson interrupted to huddle with her workers.

Several Red Hen employees are gay, she said. They knew Sanders had defended Trump's desire to bar transgender people from the military. This month, they had all watched her evade questions and defend a Trump policy that caused migrant children to be separated from their parents.

"Tell me what you want me to do. I can ask her to leave," Wilkinson told her staff, she said. "They said 'yes.' "

It was important to Wilkinson, she said, that Sanders had already been served — that her staff had not simply refused her on sight. And it was important to her that Sanders was a public official, not just a customer with whom she disagreed, many of whom were included in her regular clientele.

All the same, she was tense as she walked up to the press secretary's chair.

"I said, 'I'm the owner,' " she recalled, " 'I'd like you to come out to the patio with me for a word.' "

They stepped outside, into another small enclosure, but at least out of the crowded restaurant.

"I was babbling a little, but I got my point across in a polite and direct fashion," Wilkinson said. "I explained that the restaurant has certain standards that I feel it has to uphold, such as honesty, and compassion, and cooperation.

"I said, 'I'd like to ask you to leave.' "

Wilkinson didn't know how Sanders would react, or whether Trump's chief spokeswoman had been called out in a restaurant before — as the president's homeland security secretary had been days earlier.

Sanders' response was immediate, Wilkinson said: " 'That's fine. I'll go.' "

Sanders went back to the table, picked up her things and walked out. The others at her table had been welcome to stay, Wilkinson said. But they didn't, so the servers cleared away the cheese plates and glasses.

"They offered to pay," Wilkinson said. "I said, 'No. It's on the house.' "

At the end of the shift, Wilkinson said, staff members left the usual overnight note in the kitchen for the morning manager: a problem with the credit card machine. Restock vodka and tequila.

If you've ever heard the term "to 86 someone," it comes from the restaurant industry — code to refuse service, or alternatively to take an item off the menu.

"86 - Sara Huckabee Sanders," read the note, below the reminder to buy more Pellegrino.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-sanders-restaurant-owner-20180623-story.html

Boycott as a form of expression and protest can be divisive. However noble or justifiable the cause may be, a boycott can backfire if it fails to get the message across. So tread carefully. And I think this is important: a boycott should only be directed at those in power or who are directly responsible for the policies in violation. In this case, it should never be used as a protest against supporters of Trump.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:14 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Boycotts
Nonsense. Reminds me of the guy kicked out of a bar for a stupid MAGA hat. These incidents do nothing to convince fake independent voters to vote for a democrat. The only thing this does is appeal to the mentally ill. It gets them riled up and go heck ya stand up against evil fascist trump and his minions. Does nothing. It’s a yawn.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:00 am
Defeats all expectations

nghtvsn wrote:
Nonsense. Reminds me of the guy kicked out of a bar for a stupid MAGA hat. These incidents do nothing to convince fake independent voters to vote for a democrat. The only thing this does is appeal to the mentally ill. It gets them riled up and go heck ya stand up against evil fascist trump and his minions. Does nothing. It’s a yawn.

Kicking a random guy out of a bar for wearing a MAGA hat is stupid and wrong, IMO.

This is different. Sanders is an enabler of the administration's many lies and deceits and inhumane policies. Maybe time to send a message to the public and Trump cabinet that this is not normal.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:26 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I mean, I wouldn't want a racist in my bar. I'd kick a MAGA hat bro out, too.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:31 pm
Extraordinary

Conservatives: "Bakers should be allowed to refuse to serve people who offend their morals!"

Also conservatives: "The restaurant owner should not have the right to refuse service to someone simply because that person offends their morals!"

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Again I say, being gay is not a choice. Being an asshole is.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:57 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Chippy wrote:

How do you know that being an asshole is a choice? Whar about mentally ill people or druf addicts or drunks?

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:

Getting gay married is a choice. I think it’s repulsive to not serve someone just because they’re gay, but someone should not be forced to acknowledge a marriage they don’t believe in.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:44 pm
Keeping it Light

zwackerm wrote:
Chippy wrote:

Getting gay married is a choice. I think it’s repulsive to not serve someone just because they’re gay, but someone should not be forced to acknowledge a marriage they don’t believe in.

If you're not to one legally part of that marriage, what has forcing to acknowledge anything to do with it...

That's the same like saying, someone should not be forced to acknowledge 1+1 = 2.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:03 am
Indiana Jones IV

zwackerm wrote:
Chippy wrote:

You realise that they're not refusing someone service because of their decision to marry, right? It's the fact that it's gay that's the problem, which is straight up prejudice.

The big difference between the whole wedding cake incident and this, is that the former was prejudice where the decision to refuse service wasn't made based on what they had done. Sanders was refused service based on what she has said and/or done, that's judgement and a whole different thing entirely.

It's like if a guy walks into a bar: if he's denied service for being gay, it's prejudice and unacceptable, but if he starts spewing racist/hateful bullshit or causing a scene (or is known to have done so previously), passing judgement on that and refusing them service is perfectly acceptable.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:12 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Caius wrote:
Chippy wrote:

How do you know that being an asshole is a choice? Whar about mentally ill people or druf addicts or drunks?

Being mentally ill would not make you an asshole. If you were an asshole and mentally ill, you'd be mentally ill. While being an addict/alcoholic is not a choice, they still make the choice to start doing drugs/drinking (outside of prescription addictions). So it's still kinda your choice.

Being a drunk is a choice, and is not the same as being an alcoholic.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:53 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Zwackerm was either too young, or conveniently forgets that a restaurant refused to serve Joe Biden. And got praised and taken to rallies and was the king of Fox News.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am
Hold the door!

Sarah is just trying to keep her job.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:05 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Then she can deal with the consequences of being a liar.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:07 pm
Extraordinary

zwackerm wrote:
Chippy wrote:

What if they're against interracial marriage?

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Groucho wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Chippy wrote:

What if they're against interracial marriage?

The concept stands. If someone doesn’t believe two people should get married, they shouldn’t be forced to be involved in the wedding period. I cerThinly would not have baked a cake for Mario and Belles wedding if they’d stayed together.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:31 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Jesus.

Seriously, what would Jesus say about what you just posted? I thought you were religious?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:41 pm
Devil's Advocate

the lesser evil wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Chippy wrote:

You realise that they're not refusing someone service because of their decision to marry, right? It's the fact that it's gay that's the problem, which is straight up prejudice.

The big difference between the whole wedding cake incident and this, is that the former was prejudice where the decision to refuse service wasn't made based on what they had done. Sanders was refused service based on what she has said and/or done, that's judgement and a whole different thing entirely.

It's like if a guy walks into a bar: if he's denied service for being gay, it's prejudice and unacceptable, but if he starts spewing racist/hateful bullshit or causing a scene (or is known to have done so previously), passing judgement on that and refusing them service is perfectly acceptable.

Note that the baker in the gay wedding incident, was otherwise willing to serve gay customers. He didn't want to make a gay cake which would have forced him to express a message in his art that he's against. It's like forcing a Muslim to bake a cake with an image of Mohammed on it. Or another example, if a liberal baker refused to make a cake saying ban gay marriage on it, would it be a controversy?

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:38 pm
Keeping it Light

Shack wrote:
Note that the baker in the gay wedding incident, was otherwise willing to serve gay customers. He didn't want to make a gay cake which would have forced him to express a message in his art that he's against. It's like forcing a Muslim to bake a cake with an image of Mohammed on it. Or another example, if a liberal baker refused to make a cake saying ban gay marriage on it, would it be a controversy?

I haven't really known the full extend of the case in detail I think.

So what is "a gay cake".

I think any baker or any professional should be allowed to limit their craft to what they feel comfortable or doing or not.

So basically, they shouldn't discriminate against WHOM to serve, but they should be allowed to discriminate in WHAT to serve.

As for what zwackerm also said here:
zwackerm wrote:
I cerThinly would not have baked a cake for Mario and Belles wedding if they’d stayed together.

It's funny because, it's such a wild hypothetical and zwackerm loves making things about him.

And also, you would not have baked their cake because of a personal issue with them.

The problem is that people are so prejudiced about things, before really learning about someone's motivations before making any decisions/ judgements, but I guess we all don't have time for that.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
Jesus.

Seriously, what would Jesus say about what you just posted? I thought you were religious?

I support interracial marriage fully. Groucho presented a hypothetical situation, trying to get me to slip up.

Jesus would not force me to bake a gay wedding cake. LOL.

I would serve gay people in any way that would not communicate personal agreement with gay marriage. I’m fine with it being legal, but I don’t want to in any way endorse it or be involved

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 pm
Hold the door!

And it needs to be clarified that just about all young republicans are fine with gay marriage being legal, including myself, and many older people are too.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

You're clearly not.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:49 am
Devil's Advocate

stuffp wrote:
I haven't really known the full extend of the case in detail I think.

So what is "a gay cake".

Couldn't really find what the real cake that was ordered, but it was a gay wedding cake so I assume there were ways to signifiy it. Say you had a cake where the insides were pride rainbow colored, had a few miniatures men on the top and said congrats (two male names)

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:05 am
Keeping it Light

Shack wrote:
Say you had a cake where the insides were pride rainbow colored, had a few miniatures men on the top and said congrats (two male names)

OK, so I think that shouldn't be offensive in even the slightest of ways, if a baker refuses to have baked that they might as well not be in the cake making business.
I can only imagine their business isn't actually very good, but that perhaps the kind of publicity they got from this, might have made it into a thriving one, but hope not.

And since I love talking about zwackerm, he said on this forum both within a few days.
zwackerm wrote:
I’d serve anyone if I owned a restaurant.

and
zwackerm wrote:
I cerThinly would not have baked a cake for Mario and Belle

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:15 am
now we know

Maybe it was a replica of the penis cake from Curb.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next