Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 School Shooting #22 of 2018 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post School Shooting #22 of 2018

Santa Fe, Texas: 9 students, 1 teacher dead.

That's 1.1 school shootings a week in the U.S. this year, and already 144% more than 2017 in total. 38 deaths, 60 injuries in total, so far.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri May 18, 2018 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: School Shooting #22 of 2018
crisis actors, the kids are all still alive, we need a police squad made of veterans at every school in the country, and we need to arm every teacher and give every kid a bulletproof vest

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 pm
now we know

:rofl:

Fri May 18, 2018 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

I feel as though younger millennial and men z will not be so kind to elderly folks in the not so distant future

Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 am
Extraordinary

It's not ease of access. Guns have been around forever.
It's not a security issue since schools have been insecure here forever.
Although, we can continue to do the same rinse repeat bs as usual. Blame NRA, demand fake gun control and pray. It's quite a yawn at this point .

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat May 19, 2018 8:55 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I mean, other countries limit guns, and they have little problems. But sure, it's not how fucking easy it is to get a gun.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat May 19, 2018 3:01 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
I mean, other countries limit guns, and they have little problems. But sure, it's not how fucking easy it is to get a gun.

Our country does limit guns.

Sat May 19, 2018 5:20 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Sure they do.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun May 20, 2018 2:21 am
Devil's Advocate

Chippy wrote:

Is it far fetched to believe the US produces exponentially more kids who want to shoot up their school than other countries?

Sun May 20, 2018 2:37 am
Devil's Advocate

I think one of the biggest clues we have to the school shootings problem, is that none of these shooters are women, or even black males despite otherwise high homicide rates among African Americans and obvious access to guns. School shootings are not just a natural extension of kids growing up near guns, or else it wouldn't only apply to white male loners.

Sun May 20, 2018 3:39 am
Defeats all expectations

(In response to nghtvsn) Easy access to guns is a necessary component for most of these killings.

Without easy access, a person with insecurity or rage issues would not be able to kill with such ease with a flick of trigger. Without easy access, we would not see these issues manifest themselves in the shooting deaths of people, instead of in a non-fatal, more manageable way.

Sun May 20, 2018 6:12 am
Defeats all expectations

zwackerm wrote:
Chippy wrote:

Our country does limit guns.

Seems like you are in a phase of denial.

Sun May 20, 2018 6:15 am
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
Sure they do.

Not to the extent of other countries, but you can’t just walk into Walmart and buy a gun without a criminal background check. The only place you don’t need a background check is private sellers like gun shows, which I support needing background checks also.

I’m just confused as to exactly what gun control laws people want. I’m in support of reasonable gun control but that needs to be defined when talking about it.

Sun May 20, 2018 8:52 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I don't like guns, but I also support gun ownership. There simply needs to be strict laws in place.

For someone wanting to become a gun owner, I don't think it's unreasonable for these measures, in some form, to be taken:

*State Permit.
*Background Check.
*Metal Health Evaluation with re-evaluations every 3-5 years.
*Firearm Registration with a yearly inspection for proof of ownership.

And honestly, there should be a shooting class required to own a gun, as well.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun May 20, 2018 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

zwackerm wrote:
I’m just confused as to exactly what gun control laws people want. I’m in support of reasonable gun control but that needs to be defined when talking about it.

How about, at a bare minimum, making it at least as hard as it is to get a driver's license?

https://ventrellaquest.com/2013/12/27/im-anti-car/

Sun May 20, 2018 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Groucho wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

How about, at a bare minimum, making it at least as hard as it is to get a driver's license?

https://ventrellaquest.com/2013/12/27/im-anti-car/

I agree with Corpses requirements, other than maybe the class. I’m not sure it should be quite as extensive training to get a gun as a car Though since people will use cars in their everyday life and unless they’re into the range or hunting, the guns people purchase will probably rarely be used.

The reason it’s important to define this is so no one can say “oh you just want to ban ALL guns!” Because that’s a really important distinction. Few people agree with no guns at all and if you leave it up to interpretation, the gun nuts will paint you as one of those people.

Sun May 20, 2018 5:48 pm
now we know

Those measures wouldn't change a thing because millions of guns are already out there in the marketplace. And it's crazy teenagers that steal their parents' guns that are the problem regarding school shootings. The only way is to ban all guns. Set up an amnesty for, like, a year. After a deadline if you have a gun you will be fined and have it confiscated. Honestly, in this day and age nobody really needs a gun unless you're a hunter, so I would also restrict gun models that are legally allowed to be sold to the public to just hunting rifles. Handguns, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, all that stuff...take it off the shelves, prohibit the sale of these products. As long as residents have the same protection as police, a country cannot be protected by its law enforcement.

Sun May 20, 2018 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

So people shouldn't be allowed to protect themselves at all? We should leave it all up to the government? That has historically worked well.

Sun May 20, 2018 9:29 pm
now we know

It works well in so many other countries. The US should at least start on the right path, albeit at a disadvantage, instead of in a super strong position, but down an ultimately unsuccessful and pointless road.

Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Owning a gun comes with responsibility, something the people in the US haven't been able to handle yet. Until they do, just banning all guns for everyone is simply the best solution right now.

Mon May 21, 2018 1:21 am
now we know

Can you imagine Americans without guns? They would go crazy thinking that Al Qaeda is going to invade.

Mon May 21, 2018 5:32 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Algren wrote:
After a deadline if you have a gun you will be fined and have it confiscated.

Think there would still be a lot of guns out there. Police officers and military need them, you can't go digging through every redneck's closet to confiscate their gun, and you can't confiscate any of the illegal ones currently out on the street

Mon May 21, 2018 8:29 am
now we know

Shack wrote:
Algren wrote:
After a deadline if you have a gun you will be fined and have it confiscated.

Think there would still be a lot of guns out there. Police officers and military need them, you can't go digging through every redneck's closet to confiscate their gun, and you can't confiscate any of the illegal ones currently out on the street

Are you one of the idiots thinking there is a quick fix to America's gun problem? Seems so with your reply. Everything starts with baby steps. Eventually the goal is to get guns out of the hands of the man in the street and only into police and military hands. That will take years. But it's the right thing to do. You know, people still own guns in the UK. Not a lot. But they are still out there. The UK police don't sit back and say "well, that's good enough". Nope. They uphold the law. Through various measures and tactics, guns are off the street. Mainly because it is cut off at the source. The US should be doing that too, but on a larger scale.

Your reply is so ignorant, in my opinion. It just sounds like you're an NRA member that comes up with any excuse when anyone suggests a solution just so people can go on keeping guns and killing children.

Mon May 21, 2018 9:32 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Algren wrote:
Those measures wouldn't change a thing because millions of guns are already out there in the marketplace. And it's crazy teenagers that steal their parents' guns that are the problem regarding school shootings. The only way is to ban all guns. Set up an amnesty for, like, a year. After a deadline if you have a gun you will be fined and have it confiscated. Honestly, in this day and age nobody really needs a gun unless you're a hunter, so I would also restrict gun models that are legally allowed to be sold to the public to just hunting rifles. Handguns, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, all that stuff...take it off the shelves, prohibit the sale of these products. As long as residents have the same protection as police, a country cannot be protected by its law enforcement.

Best post Algren has ever made.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 21, 2018 11:30 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I highly doubt the idiots in this country will ever go for a full ban on non-hunting guns. One other suggestion I have along with Algren and Corpse, is to make gun crimes a federal offense, with a large "minimum" years in prison term. I would think that would make anyone just wanting to rob a store, or break into a home, think real hard about bringing their gun.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 21, 2018 11:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next