Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Parkland, Florida 
Defeats all expectations

Post Parkland, Florida
Yet another one. :(

Quote:
Just seven weeks into 2018, there have now been eight shootings at US schools that have resulted in injury or death.

Quote:
Less than a month ago, a 15-year-old student opened fire at a high school in Kentucky, leaving two students dead and 18 injured. Other incidents have been grave, but on a smaller scale.

Quote:
In all, guns have been fired on school property in America at least 18 times so far this year, according to incidents tracked by Everytown for Gun Safety, a gun control group. In eight of these cases, a gun was fired on school property, but no one was injured. Another two incidents were gun suicides, claiming the lives of one student and one adult on school property.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/14/school-shootings-in-america-2018-how-many-so-far

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:37 pm
Romosexual!

Post Re: Parkland, Florida
It’s common thing now in murica. Schools have active shooter drills. As come as apple pie

Last edited by Rev on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:07 pm
now we know

School shootings are now more frequent than Sundays. America, sort your shit out.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

17 dead. Ugh.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 pm
Romosexual!

Algren wrote:
School shootings are now more frequent than Sundays. America, sort your shit out.

Never going to happen

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:06 pm
Defeats all expectations

Rev wrote:
Algren wrote:

Never going to happen

Don't let it become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:53 pm
Defeats all expectations

Associated Press:

Quote:
12:50 p.m.

The leader of a white nationalist militia says Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz was a member of his group and participated in paramilitary drills in Tallahassee.

Jordan Jereb told The Associated Press on Thursday that his group, the Republic of Florida, wants Florida to become its own white ethno-state. He said his group holds “spontaneous random demonstrations” and tries not to participate in the modern world.

Jereb said he didn’t know Cruz personally and that “he acted on his own behalf of what he just did and he’s solely responsible for what he just did.”

He also said he had “trouble with a girl” and he believed the timing of the attack, carried out on Valentine’s Day, wasn’t a coincidence.

Nineteen-year-old Cruz has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder in the shooting.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Infuriating

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:51 pm
Extraordinary

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

The thing with these shootings, and other articles I read, it does seem to drive an economy. An economy, where others' misfortunes create more jobs, business and wealth for others. I guess you have to draw a line somewhere, but it seems not easy one if a certain way of thinking has been ingrained into you since birth.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:18 pm
Defeats all expectations

stuffp wrote:
The thing with these shootings, and other articles I read, it does seem to drive an economy. An economy, where others' misfortunes create more jobs, business and wealth for others. I guess you have to draw a line somewhere, but it seems not easy one if a certain way of thinking has been ingrained into you since birth.

I don't quite get what you mean by that (shootings driving an economy). Can you clarify?

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:37 am
now we know

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

i.hope wrote:
stuffp wrote:

I don't quite get what you mean by that (shootings driving an economy). Can you clarify?

Without going into too much research with this:
- schools and other sites put more security measures in place, hiring external security companies or police gets stationed on-site
- people generally get a increased sense of fear through shootings, and buy more guns/ protection themselves

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:19 am
Superfreak

The tide is turning. Country stars and police officers who in the past were quiet have been speaking out over last few months. Just wait.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:52 pm
Defeats all expectations

stuffp wrote:
i.hope wrote:
stuffp wrote:

Without going into too much research with this:
- schools and other sites put more security measures in place, hiring external security companies or police gets stationed on-site
- people generally get a increased sense of fear through shootings, and buy more guns/ protection themselves

They benefit a few industries but hurt most of us.

1. First of all, they cost lives.
2. Talents are forever lost, costing future economy.
3. Survivors and people around the victims suffer from trauma, which incurs long-term medical cost.
4. Added security measures mean more taxes.
5. Security checkpoints, school closings, metal scanners, shooting drills, false alarms all cost time and money and reduce productivity and efficiency.
6. Increased surveillance reduces privacy.
7. Regular shootings induce a sense of insecurity. Bad for outdoor activities. Bad for travels. Bad for tourism.

Overall, they hurt the economy more than help it.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 pm
now we know

LOL. The cost to the economy of a few kids dying will be minimal, almost pointless mentioning it. And 3-6 will all help others get rich off the back of the shootings, so stuffp did make a legit point. The only point in your list that makes sense as a counter to his comment is number 7.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

You did not read my post.

Quote:
They benefit a few industries but hurt most of us.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 pm
now we know

I did read your post. Your list is reasons why they hurt most of us. But you can turn each one of those into a way how they benefit industries too.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

You don't seem to get the point: sum of costs > sum of benefits

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:14 pm
now we know

I do get the point (what else will you try to tell me I didn't do or don't get?), I just do not believe the costs in your list hold as much weight as you seem to be giving them. And I did not say that the benefits outweigh the costs. I am simply saying that stuffp has a legit point. The point which you have been trying to discredit since he made it.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I.hope's points may see it's effects long-long-long term negatively on the economy, but short term it's definitely increasing spending, which simply is always a good thing for a country. It's not like shootings are increasing taxes.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:29 am
The Kramer

This one does feel different. Usually after a week people have moved on to something else terrible, and with Trump in office that isn’t very difficult. But now it seems like the Youth of America has really had enough of walking into school every day wondering if you are going to be murdered. They can’t do much about it now, but these kids will start running for office eventually.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:56 am
Superfreak

I vividly remember the day that I, as a child, realized not all adults were intelligent or well intentioned.

These kids were in kindergarten for Virginia Tech & middle school for Sandy Hook.

I am sure they thought that by the time they reached high school, this would be resolved. Instead, it's worsened. Good for them.

Fucking tortured pay-for-play poster boy Rubio tonight, good lord.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:10 am
Devil's Advocate

This guy seems like a complete psychopath We Need To Talk About Kevin style. History of killing animals, was telling everyone he's going to murder, everyone at school knew he was evil and did it when they heard about the shooting, etc. He should have never gotten this far.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:39 pm
Keeping it Light

The variables often change, young man, old man, rich man, young man, (although I don't think there's been a woman shooter) but the assault rifles are always there.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next