Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Parkland, Florida 
now we know

Post Re: Parkland, Florida
If there was a female shooter it would be covered up because women have it harder than men. She was depressed because of fat shaming or negative body image and all that crap. Oh the pressure!

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

It's nice to see Walmart and Dick's Sporting Goods choosing public safety over sales.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:12 am
now we know

Walmart always chooses sales. When mass shootings happen, people binge eat, binge watch, and binge wipe-tears-from-their-face. They know this.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Well, in that case, I guess they just wanted to be ahead of the curve in gun-control and create good will from a majority of the public to secure their interests long term.
But short term, they ought to make less by taking certain product out of the store or increasing the age to buy it.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:36 am
Pure Phase

There was a shooting at the high school I attended yesterday (I am now employed in the special-ed department at a nearby elementary school). A student armed with a handgun shot his ex-girlfriend, who is in critical condition, and another student, who is stable. He was then shot dead by a policeman assigned to the school as a resource officer. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:58 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

David, I didn't know you lived down on the peninsula by NAS Pax River. I go there for work 2-3 times per year. Lovely area and from my experience much different than the rest of the state.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I thought David had been in the UK this entire time. I don't read locations much

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:45 am

No, he’s just an Anglophile

Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:29 pm
The Kramer

David wrote:
There was a shooting at the high school I attended yesterday (I am now employed in the special-ed department at a nearby elementary school). A student armed with a handgun shot his ex-girlfriend, who is in critical condition, and another student, who is stable. He was then shot dead by a policeman assigned to the school as a resource officer. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html
So this is probably the best case scenario for the “good guy with a gun” argument. Only 2 dead children - yay!

Sorry this had to happen so close to home though. I’m so very grateful we didn’t have to deal with this. There had only been like 2 or 3 shootings total when I was in high school.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
David wrote:
So this is probably the best case scenario for the “good guy with a gun” argument. Only 2 dead children - yay!

Sorry this had to happen so close to home though. I’m so very grateful we didn’t have to deal with this. There had only been like 2 or 3 shootings total when I was in high school.

https://www.vox.com/cards/gun-violence-facts/gun-homicide-decline-crime-drop

And schools are safer than they were in the 90s.

Https://news.northeastern.edu/2018/02/schools-are-still-one-of-the-safest-places-for-children-researcher-says/

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

This is happening in DC and across the country. #MarchforOurLives

@OfficialJoelF

@washingtonpost

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:50 pm
Defeats all expectations

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:52 pm
Defeats all expectations

Defeats all expectations

Defeats all expectations

Defeats all expectations

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:53 pm

These little fascists are so trite.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Every generation just wants to have their rebellious I'm-changing-the-world protest. They hear stories of anti-Vietnam protests or the women's suffrage procession and it's almost like they expect it as a rite of passage. Birth, puberty, college, protest, marriage, buy property, reproduction, and death. It's usually in or around the time one is at university, when they feel really intellectual (they've thought about politics for a few minutes and have made absolute conclusions), they want to be part of something, and being part of something that is anti-government is super cool. Some people stay in this bubble for their entire lives. Most people grow out of it because they know these marches don't really change anything.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:17 pm
Profile WWW

Algren wrote:
Every generation just wants to have their rebellious I'm-changing-the-world protest. They hear stories of anti-Vietnam protests or the women's suffrage procession and it's almost like they expect it as a rite of passage. Birth, puberty, college, protest, marriage, buy property, reproduction, and death. It's usually in or around the time one is at university, when they feel really intellectual (they've thought about politics for a few minutes and have made absolute conclusions), they want to be part of something, and being part of something that is anti-government is super cool. Some people stay in this bubble for their entire lives. Most people grow out of it because they know these marches don't really change anything.

I think there is some truth here except I would say the bulk of these kids are more historically illiterate than previous "rebellious" generations.

Your last sentence is key.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:

Yeah, these young people experienced school shootings first-hand, heard and escaped gunshots that killed their classmates, ran and hid for their own lives. I guess they must have expected these shootings as their rite of passage.

Or just like the American Revolution that gave birth to the USA, or the Civil Rights movement that led to desegregation. These snowflake Americans experienced their rite of passage.

And the march is nothing anti-government. They are simply exercising their citizens' rights to change policies.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:46 pm
Defeats all expectations

And the NRA says they are not lobbyists. People would be stupid not to mobilize and counter the lobbyists' influence.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:04 pm

What is the source for that? I looked at his Tweet and no source is provided or within the comments. Is it contributions or targeted ads or what? The NRA doesn't contribute much. See the below link to Open Secrets which tracks spending based on Federal Election Committee reportings.

The NRA barely donates at all. It has power based on its voting members and those that sympathize and not due to money. People are too stupid to realize this. If having the most money was all that mattered, Hillary would have won or Jeff Bezos will win.

It spent more like $1M in 2016.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/totals.php?id=D000000082&type=P&cycle=A#affiliates

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Caius wrote:
What is the source for that?

Independent Expenditures
https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/indexpend.php?cycle=2016&cmte=C00053553

Outside Spending
https://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespending/detail.php?cycle=2016&cmte=National+Rifle+Assn

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:26 pm
Superfreak

These kids are more than rebels. They were in kindergarten for Virginia Tech, middle school for Sandy Hook, and have seen the big shootings since then. They clearly thought this issue would have been figured out by the time they themselves were 18.

All sides should agree is pathetic how predictable these are.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:45 pm
Superfreak

Amazing to me that fucking Tokyo and India held marches.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next