Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Will NET NEUTRALITY be saved? 
A very honest-hearted fellow

Post Re: Will NET NEUTRALITY be saved?
i.hope wrote:
Caius wrote:

I thought the U.S. was going to fail when Net Neutrality ended last year and was devolving, at least per some self- proclaimed knowledgeable citizens. Get ready for "but it would have went up 63% prior to the old rule ending."

Oh, net neutrality rules ended June 11 this year, not last year. The report you quoted covered 2018 Q2, when the rules were still in effect.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/10/technology/net-neutrality-end-date/index.html

And it's not only about internet speed, which will increase with technological advance. You can have fast internet and selective connection hobbling at the same time (Look at some big cities in China.). People eventually adapt to censorship. Above all, net neutrality is about freedom of choice.

And you think internet providers will mess with net traffic right away? That's not how it works. They will want things to cool down first before they act (against consumers' interests).

The FCC voted to repeal the "Net Neutrality'" rules at the end of 2017 all that remained was following the Adminstrative Procedures Act for writing the actual rule ending it. Yes, the rule did not go into effect until later but the decision had been made and any smart company would start implementing plans immediately.

My point has nothing to do with what internet providers will or will not do. It is simply that the world did not end and speeds were up. Just because you favor some gigantic corporations (Google/Facebook/Netflix) over other gigantic corporations (Comcast/Verizon/AT&T) doesn't mean that you know what you're talking about and also that the world did not end, contrary to folks like you that claimed so.

Want to lay down a bet now that overall speeds in the U.S. don't decline next year either but rather increase again? We can revisit the thread again in 2019.

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

The repeal was practically effective after June 11, 2018 because it first needed to clear a legally required public comment period and after that it would be approved by the OMB so that the new rules would not be burdensome for the ISPs.

86% of Americans opposed the repeal of net neutrality, a poll by University of Maryland found (Link: http://www.publicconsultation.org/united-states/overwhelming-bipartisan-public-opposition-to-repealing-net-neutrality-persists/). But according to you, Caius, a company is smart to implement fast lanes and slow lanes and start throttling web traffic immediately when Americans are overwhelmingly against it. Very smart PR strategy indeed.

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:00 pm

i.hope wrote:
The repeal was practically effective after June 11, 2018 because it first needed to clear a legally required public comment period and after that it would be approved by the OMB so that the new rules would not be burdensome for the ISPs.

86% of Americans opposed the repeal of net neutrality, a poll by University of Maryland found (Link: http://www.publicconsultation.org/united-states/overwhelming-bipartisan-public-opposition-to-repealing-net-neutrality-persists/). But according to you, Caius, a company is smart to implement fast lanes and slow lanes and start throttling web traffic immediately when Americans are overwhelmingly against it. Very smart PR strategy indeed.

What % of those actually know what "net neutrality" is? Do you think 86% of Americans are even on the Internet? America elected Donald Trump, why are you so high on their grasp of facts? I bet 86% of Americans are also in favor of something called "The Helping People Act" (something I made up) because it sounds good.

Kind of like liberal Washington State voters being in favor of helping the environment per polls and yet voting against a carbon tax.

According to me, I think most big corporations only care about the bottom line. According to you, some big corporations (Google, Facebook (that had Russian ads/memes) and Netflix) "care" about us beyond the bottom line and some other big corporations (AT&T/Comcast/Verizon) only care about the bottom line and hate their customers.

"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices." --Adam Smith.

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:22 pm
Profile WWW

Today is the anniversary of Net Neutrality taking effect. Who will step forth and admit that they were wrong and the internet didn't end?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Nobody said the internet would end. But good luck putting your trust in multi-billion dollar corporations! I'm sure they won't fuck you over.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2