Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 British Comedians in the US 
now we know

Post British Comedians in the US
Since the likes of Ricky Gervais and James Corden have been going to America on chat shows and making films, I've been intrigued by whether Americans find them funny. I mean, they obviously like them because they're doing rather well in America. Corden has his own show which, sure, has people telling the audience when to laugh, and Gervais hosted the Globes multiple times. But do Americans really find them funny? Is their humour understandable? Do people pander to them because they're British?

Gervais' films have never done too well, which suggests something but I'm not really sure what. When on chat shows (and Corden on his own show) people are always laughing and getting their humour. But when Americans are on, for example, The Graham Norton Show, I always get the sense that there is an odd disconnect between US and British humour.

The reason these two are especially interesting is because they were popular in the UK as well, which is why my interest doesn't really work for chat show hosts such as Craig Ferguson and John Oliver. I guess I would also be interested in an average American's opinion on Russell Brand too. I don't believe he anywhere near as popular as Gervais or Corden, at least not for comedy, but he has appeared in films so there is clearly something there. But what is it?

Can British comedians only be funny to Americans if they are fat? American comedians have to be dashing and have the last laugh, whereas British humour is more about the loser. Is that something that's alive in how Americans enjoy the differences of our humour?

Any opinion at all would be interesting for me (as long as it's from real Americans).

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: British Comedians in the US
I tend to like British humor better than American humor overall (there are of course exceptions on both sides). Besides the ones you mentioned, I also very much enjoy Monty Python, Beyond the Fringe, Peter Sellers, Rowan Atkinson, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, and a whole slew of great British comedians. For that matter, Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel.

Russel Brand hasn't impressed me much, though.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corden is great. Gervais is alright. I don't notice any sort of correlation between the fact that they're british.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:31 am
now we know

Groucho wrote:
I also very much enjoy Monty Python, Beyond the Fringe, Peter Sellers, Rowan Atkinson, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, and a whole slew of great British comedians.

How well known was Rowan Atkinson, I wonder. Did a lot of Americans watch Blackadder and Mr. Bean? And would Americans know him by name?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
Groucho wrote:
I also very much enjoy Monty Python, Beyond the Fringe, Peter Sellers, Rowan Atkinson, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, and a whole slew of great British comedians.

How well known was Rowan Atkinson, I wonder. Did a lot of Americans watch Blackadder and Mr. Bean? And would Americans know him by name?

Those were pretty popular here. I mean, not huge but I think most people know him. And he did a few films too, of course, including a Mr. Bean one.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I think most don't know his real name, but would know that's Mr. Bean. I don't think weight has much to do with it. I loved Mr. Bean though. We used to watch it every friday in school. Either that, Reading Rainbows, or or Mr. Rogers.

Love the Graham Norton show. Obviously Monty Python, Spaced, Extras,

I think the only thing British I've yet to really try is Dr. Who. Can I start with whoever the current Dr. is, or do I really need to start at the beginning of the revival, I guess it would be the Ninth Doctor?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:21 pm
Superman: The Movie

Gervais is very funny, but I think he’s making a smart career move by laying low right now. Those Golden Globes gigs I think got on some people’s nerves. It’ll be interesting to see what he does next.

Corden has the unfortunate task of following Craig Ferguson. He’s basically the British Jimmy Fallon except I think he’s more well-rounded from a talent standpoint. If his show was cancelled tomorrow he could probably have som success as a character actor or go on Broadway. Fallon had already pretty much failed as an actor before Late Night came along. Corden is pretty much unwatchable for me though. He’s way too needy and has a face only a fist could love. And what does it say about his show that the only time it’s mentioned in pop culture it’s because he’s doing another dumb carpool karaoke segment? Also like Fallon, whenever he has to be serious, it comes across as hollow and forced.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 pm
Profile WWW

The car karaoke and the film career sketches are brilliant.

I think Corden is quite possibly the worst Late Night Host since Chevy Chase. His writers saves him, and the fact that he stole Norton's format makes him look fresh to American audiences.

Fallon is brilliant for the social media aspect. But I don't get why he "needs" to be serious. No Tonight Show was serious (Yes before Carson it was a little more Charlie Rose)

There is just too many formats now. And Ferguson was much better even though I love Corden's format. He is just such a wimp.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:23 pm
now we know

Thegun wrote:
I think the only thing British I've yet to really try is Dr. Who. Can I start with whoever the current Dr. is, or do I really need to start at the beginning of the revival, I guess it would be the Ninth Doctor?

The only thing? Are you sure?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thegun wrote:

Nah, no need to go back. I started watching a few years ago and got into it, and haven't even tried to watch the old episodes. I may miss a few references every now and then but Dr. Who isn't meant to be taken very seriously or anything. Just sit back and have fun.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Thegun wrote:
Fallon is brilliant for the social media aspect. But I don't get why he "needs" to be serious. No Tonight Show was serious (Yes before Carson it was a little more Charlie Rose)

Who said he needs to be serious? When I was talking about Corden, I said “when he has to be serious”. Just watch either of their speeches after the Las Vegas shooting. Then watch Letterman, Conan or Stewart’s after 9/11. I don’t think anyone is complaining that The Tonight Show is lacking in seriousness. My biggest complaint is that Fallon doesn’t have a backbone or an ounce of sincerity in him. Corden at least seems to be genuinely having a good time.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Jmart wrote:
My biggest complaint is that Fallon doesn’t have a backbone or an ounce of sincerity in him. Corden at least seems to be genuinely having a good time.

Very good observation, and I agree.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45 pm
Profile WWW

Jmart wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Who said he needs to be serious? When I was talking about Corden, I said “when he has to be serious”. Just watch either of their speeches after the Las Vegas shooting. Then watch Letterman, Conan or Stewart’s after 9/11. I don’t think anyone is complaining that The Tonight Show is lacking in seriousness. My biggest complaint is that Fallon doesn’t have a backbone or an ounce of sincerity in him. Corden at least seems to be genuinely having a good time.

I mean he has absolute sincerity to him when you watch a clip like this. He has no interest in making bad comments and wants his guests to have fun. He is part of the old tier of talk show. Ellen is there too. I would say Colbert is doing a character. Seth and James are so happy to have their jobs. But come on, Conan and Craig at their primes eagues better in their time slots. Walker Texas Ranger Lever vs. Car Karaoke (Which is Seinfeld Ripoff, and his entire show is a Graham Norton ripoff) I can't get behind Gorden because when he tries to be serious he is awful. And Colbert is Schtick. Fallon is him. Does he have an Ego of course, he deserves after years of ridicule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvYTUSez_0

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]