Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 San Antonio church shooting 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Las Vegas shooting
Break ins happen all the time. Just because some people are afraid of guns just existing does not mean there's anything wrong with law abiding citizens having them for defense. There's absolutely no reason I shouldn't have a gun as long as I don't use it to shoot people.

There's certainly a balance that can be found between having a right to own guns and not. Doing extensive background checks should be good enough.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:29 pm
Hold the door!

I don't see how it's good to live in a society where the government has access to guns and the populace doesn't. I can understand gun control, but wanting guns banned just weakens the populace so they're easier to control.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:31 pm
Devil's Advocate

Algren wrote:
Shack wrote:
Algren wrote:
If police take a few minutes to get places, why do you need a gun? No matter what your argument is, zwackerm, a system of no guns works in so many other countries, so it obviously works. It is not really up for debate. The only thing to consider is the simple-minded American's aversion to change for the greater good. Americans preach values and philanthropy, but that's all it is...words. Which is why you get what you deserve...mass shootings. Another record for your country to be proud of.

They don't have gun culture like the US.

The US used to have a slave culture and that was abolished. Something worth doing doesn't get stopped by fear of it being a hassle.

The analogy for me is more like if slavery was abolished like murder is now, but in the 1800s in this culture people still illegally owned slaves and the police didn't have the resources to stop them. So what do you do? Slave ownership is already illegal with massive consequences if you do it and they don't care. You can't create another law to stop it. The anti-gun argument is like banning chains so they can't lock up the slaves. I don't think that stops them. They'll find a way to get those chains illegally, use rope, etc. In fact most of the chains they use were already bought illegally so nobody would suspect they have slaves so the new chain law makes no difference to them. The anti-chain groups are saying that chains are illegal in Europe and there's no slaves there so it must work.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 pm
On autopilot for the summer

zwackerm wrote:
Break ins happen all the time. Just because some people are afraid of guns just existing does not mean there's anything wrong with law abiding citizens having them for defense. There's absolutely no reason I shouldn't have a gun as long as I don't use it to shoot people.

There's certainly a balance that can be found between having a right to own guns and not. Doing extensive background checks should be good enough.

That's misguided though. The so called "law abiding ones" would be the first to give them up, if it actually happened.

The only explanation people have is the Amendment. How many have actually defended themselves? It is a sadly underdeveloped law that has been mishandled over the years, and one that will not change because it will cause so much damage overall. I have no problem with people owning guns for said purposes, but it's not the world it was. One bullet is enough, you don't need 48 guns. America is a place where 100s of people won't storm your home. Limits and bans are the only way to move forward. You take away the Amendment, you will have all out war, even though that's the honest solution.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:57 pm
Keeping it Light

zwackerm wrote:
I don't see how it's good to live in a society where the government has access to guns and the populace doesn't. I can understand gun control, but wanting guns banned just weakens the populace so they're easier to control.

You're right zwackerm, because the government has access to them, the populace should all be allowed to have a nuke in their backyard too.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:29 pm
On autopilot for the summer

The fact that this guy is striving to be a teacher mystifies me. God help you! and get arrested early in your career. And if you don't please keep your morals out of it and just be a teacher.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:20 pm
---------

stuffp wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

You're right zwackerm, because the government has access to them, the populace should all be allowed to have a nuke in their backyard too.

This is the ultimate rebuttal to the whole "I want to protect myself against my government" fantasy scenario. I can't believe people continually argue against gun control using that line of reasoning.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 pm
Hold the door!

MGKC wrote:
stuffp wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

This is the ultimate rebuttal to the whole "I want to protect myself against my government" fantasy scenario. I can't believe people continually argue against gun control using that line of reasoning.

I said I wasn't opposed to gun control. Just a gun ban.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:16 pm
---------

zwackerm wrote:
I said I wasn't opposed to gun control. Just a gun ban.

Ya, either way, that same line of reasoning comes up over and over again. It's 2017 - if a modern US-sized government (for some wild reason) wanted to control its citizens through force, guns owned by citizens aren't going to stand in its way with the kinds of tools it has at its disposal.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

Brazil is an example of a country with strict gun laws yet leads the world in murders and it's gone up since they put in the law. Same goes for some other countries like Mexico and Venezuela. They are considering loosening the gun laws so citizens can protect themselves more.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:27 am
Forum General

Never not relevant:

http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way- ... y-ha-57086

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:45 am
now we know

Shack wrote:
Brazil is an example of a country with strict gun laws yet leads the world in murders and it's gone up since they put in the law. Same goes for some other countries like Mexico and Venezuela. They are considering loosening the gun laws so citizens can protect themselves more.

I do not believe that is comparable at all. Brazil is a developing nation with high bribery rates and dirty police. The US of A is APPARENTLY a fully developed nation capable of managing such an imposition.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

There's no reason the rest of the developed world can get by without easy access to guns and we can't.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:03 am
Cream of the Crop

Shack wrote:
The analogy for me is more like if slavery was abolished like murder is now, but in the 1800s in this culture people still illegally owned slaves and the police didn't have the resources to stop them.
Physical slavery has evolved into economic slavery - if citizens really wanted to abolish slavery, they would take ownership of the banks and corporations.

You're right! Even though it was already linked in the 5th post in this thread, it remains never not relevant.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:55 am
Superfreak

I am still a tremendous driver sat over the legal limit of alcohol. So many, I would suspect.

However, I don't bitch because I know that plenty are not. And its for the greater good to have the minority removed.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

Excel wrote:
I am still a tremendous driver sat over the legal limit of alcohol. So many, I would suspect.

However, I don't bitch because I know that plenty are not. And its for the greater good to have the minority removed.

Should we ban all cars to prevent drunk driving deaths?

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:55 pm
now we know

Yeah Shack, and if mass shootings were accidents, I'd agree with your sarcastic take.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The guy's brother is like Joss Whedon on steroids. What a weirdo. This whole thing is bizarre.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:59 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

The argument that cars, knives, golf clubs, a glass bottle, or whatever, have to be considered when discussing gun control/bans is simply ignorant. It's not even an excuse, let alone a "reasoning". It's a whiny, "but Mom!" childish response.

I saw this unfortunate guy in a video yesterday attempting to "defend" gun rights by using this argument. He began by shooting a target ~50 feet away with a gun, and then proceeded to commit the same "act of violence" with a golf club (now an assault club)... except, you know, it taking way more time to reach the target, and assuming said target couldn't run away, fight back, or grab the club itself.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Algren wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:
A CBS VP said they were not sympathetic towards the victims because fans at country music shows are often "Republican gun toters".

Jesus, America. What an awful hateful country you have created. Such divide.

While I'm sympathetic she's not wrong in her generalization. I'm sure 90% of the people there were Trump loving Republicans who are against tougher gun regulations and I can understand feeling less sympathetic towards that particular group of people.

Whether she's right or not is not the point. There is a cancer in the US that if something bad happens to a Republican, it is deemed acceptable to be happy about that. What's wrong with you people? This is not progress.

Except she never said she was happy about it, nor did I. I'm not happy about it.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:45 pm
now we know

Saying you're not sympathetic to victims of a mass shooting is still not a nice thing to say, and by saying that you know you're going to cause even more of a divide. Happy or not, it's generally not a nice quality to behold.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Barrabás wrote:
The guy's brother is like Joss Whedon on steroids. What a weirdo. This whole thing is bizarre.

He actually reminds me of Chris Elliott in There's Something About Mary

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:24 am
Defeats all expectations

Corpse wrote:
The argument that cars, knives, golf clubs, a glass bottle, or whatever, have to be considered when discussing gun control/bans is simply ignorant. It's not even an excuse, let alone a "reasoning". It's a whiny, "but Mom!" childish response.

I saw this unfortunate guy in a video yesterday attempting to "defend" gun rights by using this argument. He began by shooting a target ~50 feet away with a gun, and then proceeded to commit the same "act of violence" with a golf club (now an assault club)... except, you know, it taking way more time to reach the target, and assuming said target couldn't run away, fight back, or grab the club itself.

Either these people are brainwashed by the NRA propaganda or they are the ones spreading cowshirt.

Guns are inherently designed to kill or hurt the targets. Cars, knives, golf clubs, glass bottles are not. Guns are lethal, fast, long-range weapons that give the targets little time to respond within multiple shots. And bullets travel by themselves after trigger without human help. I can't say the same about the others.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Some Conservatives rather resort to conspiracy theories than believe that law protecting the purchase of military grade weapons is anything dangerous.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:20 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

stuffp wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

The country is unlikely to nuke its populace as it would lay waste to the state itself, but as liberals point out constantly, its police shoot unarmed black people all the time. So if I have it right, we don't need guns because the state would never harm us but also the state kills unarmed black people and Trump is Hitler. OK then.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next