Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bill Maher needs to survive this "controversy" 
Pure Phase

Post Bill Maher needs to survive this "controversy"
I am going to be so angry if Real Time is axed. At worst, his quip is in poor taste, though I honestly found it rather funny in the context of the interview. The self-cannibalizing left, those who feel any dud one-liner or minuscule moral infraction requires a thousand deeply felt think pieces, have chased him in the past: they giggle when he jabs at Christian hypocrisy, but feign outrage when he comments on Islam, etc. I know they smell blood in the water today and will circle at lightning speed.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:36 pm
---------

Post Re: Bill Maher needs to survive this "controversy"
Agreed - it would be crazy to end it over this. I don't think HBO will do that.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:56 pm
Romosexual!

He'll survive lol

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:29 pm
Hold the door!

Good thing he's a democrat.

Poor Paula Deen.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:17 pm
Defeats all expectations

zwackerm wrote:
Good thing he's a democrat.

Poor Paula Deen.

Paula Deen is on another level. Her mode of comedy is spontaneous and almost effortless. Unfortunately, she was on the wrong network. Oh how I missed her jokes.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:08 pm
now we know

It's not even in poor taste. It was funny. I'm not one of those morons that believes NOBODY APART FROM BLACKS CAN USE THE N-WORD. It's a word to be used, and it was properly used here in a good quip. Props to Maher for pushing the envelope and riling the PC brigade. If he had a nigger on his show and started whipping him while saying "work, nigger! work!", then ok that's in poor taste, but Jesus, this is so fucking tame and nothing alike.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I love the show, and believe it will stay on, but he should know better. This is the one word where nobody cares about context. You can't just drop it casually like that. I think a big fine, a "voluntary" charitable donation and a week off would be a suitable punishment.

That being said, SJWs need to take a chill pill. Bill is one of the good guys and spreads the liberal gospel to a different type of audience. Bill getting the axe would make the ugly side of the party feel big and important for a week, but the real world consequence is Trump having a better chance of reelection in 2020. We don't need an extra 5 million+ people being bitter about thin-skinned pussy liberals.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:42 am
No surprise here, but I find this all to be lunacy. It was a statement made in a humorous context, he wasn't calling anyone a nigger or anything of the sort. What is the big deal? People can say faggot, cunt, beaner, wetback, etc to no end in a comedy setting without this level of pushback so why is "nigger" (or nigga, whatever) so out of bounds?

And the idea of a fine or punishing him with a week off is ridiculous. There should be no punishment--he didn't do anything. It's like all these delicate SJWs know they can't really ever get anything done in regards to this current administration--as that batch simply don't care what these people have to say--so they just come down hard on anyone they know might listen who says anything that isn't pre-approved and non-offensive to anyone who ever lived or may ever live.

I wish people would develop thicker skin. If someone making a joke/jest/whathaveyou (as, again, Bill didn't call anyone a nigger, he just used the word in a joking context) is such a body-blow to you and your day, then maybe public life isn't for you? A nice shack in the woods or a basement where you can get food delivered might cater to those delicate sensibilities since the harsh reality of other people is just too much.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

He might have been able to survive just a joke with the N word alone, but I think what will do him in is this is just the straw that broke the camel's back, SJWs have been looking for an excuse to get him out for the Islamophobia, giving a platform to Milo, etc. for a while

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:09 pm

This is the frustrating thing. There is a legit portion of the liberal movement that has the ability to address the growing gap between the rich and poor in this coutry and the growing resentment towards science and intellectualism. Instead, "liberals" and the direction of the Democrat party is fixiated on race relations. This is back firing greatly and only dividing the country allowing scum like Trump to get elected.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:19 pm
The Kramer

Malcolm wrote:
No surprise here, but I find this all to be lunacy. It was a statement made in a humorous context, he wasn't calling anyone a nigger or anything of the sort. What is the big deal? People can say faggot, cunt, beaner, wetback, etc to no end in a comedy setting without this level of pushback so why is "nigger" (or nigga, whatever) so out of bounds?

And the idea of a fine or punishing him with a week off is ridiculous. There should be no punishment--he didn't do anything. It's like all these delicate SJWs know they can't really ever get anything done in regards to this current administration--as that batch simply don't care what these people have to say--so they just come down hard on anyone they know might listen who says anything that isn't pre-approved and non-offensive to anyone who ever lived or may ever live.

I wish people would develop thicker skin. If someone making a joke/jest/whathaveyou (as, again, Bill didn't call anyone a nigger, he just used the word in a joking context) is such a body-blow to you and your day, then maybe public life isn't for you? A nice shack in the woods or a basement where you can get food delivered might cater to those delicate sensibilities since the harsh reality of other people is just too much.
Yeah, but we live in a world where Moonlight wins best picture so Hollywood can make up for giving african-americans and homosexuals thousands of quality jobs that come with luxurious lifestyles. If HBO does nothing the controversy will just balloon until they have to fire him just to get people to shut the fuck up. If Maher just goes away for a week or two it will all blow over and the SJWs will find something else to get mad about.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:37 pm
The Kramer

Magnus wrote:
Maher does not give a fuck about addressing gap between rich and poor. And he's been proven to be a bigot enough times before this that he doesn't get a pass for this.

Just because he's a better scum than right wing personalities doesn't make him not a scum. His decline in relevancy is a benefit to society.
Why? Because he points out the bigotry in other cultures? Specifically yours. :P

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:40 pm
New Server, Same X

It wasn't a great idea to use the word, but for the record, a comedian like George Carlin used the word in his act, and he wasn't using it in an offensive tone. Words are words. Was it a poor choice? Yeah, it was. But he shouldn't lose his job over it.

Comparing this to Kathy Griffin is silly. One made a poor decision in the moment and used an offensive word. One emulated a malicious attack on the president. I think they should both be allowed to make those statements and expect the consequences. But hers was worse.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:30 pm
New Server, Same X

David, do you regularly watch Maher? I've been watching for about six, seven years. Ever since the show after Trump was elected, I find Maher is slurring his words slightly through the monologue and the first half hour. I know he smokes weed, but it feels like he's been drinking too. He also missed a performance back in January, where he coincidentally seemed to be back to his normal self until recently, especially Friday.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:32 pm
Pure Phase

I try to catch every episode, though not always live. His post-Trump run thus far is not prime Maher, but I have not noticed an enormous dip in vigor or vision.

It is an odd comedy show in the way the opening monologue tends to be just all right, almost halfhearted, compared to the always funnier and more dynamic finale, particularly New Rules.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Magnus wrote:
Maher does not give a fuck about addressing gap between rich and poor. And he's been proven to be a bigot enough times before this that he doesn't get a pass for this.

Just because he's a better scum than right wing personalities doesn't make him not a scum. His decline in relevancy is a benefit to society.

It's so amusing watching left leaning people/libertarians defend Maher though and then go crazy when they can't imagine how right wing people defend people Ike Bill O'Reilly, Alex Jones, etc. Maher is better than those people but he still has valid issues that should diminish his star power. The mentality you have to defend him isn't far off from the mentality that people have defending those right wing manipulators.

Fair enough, I don't watch Maher too closely, so I cannot speak for his entire rhetoric.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:51 pm
now we know

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
This is the one word where nobody cares about context.

Correct. They don't. THAT's the problem society should be trying to fix, not ganging up on one man that used one word in the hope that it will solve racism. The funny (frustrating) thing is that if it was, say, Eddie Murphy using that word (same context, same line) ... this thread would not even exist.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
. Instead, "liberals" and the direction of the Democrat party is fixiated on race relations. This is back firing greatly and only dividing the country allowing scum like Trump to get elected.

They're afraid if they don't constantly white knight every time someone says the N word, they'll lose more of the black vote.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:10 am
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
They're afraid if they don't constantly white knight every time someone says the N word, they'll lose more of the black vote.

That's a funny expression.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:22 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'm on the Magnus side of this one. I'm indifferent towards him, he does some good things. But man, he's mostly a bigot. And he gives platforms to some of the most vile people.

I don't think what he said was what should end his run... but the many things he's said over the years should've.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:34 am
The Original

He is more into housekeeping instead of labour in the open.
What is wrong with that?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am
New Server, Same X

Last night's show was pretty good. The convos with Michael Eric Dyson and Symone Sanders were great, I felt a little bit of tension between Maher and Ice Cube. Maher could have handled himself a little better on that, but overall, I don't think this will cause lasting damage. One of the other guests brought up a solid point that America needs to accept apologies and redirect attention to those who don't apologize for their indiscretions and hold them accountable. I'll take someone who made a poor joke to someone who actively harbours resentment and contempt for groups of people (i.e. the entire Trump administration).

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:52 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

It is frustrating that a white male can make a poor joke and apologize and survive any blow back... but that doesn't seem to always be the case for any woman/poc. (see: kathy griffin) (not that her "joke" wasn't leaps and bounds worse, imo)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:02 pm
The Original

Mahers joke was stupid ok....but people with some backbone should be able to call "Fuck off" to him and leave it.

But Griffins was just fucking crossing the line.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:15 pm

The real problems with the African-American community is economic disparity, a draconian legal system, and poor inner city public education. Getting all bent out of shape about racial slurs undermines these real problems and just let's us feel good while this vicious cycle continues in the inner cities.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next