Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Bye WoKJ! 
Site Owner

Post Bye WoKJ!
As of this moment, I'm no longer the owner.

I look back, and have many regrets. This site never became what I wanted, and most of that lies on me. For much of the time, it felt like being underwater, kicking furiously to breach the surface, but having it remain out of reach. Years ago, furiously kicking was accurate. Of late it's been more like my lungs and reflexes forced me to breath, water flowed inward, and I've been blankly staring at the surface since waiting for the end.

This is the end.

Bleak, but the other reality here is that I wouldn't change anything that brought me to this point. Even as an owner, I would mostly describe myself as a lurker, and have never felt fully a part of this community, I'm not sure I ever deserved entry. Does a shepherd feel a part of the herd? Maybe to a point, but he's still not a sheep, and that's how I've existed here, for better or worse. BOM treated this community like an inconvenience, which led to this becoming a temporary home, the first of many over the years. I've met some amazing people, none more-so than Arsalan, who is singular and special. Beyond that, this site literally changed my life: I was forced to become more technically astute, found I loved it, switched my focus in school, and my career sprung forward from there. I only wish I had the skills I do now when Arsi and I were so engaged, things would have been different. My lack of ability is without a doubt the single biggest aspect which held us down, and that ... I don't know, it's just there, flicking my ear every so often.

I've been thrilled to have the pleasure of providing a home to all of you. I haven't been perfect, I've learned along the way, but I thank everyone for growing with me. You've all shaped what this place is, as well as each other, and that's been fun. I started as a single college kid, I end as a father of two and a professional. Unreal journey.

I wish immense luck to Lecter, Magnus, and MadGez, your new shepherds (I'll let them share details).

Bye for now!

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Bye WoKJ!
Fare well Eagle!

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:17 am
Site Owner

Magnus wrote:
You've always been apart the community Karl. whatever disappointment you have in what KJ didn't become, you should take pride in creating a community that many people came to love. Sure people have left but it doesnt take away the years they spent on these forums engaging with others.

You created something special even if it wasn't perfect or ideal. And for that, I thank you.

I do take pride in that, though I'd argue you all did it yourselves, I just provided a canvas. Nothing degrades what this place is and was, and it's been much to many, I just wish it had grown to a wider reach. Either way, all is good.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Owner

tree and a half wrote:
Fare well Eagle!

Thanks, I'm not leaving. No imposed posting bans or anything of that ilk. Just handing over the reigns, will still leave the door open to posting if I ever feel compelled.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:29 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I haven't been here for long but thanks for all your efforts Eagle and hope you start posting here more often now :thumbsup:

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:41 am
Romosexual!

So long and thanks for all the fish :D

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:59 am
Devil's Advocate

Thanks for everything Eagle!

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:03 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

You were a great owner. Always treated everyone with respect. I'm glad I've been able to also watch your personal life grow. Despite most of our hatred towards one another, I do feel like we're all somewhat friends.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:14 am
New Server, Same X

Karl, you provided a fun sanctuary for me and many, many others. I never felt compelled to post my thoughts anywhere else and still don't. If KJ left tomorrow, I'd just have to expel my feelings to those around me, which would probably be great for all of you and bad for them.

I came here out of necessity in 2004, but I stayed because, for better or worse, I loved interacting with you all. The faces may come and go, but I still feel like a fucked-up family. And that's all thanks to you, Karl. I hope to see you around here more often, less a lurker and more a poster.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:29 am
Top Poster

Thanks Eagle!

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Eagle wrote:
tree and a half wrote:
Fare well Eagle!

Thanks, I'm not leaving. No imposed posting bans or anything of that ilk. Just handing over the reigns, will still leave the door open to posting if I ever feel compelled.
I meant it in the two-word LOTR sense ('fare' comes from the Old English word faran, which means "to journey".) More like: Best wishes in all your future endeavors.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:14 pm
The Wall

Thank you for everything Eagle! Whatever your personal opinion and wishes for WOKJ are/were I'm grateful we have this site.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Best wishes for the future and thx for all the work!
:thumbsup:

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:37 pm
Pure Phase

Fair winds and following seas.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:50 pm
Site Owner

Mister Ecks wrote:
Karl, you provided a fun sanctuary for me and many, many others. I never felt compelled to post my thoughts anywhere else and still don't. If KJ left tomorrow, I'd just have to expel my feelings to those around me, which would probably be great for all of you and bad for them.

I came here out of necessity in 2004, but I stayed because, for better or worse, I loved interacting with you all. The faces may come and go, but I still feel like a fucked-up family. And that's all thanks to you, Karl. I hope to see you around here more often, less a lurker and more a poster.

:thumbsup:

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Chippy wrote:
You were a great owner. Always treated everyone with respect. I'm glad I've been able to also watch your personal life grow. Despite most of our hatred towards one another, I do feel like we're all somewhat friends.

I had to read this twice to make sure I wasn't supposed to hate you.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

lol thank you for creating this place. It's my one constant online the past 13 + years

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:00 pm
Keeping it Light

I was late to the party, but the forum has been my favorite place to visit online since I joined. Thank you for starting it all Eagle!

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:16 pm
now we know

So the site has FINALLY changed hands.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 01, 2017 1:30 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Eagle wrote:
Chippy wrote:

I had to read this twice to make sure I wasn't supposed to hate you.

I still have yet to learn to write well.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 01, 2017 10:33 am
Superfreak

Thanks to Eagle for a tremendous past and thanks to the new trio for a tremendous future.

Mon May 01, 2017 8:39 pm
---------

Excel wrote:
Thanks to Eagle for a tremendous past and thanks to the new trio for a tremendous future.

Well said!

Thanks Eagle for keeping us all afloat up this point - not sure what we'd do without it!!

Mon May 01, 2017 9:15 pm
Angels & Demons

Karl, as the developer and owner of my own site I can tell you that the way you felt was normal. There's no need to feel anything but accomplishment. Thank you for all you did for this community, and enjoy retirement.

EZ

http://www.ez1productions.com

Mon May 01, 2017 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Da Bears

Awww. :(

Tue May 02, 2017 6:25 pm
Profile YIM
Killing With Kindness

Take care, you will be missed.