Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Most annoying KJ Member 2016 

KJ's Most Annoying Member
The Trump Hating New Dad 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
The Trump Hating Lady 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Trump Hating Guy who writes weird Sherlock Holmes books 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
La La Land should have every damn Oscar! #OscarsSoBlack 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
The Contrarian 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Moana made him jizz 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Friendzoned by Melissa Benoist 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Best Picture Whisperer 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Every movie coming out looks like shit 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Rev 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Every DC Movie will open to $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Admitted Trump Supporter 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I WILL MURDER ANYONE W/O A XMAS AVATAR!!!! 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Underworld Blood Wars is better than La La Land 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Zwackerm anal raped a guy on new year's eve! 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Passengers has an amazing script, will be an amazing movie! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B- is a really good grade guys! 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
I have a gay crush on Algren 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
The guy who pretends to support Trump to piss people off 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Picking first in the draft is not fair! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 40

Most annoying KJ Member 2016 
Pure Phase

Post Re: Most annoying KJ Member 2016
_axiom - a lot of hot air, and as I once said to Algren in a private conversation, a person who truly believes finding everything mediocre or worse = a rarefied intelligence. He just seems rather joyless...EXCEPT in the music section, where he becomes much more loose and engaging.

zwackerm - intelligent in a vacuum, often dense in actual conversation and interaction. The sense of a highly sheltered lad experiencing a heady type of Rumspringa at college. Tries on different personas every time he watches a libertarian YouTube rant and comes on too strong relative to the thinness of his ideology. A bit too open to Milo Yiannopoulos types for my taste.

BK - just not very pleasant, is he? The type of dude who could find a way to hate...I don't know, photosynthesis. And he doesn't deliver his pills of cynicism and hatred with any flair or style. Just registers as interminable and sour whining.

Chippy - borders on being a troll, I feel. A troll in a very contemporary, Twitter-friendly way. Will enter an argument and just respond with lots of "lol, ha ha, right, sure"-type comments. No real follow-through or grit. He hides the dearth of substance and passion with curt cynicism. And his obviously cynical nature curdles his frequent attempts to position himself as a socially conscious individual. Here we have the type of dude who, say, hates Trump, but loves the fact Trump was elected because it means at least four years of I'm-so-cool-and-progressive-and-you-are-the-worst posturing.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:05 pm
The Wall

David wrote:
_axiom - a lot of hot air, and as I once said to Algren in a private conversation, a person who truly believes finding everything mediocre or worse = a rarefied intelligence.

I really don't find everything mediocre or worse. I truly don't. But when it comes to the movies I have a certain echelon of movies I really love, respect, find brilliant and relevant to the movie making as art and I just don't find as many movies to match that. If I'm gonna give out a perfect grade it's going to be when it matches (or surpasses) the movies I find to be great. I don't see the problem in that.

Shitting out A grades because "I had fun watching it so it must be an A movie" is not something I have in me. There are more than enough people here that fit that bill so if my grading is not to your liking just put me on your blocked list and enjoy all the A's WOKJ can give. I have different ways to grade movies than most of you and I don't see the problem in that. And the motive is not going against the flow, trying to be hip, cool or whatever. I've been keeping a Letterboxd account for more than a year now and all my grades leveled off in a curve that's pretty much normal distribution curve. That to me signalizes that I'm doing a rather fair job of grading movie. So the fact my grading is not to all of your liking doesn't bother me at all.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Who are "Milo Yiannoupoulous types" aside from the man himself?

I don't think he's a good person or a role model, but he is able to back up almost all of his statements with facts, on things like feminism and BLM, which is why I respect his POV. Even if obviously I disagree with his treatment of Leslie Jones or that Catholic priests sexually abusing children is excusable.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:12 pm
Extraordinary

zwackerm wrote:

I don't think he's a good person or a role model, but he is able to back up almost all of his statements with facts, on things like feminism and BLM, which is why I respect his POV. Even if obviously I disagree with his treatment of Leslie Jones or that Catholic priests sexually abusing children is excusable.

Well, just when I thought you couldn't get any worse.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Groucho wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Well, just when I thought you couldn't get any worse.

Which part?

I'm pretty sure I've made clear my views on third wave feminism and BLM before. As well as my disapproval of his treatment of Leslie Jones and his comments supporting pedophilia.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:38 pm
Cream of the Crop

David wrote:
_axiom - a lot of hot air, and as I once said to Algren in a private conversation, a person who truly believes finding everything mediocre or worse = a rarefied intelligence. He just seems rather joyless...EXCEPT in the music section, where he becomes much more loose and engaging.

zwackerm - intelligent in a vacuum, often dense in actual conversation and interaction. The sense of a highly sheltered lad experiencing a heady type of Rumspringa at college. Tries on different personas every time he watches a libertarian YouTube rant and comes on too strong relative to the thinness of his ideology. A bit too open to Milo Yiannopoulos types for my taste.

BK - just not very pleasant, is he? The type of dude who could find a way to hate...I don't know, photosynthesis. And he doesn't deliver his pills of cynicism and hatred with any flair or style. Just registers as interminable and sour whining.

Chippy - borders on being a troll, I feel. A troll in a very contemporary, Twitter-friendly way. Will enter an argument and just respond with lots of "lol, ha ha, right, sure"-type comments. No real follow-through or grit. He hides the dearth of substance and passion with curt cynicism. And his obviously cynical nature curdles his frequent attempts to position himself as a socially conscious individual. Here we have the type of dude who, say, hates Trump, but loves the fact Trump was elected because it means at least four years of I'm-so-cool-and-progressive-and-you-are-the-worst posturing.
Encore! Encore!!

_axiom wrote:
David wrote:
_axiom - a lot of hot air, and as I once said to Algren in a private conversation, a person who truly believes finding everything mediocre or worse = a rarefied intelligence.

I really don't find everything mediocre or worse. I truly don't. But when it comes to the movies I have a certain echelon of movies I really love, respect, find brilliant and relevant to the movie making as art and I just don't find as many movies to match that. If I'm gonna give out a perfect grade it's going to be when it matches (or surpasses) the movies I find to be great. I don't see the problem in that.

Shitting out A grades because "I had fun watching it so it must be an A movie" is not something I have in me. There are more than enough people here that fit that bill so if my grading is not to your liking just put me on your blocked list and enjoy all the A's WOKJ can give. I have different ways to grade movies than most of you and I don't see the problem in that. And the motive is not going against the flow, trying to be hip, cool or whatever. I've been keeping a Letterboxd account for more than a year now and all my grades leveled off in a curve that's pretty much normal distribution curve. That to me signalizes that I'm doing a rather fair job of grading movie. So the fact my grading is not to all of your liking doesn't bother me at all.
Although it's helpful for you to explain your movie rating philosophy, it is unfortunate you have to do so by insulting alternative philosophies. Can opinion ever be truly objective?

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:59 am
The Wall

tree and a half wrote:
Although it's helpful for you to explain your movie rating philosophy, it is unfortunate you have to do so by insulting alternative philosophies.

I wasn't really insulting anything, maybe just using too harsh of a word. I could've said "Being rather too generous with A grades because "I had fun watching it so it must be an A movie" is not something I have in me." and my point would be the same.

tree and a half wrote:
Can opinion ever be truly objective?

Of course not.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Chippy'S opinions are objective.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:47 pm
now we know

David wrote:

Bang on. :thumbsup:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Hey, that's improvement for me. I used to be a full on troll.

I'll take "borders on".

Also, no. I fucking hate that Trump is President. I would much rather make smart ass remarks with literally anyone else as President.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:59 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

No one picked me but then I guess only a few people read that post ;)

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:39 pm
now we know

You're not annoying, Jack. You're the equivalent of that dumb little ant that lives in the bathroom. You know he's there. You'd rather he wasn't. But he causes no harm. Sometimes you just watch him while sitting on the toilet and laugh at how stupid he is. Bumping into walls and what-not.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:19 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Algren wrote:
9m admissions in 3 days.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:25 am
now we know

Hey Jack, a film's opening weekend is $20m and its total gross is $40m. What's its multiplier?

(clue: it's not 1)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:35 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

You know how to type or you Googled that while masturbating over your toilet's ant

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:04 am
now we know

hehe. Stupid dancing ant.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

LOL. What a turn on for Algren :P

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:54 am
Cream of the Crop

_axiom wrote:
tree and a half wrote:
Although it's helpful for you to explain your movie rating philosophy, it is unfortunate you have to do so by insulting alternative philosophies.
I wasn't really insulting anything, maybe just using too harsh of a word.
D'ya think?
_axiom wrote:
Shitting out A grades because "I had fun watching it so it must be an A movie" is not something I have in me.

_axiom wrote:
tree and a half wrote:
Can opinion ever be truly objective?
Of course not.
You sure seem to be giving it the old college try:
_axiom wrote:
I've been keeping a Letterboxd account for more than a year now and all my grades leveled off in a curve that's pretty much normal distribution curve.
If you were grading individual oranges randomly selected out of an orange crop, this would certainly be a means of validating your grading technique. However, movie quality doesn't necessarily map to a standard distribution curve, especially given the fact that we each get to choose which particular movies we see (presumably based on a subjective pre-assessment of whether it's the type of movie we might enjoy).

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:36 am
The Wall

Bradley acting Holier-than-thou LOL.

tree and a half wrote:
However, movie quality doesn't necessarily map to a standard distribution curve, especially given the fact that we each get to choose which particular movies we see (presumably based on a subjective pre-assessment of whether it's the type of movie we might enjoy).

I wasn't trying to make a point about how to grade, I just noticed some "rule" in my way of grading which I like and seems to me that I've been doing a reasonable job. I really don't care if others like it or not. I do agree with you though. But looking at other people's Letterboxd accounts I've seen that their grades have also formed something like normal distribution curve, be it a little to the left for the more strict graders, or more to the right for the bit easier going ones. It does seem logical to me that if you have the same grade standard for a rather large number of movies you should eventually have some kind of a curve with a bump somewhere in the middle part and not erratic lopsided chart with spikes. But that's another topic.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:07 am
Profile WWW
now we know

_axiom wrote:
Shitting out A grades because "I had fun watching it so it must be an A movie" is not something I have in me.

It's all about the perspective. Films are for enjoyment, so if it is enjoyable, why not give an A? (that's rhetorical). And your opinion also reeks of elitism. At the end of the day, who really cares? Why do YOU really care? It's just a grade written on a film forum. Do you care about your KJ reputation so much that by giving an A to a film people will think less of you? Like, some how, the film has won you over, so you must be a weak viewer? (all rhetorical).

Please do not reply to this post. Of course, I can't stop you, but I hope you do not. I just want to say my bit. Not to have a discussion with you.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:40 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

In the future whenever you feel the need to reply to anything I write just go through the reply in your head and play this song (or anything with the similar message):

It's a 100% right reply to any post you make.

I haven't replied to any of your posts in a while because I can't be bothered with the crap you write anymore.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:07 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I haven't replied to any of your posts in a while because I can't be bothered with the crap you write anymore either! ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I have _axiom blocked. I was going to block chippy too, but he's a mod so oh well for that.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 am
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
I have _axiom blocked. I was going to block chippy too, but he's a mod so oh well for that.

I used to block people.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:42 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:

:hump: :hump:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3