Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91
 The Trump Era: The Awkward Mix of Libertarianism and Fascism 

Post Re: The Trump Era: The Awkward Mix of Libertarianism and Fas
Can this be moved to the political forum?

Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:35 am

One thing I never quite understood is why Trump himself is not considered a RINO. I saw someone make this claim the other day and it got me thinking. I mean, his policies are not that conservative on paper, and he is not about supporting the party as a whole, but rather himself. But according to a poll I read, almost half of Republicans say they are more loyal to Trump than the party, and people often accuse other Republicans of being RINOs if they do not support Trump. Like Trump is far more a RINO than Cheny.

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:05 pm
Hold the door!

I'd say the definition of RINO is if you side with Democrats over other Republicans you disagree with. Trump is not my favorite Republican but its definite RINO behavior to think he's a worse option than the Democrats.

Cheney and other Republicans can disagree with Trump all they want but it's furthering the agenda of the Democrats by siding with them that's the egregious offense

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

The "RINOs" in Congress vote with their party 95%+ of the time, and "RINOs" support practically all conservative legislation, policies, etc.. Not liking Trump and considering him a threat to the country (as any criminal would be if hired for a job, which is why background checks, drug tests, etc. are done beforehand) doesn't make one a "RINO." If anything, it just means they're "anti-Trump" who is a person, not a party.

Cheney, for example, didn't lose her primary because she's not a Republican (or a RINO, if you will). She lost because she's anti-Trump.

Anti-Trump doesn't mean "RINO" or anti-Republican.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
The "RINOs" in Congress vote with their party 95%+ of the time, and "RINOs" support practically all conservative legislation, policies, etc.. Not liking Trump and considering him a threat to the country (as any criminal would be if hired for a job, which is why background checks, drug tests, etc. are done beforehand) doesn't make one a "RINO." If anything, it just means they're "anti-Trump" who is a person, not a party.

Cheney, for example, didn't lose her primary because she's not a Republican (or a RINO, if you will). She lost because she's anti-Trump.

Anti-Trump doesn't mean "RINO" or anti-Republican.

Cheney voted for and campaigned for the opposition, despite Trumps's flaws you cannot vote for the opposition when you are representing a political party.

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:49 pm
Devil's Advocate

Trump has changed the views of the Republican party enough to his side that calling him Republican in name only wouldn't make that much sense

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:02 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Politics isn't supposed to be a "we vs. them" no matter the circumstances. Voting for and supporting another just because they have the same letter next to their name as you is a big reason America is such a divided mess.

Turning everything into a "with us or against us" mentality is dangerous, and anyone who hasn't been brainwashed with this idea needs to be rebuking it in America right now. Both parties are at fault of this, they're all the worst. I see a stupid "what side are you on?" Democratic ad on TV sometimes that I strongly dislike. American politics has become an infection on the country.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

"Us vs Them" is just a reality, at least when it comes to elected Democrats and Republicans. It's true that the American voter has a lot in common with members of both parties, but the elected leaders in both parties advocate opposite things. It is not logical to vote for the other party if the other party is going to implement policy you don't like, no matter the character flaws of the particular party member on the ballot

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

I don't think there's any problem with there being moderate parts of each part, whether it's Manchin and Sinema on one side or Romney on the other. I think half the reason the "RINOs" (as in Romney types and not Cheney and Kinzinger Trump deranged ones) are disliked is they're seen as weak. The Republicans before Trump were doing nothing to actually stop the US from moving more left every generation as instead of trying to make it more conservative, the left just had to set the goalposts as far left as they could, and the Republicans would try to compromise to give them half of that, but that's still left of where they started. Eventually by keep folding and nominating the few Republicans the left and media found palatable like McCain and Romney, the Republicans would have been suckered into a position where by 2030s they're 2016 Hillary and the Democrats are 2016 Sanders in terms of views. The Trump and DeSantis types are popular in part because they're more willing to stand their ground than that.

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:32 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

zwackerm wrote:
"Us vs Them" is just a reality, at least when it comes to elected Democrats and Republicans. It's true that the American voter has a lot in common with members of both parties, but the elected leaders in both parties advocate opposite things. It is not logical to vote for the other party if the other party is going to implement policy you don't like, no matter the character flaws of the particular party member on the ballot

A reality that only becomes accepted when people don't push back against it. Voting for an "evil" or "corrupt" politician because they vote for policies you like makes one just as bad. They're representatives of the same sort of scum as them at that point.

The world isn't suppose to be about doing whatever you can to get your way, or having things you like, at the expense of others. Is it often that way? Yeah, people are generally selfish and largely only care about themselves or those close to them. If someone or something doesn't fit one's image or liking, it's seen as wrong. What do I care of someone thousands of miles away that has had their life negatively impacted because I support someone or something and vote a certain way that best fits my personal interests, right? I don't know them, after all. My happiness and those closest to me is what matters most.

Well, it may matter most, and that's perfectly okay and human thing, but it doesn't have to be all that matters.

And as this relates to politics, one can help make a better difference by not blindly voting or supporting whomever, regardless of their character, just because they share similar opinions or interests and vote a certain way... for now, for as soon as their job (paycheck) is at stake, most with no character will betray themselves and those that had supported them without a second thought to keep the power (money) they hold.

Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91