Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 The Big O Says Good Bye 
Superfreak

Post The Big O Says Good Bye
I would be all over Obama's farewell speech if not for that it would make a blubbering mess. :( Especially with DT around the corner.

Fuck it. Let O run in 2020! Please! :tears: :yes: :thumbsup: :cry:

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:05 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Big O Says Good Bye
Obama is likable and charismatic, but nothing to get worked up over in terms of presidency.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:07 pm
You must have big rats

zwackerm wrote:
Obama is likable and charismatic.

Well, at least that is two things Trump is not.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Eh, who cares.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Nice guy (or just a good actor) but one of the most overrated presidents in history

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 pm
Cream of the Crop

Dr. Lecter wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

I don't think anyone could ever be elected without having both of those qualities in the eyes of their constituents.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:44 pm
Hold the door!

tree and a half wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

I don't think anyone could ever be elected without having both of those qualities in the eyes of their constituents.

IT does not matter if a president is likable or charismatic if he is able to run the country in a competent way. I'm certainly not saying that Trump will do that (it's unlikely), but it's a thing.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:09 pm
now we know

Trump isn't likable? C'mon, don't you just wanna cuddle and tickle him?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Obama will go down as one of our best Presidents. Got us out of a huge recession, accomplished some major things, no scandals, no corruption, strong leader, killed bin Laden, kept us out of a new war, got us health care, saved the auto industry, got rid of discrimination in the military and government ...

Stuff Trump will reverse if given a chance.

History will judge. It's always hard to judge while it happens. Give it 20 years and you'll see. He'll be up in the top ranks of Presidents.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

One thing I noticed about Las Vegas was the working class. All the shitty jobs; McDonald's staff, bouncers, cleaners, doormen, service-related jobs, prostitutes, manual labour jobs for setting up or tearing down trade show booths, kitchen staff ... all black or Mexican.

If Trump kicks out all the Mexicans, Las Vegas will shutdown. :funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Algren wrote:
One thing I noticed about Las Vegas was the working class. All the shitty jobs; McDonald's staff, bouncers, cleaners, doormen, service-related jobs, prostitutes, manual labour jobs for setting up or tearing down trade show booths, kitchen staff ... all black or Mexican.

If Trump kicks out all the Mexicans, Las Vegas will shutdown. :funny:

Hehe, that is true. I noticed the same thing when I was there.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Tears everywhere! 9 years and still going strong with Obamamania! That's what happens you're the real deal!

Ugh it will be a long time until someone inspires Us as he did. What a stud

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:51 pm
Forum General

The only president in my lifetime who felt worthy of my respect.

He will be missed... all the more given the present circumstance.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:38 pm
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
Nice guy (or just a good actor) but one of the most overrated presidents in history

Not sure how you can overrate the progress which has occurred on his watch. If USA was a country and the was the CEO, mitt would have invested hyuge; Trump would be bragging about him 24.7, etc

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 pm
Hold the door!

Groucho wrote:
Obama will go down as one of our best Presidents. Got us out of a huge recession, accomplished some major things, no scandals, no corruption, strong leader, killed bin Laden, kept us out of a new war, got us health care, saved the auto industry, got rid of discrimination in the military and government ...

History will judge. It's always hard to judge while it happens. Give it 20 years and you'll see. He'll be up in the top ranks of Presidents.

I don't think he got us out of the recession. My family is worse off than in 2008 financially. He's done nothing to help with age discrimination, which is what my father has faced since 2013. He has a degree in Accounting from Cornell and he can't find an Accountant job. He drives a van in the Philly school district.

How do you tell if someone is corrupt or not? Just because he was not caught like Nixon or Clinton doesn't mean he isn't out to serve himself.

He did kill Bin Laden. Obama-1

Kept us out of a new war, but sure didn't take us out of Afghanistan.

He did not get anyone I know healthcare. He imposed a fee if you don't have it, and imposed hour limits that result in cut hours, not companies giving health insurance.

How did he "get rid" of discrimination in the military and government? 1 man is incapable of doing that. Racial tension is at its greatest since the 1960's. He's taught people of color, women and the LGBT that if something does not go their way, it is discrimination, prejudice and bigotry when that is rarely the case. (Yes it is sometimes the case.)

Oh and gay marriage. Obama-2

This is just my perception. I'm open to any of your refutes and would love to be shown I'm wrong. I try not to hate presidents, but I feel most of the good he did was offset by the unhelpful things he did.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:11 am
Devil's Advocate

I don't expect this to be convincing to people who have drank the kool-aid but anyways, the broad strokes? It starts with the economy since Obama stopping a depression is supposed to be his #1 legacy. It looks good only if you use the employment % stat that discounts people who stopped looking. I would prefer to look at all unemployed people and labor force participation rate has gone down since 08.

Can't just blame it on baby boomers since the trend for young people etc. is bad too. Another thing I care about more than employment % stat is poverty numbers and it's gone up since 2008. Debts have gone up. I think people have less jobs, are more broke and have more debt than when he started. I haven't seen anything that convinces me otherwise.

Obamacare is another one of his legacies and it was a mess, about to be put of its misery and probably scare off the US from attempting universal healthcare for a while

In foreign policy he bombed 7 countries and went above and beyond (like 10x) how much Bush used drone strikes. His bungling of Syria and Libya situations is a part of why they are where they are, especially the latter

Politically he started with a Democrat party in a dominant position in 08 and left it in shambles by 16 and as the leader of it he shares some blame for that.

He's a fraud. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being called one of the best presidents, but I don't really care, JFK is too and there's plenty of reasons to think he was poor as well

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:20 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Groucho wrote:

1. You don't include scandals due to being a partisan hack.
2. We are back in Iraq and Libya is a hell hole thanks to Obama. Also in Syria.

Trump is a dildo but I tend to think he will be much more liberal and inclined towards your style of magical thinking but you'll probably change your position due to (1).

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
I don't expect this to be convincing to people who have drank the kool-aid but anyways, the broad strokes? It starts with the economy since Obama stopping a depression is supposed to be his #1 legacy. It looks good only if you use the employment % stat that discounts people who stopped looking. I would prefer to look at all unemployed people and labor force participation rate has gone down since 08.

Can't just blame it on baby boomers since the trend for young people etc. is bad too. Another thing I care about more than employment % stat is poverty numbers and it's gone up since 2008. Debts have gone up. I think people have less jobs, are more broke and have more debt than when he started. I haven't seen anything that convinces me otherwise.

If you do not think the economy has improved dramatically from where it was to where its under BO. You are blind.

Also - the mention of American poverty at this point is a joke. Being in "Poverty" in America means (plenty of ) food, shelter, water, clothes, TV, healthcare, Obamaphone, transportation, etc.

Poverty in the US is nothing like Mexico or India etc

Quote:
Obamacare is another one of his legacies and it was a mess, about to be put of its misery and probably scare off the US from attempting universal healthcare for a while

Remains to be seen, and Obamacare's central components are likely to remain. Not like the ACA that the WH proposed was anything like the bill congress eventually passed...

Quote:
Politically he started with a Democrat party in a dominant position in 08 and left it in shambles by 16 and as the leader of it he shares some blame for that.

Support was not so much pro Dem as much as it was anti GOP.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Shack is a fucking idiot.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ob ... y-healthy/

I mean, we're back at the level pre-recession for almost every category. Only someone who is cherry picking stats would think we're worse off.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]