Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Second Year of University! 
Killing With Kindness

Post Re: Starting at University!
the force awakens is fuckin amazing

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Check out a philosophy class if you have the chance. It was my favorite by far

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:20 am
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
College classes are interesting. For my speech class I gave a speech on why The Force Awakens is terrible and for writing I wrote an essay on how Harry Potter has affected my life and why I love Order of the Phoenix the most.

That does sound like a blast. When I was at university, I included films into my work whenever possible. I remember I did a marketing report on The Expendables' DVD release in the UK. University was the best time of my life. The feeling of pride and learning on a daily basis. I loved it, and would revisit in a heart beat.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

I wrote my final 15-page paper in a religion class on the movie Seven. It was pretty cool not gonna lie.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:49 pm
now we know

I would love to read that.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Serious question here.
How do people successfully date in college without getting sick of each other. I'm getting to know several great girls and I'd be interested in asking a few of them out, but since we live down the road from each other, wouldn't we feel compelled to spend a whole bunch of time together without having time to miss one another in between dates? Plus, neither of us have a car, so date options would be low.

I think dating after college is easier because you both work and only have free time at night to date.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:33 pm
You must have big rats

zwackerm wrote:
Serious question here.
How do people successfully date in college without getting sick of each other. I'm getting to know several great girls and I'd be interested in asking a few of them out, but since we live down the road from each other, wouldn't we feel compelled to spend a whole bunch of time together without having time to miss one another in between dates? Plus, neither of us have a car, so date options would be low.

I think dating after college is easier because you both work and only have free time at night to date.

Trust me, it definitely, definitely, definitely isn't easier. Because you usually have much less free time when you work, your time becomes way more precious. And you will need to accomodate date nights, but you will also want to see your friends or do some other activities that do not involve your girlfriend because you do want to have some life or your own too and not live in a symbiosis. And that becomes way more difficult when your time is limited.

And you would not be compelled to spend all your time with each other. It is just about a healthy balance. If you really, really like each other, it won't matter at all anyway in the beginning because you will want to see each other all the time anyway.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

You got to stop overthinking it Zwacks. There are literally campus events probably every night that you can take someone. And there are plenty of ways to get around cars. Don't forget, a lot of people also never spend a considerable amount of continuous time with who they are dating until they get to college. Just invite a girl over to your room for a few drinks, or even have a small little get together with a couple of people for a movie, and give it a shot. Tell me this isn't the first time your really thinking about this. First semester is already growing to an end.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:02 pm
Hold the door!

Thegun wrote:
You got to stop overthinking it Zwacks. There are literally campus events probably every night that you can take someone. And there are plenty of ways to get around cars. Don't forget, a lot of people also never spend a considerable amount of continuous time with who they are dating until they get to college. Just invite a girl over to your room for a few drinks, or even have a small little get together with a couple of people for a movie, and give it a shot. Tell me this isn't the first time your really thinking about this. First semester is already growing to an end.

I think about it all day every day. It just makes me nervous. I am going on a group "date" tonight. A bunch of guys and me are going to be serving a bunch of girls dinner. None of us are actually dating, but perhaps something could come if it.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:43 pm
Hold the door!

If you were with someone, and they got upset, and they were going to say something man but stopped themselves, would you know want to know what they were going to say?

I was doing homework with some people and rather than doing the problems, they were just guessing. They asked me why I was so far behind, and I said some of us like to get the answers right. Which I guess is sort of a bitchy thing to say on my part, but it's not a huge deal. The girl who was going to say it refused to say what she was going to say because she said it was awful, but given the situation how awful could it be? It makes me wonder if something is going unsaid in our relationship.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:14 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

relationship?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:32 am
Superman: The Movie

Oral Roberts University by any chance?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
relationship?

Friendship you know what I mean.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:24 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Your "friends" don't seem to like you.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:51 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

If they were friends, you would've said friends. If they were your friends, you would've noted that you saying you want right answers was a joke. If they were your friends, they wouldn't have stopped themselves from joking with you.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:00 pm

It doesn't sound like joking. Zwacks basically backhanded them by pretty much calling, I'm guessing a study group, all dumb and that he was smarter than them, and the girl refrained. This one's boring, what happened to the girls?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:32 pm
Hold the door!

Thegun wrote:
It doesn't sound like joking. Zwacks basically backhanded them by pretty much calling, I'm guessing a study group, all dumb and that he was smarter than them, and the girl refrained. This one's boring, what happened to the girls?

It was only me, one girl and one guy who were studying together. The others were working on something else.

And I think it's reasonable to be frustrated when they offer to help me and then they don't really seem to give a shit.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

Just remember that any time you get the urge to send a private message on Facebook, especially to females, take a deep breath and consider if the x in the corner of your browser is a better choice

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:51 pm
now we know

Friends at university is a bad idea. You won't stay in contact afterwards anyway. Just focus on your studies.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Algren wrote:
Friends at university is a bad idea. You won't stay in contact afterwards anyway. Just focus on your studies.

This is so insanely wrong. Where else do you forge friendships? There is high school, yes, but that is actually where it is more difficult because that's when most friends end up in different cities for work or college. Also, the depth of friendships forged in high schools is not as big as later in college, thus sustaining the friendship after drifting apart geographically is more difficult.

In college, you and your friends often automatically have at least one thing in common - whatever you chose to study. That shows similar interests and that is the first basis that you build upon. These friendships do last. Out of my 5 closest friends (I'd be hard-pressed to pick THE one best friend), 4 are from college. One of them, the girl who recently married - at her wedding party there were zero friends from school, but about 12-15 friends from college (and she has graduated years ago).

I still have very good friends from high school and my circle of friends is fairly large spanning from journalist colleagues over college friends to random people I met through other people that I have no contact with anymore. But college friends probably make up a total of 70-75% of my friends. I'd be willing to bet an arm that they make up at least 50% for pretty much all of my friends too. One of my core groups of friends from college has been meeting every Monday to play cards for over four years now, even though several of them have already graduated. Still, every Monday.

Sure, you can make friends when you go to work later, but that's when you might often be confronted with large age gaps. Also, depending on the work environment, it might simply not be suited for forging friendships. And often the potential pool of friends is much smaller at work than in high school or college.

"Friends at university is a bad idea" is probably the worst piece of university-related advice I have ever read. You are acting as if friends and focusing on studies are mutually exclusive which is ridiculous. All of us graduated with very good grades. Though study groups have never been something I was into, many of my friends had them with each other and I think it helped them.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:28 pm
Profile WWW

Well that was incoherent. I'd say everyone's experience will be different. I can absolutely agree that college had more friends that I don't care at all about after college. You honestly won't have an idea of who you really are until the middle of your first job. You'll realize your true friends, get a real idea of what you are looking for in a relationship, etc.

Also biggest secret. Almost very littleof what you learn here is going to help you job wise.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:47 pm
now we know

I wish you would take your head out of your ass, Lecter, and see that your way isn't the only way. You can disagree with me, but saying it is wrong is just stupid. My experience at university was improved by keeping my friendships at seminar level and never excelling to outside of the classroom. We'll all different.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

What is stupid is the implication that having friendships somehow seems to be mutually exclusive with focusing on studying. How did your friendships worsen your experience at university initially?

Also, if we are all different, how do you know that zwackerm won't stay in contact afterwards?

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:20 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Dr. Lecter wrote:
What is stupid is the implication that having friendships somehow seems to be mutually exclusive with focusing on studying.

What? Are you serious? You cannot possibly see a link? lol.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:22 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Algren wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
What is stupid is the implication that having friendships somehow seems to be mutually exclusive with focusing on studying.

What? Are you serious? You cannot possibly see a link? lol.

There is a link if you let there be one. It does not have to be an either or situation.

So, again: How did your friendships worsen your experience at university initially?

Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next