Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Diet and Exercise Thread 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Diet and Exercise Thread
I don't know much about diets and all that, but as far as working out goes, you just have to make sure you switch it up a lot. Keep it consistent so your body doesn't get used to either working out the same muscles all the time, or resting certain muscles all the time. Swimming is a great one as it's easy on your body, but it can really work out a lot of different muscles.

I've never been a huge fan of diets, I think changing your eating habits in itself will be effective. Smaller portions, watching your calorie intake, not "drinking your calories". I've never believed that if you strictly cut out a lot of "bad" food, that you'll lose weight. Obviously you shouldn't eat burgers and pizza all the time, but having one every now and then won't hurt you. You just have to be diligent.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:42 pm
Killing With Kindness

I run 3-4 times per week, I try to only eat fruits and veggies after 6pm, lost 15 pounds in 2 months, plateaued and had to change it up half way through), overall it has not changed my eating habits much and I lost the desired amount of weight, back down to 135 pounds.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Magnus wrote:
gonna start to incorpoate swimming once a week now that it's hot. My pool isn't the greatest for exercise swimming (it's shaped like a side-ways eights basically) but it's good enough.

Chippy wrote:
I've never been a huge fan of diets, I think changing your eating habits in itself will be effective. Smaller portions, watching your calorie intake, not "drinking your calories". I've never believed that if you strictly cut out a lot of "bad" food, that you'll lose weight. Obviously you shouldn't eat burgers and pizza all the time, but having one every now and then won't hurt you. You just have to be diligent.

I agree with most of that, hence why I was attracted to the slow carb diet in the first place cause it allows you to indulge once a week.

my big issue is portion-control. I know people say "have smaller portions, more meals" but I can't do that. I've tried that before and I just end up eating more.

Hm, I've never been able to hold much so I have most always went with 4-5 smaller meals each day, sometimes going nuts and stuffing my stomach on the last meal, hence the cut back after 6pm.

The slow carb diet works wonders, I have seen many friends get chiseled using it, good luck yo.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I think 135 pounds would be my dream/max weight I would ever want to be. (I've weighed 115 for about 8 years)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:07 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Magnus wrote:
lets get healthy people!

I really want to lose another 10 pounds (which would put me at my lowest weight since junior year of high school) and keep that weight off for good. Does anyone have good diet/exercise tips for losing that additional weight after that big loss and then for mainitaing your weight?

First off, congrats on losing the initial weight. Starting a diet/exercise routine is a bit daunting sometimes.

To answer your question I would say find something that motivates you. I usually like to set goals for myself. Whether it's to be able to run a 5k in X amount of minutes or do 10 pullups or whatever else. When I have a goal in mind it keeps me more focused. Once you hit that goal set another one so you're always working toward something and improving.

I'm not sure if you've heard of Crossfit...but just watching some of those guys/girls workout is motivating to me. I don't go to a Crossfit gym or follow the exact workouts but I do try to incorporate some of the movements (pull-ups, squats, hang cleans, deadlifts, etc) into my workouts. I would recommend anyone interested in fitness to check out the site...plus the Crossfit games are going on right now. It's a pretty bad ass competition.

Good luck w/ that last 10 pounds!

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:14 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Crossfit can be intense, but if you just found out what exercises they do, you'd be better off not joining a Crossfit gym. They're INSANELY overpriced. Simple exercises, lots of repetition, but effective.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:17 pm
Deshi Basara

The best way to overcome plateaus is to make sure you have at least one day (2 days may be better) per week where you eat at or slightly above you caloric maintenance level (make that a weight training day). This tactic sends the message to your body that you are not starving and that it's ok to keep the metabolism revved up to normal speed all the time. Then on the other days take your calories lower, maybe 60-80% of your maintenance level.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:24 pm
Sbil

Good for you Magnus. I'd never be able to do that diet because I love cheese too much, lol.

In terms of keeping up with an exercise routine for the future why don't you go to classes. It can become a social thing and it's a great place to pick up girls, lol. Go to a spin class, I do them a few times a month. Or if you like dancing: Zumba or my new favorite, Kazaxe.

Speaking of, on the heels of my half marathon success, I'm signing up for a full marathon in September with a couple of friends. Going to start training when I get back from the beach this weekend. Most I've ever run at one time was 22 miles so I have some work to do.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:29 pm
College Boy T

I've never really needed to lose serious weight, but in terms of my body's definition/ etc, I definitely see value in 'shaking up' my workout. Don't devote your entire fitness week to one activity (e.g., spinning).

There's nice things about CrossFit. It seems to engage many non-athletes to give a damn...even those who have tried everything and those who have never tried anything. It also has serious injury risks.

I do a blend of running/ hiking/ spinning (SoulCycle)/ SPX pilates (kind of...pilates reformer meets bootcamp).

I also like rowing -- and you are in the right area for that...if it's something you're interested in, I can ask around to see if any of my rowing friends knows of a 'learn to row' program.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

I think I developed and obsessive compulsive problem with exercise which enables me to stay at about 140lbs (I am about 5'9). However, sometimes your body needs breaks from exercise and I find that I have extreme difficulty in stopping. Will feel physically ill on days where I do not exercise and have trouble eating on those days as well.

I broke my back once (L4 and L5) and was supposed to take at least six weeks off from exercise (was supposed to take about six months to heal properly) and I found that I could only do two, mostly because I could not move well, lost a bunch of weight, and just decided to start running again. Broke a rib and could not properly breathe and still went. Same thing with colds, muscle tightness, blisters, toe nails falling off, etc.

As for diet, mine is terrible. Usually drink 3 Mt. Dews, 1-2 Red Bull's, 5hr energy, and after 5pm I just drink water. Eat ton's of cereal and cookies and otherwise am practically a vegetarian.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Caius wrote:
I think I developed and obsessive compulsive problem with exercise which enables me to stay at about 140lbs (I am about 5'9). However, sometimes your body needs breaks from exercise and I find that I have extreme difficulty in stopping. Will feel physically ill on days where I do not exercise and have trouble eating on those days as well.

I broke my back once (L4 and L5) and was supposed to take at least six weeks off from exercise (was supposed to take about six months to heal properly) and I found that I could only do two, mostly because I could not move well, lost a bunch of weight, and just decided to start running again. Broke a rib and could not properly breathe and still went. Same thing with colds, muscle tightness, blisters, toe nails falling off, etc.

As for diet, mine is terrible. Usually drink 3 Mt. Dews, 1-2 Red Bull's, 5hr energy, and after 5pm I just drink water. Eat ton's of cereal and cookies and otherwise am practically a vegetarian.

omg

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:02 pm
College Boy T

I used to not drink enough water, but my routine at work is to...
- grab a coffee from the kitchen
- fill up my 1l waterbottle
- grab a vitaminwater zero lemonade

In the afternoon, I usually fill up my 1l waterbottle again...
...or grab another coffee/ vitaminwater/ go out for a smoothie, juice, or kombucha

So I probably get my 'water' intake from those sources.

When I work out, I usually demolish whatever water bottle I have with me...so I guess the key to water consumption is to work out?

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 pm
Extraordinary

I feel like recently I have been working out to eat crappy food. :wacko: I have a gym membership but I need to start going more and pushing myself more. I would like to try a diet too but... eh. I just want to get slimmer.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 am
College Boy Z

So weird, because today I started going to the gym in my building in an attempt to lose some weight!

I lost 40lbs back in sophomore year of college, but I did it in a pretty unhealthy way. 1 hour of running every day, and only 1200 calories/day = 40lbs in 3 months. I dropped from 155lbs and 115lbs. I'm pretty short so the weight loss was quite noticeable. Now I'm at a pretty okay 135lbs but I still have fat on my stomach that I'd like to get rid of and overall, I'd like to get toned.

Magnus, can you break down your typical meals on your diet? Like yesterday?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:48 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

That's a good day of eating.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:40 pm
Extraordinary

5 years ago i was 40 pounds overweight, i wanted to go back to my normal weight when i was in college(165 pounds, im 5'11) so i started the p90 program, it worked wonders, i got back to 165 by the end of it but fitter than ever, now i go to the gym 4 times a week and do 45min-1 hour sessions and have maintained the weight.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Find a steep, short hill and sprint up it, over and over and over again, until you can no longer stand.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:04 pm
why so serious?

I need to get back to running on a daily/near-daily basis. I started to completely forget about going for runs during student teaching, and it hasn't gotten any better in the summer or the start of the teaching program I'm in.

I'm not overweight (not by any stretch of the imagination - I'm probably hovering around 140 right now, and I'm 5'9 or thereabouts), but I've been feeling a bit slob-like lately.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:11 pm
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
neo_wolf wrote:
5 years ago i was 40 pounds overweight, i wanted to go back to my normal weight when i was in college(165 pounds, im 5'11) so i started the p90 program, it worked wonders, i got back to 165 by the end of it but fitter than ever, now i go to the gym 4 times a week and do 45min-1 hour sessions and have maintained the weight.

Sounds like you and I are in the same exact position.

I know p90x's exercises and routines but is there a diet plan as well?

Yes, you get a diet plan and a calender.
Also , try not to go for that -1000 calories a day diet, it just makes you lose energy and makes your body feel terrible.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:50 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Skip your regular calorie diet plan. Ditch the aimless jogs. These are useless. It's all about hormones and body composition. Have magnesium and fish oil supplements. Don't eat fried foods, carbs, dairy and processed food. Eat plenty of protein, veggies and essential fats and cook in butter or ghee. Bacon is your friend. Except side with heavy weights and sprints. Your body will change for the better. You won't even need scales to weigh yourself - just get out the measuring tape.

Plus eat a big cheat meal once per week - ie pizza

Enjoy

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:07 am
Indiana Jones IV

MadGez wrote:
Skip your regular calorie diet plan. Ditch the aimless jogs. These are useless. It's all about hormones and body composition. Have magnesium and fish oil supplements. Don't eat fried foods, carbs, dairy and processed food. Eat plenty of protein, veggies and essential fats and cook in butter or ghee. Bacon is your friend. Except side with heavy weights and sprints. Your body will change for the better. You won't even need scales to weigh yourself - just get out the measuring tape.

Plus eat a big cheat meal once per week - ie pizza

Enjoy

Love it.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:46 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

It really works Crux.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 am
Indiana Jones IV

MadGez wrote:
It really works Crux.

I agree.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:00 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Magnus wrote:
I fitted into size 34 jeans today for the first time since high school. Shit cray. Have to bring back all my old wardrobe.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:01 pm
Da Bears

I had actually been starting to exercise regularly and watch what I eat, and then I went out of town for work and it has ruined everything. Eating out most of the time, or buying convenience food because I don't have access to any way to cook sucks. And I have no time for exercise really. I need to figure something out, thats for sure. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks, and I wont be able to fit into any of my summer clothes. Eek!

Congrats Magnus, that is awesome. I bet you feel fantastic.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next