Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Pet Peeves 
Pure Phase

Post Re: Pet Peeves
I hate when people say "axe" and "axed" instead of "ask" and "asked."

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm
Teh Mexican

racist!

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:31 pm
Pure Phase

Surely a white person did it once or twice in history.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:32 pm
Teh Mexican

David wrote:
Surely a white person did it once or twice in history.

rednecks! :pinch:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:42 pm
now we know

David wrote:
I hate when people say "axe" and "axed" instead of "ask" and "asked."

:yes:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Da Bears

Spelling, grammar and pronounciation errors in general annoy me. I know I make them too, but it's the people that you have to wonder how they passed kindergarten that annoy me. Speaking of kindergarten, there is something wrong with a 30-something year old that pronounces it "kinnygarden." Especially embarassing when they pronounce it that way to their kids kindergarten teacher.

Also, almost any costumer service that is handled over a phone is an excruciating experience anymore. Between the fact that even though half the time you can't get someone that speaks english half the time, they still don't even have 24 hour service for a lot of things yet. Then the music while you're on hold is always atrocious. Sometimes you go through about 72 menu options to get connected to the correct department, but then when you finally figure out how to speak to a live person, they tell you they have to transfer you to a different department anyway. Then your problem can't be resolved that day, so you have to go through all the crap to speak to someone again at a later time. Which of course wont be the same person, and the new person has no idea what your issue is, and when you re-explain they give you a totally different answer on how to fix it than the last person you spoke to, so you don't even know who to believe. :disgust:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:58 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Batnanna wrote:
Spelling, grammar and pronounciation errors in general annoy me. I know I make them too, but it's the people that you have to wonder how they passed kindergarten that annoy me. Speaking of kindergarten, there is something wrong with a 30-something year old that pronounces it "kinnygarden." Especially embarassing when they pronounce it that way to their kids kindergarten teacher.

Also, almost any costumer service that is handled over a phone is an excruciating experience anymore. Between the fact that even though half the time you can't get someone that speaks english half the time, they still don't even have 24 hour service for a lot of things yet. Then the music while you're on hold is always atrocious. Sometimes you go through about 72 menu options to get connected to the correct department, but then when you finally figure out how to speak to a live person, they tell you they have to transfer you to a different department anyway. Then your problem can't be resolved that day, so you have to go through all the crap to speak to someone again at a later time. Which of course wont be the same person, and the new person has no idea what your issue is, and when you re-explain they give you a totally different answer on how to fix it than the last person you spoke to, so you don't even know who to believe. :disgust:

Sorry, I just had to.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Da Bears

Knew someone would!

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:04 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

I agree with the first part of your post, though not the second - I've never had a problem on customer service lines.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Da Bears

:hahaha:

I actually was going to purposely put a bunch of errors in that post just to make sure someone would spot them, but I then decided I was sure there would be enough anyway. There's enough intelligent people here to notice.

When you say the word often, is the t silent?

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Batnanna wrote:

When you say the word often, is the t silent?

In formal speech, it is not silent. But colloquially, it is fine. I've heard many lazy speakers not pronounce the 'T'.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Da Bears

I never have pronounced the T. Seems to depend on the part of the country you are from. Where I was born, the language varies quite a bit from where I live. I of course learned to speak from my parents, so I don't really have a Chicago accent, but I definitely do not sound like I am from Missouri either. Typical Missourians pronounce the name of their own state wrong, and they also pronounce my birth state wrong. Up north, typically it is pop, not soda like it is here. And they always pronounce the word suite incorrectly. As in, a bedroom suite. It should be spoken like "sweet", not "suit" but on every furniture store commercial I see they say it wrong. All these things annoy me.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Batnanna wrote:
I never have pronounced the T. Seems to depend on the part of the country you are from. Where I was born, the language varies quite a bit from where I live. I of course learned to speak from my parents, so I don't really have a Chicago accent, but I definitely do not sound like I am from Missouri either. Typical Missourians pronounce the name of their own state wrong, and they also pronounce my birth state wrong. Up north, typically it is pop, not soda like it is here. And they always pronounce the word suite incorrectly. As in, a bedroom suite. It should be spoken like "sweet", not "suit" but on every furniture store commercial I see they say it wrong. All these things annoy me.

Awesome. I love posts like yours. Learning about different words and pronunciations is very fun.

In the UK we call them fizzy drinks. Or the anal retentives call it carbonated drinks.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Da Bears

Do you remember Gulli that used to post here a lot more frequently? I've chatted with him several times on skype. His accent and funny words he uses amuse me. But its also very fun to learn how different people speak in different areas. Actually, I say I've chatted on skype with him, but actually I met him in real life as well. THAT was interesting. He complained about how our license plates on our vehicles make absolutely no sense! Also he had never been to an amusement park, but I took him to Six Flags and made him ride roller coasters. He screamed lke a little girl on one particular ride, while sitting next to an 8 year old girl that was perfectly calm. I laughed quite hysterically.

That reminds me of comething else that freaks me out. People from other countries seem to have this habit of kissing peoples cheeks when they meet them. AHHH!

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 pm
Profile YIM
why so serious?

Writing "should of," "would of," or "could of."

It's not of; it's HAVE, y'all.

And yet, even after turning back up to three different papers with this error marked on each one, I still get totally befuddled looks from my students - who, by the way, are in an honors class.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 pm
Da Bears

In what grade?

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:42 pm
Profile YIM
why so serious?

Batnanna wrote:
In what grade?

10th.

It could just be me being a hard-ass, but still: a pet peeve is a pet peeve. :thumbsup:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 pm
Da Bears

10th graders should be able to comprehend that once you've explained it to them.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:57 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Batnanna wrote:
That reminds me of comething else that freaks me out. People from other countries seem to have this habit of kissing peoples cheeks when they meet them. AHHH!

The kissing cheek thing bothers me because I never know when or in what situation to lean in or not. So I hate it.

Was "comething" intentional?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Da Bears

No, I'm not sure how I typed a c instead of an s.

I hate it because I am never expected someone to do that so I sometimes jerk away and have this look on my face like what the hell are you doing!? And then I feel bad.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:35 am
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

Aw that means you must hate how i write lol. or do i get a pass cuz I ain't american?.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:46 am
Pure Phase

I respect your authorial vision, Mau.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 am
now we know

Mau wrote:
Aw that means you must hate how i write lol. or do i get a pass cuz I ain't american?.

You get a pass because you're not from an English-speaking country.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Another one: This happened to me last night and it was just like

Handing your phone over to someone to show them something, and then they go elsewhere on your phone and look at other shit without asking. Doesn't matter how close I am to that person, when they start looking at photos or what not it just makes me wanna holler. It makes no sense to do that:
"Hey, I trust you enough to hold the phone and look at the content"
"Okay, now I'll look at the completely unrelated content!"

Admittedly, this is somewhat of a vent. :sweat:

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:20 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Mau wrote:
lol... i write worse than you. Glad we get a free pass hehe. :oops:

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next