Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Inauguration of Donald Trump 
Sbil

Post Re: Inauguration of Donald Trump
Trump isn't homophobic, he's "anyone not like him" phobic.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:15 pm
Extraordinary

zwackerm wrote:
That's what I said. A gay wedding cake would usually say something aboutvtbe wedding on it, no?

What? You think gay people who get married have someone write "I Love Cock" in big letters on the cake?

I take it you've never been to a gay marriage? I have, and you know what? Unless you pay attention to the couple, you can't tell the difference.

The problem is that bigoted bakers are refusing to make the exact same cake for a gay couple that they'd make for a straight couple.

A baker can always refuse to have a message on a cake they disagree with. That is different. But if a baker made a cake for a bachlorette party that had "I Love Cock" in big letters and then refused to make one for a gay party, then you'd have the same problem.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Groucho wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
That's what I said. A gay wedding cake would usually say something aboutvtbe wedding on it, no?

What? You think gay people who get married have someone write "I Love Cock" in big letters on the cake?

I take it you've never been to a gay marriage? I have, and you know what? Unless you pay attention to the couple, you can't tell the difference.

The problem is that bigoted bakers are refusing to make the exact same cake for a gay couple that they'd make for a straight couple.

A baker can always refuse to have a message on a cake they disagree with. That is different. But if a baker made a cake for a bachlorette party that had "I Love Cock" in big letters and then refused to make one for a gay party, then you'd have the same problem.

Ok that I agree with.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:12 pm
College Boy T

Groucho wrote:
the lesser evil wrote:
Anyone who voted for Trump, even if they don't think they're racist, homophobic or misogynist (and even if they literally are not) are WORSE than if they were just that, because they played a part in putting someone who embodies all that in the arguably most powerful position in the world.

Exactly. Voting for Trump said "Yeah, he may be surrounding himself with Klan members and Nazis, but I don't care, I'm supporting him anyway." It's basically complete selfishness.

This is somewhat off-topic from your current chat with zackerman, but I wanted to react to this.

I'm extremely disappointed and sad about this election. Still, it behooves us to try and understand the "Trump voter." Especially the ones that made a difference. Don't be distracted by the noise.

There is a contingent of the country that is racist, homophobic, misogynistic, etc. There always has been. Trump's bullying, fascist, racist tactics appeal to (a chunk of) the traditional, rural Republican base. They'll eat it up when he complains about the mainstream media because the thought of a liberal doing anything makes their blood boil. They're newly vocal because Trump is so vocal, Trump was more exciting than "establishment" candidates, and they've finally learned their way around the Web.

But the "vote shifters" in MI, WI, OH, NC, PA, FL... the ones that made the difference... we can't call them all selfish, racist, or homophobic. These states were Obama states in '08 and '12... some by as much as +15%. I think many of the shifters were deeply troubled about their vote (that's why they weren't at inauguration). For whatever reason, "change" mattered more than "decency." We need to understand what their concerns are so we know how to communicate to them and convert them back. Is it economics and trade? Is it a sentiment that they've been "left out"? Is it Obamacare? Or, are they actually frustrated with Obama's social and civil liberty advancements? (It's probably not this).

We should call-out blatant Trump lies, Republican obstructionism, and actions or views that are incompatible with our values. We need to be serious watchdogs. But, we also need to embrace (and not alienate) the swing voters.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Libs wrote:

Eh, I honestly don't think he is homophobic or any of that. But he is narcissistic and extremely insecure and not only can he not handle criticism, but he cannot handle when others don't worship the ground he walks on.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:57 pm
now we know

Groucho wrote:

Not on the cake, but usually as a tattoo on the lower back. ;)

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

torrino wrote:
Groucho wrote:
the lesser evil wrote:
Anyone who voted for Trump, even if they don't think they're racist, homophobic or misogynist (and even if they literally are not) are WORSE than if they were just that, because they played a part in putting someone who embodies all that in the arguably most powerful position in the world.

Exactly. Voting for Trump said "Yeah, he may be surrounding himself with Klan members and Nazis, but I don't care, I'm supporting him anyway." It's basically complete selfishness.

This is somewhat off-topic from your current chat with zackerman, but I wanted to react to this.

I'm extremely disappointed and sad about this election. Still, it behooves us to try and understand the "Trump voter." Especially the ones that made a difference. Don't be distracted by the noise.

There is a contingent of the country that is racist, homophobic, misogynistic, etc. There always has been. Trump's bullying, fascist, racist tactics appeal to (a chunk of) the traditional, rural Republican base. They'll eat it up when he complains about the mainstream media because the thought of a liberal doing anything makes their blood boil. They're newly vocal because Trump is so vocal, Trump was more exciting than "establishment" candidates, and they've finally learned their way around the Web.

But the "vote shifters" in MI, WI, OH, NC, PA, FL... the ones that made the difference... we can't call them all selfish, racist, or homophobic. These states were Obama states in '08 and '12... some by as much as +15%. I think many of the shifters were deeply troubled about their vote (that's why they weren't at inauguration). For whatever reason, "change" mattered more than "decency." We need to understand what their concerns are so we know how to communicate to them and convert them back. Is it economics and trade? Is it a sentiment that they've been "left out"? Is it Obamacare? Or, are they actually frustrated with Obama's social and civil liberty advancements? (It's probably not this).

We should call-out blatant Trump lies, Republican obstructionism, and actions or views that are incompatible with our values. We need to be serious watchdogs. But, we also need to embrace (and not alienate) the swing voters.

Republicans aren't Obama fans, but they are much more opposed to Hillary Clinton, who many view as the devil incarnate.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:27 pm
Extraordinary

torrino wrote:
Groucho wrote:
the lesser evil wrote:

You're right about that -- we can't lump them all into a group, but it's still true that these white men (mostly) who voted for Trump, mostly because they wanted a change, still felt that "change" was more important than electing a guy supported by bigots and racists.

I mentioned your point in the article I wrote after the election called "The Top Ten Reasons Hillary Lost". Be sure to check out the header entitled "The Hubris of the Elite."

https://ventrellaquest.com/2016/11/10/t ... lary-lost/

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
Groucho wrote:

I suppose you would know! :thumbsup:

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Groucho wrote:
Algren wrote:
Groucho wrote:

I suppose you would know! :thumbsup:

Well, I cannot speak for the entire gay community, but the guy I was ramming on the weekend had it. :hump:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Groucho wrote:

You're right about that -- we can't lump them all into a group, but it's still true that these white men (mostly) who voted for Trump, mostly because they wanted a change, still felt that "change" was more important than electing a guy supported by bigots and racists.

I mentioned your point in the article I wrote after the election called "The Top Ten Reasons Hillary Lost". Be sure to check out the header entitled "The Hubris of the Elite."

https://ventrellaquest.com/2016/11/10/t ... lary-lost/

White People* voted for Trump. Don't take away the blame for white women in their role. Every other demo went heavily to Clinton. But white men/women both went to Trump.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:43 am
The Original

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Libs wrote:

Eh, I honestly don't think he is homophobic or any of that. But he is narcissistic and extremely insecure and not only can he not handle criticism, but he cannot handle when others don't worship the ground he walks on.

This! Thread can be closed!

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:51 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Libs wrote:

So does that mean he is homophobic since he is not gay or does that mean he is not homophobic since he is, well, not homophobic?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:55 am
Profile WWW
The Original

No it means "As long nobody is threatening my business or family or my image I dont give a shit....and I dont give a shit what happens to this people". The problem is as a President he has now to give a shit from time to time. Can he do that?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:02 am
Devil's Advocate

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:24 pm
The Original

OMG THE CAPITOL AND SOME OTHER BUILDINGS IN WASHINGTON ARE MADE OF CLAN MEMBERS!

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:08 pm
Keeping it Light

Please don't forget about The Netherlands Trump.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:23 am
now we know

Caius wrote:
Libs wrote:

So does that mean he is homophobic since he is not gay or does that mean he is not homophobic since he is, well, not homophobic?

It means he is homophobic, but he's not ONLY homophobic. He irrationally hates anyone that's not like him.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:39 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Trump is going to cheat on Melania with Paul Ryan according to SNL.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm
Extraordinary

.... so this wall is actually happening? God what a fucking waste of time and money. That makes me so angry.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:30 am
now we know

The wall will keep Mexicans in the USA .. slightly. Keep them earning money. Not useless.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:40 am
Profile WWW

Most illegal immigrants come by plane, but you know? Whatever. Let's build a wall because that took me ten seconds to think up and Americans who supported Trump like those knee jerk reaction line of thinking.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:57 am
now we know

Trump just wants to be able to say...

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:08 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I wish there was at least one other Brit on this board.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:08 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I'm surprised there's only one of you, we've got at least a couple of Germans around here and those tend to be a lot more rare to come across on the internet.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next