Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 2135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 86  Next
 The Trump Era: The Awkward Mix of Libertarianism and Fascism 
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Trump Era: The Awkward Mix of Libertarianism and Fas
It’s so dumb though. Trump needs to either

A) give up
B) declare a state of emergency

Would it better to come to a compromise? Yes but it’s no use arguing with brick walls like Schumer and Pelosi.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:19 pm
Keeping it Light

What compromise would you suggest?

Trump did make a bit of a critical mistake, that now hurts him at the negotiation table, to say Mexico would pay for the wall.

Last edited by stuffp on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:32 pm
Defeats all expectations

nghtvsn wrote:
Well tell Nancy and Chuck to allocate 0.0000001% of the federal budget to build/repair/replace fake walls/steel slats/fencing that doesn't work even though there are already fake walls/fencing/slats on various sections of the various border states that apparently do not work even though they all previously voted to build all these fake/immoral fences/slats/walls in the past.

All this fake outrage over 5.7 billion out of a trillion+ dollar budget was and is nonsense.

So you say the existing barrier is fake. How can you guarantee Trump's wall won't be as fake?

That $5.7b figure alone is fake. The admin's own DHS estimate puts the bill at a conservative $21.6b, barring eminent domain and other legal and construction issues. I suppose Trumpists would not want a jerry-built walled prison, right? And don't let Mexico get away with this. Mexico needs to be shut down to pay for the wall.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-wall-exclusive/exclusive-trump-border-wall-to-cost-21-6-billion-take-3-5-years-to-build-internal-report-idUSKBN15O2ZN

https://www.politifact.com/california/statements/2017/apr/28/scott-peters/would-trumps-border-wall-cost-same-one-and-half-us/

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

stuffp wrote:

Trump did make a bit of a critical mistake, that now hurts him at the negotiation table, to say Mexico would pay for the wall.

He said on Friday that he never said such a thing though. How dare you say otherwise! :mer:

Anyway, the worst thing about all of this is how McConnell is choosing to do nothing. The Senate isn't doing its duty. Who cares if Trump says he'll veto any bill that would reopen the government? That's how the process works. Let Trump veto the bill or bills, and then let the them come back to the floor for the override vote. Then, if it passes, it passes; and if it fails, it fails.

I imagine that if this goes on for months, resulting in many federal employees to seek employment elsewhere, not to mention how badly low-income families that rely on services such as HUD and food stamps to get by will be impacted, that enough purple or blue state Republican senators may force McConnell's hand in this.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

stuffp wrote:

Oh I guess not a Compromise. A give in. You can’t compromise on a wall. There either is or isn’t one haha.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:47 pm
Keeping it Light

Yeah, ad I'm not sure what Democrats would want, but I imagine, Trump must be able to give somethings in return, I'm not sure if he has, but that should be a place to start. You give me the wall, and I'll give you this, this and that.

Also, funny:

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 pm
Indiana Jones IV

The Democrats, many of whom will be presidential candidates, are afraid of their base if they support a bill that opens the government but funds the wall. It's 99% politics and 1% financial/moral/ideological at this point for Democrats. Compromise means losing. I truly believe that for Trump the reason is 60% ideological (i.e. his views on immigration) and 40% political.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 am
Defeats all expectations

The logic is pretty simple.

Rule:
Funding of the wall requires approvals from both Congress and the President.

Current situation:
Congress disapproves the funding.
The President approves the funding.

Conclusion:
Funding of the wall is rejected.

Now who is holding federal employees hostage when the wall money has already been rejected?

Trump is a stable genius, smart enough to know better than to abuse President's emergency power. Let's hope.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:36 am
Extraordinary

Trumpbots do not care that Mexico isn’t literally sending pallets of cash to pay for walls,fences,slats whatever you call it.
The 5.7 billion of nothingness is only for 200+ miles of structure. He tried offering a outrageous DACA fix plus...well actually comprehensive illegal immigration reform which I hate that term but that deal fell through.
Any deal like that now would need complete funding again.
Finally, some folks have amnesia here because remember when chuck ran the senate and wouldn’t bring up endless House passed republican bills to the senate floor for a vote? Well because Obama wouldn’t sign them or he himself would say they were doa so why bother. What Mitch is doing is no different.
At this point it’s either give him 3.5 crappy billion for some immigration something or trump declares the national emergency and we go to court which he will win as the law is plain as day but there’s more than a few mentally ill judges out there to say otherwise until it gets to the SC. Hopefully Ginsburg has stepped down by then btw. She’s close

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:00 am
Keeping it Light

I imagine those bills Schumer refused were not a matter of government shutdown.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:33 am
Extraordinary

THis budget bill wouldn’t be either except you have one half of congress opposing 5.7 billion no matter what .

I think they should do a full immigration cleanup. Go back to that DACA stuff . The dems do have the upper hand her I think so why not take it and get almost everything you want from trump and give him the walls that don’t work at the same time . Everyone wins !

#MAGA #KAG!

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:42 am
Extraordinary

If does go to March,l predict the Democrats would cave and give him like 2.5 billion for the wall or something. T say give him 2.5 billion, it is going to cost 20 times to build the wall. It will never get built especially with eminent domain which would take years to decide in court.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
If does go to March,l predict the Democrats would cave and give him like 2.5 billion for the wall or something. T say give him 2.5 billion, it is going to cost 20 times to build the wall. It will never get built especially with eminent domain which would take years to decide in court.

Which is why the "emergency" claim is just bullshit. If it's an "emergency" you have to, by definition, act quickly.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

People who are flipping out about the McDonalds dinner are not helping the cause. Of all the ridiculous things he’s done , this one actually seems authentic and from the heart.

As usual I’ll say that fighting everything trivializes the things worth fighting for. Keep your fire directed towards the 25 billion dollar wall that has broken our government.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:12 pm
New Server, Same X

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
People who are flipping out about the McDonalds dinner are not helping the cause. Of all the ridiculous things he’s done , this one actually seems authentic and from the heart.

Eh, it's not though. Or, I should say it probably is from the heart, as much as "from the heart" can be from Trump. The issue isn't the McDonalds dinner, it's the fact that he had to point out that he paid for it. And I genuinely think that in his mind, that sounds great, but it just sounds like he is desperately seeking credit for it.

It'd be like someone donating money to charity anonymously, then going around saying "Oh wow, someone anonymous donated ten thousand dollars! That's great... yeah, anonymous too. Well, I didn't want people knowing it was me, I'd rather it be about the money and not the recognition. What? Oh... yeah, I'm the one who donated that. Yeah, not a big deal or anything..."

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:08 pm
Extraordinary

I'm sure The Prez pointed out he paid for it because the fiends would have asked who the hell paid for it. There ya have your answer.

Btw, he's done plenty of anonymous acts of kindness in the past according to the keeper of all truth Google, so just Google that.

Lastly, at least the QB apparently loved it. I thought it was tacky myself but whatever. If the players enjoyed it and have this wacky story to tell in the future then leave it at that instead of spinning it negatively.

#MAGA #KAG!

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:16 pm
The Kramer

Fair enough. He definitely didn’t have to brag about it, that’s his natural narcissism . I’m just thinking of it from the perspective of Trump getting what’d he would want to eat if he was in college. Who else can say they ate Mcdonalds and Pizza Hut in the White House.

And, also unmentioned in most media, lobster and cavier are super overrated. Get them some filet mignon if you’re gonna be elitist Michael Strahan. :P

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:18 pm
New Server, Same X

nghtvsn wrote:
I'm sure The Prez pointed out he paid for it because the fiends would have asked who the hell paid for it.

Don't act like if the shoe was on the other foot, Republicans wouldn't have been all over Obama for making taxpayers foot the bill for a bunch of athletes, if he didn't come out and say he paid for it. Which he wouldn't have admitted until they crucified him for it. Would the left have done the same if Trump didn't openly admit it? Probably. But he didn't admit it to beat them to the punch.

I will concede the point that it was a good alternative to a prepared White House meal. When I heard it, I honestly thought it would have been something Obama would have done, and been lauded for it.

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 pm
Keeping it Light

Doing the McDonald's thing and blocking Pelosi s plane are more sensible things than demanding a wall. With those first too he's acting like a regular joe, but the wall thing is a full-on political thing.

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:57 pm
Is this heaven, or is this hell?

In case you think today's Buzzfeed bombshell was the beginning of the end

:funny:

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:14 pm

I have a feeling we’re gonna get this stupid wall

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:11 am
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
I have a feeling we’re gonna get this stupid wall

I hope so!

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:46 am

It will end up being a waste of money, illigel inmigartion occurs through outdated visas, but whatever

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:04 am
The Kramer

If the Dems cave on the wall they will lose in 2020. America has definitely stated they don’t want “weak” politicians. Everyone knows this shutdown is on Trump. And if Trump caves then... He will spin it as a victory and his followers will continue to support him like they have through everything else. What are they gonna do? Vote for Anne Coulter? I don’t think so.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:24 pm
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
It will end up being a waste of money, illigel inmigartion occurs through outdated visas, but whatever

There are 20,000-40,000 illegal crossings a month, which is a 46 year low and definitely better than under Bush when it hit a peak, but it’s not like it’s not an issue at all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/p ... ning-.html

It’s probably not an emergency but it’s not a bad long term investment. It should pay for itself eventually.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 86  Next