Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 So....I’m out 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: So....I’m out
I think Excel had way with words but he is not dedicated like Shack and lilmac enough otherwise we should have seen some traction by now with his ideas.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:29 am
On autopilot for the summer

I was just on BOT and their list of 100 movie characters of all time included 5 Harry Potter characters, at least 4 SW, 2 Batmans, 2 Spiderman, and 9 animated characters. Ughhhh.

Id be down for an overhaul, and as an investor and look at the financials. I could easily help out with marketing and getting advertisers back, and a rise in membership. But that would require a lot of things:

1. Someone who wants to be in charge buys everything.
2. We change the name. KJ is dead.
3. We look through the dead weight topic threads and clean it up. (BOT for instance is a mess with that whole sub forum feature) and decide where we should focus on.
4. Creating a Digital youtube channel (Even if it was something as stupid as Mojo, we'd have a solid link basis, because our top 10 lists are always better than theres, and thats a way to start, We could also have people do trailer reactions if they wanted to, However to Gamur's point, we'd start being more in the open
5. While this is happening, we don't have to be on our best behaviors but the personal insults need to stop. If you disagree, keep it topical. Nothing turns new members away faster than looking at a good box office thread and two of us are talking about how stupid the other person is.

I'm pretty sure we all have great topic ideas. I don't post them anymore just because I hate writing to 3 people that might read it. But if people are truly serious. Then I'm definitely willing to take a chance with them.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 am
Devil's Advocate

Excel would obviously be a huge improvement as owner. As for the main site I could take a big role reviving it

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 am
Superfreak

Algren wrote:
Eagle is a capable technician, not a marketer or entrepreneur. I'm struggling to see Excel as any of these things.

With a specific subject, one who is both grossly uninformed yet (somehow) strong of opinion will not fare well.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Even though Lecter is not active MadGez is. We can ask him to help revive the main page and that would be a great start for now.

In terms of writing articles everyone should have access but it's mostly about what comes in the front page. I know I can still add content on the main page but it will never be highlighted.

MadGez is there a way to start updating the main page? Do you have permissions and can we form a group of admins who can modify/update those pages?

I've also dropped him a PM to get back

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:11 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Thegun wrote:
I was just on BOT and their list of 100 movie characters of all time included 5 Harry Potter characters, at least 4 SW, 2 Batmans, 2 Spiderman, and 9 animated characters. Ughhhh.

Id be down for an overhaul, and as an investor and look at the financials. I could easily help out with marketing and getting advertisers back, and a rise in membership. But that would require a lot of things:

1. Someone who wants to be in charge buys everything.
2. We change the name. KJ is dead.
3. We look through the dead weight topic threads and clean it up. (BOT for instance is a mess with that whole sub forum feature) and decide where we should focus on.
4. Creating a Digital youtube channel (Even if it was something as stupid as Mojo, we'd have a solid link basis, because our top 10 lists are always better than theres, and thats a way to start, We could also have people do trailer reactions if they wanted to, However to Gamur's point, we'd start being more in the open
5. While this is happening, we don't have to be on our best behaviors but the personal insults need to stop. If you disagree, keep it topical. Nothing turns new members away faster than looking at a good box office thread and two of us are talking about how stupid the other person is.

I'm pretty sure we all have great topic ideas. I don't post them anymore just because I hate writing to 3 people that might read it. But if people are truly serious. Then I'm definitely willing to take a chance with them.

I like what your said.
What would be the new name if we want to change it?

Box office Analysis would be one good candidate the next I can think of is Box office Discussions.

I think we need a thread for this as well

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:17 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

B.O. Predictors

Everything you always wanted to know about the B.O. but were afraid to ask.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Now that is a whole different discussion? Do we want to use Box office as the driving force, or use a more broader Movie stance?

You could do something as simple as the ones mentioned and like All Day Box Office, Professional Box Office. Movies Euphoria. You can't reach that step first of all whether or not the owners will sell the site, and if it legal to change the name. I personally would rather buy the website template and start fresh. But if it was possible, I'd start there first. Then whatever happens. We set up everything as for as a new name goes, or site, and disband this one and launch the new one at the same time.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:26 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Good point again Thegun but I would prefer to get the name changed here itself rather than opening a new space. And something tells me I won't be the only one

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:03 pm
now we know

Box Office Rejects.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Gez says he will come back after looking into the main site revamp. In the mean time I think it's also good to gauge the interest of new members if we start a new space.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:15 am
Keeping it Light

So I read somewhere to have a buzzing forum it needs:

5. an engaging owner
4. a member that always gets offended and occasionally leave the forum, only to come back a bit later
3. a deep member, that drops all the deep quotes, prayers maybe, that give you all the philosophy
2. a member that always posts jokes that gets ignored
1. a wildcard who posts outrageous things

KJ is like 2 or 3 out of 5 recently?

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:48 am

Gamaur wrote:
Algren and Thegun's Sweaty Loveshack.

That's actually a great idea for a forum title. Call it The Sauna and it's a part where you talk about anything. Almost our own version of Reddit.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 am
Devil's Advocate

stuffp wrote:

5. an engaging owner
4. a member that always gets offended and occasionally leave the forum, only to come back a bit later
3. a deep member, that drops all the deep quotes, prayers maybe, that give you all the philosophy

Yeah KJ was 5/5 for this at one point

5 - Eagle
4 - Maverikk
3 - DP07
2 - FILMO
1 - BKB

For right now

5 - no
4 - Chippy
3 - Not recently for DP
4 - Not recently for FILMO
5 - Algren, maybe

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Isn't DP07 dead?
FILMO made jokes?

That's a new one.

I've come into this so many times. So many ideas, so much enthusiasm. And then it disappears as quickly as a fart in the wind. There are so many ways just to fix the site as is. Can someone please raise their hand and tell me they are on board with it? This will take more than just movie posters.

There is business/ Analytics/ Financials/ Content. Unless there is a strong platform to build onto, it will fail. KJ has always missed the mark on a lot of it. It only has its obscure loyal members keeping it around, and we should thank Lecter even for that. He's probably losing money every week on the site.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:16 pm
Extraordinary

Oh boy, what's going on here? What's all the doom and gloom about?

There were always down phases at KJ followed by lots of activity. The same thing is happening over at BOT - There are weekends over there when the weekend thread is 200 pages long and other times it's just 20 pages. The movie business is cyclical - and you all should know that (my homepage has its up and downs as well).

I like the fact that KJ is not overrun by hundreds of people who know basically nothing about b.o. - that's why I left the BOM forum 13 years ago to join KJ and I never bothered to join the BOT forum (even though I read some stuff over there).

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

mark66 it's not just talk the activity at KJ is absolutely down to less than 10 active posters at a time even when there is up phase I can count 15 people. Good to know that you think we know a little bit about BO so we use this knowledge to make this prime site for new members to join over the course of time for it's longetivity

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:53 pm
now we know

stuffp wrote:

5. an engaging owner

I count just two.

5 - no
4 - Chippy and Libs
3 - no
2 - FILMO
1 - no

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Thegun wrote:
I've come into this so many times. So many ideas, so much enthusiasm. And then it disappears as quickly as a fart in the wind.

Well, keep doing it. It makes you feel very important and knowledgeable for those few minutes. :thumbsup:

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

mark66 wrote:

There were always down phases at KJ followed by lots of activity. The same thing is happening over at BOT - There are weekends over there when the weekend thread is 200 pages long and other times it's just 20 pages. The movie business is cyclical - and you all should know that (my homepage has its up and downs as well).

I like the fact that KJ is not overrun by hundreds of people who know basically nothing about b.o. - that's why I left the BOM forum 13 years ago to join KJ and I never bothered to join the BOT forum (even though I read some stuff over there).

The problem is that KJ is adding literally 0 new posters, but people leave on a regular basis. With that pattern there is only one ending

I did a rough count and KJ had around 50 posts today, around 10 was this thread and the other save KJ one, without them it would be barely 40, that's with 6 posts by Corpse in the Japan box office thread. It seems to be there could easily be days in the 30s or less. Where is the breaking point? Can it survive on 20 a day? There is a tipping point probably that leads to a ghost town feel and more people abandoning ship. I remember when the filmgasm forum was around and while there was some posters hanging around until the end like loyal posting about Game of Thrones every once in a while and Libs and her probable alt account filmlover posting some numbers and reviews, it was obvious the air was out of the balloon and wasn't coming back

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 am
now we know

Post counting in the lull of September is not a good idea.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:12 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yep but those numbers are terrifyingly low. The downs are very very low where at times it's just 2 of us posting for a few days.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:21 am
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
mark66 wrote:

The problem is that KJ is adding literally 0 new posters, but people leave on a regular basis. With that pattern there is only one ending

I did a rough count and KJ had around 50 posts today, around 10 was this thread and the other save KJ one, without them it would be barely 40, that's with 6 posts by Corpse in the Japan box office thread. It seems to be there could easily be days in the 30s or less. Where is the breaking point? Can it survive on 20 a day? There is a tipping point probably that leads to a ghost town feel and more people abandoning ship. I remember when the filmgasm forum was around and while there was some posters hanging around until the end like loyal posting about Game of Thrones every once in a while and Libs and her probable alt account filmlover posting some numbers and reviews, it was obvious the air was out of the balloon and wasn't coming back

What I would argue is by far the most alarming is the lack of activity around the event times (oscars, blockbusters / record breakers). Activity surrounding Last Jedi, Oscar Season, Avenger IW, Incredibles 2, etc was weak compared to even just 3 years ago with TFA, JW, and A:AoU come out. That was obviously down massively from the 2011-2012 which also behind the peak 2007-2009 run.

KJ can survive the the lulls if people turn out when there is obviously something to analyze or discuss.TFA was nostalgia for the 2000s crowd and prompted discussion, I fear nothing other a TDK/Potter film will rouse that type of interest again.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 am
now we know

All we need to do now is get Warner Bros. on board.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:55 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Algren wrote:
All we need to do now is get Warner Bros. on board.

:funny:

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next